ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Pecora poised to become the all-time winningest college wrestling coach

tikk10

Nov 6, 2015
...at tomorrow night's Pitt-Johnstown Mercyhurst dual. I believe many posters here know Pat or at least know of him.

I don't know Pat, but I'm friends with Pitt's media director who asked me if I knew anyone in wrestling media interested in writing about it. Jason Bryant already knows, of course, so I'm posting here. Let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Great guy. Attended one of his camps during the Carter Administration. He's been a great coach for a long time.

I would like to hear about other opportunities that he turned down to stay at UPJ and what it was about that campus that made him stay. Certainly wasn't the money. Or weather.

Pat, is not only a great coach but an awesome human being! To see him on one of my best friends doorsteps as he recruited him to seeing at the same kids funeral just 3 short years later. When I ran into him at NCAA's last year and the surge this year he came up and said hello to me by name. He's a great guy!

Here's a photo of Pat (center) as a sophomore in high school. I think he went 103 that year. I'm in the upper left.

Awesome. Both that you have it, you're in it, and that everybody has their tube socks cranked up to their knees. Thankful that's a fashion trend that's never been resurrected.

Reactions: danoftw
Awesome. Both that you have it, you're in it, and that everybody has their tube socks cranked up to their knees. Thankful that's a fashion trend that's never been resurrected.

Yes, those socks were really something. Pat and I were co-captains as seniors and I was also on the yearbook staff so I had access to lots of photos. I have more packed away somewhere.

What really is amazing regarding Pat's accomplishments is that we started out wrestling on old horsehair 4x8 mats and only got a real wrestling mat when we were sophomores. Vince Nola, the coach shown in the photo, had a reasonable knowledge of wrestling and was a good motivator, but was only there for our soph and junior years. He was able to get Doug Blubaugh to visit with us once. As seniors, we had a young teacher as coach, but he knew zero about wrestling and was as much a chaperone/administrator as anything. Practices were run by the experienced guys. Neal Brendel, who was a year behind us, was an AA at Yale. Several years later the school did away with wrestling.

After attending West Liberty, Pat coached one year at East Allegheny High then took the job at UPJ. The rest is history.

I know there are a lot of kids that come to this board who probably don't care but I always enjoy when something comes up that affords the over 50 set an opportunity to tap into their high school and college years from decades ago. Thanks nittinsc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT