ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Nardouche

That's because we've never had a head coach that would ask Spyder to clean his house after a team cookout. That's really low rent.
100%. We’ve had our share of controversial housecleanings under O’Brien and Franklin (recall the Sebastianelli drama), but nothing coming even close to the disrespect that’s speculated to have occurred here.

I like how the brain trust in Oakland gave this shitheel a 7-year extension right before the real cracks in the facade began to show.

It's gonna get ugly and I'm gonna love it.
That extension was bizarre. It would have made a little more sense after the 2016 season - a winning record, big wins over us and Clemson - than after the 2017 season, where it wasn’t as if he was going to be a serious candidate for a better job elsewhere.

Their new AD has made a bunch of good hiring moves and has done well to clean up the mess that she inherited in a pretty short span of time (I’d take her over our AD, and I’m not one of the big-time Barbour critics), but I’m not sure whether she won’t regret penning a big Narduzzi extension this early and with this little in terms of results or progress. That said, he’s (somehow) incredibly popular among the fanbase, and I suppose there’s some value in mediocre stability, especially after the Wanny/Haywood/Graham/Chryst parade of coaches.

I’m not sure whether she won’t regret penning a big Narduzzi extension this early and with this little in terms of results or progress. That said, he’s (somehow) incredibly popular among the fanbase, and I suppose there’s some value in mediocre stability, especially after the Wanny/Haywood/Graham/Chryst parade of coaches.

First of all, what's the buyout? If it's negligible, she could have given him a 30 year deal and it wouldn't matter.

I agree with you about the stability factor. That's been missing there for so long that I don't think anyone trusts that the staff (not this staff, just generally speaking) will be there longer than 4 or 5 years. Giving him a long extension helps alleviate those concerns. Though anyone with a brain realizes that contracts are practically worthless when it comes to coaches staying or going.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
First of all, what's the buyout? If it's negligible, she could have given him a 30 year deal and it wouldn't matter.

I agree with you about the stability factor. That's been missing there for so long that I don't think anyone trusts that the staff (not this staff, just generally speaking) will be there longer than 4 or 5 years. Giving him a long extension helps alleviate those concerns. Though anyone with a brain realizes that contracts are practically worthless when it comes to coaches staying or going.
The buyout doesn’t matter - Kevin Stallings had a massive buyout and it didn’t stop them from showing him the door after year two. If Narduzzi doesn’t produce and they think that they can do better, they’ll pay it.

The buyout doesn’t matter - Kevin Stallings had a massive buyout and it didn’t stop them from showing him the door after year two. If Narduzzi doesn’t produce and they think that they can do better, they’ll pay it.
Well they did try to stiff Stallings on the money owed him. I do not recall if this is resolved, but it was a bad look.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Well they did try to stiff Stallings on the money owed him. I do not recall if this is resolved, but it was a bad look.
IIRC, they settled it a few months ago for an undisclosed amount. The total figure of the buyout negotiated by the old AD was comically high for a coach of Stallings’ caliber.

Unfortunately it seems like the 10% of the fanbase that’s craziest is also the loudest. I think also on the message boards with a username to find before, people think they can go uncensored on what they think without any repurcussions.

Thanks for the Temple insight. We were wondering on the pay board about that proposed Temple series since Pitt was in talks of renewing the series around the same time. I know yinz like to do a premier P5 team, secondary level team, then MAC team most years so I didn’t know if a secondary team ever got a home/home from PSU. Just seemed odd. Perhaps they want to help the PSU alums in Philly see a game and they agreed to a deal where Temple gives them more tickets than a normal game?

PSU playing in Philly is a win win for PSU and Temple. Yes, it gives PSU fans in Eastern PA, NJ, and DE an opportunity to buy tickets and make an easy drive to Philly. Surprised Pitt hasnt agreed to a series with Temple. Seems like a nobrainer on many fronts.

Reactions: Shendojoe
PSU playing in Philly is a win win for PSU and Temple. Yes, it gives PSU fans in Eastern PA, NJ, and DE an opportunity to buy tickets and make an easy drive to Philly. Surprised Pitt hasnt agreed to a series with Temple. Seems like a nobrainer on many fronts.

It’s a win for psu only if it’s a 3:1. Temple is not a program that should get a 1:1 series with a top 15 program.

Reactions: ELDADDY
It’s a win for psu only if it’s a 3:1. Temple is not a program that should get a 1:1 series with a top 15 program.
9:1 would be acceptable. Nothing less than that. 9:1 deal is the only acceptable deal for Pitt also.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I wouldn't mind that happening everywhere with this. No need to get the perfect sPitt coach fired.
It's a win/win for anyone who casually or otherwise enjoys watching that program flail around, and its mouthbreathing internet fans go apopleptic. If the guy stays we'll see more incoherent mumbling in media situations, continued weak recruiting, sideline meltdowns, and 4-7 win seasons with the occasional keychain victory to keep unrealistic and ill-fated hopes alive.

If he goes, they'll have a transition to another mediocre head coach, and maybe they'll vomit on their shoes a couple of times during the process like they did recently. Was it before Paul Chryst or after? I cannot remember. Although I do think Heather Lyke is better than that. But she doesn't have a whole lot to work with, financially or otherwise, to attract and retain high level coaching talent.

Either way, schadenfreude will be waiting for anyone who cares to drink it in.

And no, this does not prove there is a rivalry. So many of those fans irrationally hate us and our school, and because of that our baser instincts come out. Two blowout PSU victories to go, and then we're done with them on the field of play. :)

I don’t remember where I said 9-3, but if that’s it I’ll say losses to Miami, Notre Dame, and North Carolina, just because we always lose to North Carolina.

seriously, no flame.....but are you seriously predicting 9-3? with that OL?....and you have 0...i mean 0 'skill' at the skill positions.

I saw Pickett play against Miami. I admit, I was impressed with him. I realize Nards is going to play ball control/run the ball as much as he can (as he should). However, when you guys are down several TDs (unlike the Miami game), the poor kid is going to be running for his life against a decent defense.

anyway...9-3? i mean, i guess anything can happen. I just can't believe a rational Pitt fan would have that much optimism with this year's squad.

btw, McSorely under the lights in Heinz on primetime?....pfft....nothing new for him. He's played in a few big games thus far. i'm curious to see how Pickett handles the pressure......good luck

Reactions: bytir

The buyout absolutely matters. If they have to pay his contract in full to fire him, they'll ride it out longer. If it's only a year or two of salary, then they shorten the leash a lot more. A school like Pitt doesn't have the kind of money needed to buy out coaches every other year.

Reactions: odshowtime
To be honest Paly, I don’t know where he got 9-3. I was thinking more along the lines of 7-5, 8-4 ish. I’ll look back through my history to see where I said that. Maybe I did and I was being a bit optimistic that night. We’d need a lot of things to go our way if that’s the case :)

I’m worried about the OL a little, but probably WR a little more. Pickett is good, but those two won’t help. What gives me optimism is the defense. I think it’ll be much improved.

I’m looking forward to the game. Wish I could come back into town for it (got friends on both sides of the rivalry attending) but it won’t work out. Very excited to see a Pitt primetime game.

gotcha....I don't know much, but i'm thinking 7 wins is Pitt's optimistic cap. but who knows....Pitt got lucky with some easier cross over games, so scheduling might've helped them out. but damn...their OOC schedule?....1-3 easily. ironically, their best chance is against PSU (out of the 3)....but a lot of things would have to go wrong for PSU that night....crazier things have happened, though.

if they win 7-8 games with this squad, Nards will have earned that extension. but there's also a good chance it could get ugly. we'll see

cheers

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Yeah, out of conference is brutal. Lots of winnable games, though. Like I said in the previous post, Albany, Syracuse, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, and North Carolina are all games we should win; Maybe add Ga Tech to that, too. I see us winning one of the hard games (UCF, PSU, ND, VT), maybe it’ll be Va Tech since they some have players suspended and lost some good ones from last year’s team.

And Pitt losing a primetime game on national television against our biggest rival at home? Obviously we never lose those types of games :rolleyes:

Albany, Syracuse, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, and North Carolina.....yeah, agreed...you should win all of these, but there's no reason to think you will. when you're not a great/good team, you typically lose some games you should win in addition to potentially upsetting 1 of the tough ones.

Trust me, I’m a Pitt fan. I know all about those :rolleyes: Besides, it wouldn’t be a Pitt Football season without ruining someone’s season!

that's for sure....my brother in law's a Pitt fan. he was b*tching & moaning over thanksgiving about Pitt and their season. I was like....well, don't worry, they're going to beat Miami this weekend. he looked at me like i was nuts. I was like...oh, it's a total Pitt move....have a losing season, but ruin someone's else championship run lol. yeah, they're good for 1 upset...for sure...i'm hoping it's the Irish;)

Pitt people have no brains.

Yeah, out of conference is brutal. Lots of winnable games, though. Like I said in the previous post, Albany, Syracuse, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, and North Carolina are all games we should win; Maybe add Ga Tech to that, too. I see us winning one of the hard games (UCF, PSU, ND, VT), maybe it’ll be Va Tech since they some have players suspended and lost some good ones from last year’s team.

And Pitt losing a primetime game on national television against our biggest rival at home? Obviously we never lose those types of games :rolleyes:

I can’t recall where I saw the 9-3 but it was mentioned and was delusional. The optimism in the defense is puzzling considering when the improvement occurred it was against teams that finished 70th or above on offense and had terrible qb play. Look it up.

Btw, why should pitt beat NC (they’ve never beat them, Wake Forest (a team that was better than pitt last yr and returns almost everyone), Syracuse(who beat pitt last yr and has a 4yr starter at qb), Duke(returns everyone on D and an experienced qb)

I’d love to know why pitt should win those games when 3 of them are on the road. I’ll give you Albany but even Virginia might be scary on a road Friday night game

All good points Mike. I’ve come to find out that you’re good when it comes to Devil’s Advocate ;) I feel good about the defense. New DC (I believe Conklin was the problem), whole DL is coming back, Wirginis is back at ILB plus a preseason award candidate at OLB (a former walk-on no less), and a secondary that got better as the season went on.

- Wake won’t be a walk-over, but I feel confident that we should beat them. Their defense was 105th in the country, even worse than our’s. Maybe that’s a good thing they’re returning everyone :) Run defense was abysmal and that’s the one thing we’re good at, even at QB. Add to the fact that they would’ve had three of their last four games on the road and Clemson before that, and there may be some fatigue setting in as we come to town.
- North Carolina isn’t looking much better than last year and they’re in trouble with the NCAA again, possible suspensions coming. We play them early in the season so that may affect our matchup. This is the year we beat them.
- We beat Syracuse last year with better QB play. We now have that in Pickett. Add to the fact that we play them at home (a place we haven’t lose to Cuse since 2001) and we should beat them. Dungy is good, though. Absolutely torched us in 2016 with Ismael at WR.
- Duke was injured last year, but we were down as well and we still pulled out a win. We’re both still on the same level but we get them at home. I give the edge to us.

Blaming the DC when your head coach was a DC and called the shots? That’s interesting. Do you think the secondary really improved or they played a VT, Miami, UNC, and Virginia teams that couldn’t put points on the board or pass

Are you sure Pitt is going to be good at running the ball with that line? Wake Forest will win that game

UNC had their entire team injured last year. I’m not sure pitt beats them on the road.

Syracuse is my guess as the only game you will be favored in but I expect them to put up a lot of points.

I’m not saying you will not win a few of these, but “should win”?

Also, the only place I’ve made predictions is PantherLair. I guess you’ve made a few trips over there recently. You should make a post or two while you’re at it. We’d love talk football with ya ;)

We are not allowed to post over there. Your site is too thin skinned to handle it. That’s where I read it.

In fact, I’ve heard pitt fans get banned if you tell it like it is

Reactions: BBrown and Gnat91
I am sure the secondary improved. You need to stop comparing those teams nationally and look how they did on a per-game basis. Three out of the four teams you mentioned had below average passing days when they faced Pitt, some of them by a wide margin. I’d say that goes to show the secondary improved. Also shows that the whole defense improved when their points totals were also lower and were getting more pressure to the QB, which contributed to the lower passing totals.

I’m not why you’re so concerned about the OL. Four out of the five linemen have game experience and have started for us before this year, and one is a grad transfer who started at his old school. I’m not concerned with the OL as a whole, just LG... for now. Different from last year, where I was concerned from top to bottom.

I think we can, and will, be a good team. Good teams should win those types of games. I think they will do it. As for the records, read a few posts back and you will see I predicted 8-4. Seems that you took a few things out of context and ran with it. Cmon Mike!

I think you need to take me more seriously. I predicted Pitt’s record last year. I think you might be looking at things with blue and gold glasses. I’m just trying to help. I actually enjoy fans like you because you’re the best to follow when reality hits

Not only does Pitt’s oline lack depth, it lacks talent and cohesion. Pitt has relied on that line for years to run the ball. You’re one of the few pitt fans who are not concerned. You’re relying on one starter in Bookser. A MAC player whose unit led the entire cfb in sacks allowed, a walk-on, and 2 guys who have played sparingly and were former DTs.

Agreed, but I would be more willing to go 1:1 with Temple because it is almost like playing two home games, because we have so many alumni in the Philly area.

If you've ever taken a trip to the lair, pitt fans don't want to lower themselves to playing Temple.

All good points Mike. I’ve come to find out that you’re good when it comes to Devil’s Advocate ;) I feel good about the defense. New DC (I believe Conklin was the problem), whole DL is coming back, Wirginis is back at ILB plus a preseason award candidate at OLB (a former walk-on no less), and a secondary that got better as the season went on.

- Wake won’t be a walk-over, but I feel confident that we should beat them. Their defense was 105th in the country, even worse than our’s. Maybe that’s a good thing they’re returning everyone :) Run defense was abysmal and that’s the one thing we’re good at, even at QB. Add to the fact that they would’ve had three of their last four games on the road and Clemson before that, and there may be some fatigue setting in as we come to town.
- North Carolina isn’t looking much better than last year and they’re in trouble with the NCAA again, possible suspensions coming. We play them early in the season so that may affect our matchup. This is the year we beat them.
- We beat Syracuse last year with better QB play. We now have that in Pickett. Add to the fact that we play them at home (a place we haven’t lose to Cuse since 2001) and we should beat them. Dungy is good, though. Absolutely torched us in 2016 with Ismael at WR.
- Duke was injured last year, but we were down as well and we still pulled out a win. We’re both still on the same level but we get them at home. I give the edge to us.

Your posts are pretty rationale, especially for a pitt guy. But it is always good to have young college players back after they have taken some lumps. They get bigger, stronger, smarter and make more plays. Just like pitt's DL that was young will get better, Wake's whole D will get better. Pitt's secondary got somewhat better as the season progressed (hard to get worse), but had a player actually drafted I believe, and there is really no top DB talent other than Ford who has yet to play on the pitt roster. There are two ways (at least) to look at most issues, and since you are a pitt fan you do look at it as rosier than it may actually be. PSU is breaking in a bunch of new LB's, but would ANY of pitt's LB's start or even be coming off the bench regularly at PSU?

What I don't understand is the euphoria over Pickett. He looks to have potential, and actually started, what, 1 game? Compared to some of the stiffs that have played QB for pitt the last few years he seems to be an upgrade, but there is a great distance between an upgrade over recent QB's to an actual top 25 percentile P5 QB that consistently makes big plays and pulls out close games. Pickett is much more on-the-come than proven and could experience another year of growing pains. It's not as if Duchie has a track record for developing QB's, either. But if I was a pitt fan, and watched the trail of QB disasters during Duchie's reign, I would be upbeat about the possibilities. But the stiffs that played QB for Duchie so far at least had the above average OL talent that Christ left behind.

As PSU fans with knowledge of our roster, we can't imagine the collection of castaways pitt is starting on their OL (other than Demo-Derby Bookster) stopping Miller, Buchholz, Simmons, Toney, Parsons, etc from wrecking your young QB........

If you've ever taken a trip to the lair, pitt fans don't want to lower themselves to playing Temple.
Aren't you playing Albany State of NY? Didn't you play Villanova two years ago?Temple is a step down from Youngstown St.? Two of the past three seasons, Temple has finished top 25 AND won 10 games. Anyone over on the Lair remember what that feels like?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
50% of Pitt’s starting secondary left in the draft. Dane Jackson had what I’d call a decent year. Who is on the other side? A complete unknown that has had very few snaps. The same with safety. Pitt is basing their secondary based on projection and not results.

LOL I wish I still had those glasses after all these years. I lost those a long time ago. If you like those types of Yinzers, you shoulda seen my brother. One 5-win season after back-to-back good years and he said we should drop football and go back to the Big East.

I’m not too worried about the starting line. I do agree that the depth is concerning. I guess that’s how it is with any coach if you’re not a blueblood. You’ll be weak somewhere. We were weak in the secondary when Chryst was here.

Again, I hope we do good, and I think we will. If things go south, it is what it is. After 40 years of this, the world won’t end now.

Speaking only for myself, I enjoy your posts. I hope you can continue to visit and share insights. Every fan base has a percentage of lunatics. I've been to PSU games where I wished I could move.Until 2016, I never visited "The Lair," and being a Pa. guy I rooted for Pitt every time they were on TV (with the obvious exception.) The Lair residents put an end to that forever.

Pretty amazing how they have all dumped on this guy Ox over on the Lair. They are willing to sell a 30 yr+ alum down the river in a heartbeat, just to build up Narduzzi, who will leave the very second he gets a chance.

They descend to new depths every single day.

They are National Champions at rationalizing.
If rumors are true that a dispute over "cleanup" led to dismissal......I smell a lawsuit.

Reactions: nittany dave
Speaking only for myself, I enjoy your posts. I hope you can continue to visit and share insights. Every fan base has a percentage of lunatics. I've been to PSU games where I wished I could move.Until 2016, I never visited "The Lair," and being a Pa. guy I rooted for Pitt every time they were on TV (with the obvious exception.) The Lair residents put an end to that forever.

I enjoy his posts too. It’s nice to be able to discuss football without being banned. It’s too bad Pantherlair doesn’t allow it. Truth be told the truth hurts and Pitt fans would rather not hear it

Can’t argue with those points Greg. We’ll see if that holds true for Wake Forest.

As for Pickett, the Miami game wasn’t his only appearance. He also got a heavy dose of playing time in the NCST and VT games. He showed a few flashes in the NCST game and when they benched the starter at VT, he dug us out of a hole and was one yard away from pulling off the comeback. I think what excites fans is the versatility he has, passing and running. That’s something we haven’t had in a while, perhaps ever with his feet. He could extend plays quite well for a freshman, something that may come in handy this year. As for the QB position overall, I think it’s unfair to put that on Narduzzi. That isn’t the position or side of the ball he oversees and, for whatever reason, has chosen to go with grad transfers rather than develop a QB. Perhaps it’s because of the revolving door at OC. I thought they did a good job with Peterman, who was a 2-year starter and ended up getting drafted.

Also, I think you’re underestimating Bookser. When he’s not terrorizing the streets of Oakland, he’s a strong interior threat ;)

I complemented Bookster as a player. But it really takes a couple very good OLinemen and the rest being average to get the job done, especially with a young QB and less than average WR talent. Unfortunately Bookster can only play 1 OL position at a time.

Yes, Peterman had some success. But the development of QB's, being of utmost importance to actually winning games, is the responsibility of the head coach. Just can't let Duchie off the hook. The head coach is the lead recruiter for all recruits and saying a head coach is only responsible for the defense is not realistic, and if true a recipe for disaster. We like to quote Franklin's introduction speech where he said that it is easier to win with better players. In today's game talent at QB and the development of QB's should be the top priority for every head coach. At least it is for every successful head coach.

I realize Pickett played in multiple games. I said he only started 1 game, which is what I believe to be true.

I enjoy his posts too. It’s nice to be able to discuss football without being banned. It’s too bad Pantherlair doesn’t allow it. Truth be told the truth hurts and Pitt fans would rather not hear it
I made two posts there last fall. Neither post was even remotely contentious. The one that got me banned for life was in response to a post where the writer was bragging about how they "contained" a great running back. I replied,"now you are saying SB is a great back?" That was it!

Reactions: bison13
I was banned after one post. They were kind of laughing at Adam Brenneman being nominated for some TE or AA award. I posted his background and stats and was banned. BTW, I was friends with three Pitt players from my high school that have championship rings. A real championship...lol

Same here. Like I said earlier, I enjoy talking football with other fan bases as much as my own. You become more knowledgeable about the rest of the country.

I will say when I first started conversing online that I was surprised about how evil and hate-filled the rivalry had become in general. Maybe it was just my neighborhood, but growing up we had both Pitt and Penn State people on the street and enjoyed the games. It was more of a bragging rights thing. We weren’t bad to each other. There was no hatred; It was fun getting together and watching the games. It was the same way when we lived in the Ohio Valley and had Pitt and WVU fans on the same street.

It’s too bad some have created that reputation for us. Like I said earlier, just remember it’s the 10% of the base that’s the worst and, usually, the loudest. Then people think that they’re the rule, not the exception.

Are you referring to pre Sandusky? Post Sandusky almost every Pitt fan I know has taken what happened and turned it into an embarrassment for their agenda

Reactions: GregInPitt
I made two posts there last fall. Neither post was even remotely contentious. The one that got me banned for life was in response to a post where the writer was bragging about how they "contained" a great running back. I replied,"now you are saying SB is a great back?" That was it!

Yep, at the start of last season the lair consensus seemed to be that SB was way over rated.

I haven't check back there lately to see it they may be trying to get him to loan them the money they need for an on campus stadium.....

In real life, pre and post Sandusky. It didn’t change anything. The people I know, Pitt and Penn State, acknowledged what happened was terrible and moved on.

Now I know that my experiences aren’t the same as everyone else’s, but I’d just find it petty taking something like that and using it as some advantage over a rival. I didn’t join a message board before the Sandusky scandal, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I will say on the message boards, it’s still brought up occasionally if it resurfaces in the news.

I think you might be telling a little fib. I know a lot of pitt fans, graduates, etc and not one of them moved on even today

The Lair thread is absolutely disgraceful. Pittmeister is the most delusional loser I've ever seen. He's literally making up relationships that he has with people close to the program to defend douche. Like somehow Ox decided to up and leave a month before the season started. A guy that spent his whole life at Pitt randomly decided to leave the staff and players in a lurch. Okay.

I actually think the Lair is the gift that keeps on giving. If you even need a good laugh or want to see people separated from reality, visit. It is must see comedy

I think the parking lots around Heinz in September will reveal that quite a few Pitt fans have not moved on.

I actually think that JF's success has led to this. If PSU football was in the toilet, like Pitt, we wouldn't hear as much about the JS stuff anymore. But since JF is kicking Narduzzi's ass on the recruiting trail, and PSU is a national name once again while Pitt is frankly more irrelevant now than they've ever been, the jealousy that rages is keeping the JS story alive and well in the hearts of all 13 Pitt fans.

ADVERTISEMENT