ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Stepping Down

Why is it so difficult to treat people properly? This happens so often that it just reinforces my belief that humans are just terrible.
No, it’s just that people’s standards for treating others is changing and not everyone advances at the same rate.

Reactions: psuro
This is so bogus. Barron and his SS squad are woke now so it was just a matter of “investigating”, like the Freeh report, because they had their desired result. Now they had to connect the dotes. The admin at this university is pretty bad and so weak. Can’t wait for them to move on. Don’t they have a GFloyd scholarship fund?

This is so bogus. Barron and his SS squad are woke now so it was just a matter of “investigating”, like the Freeh report, because they had their desired result. Now they had to connect the dotes. The admin at this university is pretty bad and so weak. Can’t wait for them to move on. Don’t they have a GFloyd scholarship fund?

Do you happen to know the specifics that the investigation apparently revealed?

Reactions: Thomas1945
So basically there is nothing he could have done that would end in you agreeing that he deserved to get fired?

That's what I'm getting at with my question above.

Does anybody here actually know what the investigation yielded?

Because if not, I'm not sure how you could either denounce this or support it absent those basic facts.

2 years ago, both Jeff Capel and Danny Hurley got hired at Pitt and UCONN respectively for that amount. Would they have taken the Penn State job if it was open and offered at the time? I don’t know, but I’d rather have someone like either Capel or Hurley get hired who is a “known name” to prospective recruits, someone they want to come play for verses someone they have to Google to find out who he is.
Unfortunately, UConn and Pitt are a rung or two above us when it comes to basketball jobs.

And was Danny Hurley really a “known name” to 15-17 year old kids? I like him as a coach a lot (and much more than his brother) and he did good things at Rhode Island, but had he come here and it didn’t work out, I’m sure we’d be reading that we should have hired a “big name” instead of him.

Pat goes out flexin'....

Ek4iEllXEAUmJzo

Where's Bobby Knight when you need him?

So who does Sandy hire now that the job is open? Does she hire another no name mid-major coach that eveyone will need to Google to fgure out who he is? Or for once, does Penn State pony up and be willing to pay a name head coach 3 million+ a year to come to Happy Valley? I guess we will find out whether Penn Tate wants to continue to treat its basketball program like a cash cow or do they want to grow the program and make it competitive in the Big Ten and nationally. Sadly, my money is on the former,
Good luck getting her to commit to a big time hire when they are faced with massive decreases in revenues due to COVID. The timing couldn't be worse for them to make an investment that is larger than we historically have seen. And if they do, and also come out and cut sports or something like that in the near future, it's going to create a shitstorm of bad PR. I fully expect another unknown coach at a reasonable salary that won't move the needle in terms of program stature.

Maybe I'm not paying attention, but do most coaches list their top 10 accomplishments in their resignation statement?
Weird.
That says it all, IMO. That reads like Pat was asked to resign or be subjected to an arduous termination process that inevitably wouldn't have ended well for him. So spinning the resignation with accomplishments positions him for whatever comes next. The circumstances around his departure will be challenging to overcome in today's environment.

Reactions: bison13
Good luck getting her to commit to a big time hire when they are faced with massive decreases in revenues due to COVID. The timing couldn't be worse for them to make an investment that is larger than we historically have seen. And if they do, and also come out and cut sports or something like that in the near future, it's going to create a shitstorm of bad PR. I fully expect another unknown coach at a reasonable salary that won't move the needle in terms of program stature.
Agree 100% and that’s my fear. Due to the covid revenue issues, Sandy will be stuck with a DeChellis/Chambers level budget and we’ll end up hiring the interim coach, JimFerry.

Reactions: Sharkies
Anyone else think James Franklin will keep an eye on how this develops. Would he look to jump ship to avoid the woke administration making Penn State athletics a less than favorable work environment. I suspect that Chambers resigned after being confronted with the "results" of the investigation and basically decided it wasn't worth dealing with the obstacles in his way.

In the end I believe Pat will be remembered as a better person than coach, but he certainly is leaving the program in a better place than he inherited. I wouldn't be shocked that the number of defections from the program will be quite high.

Oh, come on...this is the age of victimhood and grievance hustling. Not saying there's nothing to it, but let's hold off until more is known...
I think we heard this past summer. Here's one of Lamar's tweets on the subject.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I think we heard this past summer. Here's one of Lamar's tweets on the subject.

And Josh Reaves wasn't nearly as forgiving...As with everything, I'm sure there are many sides to the story (and different current/former players had different experiences)

I'd certainly think so.
Wasnt sure if he and jay had any kind of arrangement or if he preferred something else.

That would be my first call if I'm sandy. New york guy, coaches in philly so two nice ins for recruiting along with the nova name association.

In her press conference, Sandy seemed to indicate Ferry would be the coach through the upcoming season.

If the investigation was only about the noose comment, then good for him for resigning from that circus. If it’s more than that, I’ll change my mind about him but he’s always seemed like a genuine person.

If the investigation was only about the noose comment, then good for him for resigning from that circus. If it’s more than that, I’ll change my mind about him but he’s always seemed like a genuine person.

That's exactly where I'm at.

I have to assume there was more than just the noose comment. But, no sense in making any judgments until we know more.

He always seemed like a decent guy. But there are frequently other sides to people that we'd never expect would be true. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: bison13
That's exactly where I'm at.

I have to assume there was more than just the noose comment. But, no sense in making any judgments until we know more.

He always seemed like a decent guy. But there are frequently other sides to people that we'd never expect would be true. I guess we'll see.
Sandy also said it was something beyond the reported story from last July.

Wasnt sure if he and jay had any kind of arrangement or if he preferred something else.

That would be my first call if I'm sandy. New york guy, coaches in philly so two nice ins for recruiting along with the nova name association.
My somewhat realistic candidate pool would include guys like...

Johnny Dawkins
Tommy Amaker
Mike Rhoades (though he likely waits for a better opportunity)
Jon Scheyer (ok, he probably REALLY falls outside of the realistic pool)
John Becker
Adrian Autry
Micah Shrewsberry (possibly my favorite realistic option)

In her press conference, Sandy seemed to indicate Ferry would be the coach through the upcoming season.

This is how the whole mess started after we joined the Big Ten.

Parkill got forced out. Dunn took over. Dunn had a good year and hung around for 7 more.

Please PSU Don't make the same mistake even if Ferry somehow has a good season.

I would put Thad Matta and Tommy Amaker high on the list and let's hope this time we finally hire a serious guy.

The real question in my mind is how many walkon players are we going to have to endure in the rotation while the new coach waits to get "his players" this time around???

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
The real question in my mind is how many walkon players are we going to have to endure in the rotation while the new coach waits to get "his players" this time around???

The even more real question is what are the odds that DeChellis and Kanaskie come back and start sending scholarship offers to Scandanavians sight unseen.

DeChelis may have another Chewbacca left in him.

My somewhat realistic candidate pool would include guys like...

Johnny Dawkins
Tommy Amaker
Mike Rhoades (though he likely waits for a better opportunity)
Jon Scheyer (ok, he probably REALLY falls outside of the realistic pool)
John Becker
Adrian Autry
Micah Shrewsberry (possibly my favorite realistic option)

Dont know if any if the Duke guys would do it.

Without checking I believe rhoades is vcu and would be nice but agree he goes to a bigger profile place. Becker, is he the Vermont coach? Not bad but not quite the name guy. Would shrewsberry really leave in conference?

Jaimon Christian possible?

Would shrewsberry really leave in conference?

To go from assistant to head coach yes. But he doesn't really make that much sense for this job.

Dwayne Stephens is probably a prime candidate. In the good old days he would have been the only candidate using Tim Curley's 1-degree of separation from PSU method.

I would not be even slightly surprised if Joe and Jon Crispin try to float their own names as if they are actual candidates. With Curley they probably would have succeeded.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
What are Ferry's credentials to be a head coach in the Big Ten?

What do you want them to do? October 21 is the worst possible time to start a search for a head coach and we would end up with a total dud.

Sandy has a chance to do this right and build up some interest. The key phrase is "has a chance"

Seriously? This all went down late this afternoon, and you’re looking for us to have already hired someone (and/or not have anyone leading things in the meantime)?
Yes, seriously. Ferry has zero credentials to be a head coach in the big ten.

We have a total dud right now.

One who has no job security and will be gone in March 2021 at the latest. Do a national search right now and you can only get someone who is trying to escape some other situation before they get fired. And you end up signing them for 4-5 years.

If Sandy can get some fundraising going maybe we can actually go out and make a big hire after this season.

To go from assistant to head coach yes. But he doesn't really make that much sense for this job.

Dwayne Stephens is probably a prime candidate. In the good old days he would have been the only candidate using Tim Curley's 1-degree of separation from PSU method.

I would not be even slightly surprised if Joe and Jon Crispin try to float their own names as if they are actual candidates. With Curley they probably would have succeeded.
He'd make a lot of sense to me. Young guy, great pedigree (learning under two of the best coaches in the game), said to be a very strong recruiter, good resume with his Big Ten ties and his time in the NBA, etc. He's one of those guys that is an up and comer and likely skips the Summit League type job on his way up the ladder. Surround him with some Philly/DMV/NYC assistants and I think he'd have a good chance to succeed. And he'd be the type of guy we wouldn't have to break the bank for today.

Stephens has always been on my list, but every year that goes by that he doesn't end up somewhere else, I wonder about him. He's someone that likely would need a Summit/OVC type job along the way.

Why would the Crispin brothers "float their own names as if they are actual candidates"? Knowing Joe, I can't think of something that seems more unlike him. And I don't think Jon has any interest in coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT