ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Stepping Down

Lame that they just name an interim coach instead of sacking up and making a hire.

Practice has already started. No head coach is going to leave his present gig at this point. The right choice is to conduct a full search in the spring. I hope Ferry does well and puts himself in the running, which would mean that we have a pretty good season.

Ferry is probably a better X-and-O guy than Chambers. I'm not sure he's the motivator and recruiter that Chambers is, but Ferry is well-respected in the profession. Duquesne was a tough job, and Penn State is arguably the toughest job in P5 basketball, which is why "big name" coaches won't be standing 10 deep on Barbour's doorstep.

Yes, seriously. Ferry has zero credentials to be a head coach in the big ten.

I will say that we should not be in this situation because Chambers probably should have been fired when he missed the postseason for DJ Newbill's entire career, almost definitely should have been fired when he shoved Dread, and it was just way past due when the Bolton stuff came out. Now we are in a mess because we let a guy go too late, and it was pretty clear he wasn't going to last much longer.

Reactions: ButlerEagle
Anyone else think James Franklin will keep an eye on how this develops. Would he look to jump ship to avoid the woke administration making Penn State athletics a less than favorable work environment. I suspect that Chambers resigned after being confronted with the "results" of the investigation and basically decided it wasn't worth dealing with the obstacles in his way.

In the end I believe Pat will be remembered as a better person than coach, but he certainly is leaving the program in a better place than he inherited. I wouldn't be shocked that the number of defections from the program will be quite high.
No, because:

1. It's not like PSU is uniquely woke. It is widespread throughout academia
2. Franklin is a savvy guy and great communicator. I don't think he's likely to say something that could get him fired (not saying Chambers deserved it either, but some are able to navigate our PC world better than others)
3. PSU football is 20x the bigger deal than PSU basketball and Franklin has had a ton of success. Longer leash
4. Franklin is AA. Gives him some protection from the PC police

One who has no job security and will be gone in March 2021 at the latest. Do a national search right now ,and you can only get someone who is trying to escape some other situation before they get fired. And you end up signing them for 4-5 years.

If Sandy can get some fundraising going maybe we can actually go out and make a big hire after this season.
You could potentially find the right coach today, especially since we don't know if this has been in the works and conversations have already started. I don't want us to rush the search just to have someone in the next month, but if we found a guy currently out of work or an assistant that would make a big career move (and $ move) to take our job, I'd definitely like our chances. Will be tougher for guys that are in a stable position today, but $ talks.

Why would the Crispin brothers "float their own names as if they are actual candidates"? Knowing Joe, I can't think of something that seems more unlike him. And I don't think Jon has any interest in coaching.

They have mused about it on more than one occasion, that they would return one day to coach Penn State. Maybe now that they have gotten older they grew out of it. But if you do hear their names, I don't think it would be coming from anywhere else except themselves.

You could potentially find the right coach today, especially since we don't know if this has been in the works and conversations have already started. I don't want us to rush the search just to have someone in the next month, but if we found a guy currently out of work or an assistant that would make a big career move (and $ move) to take our job, I'd definitely like our chances. Will be tougher for guys that are in a stable position today, but $ talks.

Shaka Smart could easily get fired after this season at Texas. It would be awesome if we pulled that off.

Attended a coaches caravan back in the day and took my young son with me. Coach Chambers sat at our table and talked to my son who was about 7-8 years old at the time for a good half hour straight. Down to earth, real, and dedicated to Penn State.

Historically we have never found the right guy. Back in 2003 there were at least three names interested who might have turned the program around (Lavin, Dunphy, and Martelli) and we decided to hire an alum who was at ETSU.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Bizarre. It’s odd that many of his players stood up for him in July after the Bolton incident, yet Sandy said there was more than that incident. Chambers treated his players like shit yet they defended him?

Chambers’ tweet is unusual on the heels of a resignation, but he is obviously trying to stay ahead of whatever happened at PSU and is trying to position himself for another coaching job. Perhaps he also doesn’t buy what went on with PSU’s investigation and summarized his accomplishments as a “F*ck you” to Sandy.

Bizarre. It’s odd that many of his players stood up for him in July after the Bolton incident, yet Sandy said there was more than that incident. Chambers treated his players like shit yet they defended him?

Chambers’ tweet is unusual on the heels of a resignation, but he is obviously trying to stay ahead of whatever happened at PSU and is trying to position himself for another coaching job. Perhaps he also doesn’t buy what went on with PSU’s investigation and summarized his accomplishments as a “F*ck you” to Sandy.
I read his statement as half resignation, half job resume.
For the first half of your post, it is possible for different players to have had different interactions with him. Some may have come out in support of him because they had no issues with him at all. That doesn’t mean he treated everybody appropriately. It’s an interesting story for sure.

Tough being a coach in today's woke culture. Any negativity toward a player can be construed as mistreatment. The days of a coach grabbing you and screaming "your killing me out there" are over. With the NCAA allowing so much free movement now the kids now how to play the game. Everyone player in college is being held back from the NBA by a coach that doesn't see their potential correctly.

Maybe Chambers is a bad guy maybe he isn't but today's cancel culture is an additional hurdle to navigate.

that’s a bad thing? #whyohyouapostropheRE

I would hire Earl Grant from the College of Charleston. He is basketball’s version of CJF.
The difference for me is that Franklin is a PA guy, while Grant has no ties (as far as I’m aware) to the Northeast, Big Ten, or any of our natural recruiting areas. I like him as a coach, but unless we are starting a pipeline to the Carolinas, then he’d be starting at ground zero building the needed AAU connections.

The difference for me is that Franklin is a PA guy, while Grant has no ties (as far as I’m aware) to the Northeast, Big Ten, or any of our natural recruiting areas. I like him as a coach, but unless we are starting a pipeline to the Carolinas, then he’d be starting at ground zero building the needed AAU connections.
How about Dawn Staley? Her name was floated around after the Sixers fired Brett Brown for coach. She checks a lot of boxes off regarding PSU.

They have mused about it on more than one occasion, that they would return one day to coach Penn State. Maybe now that they have gotten older they grew out of it. But if you do hear their names, I don't think it would be coming from anywhere else except themselves.
Joe isn’t even the most qualified member of Rowan’s current athletic department for this job.

that’s a bad thing? #whyohyouapostropheRE
I don't think it is necessarily bad but sports are emotional. I had many different coaches that would light you up if you were in the game and doing your job. They also never came at you if they could see you were outmatched. I don't think yelling at players is some form of abuse. I know people do. I just happen to disagree.

Anyone else think James Franklin will keep an eye on how this develops. Would he look to jump ship to avoid the woke administration making Penn State athletics a less than favorable work environment. I suspect that Chambers resigned after being confronted with the "results" of the investigation and basically decided it wasn't worth dealing with the obstacles in his way.

In the end I believe Pat will be remembered as a better person than coach, but he certainly is leaving the program in a better place than he inherited. I wouldn't be shocked that the number of defections from the program will be quite high.
No.

I will say that we should not be in this situation because Chambers probably should have been fired when he missed the postseason for DJ Newbill's entire career, almost definitely should have been fired when he shoved Dread, and it was just way past due when the Bolton stuff came out. Now we are in a mess because we let a guy go too late, and it was pretty clear he wasn't going to last much longer.
Sandy!

I read his statement as half resignation, half job resume.
For the first half of your post, it is possible for different players to have had different interactions with him. Some may have come out in support of him because they had no issues with him at all. That doesn’t mean he treated everybody appropriately. It’s an interesting story for sure.
For sure. Look at Bobby Knight - he had overwhelming support from his players and former players at Indians.

That’s true but still worth a look IMHO. Winning helps build relationships. I’m not sure our next coach needs to be a Philly guy or even a B10 guy.

Good job woke cancel culture. This generation is soft as baby shit. Disgruntled little bitches, still mad about PT on a single digit conference win team. Bunch of losers who need to move on.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
That’s what I was thinking. This ‘investigation’ has been going on for months. Sandy had to have updates and knew what was coming. She should have been talking to potential candidates already. Should have an announcement in a couple weeks if she has been doing her job.

Good job woke cancel culture. This generation is soft as baby shit. Disgruntled little bitches, still mad about PT on a single digit conference win team. Bunch of losers who need to move on.
I’d tell you that playing time certainly wasn’t an issue for Bolton, but I wouldn’t want to let facts get in the way of a good, juvenile rant...

Weird timing...normally, this would be an awful time to be looking, but the coaching carousel never really happened this year due to COVID. Plus, $ being tight right now could really negatively hurt this search.

If we do decide to play ball right now, I’d expect a John Becker/James Jones/Ben Jacobson type (some recent success at a mid-major). Or maybe an Amaker that also has the experience (though not a successful one) at a bigger school. (edit - forgot probably by favorite option, Johnny Dawkins).

I expect a no name from a small school that will work for the lowest head coach’s salary in the B1G will be the hire.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
There isn't a good excuse; when the first allegations of mistreatment came out concerning the use of an inappropriate phrase ('removing the noose around your neck' or something similar...) I thought, that seems like a bit of an overreaction - it's a pretty common phrase for the circumstance (noting the negative cultural connotation it has can be lost in translation). So, I thought he made a simple faux pas and thus believed a pass was in order. But, if he's resigning, could be there is a lot more to this that is much worse. Can't make a judgment now without hearing everything - and there were several players who came to his defense. That said, it's a high pressure sport/job and people think Bobby Knight is a hero. 😬

I dunno... was it like this?

Or...

did the players pull this one...

ADVERTISEMENT