ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

It's named for the 1980s wrestler, not his dad who was the coach at the time.

Tom Best Jr died in a car wreck a few years ago. IIRC the tourney was named in his honor shortly afterward.
In the late 70's, my son was 9 and had qualified for Regions for the first time. He was psyched. We went up to Bethlehem from SE PA, went to the high school where the Regions were being held. I had seen the seeding charts on the wall in the gym and went outside to greet my wrestlers. My son came up with a group of my kids. I turned to a parent next to me and said, "Watch this." I said to my son, "I've seen the charts." He smiled and said, "Oh yeah, who'd I get in the first round?"
I said, "Tom Best". You could see that smile flow off of his face.

In the late 70's, my son was 9 and had qualified for Regions for the first time. He was psyched. We went up to Bethlehem from SE PA, went to the high school where the Regions were being held. I had seen the seeding charts on the wall in the gym and went outside to greet my wrestlers. My son came up with a group of my kids. I turned to a parent next to me and said, "Watch this." I said to my son, "I've seen the charts." He smiled and said, "Oh yeah, who'd I get in the first round?"
I said, "Tom Best". You could see that smile flow off of his face.
cold-blooded.gif

Drama in the valley-

just heard this weekend at club practice, Bethlehem Catholic has some serious issues going down within. Coaches, parents, state champions transferring out on the next episode of Wrestling drama in the Valley. They better start recruiting hard to fill the shoes of the one they are losing.

Last edited:
State champions, plural? Who are we talking about?

Beca has 2 state champs: Kasak and Desmond. Kasak is supposedly taking the Nick Lee NWLC Year. So who are the plural champs transferring out?

Unless you're talking about PJW champs, in which case whatever.

Smalls- you should do your PA HS recruiting rankings. Who is bringing in the best recruits for this upcoming season. Nazareth, Waynesburg, Becca, McCruit, Reynolds, Notre Dame?

Reactions: nitlion6
State champions, plural? Who are we talking about?

Beca has 2 state champs: Kasak and Desmond. Kasak is supposedly taking the Nick Lee NWLC Year. So who are the plural champs transferring out?

Unless you're talking about PJW champs, in which case whatever.
Curious if Desmond is getting recruited by Nazareth or maybe Easton. I believe he lives outside of Wind Gap near Bushkill Twp. That could either be Pen Argyl or Nazareth school district. He also has family in Easton District with his Ciasulli connection. If Jody Karam made a play for Nate, I would think Jeff Karam would be in pretty nasty mood.
I might see my Lehigh Valley "informant" on the 4th. I'll post if I get a little more details

Reactions: BrockBronson
His top five schools he will be looking to transfer too.
1. Nazareth- lives near by, Crowell will say he never heard of him and never had a transfer in all his years of coaching. Big plus he would live with the supporter/coach who houses the transfers from the last two years. Hartmen will definitely approve this.
2. Pen Argyl- has a good relationship here and ties to the program. Hartmen may not approve this. He wants loaded teams and bragging rights on the PIAA team states.
3. NDGP- this may be a play with ND bringing in a few more from NJ and adding some horse power with Fuzzagatto & Sumpeloc they look to push Faith Academy for top 2022-23 incoming class. Hartmen will definitely approve, locks up another D11 AA title.
4. State College- this would put him out by M2 and NLWC. He would be on a solid team but Hartmen would never allow it and frankly would go hard to get the whole program in trouble.
5. Faith Academy- everyone thinking about relocating has this program circled.They have a mega class coming in and from all over. They won half the weights at MS States. His only fear would be getting bigger and would struggle for a starting spot.

Then you have Sem and Blair. Honestly if I was in this situation this would be the direction. Nothing Dr Hartmen can do here.

Curious if Desmond is getting recruited by Nazareth or maybe Easton. I believe he lives outside of Wind Gap near Bushkill Twp. That could either be Pen Argyl or Nazareth school district. He also has family in Easton District with his Ciasulli connection. If Jody Karam made a play for Nate, I would think Jeff Karam would be in pretty nasty mood.
I might see my Lehigh Valley "informant" on the 4th. I'll post if I get a little more details
Is the informant Hartman?

I heard today what maybe happened at BECA involving Desmond. All I can say, if it's true it is an unbelievable situation. Does not have anything to do with a discipline or recruiting situation.
I can not elaborate anymore on it. One reason is, I contacted someone that has inside but he said has not confirmed it. Even if the story is validated, I would not share with public.
I'm certain Smalls might know about it, but truly can't put it out in the media if it's true.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrockBronson
"certain" Smalls "might" know about it.....

I'm certain all of us may or may not know about it....j/k ;)

Reactions: nitlion6
I said I would try to find out. I had know idea what I was going to hear. I probably shouldn't have posted anything but thought before someone questioned Desmond motivation on maybe moving on from BECA, I would make the forum aware it was unique and complicated.
I promise I won't comment on it anymore if it ends up being true.
Sorry.

I heard today what maybe happened at BECA involving Desmond. All I can say, if it's true it is an unbelievable situation. Does not have anything to do with a discipline or recruiting situation.
I can not elaborate anymore on it. One reason is, I contacted someone that has inside but he said has not confirmed it. Even if the story is validated, I would not share with public.
I'm certain Smalls might know about it, but truly can't put it out in the media if it's true.
The Days of our Lives: Lehigh Valley Edition
*Willie snag the rights to the D11 Reality show before FLO does. Lots of hot topics.

What is the date of the Becca vs Saucon Valley Match? I won’t miss that one.

The Days of our Lives: Lehigh Valley Edition
*Willie snag the rights to the D11 Reality show before FLO does. Lots of hot topics.

What is the date of the Becca vs Saucon Valley Match? I won’t miss that one.
I saw 2 D11 "insiders" just by chance this weekend. I can confirm the primary story I heard was true. They knew more on what the future situation might be but would not elaborate.

Last edited:
Will ❤️Man release a Becca stud to Saucon Valley? Will NDGP allow this to happen? The twisted webs they weave in da Valley

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Tom Best was a fantastic wrestler. I am assuming the tourney is named after his dad? The Tom Best I wrestled would be around 51 or 52.
Tom Best Jr graduated Williamsport 1989. Tom Sr wrestled at East Stroudsburg in late 60's, coached at Williamsport 70's thru late 90's

Tournament is named after Jr

Reactions: hlstone
If memory serves, Tom was a 4x state finalist who won his lone championship by fall with a headlock, which was pretty epic if you followed wrestling in the late 80s and were there.
Correct, he lost in State Finals, first 3 years, and then got the win his Sr year with his infamous headlock

Reactions: mcpat
I was there for all of Tom Best's finals. When he was a Junior he wrestled a kid from Huntingdon named Jason Shea. Shea destroyed him with an easy tech fall. It was shocking.

His Senior year, Best met Brian Campbell from Pottstown in the finals . They got into a pissin' contest, as both were head hunters. Best caught Campbell and got a first period fall.

I might point out that I spelled "Huntingdon" with a 'd'.

I was there for all of Tom Best's finals. When he was a Junior he wrestled a kid from Huntingdon named Jason Shea. Shea destroyed him with an easy tech fall. It was shocking.

His Senior year, Best met Brian Campbell from Pottstown in the finals . They got into a pissin' contest, as both were head hunters. Best caught Campbell and got a first period fall.

Back in the day when you didn't beat your chest when you won. You just won.

Best hit Shea with two great headlocks, and each time simplly hips in, head up, stopped all momentum and then threw Best backwards like he was play wrestling.
Shea beating Best wasn't all that surprising, but the manner in which he physically overwhelmed him certainly was.

Reactions: dunkej01 and royboy
Best hit Shea with two great headlocks, and each time simplly hips in, head up, stopped all momentum and then threw Best backwards like he was play wrestling.
Shea beating Best wasn't all that surprising, but the manner in which he physically overwhelmed him certainly was.
At the time yes, with hindsight maybe less so.

Definitely surprising that Shea busted 2 headlocks -- Best was well-known state-wide as a headhunter. (And Williamsport as a team was known for aggressively working double underhooks.) Or maybe Shea knew Best's reputation and prepared for it?

But in any case: the year before, Milton's Scott Solomon beat Best in a dual -- wild match, something like 13-11. Solomon was a solid wrestler but IIRC never qualified for states -- but he was scrappy as hell and never gassed. He beat Best by staying out of the headlock, getting in on legs while Best was standing upright, and out-working Best in scrambles.

So the blueprint was there.

Reactions: dunkej01
At the time yes, with hindsight maybe less so.

Definitely surprising that Shea busted 2 headlocks -- Best was well-known state-wide as a headhunter. (And Williamsport as a team was known for aggressively working double underhooks.) Or maybe Shea knew Best's reputation and prepared for it?

But in any case: the year before, Milton's Scott Solomon beat Best in a dual -- wild match, something like 13-11. Solomon was a solid wrestler but IIRC never qualified for states -- but he was scrappy as hell and never gassed. He beat Best by staying out of the headlock, getting in on legs while Best was standing upright, and out-working Best in scrambles.

So the blueprint was there.
Maybe the way I should have put it was, to district 6 people who saw Shea wrestle multiple times Shea winning wasn't surprising. As far as Shea preparing for those headlocks, it wasn't like Best was the new guy on the scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT