ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Changes likely coming to PA state tournaments:
1. State duals going from AA-AAA to 4 classes.
2. Individual states remaining AA-AAA.
3. AAA is not consolidating to 4 regionals as was previously rumored.
4. At individual states: all regionals qualify minimum 3.
5. All remaining qualifiers allocated based upon past years' performances at states by underclassmen.

All of this passed by the PIAA Wrestling Committee. Will be voted upon by full PIAA Board next month.

Changes likely coming to PA state tournaments:
1. State duals going from AA-AAA to 4 classes.
2. Individual states remaining AA-AAA.
3. AAA is not consolidating to 4 regionals as was previously rumored.
4. At individual states: all regionals qualify minimum 3.
5. All remaining qualifiers allocated based upon past years' performances at states by underclassmen.

All of this passed by the PIAA Wrestling Committee. Will be voted upon by full PIAA Board next month.

Any truth to the privates having their own state dual championship. That would get rid of a lot of issues. Then take the remaining teams and go A,AA,AAA

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Any truth to the privates having their own state dual championship. That would get rid of a lot of issues. Then take the remaining teams and go A,AA,AAA
That isn't how I read it. Considering we are only a couple weeks removed from the head of the PIAA (Lombardi) saying the whining from the public school basketball programs is nothing short of sour grapes I doubt he has suddenly seen the light.
If somebody from Aliquippa were to give the PIAA committee members one of those NIL bags of cash, Lombardi wouldn't even blush while changing his answer in less time than required to fill out his deposit slip.

That isn't how I read it. Considering we are only a couple weeks removed from the head of the PIAA (Lombardi) saying the whining from the public school basketball programs is nothing short of sour grapes I doubt he has suddenly seen the light.
If somebody from Aliquippa were to give the PIAA committee members one of those NIL bags of cash, Lombardi wouldn't even blush while changing his answer in less time than required to fill out his deposit slip.
How true is this. The PIAA is definitely not for the kids. That’s for sure.

Reactions: tpnlion
Profit and dollars. Our HS football championships are going to be at a high school because they don’t want to pay money for facilities.
Maybe PIAA would be willing to pay facilities fees if the titles game outdrew Pitt football.

4545137_web1_ptr-PIAA6Afinal05-121221.jpg

Maybe PIAA would be willing to pay facilities fees if the titles game outdrew Pitt football.

4545137_web1_ptr-PIAA6Afinal05-121221.jpg
I have a theory that while it seems like a logical thing to do to have football and soccer in Hershey, they should be play 2 games in Pittsburgh/West, 2 in Philly/East and 2 in Central PA and rotate. They make D7 go to D6 and D11 in basketball in 1/2/3 round playoff games. There are people traveling more this weekend for travel soccer and baseball than asking someone to do this. The Highmark Stadium for low class games would be awesome and would draw casual fans. Asking Erie Prep or Thomas Jefferson to go to Philly suburbs in a rotation is not a big ask when they are already going to Hershey. Now for wrestling, I change nothing.

Journeymen was a let down. They made that sound like it was going to be like worlds here in the USA.
It did have one match I always wondered what would happen: Shapiro over Arrington
M2’s Pierson Manville takes 3rd.

Reactions: hlstone
Get Ready for this:

was looking at Results on FLO, just this weekend look at how many events call themselves worlds or nationals.
Reno Worlds
Adidas Nationals
Viper Pit Nationals
Spartan Nationals
Journeymen World Classic

I just got to Warrior Run. The talk of the event is a Match District 4’s Gavin Bradley vs Little Gibson. I think this is his first or second match back. He might still be rusty.

Reactions: hlstone
This slipped my mind. Heard this week at Buffalo Valley practice that Faith academy got another set of brothers in from out of state and two other wrestlers toured the school. AA might not be the easy out anymore.
God only knows who NDGP has lined up from NJ coming in. Only good thing I heard was varret from Mcort left and went back to Dover PA. Might end up on Faiths roster soon

Reactions: Split shot
This slipped my mind. Heard this week at Buffalo Valley practice that Faith academy got another set of brothers in from out of state and two other wrestlers toured the school. AA might not be the easy out anymore.
God only knows who NDGP has lined up from NJ coming in. Only good thing I heard was varret from Mcort left and went back to Dover PA. Might end up on Faiths roster soon
Yep, but McCort must be squashed.

The Casto transfer to Pitt makes sense for him. He’s got strong ties to Western PA, and more specifically, Erie. Casto grew up in Erie and went to McDowell his Freshman and Sophomore year then transferred to Prep. He and Cstar were teammates at Prep for Casto’s JR year, then his family relocated to South Carolina for his SR year

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT