ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

I thought about Who's number one as well, but my guess is because its not labeled as an all-star event. Not sure how they get away with that one.
LOL. The criteria for choosing participants is totally subjective for WNO. According to PIAA : students selected based upon reputation of the athletes is a no no. At least the PWC considers accomplishment(placing high at states). So if PWC took All Star out of their media then it would be all good. Just kidding. I still think the NWCA only considers seniors at their discretion. Otherwise they would be inviting the private schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
My theory-- PA JRs and SRs have already made their college commitments so they don't need to showcase their talents. It's the same pattern every year with the NHSCA tournies. No PA upper classmen go, but the lower classmen kick serious butt.
Two 9th graders from District 1 won, Gauge Botero(Faith Christian) at 120 and Collin Gaj (Qtown) at 132), who beat a Bouzakis in an all PA final.
Botero laid waste to his weight class, including a pin of Nazareth's Parkins.
Faith Christian Academy had two other Freshmen place winners. FCA may be challenging for a state title soon.

NDGP and Saucon Valley won’t come close soon. Faith academy wins a AA title next year. Wait until you see what they have in MS and from the talk, what is transferring in this summer.

That’s a big time pickup for someone. He is very good. 2 years ago he lost to Tariq Wilson 5-1 and Cole Matthews 3-2 in OT. Assuming he can’t make 141 anymore and can’t beat Andonian at 149. Any thoughts on where he ends up?
Pittsburgh maybe. I know they have McMillen coming off redshirt at 149 though.

That’s a big time pickup for someone. He is very good. 2 years ago he lost to Tariq Wilson 5-1 and Cole Matthews 3-2 in OT. Assuming he can’t make 141 anymore and can’t beat Andonian at 149. Any thoughts on where he ends up?
Often transfers end up going to the other schools that recruited him.

Hillegas had visited Arizona State and Lehigh. Pitt and Cornell had visited him.

Cornell makes no sense -- he'd have to transfer again in 2 yrs. Sparky isn't much better -- he might not break the lineup at 141 or 149.

Lehigh and especially Pitt have opportunities at 149. 141 would be difficult at both.

Not listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at West Virginia -- it's close to home, and they need lineup help at both weights.

Hillegas had visited Arizona State and Lehigh. Pitt and Cornell had visited him.

Cornell makes no sense -- he'd have to transfer again in 2 yrs. Sparky isn't much better -- he might not break the lineup at 141 or 149.

Lehigh and especially Pitt have opportunities at 149. 141 would be difficult at both.

Not listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at West Virginia -- it's close to home, and they need lineup help at both weights.
And his high school coach is alumnus of WVU… good hypothesis

I was thinking Clarion or Edinboro, but they probably offer less as far as coaching and training partners than WVU at this point. Sad how far those teams have fallen.

Reactions: nitlion6
In Boro’s defense, the program got cut off at the knees when Tim Flynn left. They lost basically their whole staff and several key guys left the team via transfer as well. Couple that with Bruce Baumgartner stepping down from his AD role as well as the ineptitude from the administration at the university and you get what they’re currently putting out: an average team at best with some NQ level guys here and there.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Oddly enough I ran into Billy Sheridan(Lehigh Coach 41 years) son in a cemetery last week. He's 88 years old and wants me to put Lehigh logo on his Dad's stone. He was very sharp and disappointed that Santoro has not done much in the transfer portal. I asked if Lehigh academia was maybe some of the reason and he did think that was some of the problem.

Reactions: hlstone
Neither did they, which is why they’re currently on HR doing backflips to convince everyone they were always Team Transfers and Slush Fund. It is something to behold.
Guys like Eirman and Desanto don't count, LOL. Penn STate transfers scored 24 points at nationals if you count Berge's 2. Iowa transfers scored 17.5. So we got 6.5 more points from transfers. We beat them by 57.5. So non transfers we beat them by 51. Obviously we won because of transfers LOL.

Last edited:
Guys like Eirman and Desanto don't count, LOL. Penn STate transfers scored 24 points at nationals if you count Berge's 2. Iowa transfers scored 17.5. So we got 6.5 more points from transfers. We beat them by 57.5. So non transfers we beat them by 51. Obviously we won because of transfers LOL.
Talking reality with the HR collective is rather difficult.

Definitely not why he is leaving.

And we beat them last year without their transfers. They won by 16.5 - Desanto and Eierman saved their butts.

Penn State wins this year without transfers, but wins last year also.

Why is he leaving?
giphy.gif

Wyatt Henson I believe, right? Referring to the young Iowa kid who put his name in the portal right after hearing of the Real Woods transfer in. Sammy Henson’s kid…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT