ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Shocker, particularly with what he has coming up. I’d imagine it will attract some really good candidates. Early favorite Steve Mytych, who I know was very interested in the Easton job, so does his alma mater lure him away from Binghamton? That’s total speculation on my part, not knowing anything.

Shocker, particularly with what he has coming up. I’d imagine it will attract some really good candidates. Early favorite Steve Mytych, who I know was very interested in the Easton job, so does his alma mater lure him away from Binghamton? That’s total speculation on my part, not knowing anything.
I think Northampton maybe won the 7th /8th grade tournament in the area this year.???

Reactions: danoftw
I think Northampton maybe won the 7th /8th grade tournament in the area this year.???
By the time those guys are the dominant portion of Northampton's lineup BECA and Nazareth will have pulled in NJ talent as well as the best from local schools to surpass Northampton.

They did. With six finalist and four champs. Had two 7th graders win PJW and an 8th grader (Carson Wagner’s little brother) take 3rd. Plus I the varsity team only started one senior. Whoever gets the job is going to be walking into an attractive situation.

Seth will be missed. That program was kind of in the wilderness in the early part of the last decade, and he really injected life into it. And he built it the way I think most people want high school program run. He had really deep JVs and always managed to have a kid toil it out for 2-3 years in the program, then pop out and qualify for states as a one year starter. Junior high program is really well run, has big rosters, and makes really good use of 9th graders who need the development, particularly big guys who every once in a while turn into something. And he had his fair share of studs that were able to thrive in the room, win state titles and medals, and secure scholarship dollars. There aren’t tons of programs with all of those levels left.

And far be it from me to say more nice things about a Northampton guy, but he’s a good dude. He’ll be missed.

Dapper Dan Team USA released. No PSU commits on it, still a very good squad.

Levi is on the Dapper Dan team.

FN2ntEfXMAA9Vpx

They’ll be going to FCA soon enough
Connecticut, Maryland and Virginia kids go to Faith Academy

East Stroudsburg’s hammers go to Nazareth

GReen Pond will be begging more Jersey Kids this summer. Worked out. Two state champions, two years in a row.

Becca just funnels the entire Red Hawk club in.

Rover, you seem very up to date on District 11 happenings. Any chance Seth Lisa found out some of the young talent coming up have intentions of transfering out after the current recruiting period.😉
Maybe it was the last straw for him. ??????

It says Pa. All Star Team not PIAA. Is there a better wrestler at his weight in Pa.?
No I won't argue that, but historically have they have the had kids on the team that didn't wrestle their Sr season? For any of the teams, not just PA team. I haven't followed closely enough to see if there was.

No I won't argue that, but historically have they have the had kids on the team that didn't wrestle their Sr season? For any of the teams, not just PA team. I haven't followed closely enough to see if there was.
Feldman didn't wrestle PIAA either -- and he's not the first Prep kid on Team PA.

Beau Bartlett and Lachlan McNeil were on 2020 Team PA. Both attended Seminary.

McNeil is Canadian -- it even says so on the event promo.

Reactions: Psu9012
Rover, you seem very up to date on District 11 happenings. Any chance Seth Lisa found out some of the young talent coming up have intentions of transfering out after the current recruiting period.😉
I don't think so? Outside of Landon Muth, Seth has held on to kids pretty well in his tenure (Zeke Moisey was at the very end of the Terry Daubert era) and I don't think there is some sort of mass exodus coming. I don't know much about the kids coming up other than their names, but none have a club affiliation that makes me say "they're going". I certainly don't think the Wagner brothers will split up. Particularly with at least the homegrown Nazareth pipeline slowing dramatically, I think you'll see Northampton in that second D11 spot in the next couple years, whoever the coach is.

Seth has definitely been vocal about not liking the current landscape, which is both rich since Northampton basically invented the wrestling transfer, but also justified in that he's built a strong program in the traditional way without kids transferring in.

I do buy the fact that his girls are getting older and being an elite high school coach is a massive undertaking in a way that it wasn't 20-30 years ago when coaches were staying for decades. I think the days of Ray Nunamaker are over.

Feldman didn't wrestle PIAA either -- and he's not the first Prep kid on Team PA.

Not saying anything about the prep kids, I knew they were historically included on PA rosters. Obviously Levi deserves the spot, I was just shocked he was included with not wrestling HS this past season.

It goes both ways too - the one that sticks out is Adam Frey wrestling for Team USA despite being from Shaler and competing for PA in Fargo.

Their info says they partner with the NWCA. They may have decided on their own to only include seniors. Not sure how PIAA could stop someone from wrestling in an offseason event.
I dont have a problem with it, its a nice send-off for our seniors, but it is not even close to being our best team.

They will be making their decisions later this spring! Will it be Faith Academy, Bethlehem or NDGP?

Reactions: 07mantle
Haines accepted the PA spot and will wrestle Riggins on 3/25. Will be interesting to see how they stack up in folk but seeing how Riggins got turned by Gaitan, Levi might be a good folk matchup. At least the bow and arrow isn't legal in HS ;)

So is this a PIAA rule? Can you link that? Why would they have any jursdiction over this event. What about a private school junior? It has to be an event specific (NWCA) rule.
It's been that way since the inception of the Pittsburgh all-star meet. They (PIAA) do not have any jurisdiction over the event, they have jurisdiction over the eligibility of the athletes.. As far as a link, you will need to find it.

It's been that way since the inception of the Pittsburgh all-star meet. They (PIAA) do not have any jurisdiction over the event, they have jurisdiction over the eligibility of the athletes.. As far as a link, you will need to find it.
I know it has been all seniors but that doesn't mean that juniors would lose a season if they competed. They have scores of events in the off season that don't disqualify underclassmen from competing. And you did not address the private school question.

I know it has been all seniors but that doesn't mean that juniors would lose a season if they competed. They have scores of events in the off season that don't disqualify underclassmen from competing. And you did not address the private school question.

Piaa eligibility booklet - Google it, easier than me linking it. Article IX section 2 All-star contests, can also do a search of the document for "allstar". Not sure if this covers the PWC or not. I'll also let someone else interpret what that means exactly. But does mention a loss of 1 year of eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Piaa eligibility booklet - Google it, easier than me linking it. Article IX section 2 All-star contests, can also do a search of the document for "allstar". Not sure if this covers the PWC or not. I'll also let someone else interpret what that means exactly. But does mention a loss of 1 year of eligibility.
Interesting read. So clearly the PWC is an all star contest. It says so on its media. But it is no more of an all star contest than events like Who's number among others. But underclassmen participate in those contests on a regular basis.

Section 2: All-star Contests are those Contests in which students participate as individuals and not as members of their school Teams, and (1) the Contests are advertised or promoted as allstar Contests, and/or (2) the students selected to participate are chosen based upon reputation of the athletes or recommendation and/or referral by other persons. Such all-star Contests are not viewed with favor by PIAA as they promote certain participants to the detriment of others and they tend to arbitrarily and subjectively reward students for performance, both of which are contrary to the objectives of cultivating good sportsmanship and preventing unfair competitive advantages to participants. Therefore, students participating in Contests which are advertised or promoted as all-star Contests and/or in which students are selected based upon reputation of the athletes and/or recommendation or referral by other persons are ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics in the involved sport(s)for a period of up to one year from the date of such participation.
Contests are not considered to be all-star Contests, and participation will not result in a loss of eligibility, if (1) the Contest is not advertised or promoted as an all-star Contest; (2) the Contest is open to all students or to all students in the same grade level or students are selected to participate based upon try-outs or a uniform standard of qualification (such as certified minimum times for a swimming or track event); and (3) students participating in such Contests do not represent their school in the Contests and do not wear any school-affiliated uniform and/or apparel in the Contest.
The bold part is particularly woke.
Section 1 relates to athletes competing in collegiate competitions but they give them a pass if: Students do not lose eligibility to participate in an interscholastic Inter-School Practice, Scrimmage, and/or Contest in a sport if they, on an individual basis and as a private citizen, enter and participate in an athletic competition which is open to all persons, including collegiate athletes. So Kolat to Midlands okay. Dapper Dan bad. Strange logic as wouldn't the athlete also be participating in the PWC as a private citizen and not wearing the uniform or representing their school?
The PIAA continues to amaze me but not in a good way.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Interesting read. So clearly the PWC is an all star contest. It says so on its media. But it is no more of an all star contest than events like Who's number among others. But underclassmen participate in those contests on a regular basis.

Section 2: All-star Contests are those Contests in which students participate as individuals and not as members of their school Teams, and (1) the Contests are advertised or promoted as allstar Contests, and/or (2) the students selected to participate are chosen based upon reputation of the athletes or recommendation and/or referral by other persons. Such all-star Contests are not viewed with favor by PIAA as they promote certain participants to the detriment of others and they tend to arbitrarily and subjectively reward students for performance, both of which are contrary to the objectives of cultivating good sportsmanship and preventing unfair competitive advantages to participants. Therefore, students participating in Contests which are advertised or promoted as all-star Contests and/or in which students are selected based upon reputation of the athletes and/or recommendation or referral by other persons are ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics in the involved sport(s)for a period of up to one year from the date of such participation.
Contests are not considered to be all-star Contests, and participation will not result in a loss of eligibility, if (1) the Contest is not advertised or promoted as an all-star Contest; (2) the Contest is open to all students or to all students in the same grade level or students are selected to participate based upon try-outs or a uniform standard of qualification (such as certified minimum times for a swimming or track event); and (3) students participating in such Contests do not represent their school in the Contests and do not wear any school-affiliated uniform and/or apparel in the Contest.
The bold part is particularly woke.
Section 1 relates to athletes competing in collegiate competitions but they give them a pass if: Students do not lose eligibility to participate in an interscholastic Inter-School Practice, Scrimmage, and/or Contest in a sport if they, on an individual basis and as a private citizen, enter and participate in an athletic competition which is open to all persons, including collegiate athletes. So Kolat to Midlands okay. Dapper Dan bad. Strange logic as wouldn't the athlete also be participating in the PWC as a private citizen and not wearing the uniform or representing their school?
The PIAA continues to amaze me but not in a good way.
I thought about Who's number one as well, but my guess is because its not labeled as an all-star event. Not sure how they get away with that one.

ADVERTISEMENT