ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

No argument here about the level of youth/HS talent in PA. I'm sure M2 is going to have quite the list of D1 studs in the near future, with a heavy PSU influence. I wasn't trying to argue if one was going to be better than the other. Simply that if Sebolt is able to even semi-consistently have this level of talent in the room (and they continue to head to Iowa), then the Hawks are in good shape.
Seabolt is going to make them hate wrestling before they get to the Brands brothers.

Sebolt has some hammers. They train hard and are always in great shape. My main fear would be how the bodies of Sebolt's guys hold up through a college career since they train so hard so young.
2 tours of duty in sports he'll leads to shoulder and knee injuries

- Dr pat mineo

As long as kids the caliber of Ayala, Jesuroga, Kueter, and Riggins keep coming out of Sebolt every few years; I'm good with that!
Has anyone from sebolt ever done anything in college. Just asking never heard of sebolt being a big time wrestling machine. Are they really good like could they beat Nazareth in a dual meet

Has anyone from sebolt ever done anything in college. Just asking never heard of sebolt being a big time wrestling machine. Are they really good like could they beat Nazareth in a dual meet
They lost to M2 by a point in the Ultimate Club Duals last summer. The Club system in Iowa had been lagging behind the east but has been getting much better lately. I'd say Cullan Schriever and Drake Ayala are a couple of his first bigger names. He is pretty centrally located in the state. Some kids have come from Minnesota and Wisconsin to go there but a couple hours would get most in state kids there.

I mean, Shriever wanted his shirt pulled so he can get out of Iowa as soon as possible so it all kinda makes sense when you think about it.
I don't think that's why. And Sebolt kids are just getting started in college so to start saying things now is a little premature. Also what are you gonna say if RBY leaves like he says? I don't like blaming the program for a individual kids decision

Had 3 already 😂😂

giphy.gif

Since Dunk requested a thread ...

Isaiah Vance is the returning PA AAA 285 runner-up to Hunter Catka, and the only wrestler Catka did not bonus all year. Heavy favorite to win this year. Borderline top 10 nationally. Won Powerade with a victory over Malvern Prep's Cole Deery (also national top 10) in the finals. Great pickup for Army.

He never made it to West Point

I was being sarcastic. Lol
A lot of top PA kids are training as hard and as much as Sebolt. Both sides of PA have elite groups from elementary up doing pre-dawn workouts, 2 after school practices most weekdays, andmultiple sessions on weekends when not competing. Will be interesting to see how all of their bodies and minds hold up over the years. They work as hard as I did wreatling D1 from 8u up.

Was there last night, anytime you can beat SC its obviously a good night but Southern just isnt the team this year that they have been. Football success is coming back to haunt their wrestling program.

Kolb for Benton (State 7th) took out Barvitzkie (State 5th) who beat him 3 times last year. His younger brother is the 106 and that kid is going to be a hammer. He weights in at like 95 lbs eating a hoagie right befor weighins and just Shetland ponies kids around.

Fun night, Montgomery for Benton on Thursday, win there and they are in the D4 drivers seat.
FIFY.

A lot of top PA kids are training as hard and as much as Sebolt. Both sides of PA have elite groups from elementary up doing pre-dawn workouts, 2 after school practices most weekdays, andmultiple sessions on weekends when not competing. Will be interesting to see how all of their bodies and minds hold up over the years. They work as hard as I did wreatling D1 from 8u up.
I’ve said it before, I cringe every time I see the Bassetts and their crew doing their 5 am workouts everyday. Forget bodies holding up, Burnou is quite likely going to happen to some of them.

As an aside, if Shapiro sees how well prepared our guys are, how they generally rise to the big occasions, and pepper the highest steps on the podium - and goes somewhere else when we have a yawning, open lineup spot for him, I’m throwing up my hands on figuring out recruiting.

All you have to do is read accounts from neutrals with wrestling knowledge - they all understand how great Cael and his staff really are.

As an aside, if Shapiro sees how well prepared our guys are, how they generally rise to the big occasions, and pepper the highest steps on the podium - and goes somewhere else when we have a yawning, open lineup spot for him, I’m throwing up my hands on figuring out recruiting.

All you have to do is read accounts from neutrals with wrestling knowledge - they all understand how great Cael and his staff really are.
I gave up trying to figure out our recruiting strategies years ago. Probably best to just not get your hopes up on anyone in particular, and expect the unexpected. There will always be some head scratchers.

As for the elite recruits like Shapiro, I think you are either the big fish in a little pond type, or you are the Bo Nickal “at PSU we win individual AND team titles”. Chad Red and Nick Lee were examples of similar guys who wanted completely different situations. When the recruits who seem like a no brainer to commit to us because of location, roster opening, ect don’t, that tells me all I need to know.

I don't think that's why. And Sebolt kids are just getting started in college so to start saying things now is a little premature. Also what are you gonna say if RBY leaves like he says? I don't like blaming the program for a individual kids decision
TJ Sebolt is in year 12 or 13 with his cub. They are hardly just getting started in college. He had high school kids in 2010. He expanded his strategy and started taking in more and more already developed kids who were already very good before training with him. He is an excellent coach, but he isn't new to the game. The next 5-6 years will tell the story from a success stand point with his methods. Much of his coaching involves superior hand fighting and conditioning advantages which may be a little harder to keep long term. I expect mixed results like most high end club guys. Drake hitting the mat for Iowa is interesting to me in I'm curious to see if he ends up being just really good (3-4X AA) or a dominant champion. The kid is a stud but is there more room to grow or is he near his peak?

TJ Sebolt is in year 12 or 13 with his cub. They are hardly just getting started in college. He had high school kids in 2010. He expanded his strategy and started taking in more and more already developed kids who were already very good before training with him. He is an excellent coach, but he isn't new to the game. The next 5-6 years will tell the story from a success stand point with his methods. Much of his coaching involves superior hand fighting and conditioning advantages which may be a little harder to keep long term. I expect mixed results like most high end club guys. Drake hitting the mat for Iowa is interesting to me in I'm curious to see if he ends up being just really good (3-4X AA) or a dominant champion. The kid is a stud but is there more room to grow or is he near his peak?

Well written. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

As for the elite recruits like Shapiro, I think you are either the big fish in a little pond type, or you are the Bo Nickal “at PSU we win individual AND team titles”. Chad Red and Nick Lee were examples of similar guys who wanted completely different situations. When the recruits who seem like a no brainer to commit to us because of location, roster opening, ect don’t, that tells me all I need to know.
That isn't exactly correct. Chad Red would have traded a nut to come wrestle at Penn State. When Cael and staff decided on Nick, Chad was encouraged to look elsewhere.

I understand that there are other considerations in choosing a college; proximity to home, scholarship amount, specific academic program, etc.
However, if all of these things are approximately equal and your goal is to be the best wrestler you can be and to win individual and team titles, it cannot be argued logically that there is a better choice than Penn State.

Did you hear that Shapiro, Mullen, McGowan?

I thought the rumor was Red was offered a 100% scholarship at Nebraska and that was a big factor.

I thought the rumor was Red was offered a 100% scholarship at Nebraska and that was a big factor.
If Cael had told told Chad Red that Penn State had room for him, Chad would have been a PSUer
Anthony Ashnault and Pat Glory would have been Penn Staters also if they had been told they were wanted.

I understand that there are other considerations in choosing a college; proximity to home, scholarship amount, specific academic program, etc.
However, if all of these things are approximately equal and your goal is to be the best wrestler you can be and to win individual and team titles, it cannot be argued logically that there is a better choice than Penn State.

Did you hear that Shapiro, Mullen, McGowan?
What do you make of Feldman, Mendez, and Bouzakis all choosing tOSU?

What do you make of Feldman, Mendez, and Bouzakis all choosing tOSU?
It’s been rehashed here before, but recruiting is a lot about timing. PSU and OkSt are loaded with young talent. Ohio St has about 8 holes in its future lineup (Sasso and Kharchala). This was their recruiting cycle to hit hard and they did. Feldman is clearly the gem and a guy I wish we had space for, but I’m ok with 3 more years with Kerk. Iowa, Cornell, and Michigan are the top programs who should have been more successful in the 2022 class.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Red and Ashnault I believe.

Glory had 6 finalists and PSU was not one of them.
Glory wanted to go Ivy, period. His top three schools, in ascending preference, were Cornell, Penn, and Princeton. This really is no surprise for any kid who attends a $40k+/year boarding school like Delbarton.

And while I don't know, I also doubt that the PSU staff would tell an elite 125 pounder to look elsewhere. Note that Glory was two years ahead of Robert Howard.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I could see Feldman potentially changing his mind within the next year. He is an animal but there is no better room for a heavy, and I have this sense Kerk won't go all 4 years.
Yeah Kerk has hinted at this previously, though I don't recall the specifics. But he graduated from high school in 2019, and may have other plans that aren't compatible with staying in college until 2025. I just hope he sticks at PSU for through the 2023-24 season, but even that may be wishful thinking.

Yeah Kerk has hinted at this previously, though I don't recall the specifics. But he graduated from high school in 2019, and may have other plans that aren't compatible with staying in college until 2025. I just hope he sticks at PSU for through the 2023-24 season, but even that may be wishful thinking.

Kerk said on IG 4 months ago that his MMA career would start within a year, but that he wasn't leaving college (he didn't give anything more specific on that).

ADVERTISEMENT