ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Rather humorous that what's OK for Nazareth is not so OK for a different school district.
Well, maybe. Crompton was allowed to play football but not wrestle. Also NDGP isn't a school district.

Article didn't provide any details but in cases like Appello's, most often the family moves to a new school district. (Which is a crazy thing to do financially if for athletics, especially in an urban/suburban area.) The Cromptons couldn't buy a house in NDGP because, well, they already lived there.

Well, maybe. Crompton was allowed to play football but not wrestle. Also NDGP isn't a school district.

Article didn't provide any details but in cases like Appello's, most often the family moves to a new school district. (Which is a crazy thing to do financially if for athletics, especially in an urban/suburban area.) The Cromptons couldn't buy a house in NDGP because, well, they already lived there.
You know what my point is.

Bottom line D11 is a free for all and Hartman & Lombardi are well aware of it. It’s been that way for decades.
I totally agree with this. Ask any D10 person and they will shrug their shoulders when you bring up Erie Cathedral Prep. It seems like D11 has the same deal with BC, but everyone complains and it’s just the “way it is”. Now you have D6 where there is no mega sports teams and it just blows everything up.

I totally agree with this. Ask any D10 person and they will shrug their shoulders when you bring up Erie Cathedral Prep.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
My favorite thing about the Prep crowd is how they term you a “hater” if you say they recruit. It’s been one of the worst kept secrets for years. Shoot, I have a good buddy from Warren who told me about how he was approached to wrestle for Prep while he was in high school. Being that he lives in Sheffield (an hour plus drive one way), he said thanks, but no thanks. Just own up to it, don’t patronize people and say it’s for the academics or the religion. Plus, as other posters have pointed out, there’s an endless list of parochial and private schools who’ve acquired talented athletes via questionable means. More than enough to create a separate division in the PIAA.

Ultimately, let the kids go where they wanna go, but keep the public and private schools separate. It’s blatantly unfair to schools who are confined to district boundaries to compete against schools with no defined boundaries. Thus the reason schools like Blair, Sem, and Malvern Prep have to compete in national preps as opposed to PIAA or NJSIAA.

Okay, okay, I’m stepping off my soap box now…

I just assumed that part of a private schools coaches responsibilities would be to bring kids in,right? Isnt that just common knowledge?

Dude, that avatar pic kills me.

Reactions: BigFella235
I totally agree with this. Ask any D10 person and they will shrug their shoulders when you bring up Erie Cathedral Prep. It seems like D11 has the same deal with BC, but everyone complains and it’s just the “way it is”. Now you have D6 where there is no mega sports teams and it just blows everything up.
well I dont like how erie prep does it never have never will,public schools cant compete with catholic school that recruit from all over the Erie county and further

LOL, Erie Prep

1. D10 schools are so offended and so diminished by it, that theyve filed no official complaints.

2. Where did Devin Brown's mom live when he wrestled for Saegertown?

3. How does Reynolds keep winning state titles with school district total population smaller than my office?

4. When was Erie Prep's last state title?

Same thing as with Beca. The other schools whine and do nothing, because they don't want PIAA snooping inside their houses.

5. All of these schools state-wide are so pissed, that none of them are trying to get a separate private school division or kick the private schools out of PIAA altogether.

Last edited:
LOL, Erie Prep

1. D10 schools are so offended and so diminished by it, that theyve filed no official complaints.

3. When was Erie Prep's last state title?

Same thing as with Beca. The other schools whine and do nothing, because they don't want PIAA snooping inside their houses.

4. All of these schools state-wide are so pissed, that none of them are trying to get a separate private school division or kick the private schools out of PIAA altogether.
2) Are you insinuating she wasnt in Larry’s basement with Devin?

Reactions: El-Jefe
LOL, Erie Prep

3. How does Reynolds keep winning state titles with school district total population smaller than my office?

4. When was Erie Prep's last state title?

5. All of these schools state-wide are so pissed, that none of them are trying to get a separate private school division or kick the private schools out of PIAA altogether.
LOL BACK IN THE DAY PUBLIC AND CATHOLIC WERE SEPERATE PREP WASNT IN THE PIAA TOURNAMENT

Not sure you “file complaints”. If a kid leaves your school your principal either signs it or not. Then it goes to a hearing if not signed then it’s up to the committee to look at the facts. Now it’s also supposed to be up to the committee to find a hardship if transferring after 10th grade every time no matter signed off or not. Still very inconsistent.

Not sure you “file complaints”. If a kid leaves your school your principal either signs it or not. Then it goes to a hearing if not signed then it’s up to the committee to look at the facts. Now it’s also supposed to be up to the committee to find a hardship if transferring after 10th grade every time no matter signed off or not. Still very inconsistent.
My language was imprecise but its the same point: if the principal signs the transfer, then the school officially agrees with the transfer and therefore has no complaint.

If the coach doesn't like it later, he should've not liked it to the principal before the official approval. Otherwise he's a whiner.

The fans ... whining is why we exist.

Reactions: jpsolo
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!
Just to get you 'current'..... they were taking down the Lee monument on Monument Ave in Richmond last week and found (suspected it was there) a time capsule - yet to be opened. I'm sure they will have the local Virginia write up's with only one HS divisions (vs the 6 now).. Regardless, civil war days not so long ago?

That's funny asks Smalls103 about Easton during his tenure.
[/QUOTE

Article from 2005, that year their were 14 transfers in Lehigh Valley.
Easton and Beca had Crivallero flip schools after football. I think he did it it 2 years in a row.

Somehow I didn't post correctly in above window.

Article is from 2005,

I believe Easton and Beca had Crivallero wrestle for one school and play football for the other school in the same season.

Yes District 11 has been doing this for years. Then Hartman protects them. Still wondering when Nazareth become open enrollment like Bethlehem Catholic? District 1 has a storm brewing with faith Catholic. They have kids from multiple states from an article I read.

I haven’t heard or seen his name in a while. Glad we have a chance but I see Cornell trying to steal that pipeline.

It’d be interesting to see where he’d slot in as a freshman. Between 125-149 you’ve got Davis, Steen, Howard, Beau, and SVN over the next few years. Will he grow and fill out to be a middleweight like his brother? Who knows. But, it’d sure be nice to trot out a lineup with some combination of those 5 at 125-149 and slide him in at 157 or 165

It’d be interesting to see where he’d slot in as a freshman. Between 125-149 you’ve got Davis, Steen, Howard, Beau, and SVN over the next few years. Will he grow and fill out to be a middleweight like his brother? Who knows. But, it’d sure be nice to trot out a lineup with some combination of those 5 at 125-149 and slide him in at 157 or 165

For what it's worth, the spreadsheet has him penciled in at 157.

Older brother going to Cornell is a factor but not the only one, otherwise Mason would be committed there already. How much he grows and where he fits in the lineup will matter a lot also (duh)

My guess would be a PSU/Ohio State battle if anything. Tom Ryan has been doing work on the trail with the McCort/Compound/YGWC kids (I know Gibson is M2 also)

Reactions: Jplions4
ADVERTISEMENT