ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

I didn’t mean it as OSU isn’t even trying until 2026, but timing is important in team building. OSU had some incredible teams that had the unfortunate timing of going against Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Cenzo, and Hall.

Apparently, also dynasties*

*recruiting
Some of them are acting like Ryan hasn’t been recruiting lights out for years - and now we (I.e. Iowa and PSU - the top dogs) are in for it. The Covelli Center is getting shout outs even though it’s been around for a few years now.

Yes, this year’s recruiting is their best ever on paper, but recruiting has never been their problem.

That’s what I get for reading 11 Warriors I guess.

Sounds like all the teas leaves are pointing away from us which sucks. TJ is one kid I really want. He is just scratching the surface of what he can be. His athleticism plus the PSU room and coaches and the sky is the limit. I hope everyone is wrong and he commits to the good guys!

Sounds like all the teas leaves are pointing away from us which sucks. TJ is one kid I really want. He is just scratching the surface of what he can be. His athleticism plus the PSU room and coaches and the sky is the limit. I hope everyone is wrong and he commits to the good guys!
At least it won't be to another super power. UNC, Maryland, VT are his other options.

Joe is on the podium this year! Write it down, chisel that in stone, whatever you want. Come see me at the NCAA’s so I can say I told you so!
I hope you are right.
Nick with his elite motor and bulldogedness was a obvious elite wrestler to be the first time he wore the white stripped blue singlet. I haven't seen things in Joe that makes me believe strongly that he is going to be elite. However, I am hoping you are spot on and I am full of crap.

Some of them are acting like Ryan hasn’t been recruiting lights out for years - and now we (I.e. Iowa and PSU - the top dogs) are in for it. The Covelli Center is getting shout outs even though it’s been around for a few years now.

Yes, this year’s recruiting is their best ever on paper, but recruiting has never been their problem.

That’s what I get for reading 11 Warriors I guess.
Over the past competitive decade Ohio State has as many team championships as Iowa, more runner-up trophies and more individual champions. The only snap shot that let's Iowa claim a top 2 is if we are talking the past one, maybe 2 years.

Reactions: fronk71
Over the past competitive decade Ohio State has as many team championships as Iowa, more runner-up trophies and more individual champions. The only snap shot that let's Iowa claim a top 2 is if we are talking the past one, maybe 2 years.
All that said - and I think Iowa corrected course late in the decade - the main point is that Ryan has been recruiting lights out during the Cael era, but his hit rate is much lower.

Pa homers crying about Kilkeary. Reminds me of the Maruca bellyaching.

Great show today. No ..I was curious if you were West2East on this site. I thought I saw a post of yours saying that you posted on here under another name at one time but may be mistaken.

It was jrod's post.

@corbyV has been on the board(s) for quite a while now, just under a pseudonym. I honestly thought that most of the regulars knew what handle he posts with here...

Reactions: johnstownsteel
All that said - and I think Iowa corrected course late in the decade - the main point is that Ryan has been recruiting lights out during the Cael era, but his hit rate is much lower.

Kilkeary is better than Maruca was.

That said, Howard is better still. Once we've established that, the only real issue with Kilkeary going tan is the amount of talent they've accumulated, which makes them a real threat in say 3-4 years ... right up until Cael re-loads again.

Tom's (Ryan or Brands) hit rate will always be lower than Cael's. Whatever it is that Cael, Cody, Casey, Jake know about training cycles, rest, game planning and development compared to the others is like comparing the grandmaster's chess skills to those chess players who are just pretty good.

That said, Iowa may have figured something out, but other than getting Spencer I do not think Iowa has figured anything out. As soon as Spencer is done winning Iowa's annual individual title the Hawks will return to their rightful position. Somewhere 2 or 3 steps behind Penn State and Cael.

Tom's (Ryan or Brands) hit rate will always be lower than Cael's. Whatever it is that Cael, Cody, Casey, Jake know about training cycles, rest, game planning and development compared to the others is like comparing the grandmaster's chess skills to those chess players who are just pretty good.

That said, Iowa may have figured something out, but other than getting Spencer I do not think Iowa has figured anything out. As soon as Spencer is done winning Iowa's annual individual title the Hawks will return to their rightful position. Somewhere 2 or 3 steps behind Penn State and Cael.
Iowa figured out how to secure a fully loaded lineup, send 10 to the tournament, and win the championship. That said, hopefully we will be able to knock off the favorite this year.

So the other 9 wrestlers are what then? PSU had 4 National Champs last year and still lost the title to Iowa. How did that happen? I feel Iowa had some good pick ups along the way other than just Spencer.

The other nine are what I said they were, good enough to keep Iowa a step, two or three behind PSU. Right where they usually are.
They finished 1st and are currently the Champs. That's considered a step ahead of your team in my book.

Currently champs? I was unaware they already hoisted the championship trophy in November? 🏆🙄

Did Cael go after Feldman? I’m kinda surprised he didn’t end up at psu. Athletic HW’s aren’t easy to come by. I guess the next in line would be Jim Mullen might be the next guy? It’ll be interesting if he picks football, wrestling or both.

Penn just got a big time HW in Carroll. Surprised penn state wasn’t in on him either.

Ohio State is definitely following the 2015 model. Load up for the year following PSU’s graduation of a grouping of 4 year guys. Hit that sweet spot where we will probably punt/redshirt the next group of hammers. 2026, the year of the Buckeye.
I agree with the timing but a coach should never “punt” on a season. It’s horrible for the sport.

English. Understanding word meaning.
You ask me without Spencer what are the other nine. Runners up.
With Spencer they are the champs.
It isn't that hard.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Media Fan
Iowa went all in on Sebolt. It was a bold move but unfortunately I don’t see it paying off for them. They probably got sick of hearing Iowa is nothing more than the pa pipeline

Iowa is the fav agian this yr, but it will once again depend on seedings, brackets, matchups. There will be kore quality wrestlers at each weight this yr and that may swing points as well as matchups.

Iowa went all in on Sebolt. It was a bold move but unfortunately I don’t see it paying off for them. They probably got sick of hearing Iowa is nothing more than the pa pipeline
i've seen this a couple times (and i know it's a troll, but it's an interesting topic) and it's not really true. most of the sebolt guys who have committed are room guys. then there are a some elite guys that are legit recruits no matter where they're from. 3 top 10 overall recruits in their class with Ayala, Jesuroga, and Kueter. Then really solid top 30ish guys like Riggins and Schreiver. The reason why Iowa went after so many PA kids is because the instate talent completely tanked for several years. This is the first time in a bit that there have been multiple elite in state recruits, so it's no surprise Iowa scooped them up.

instate ebbs and flows should be familiar. PA has been down for a couple years. Not a coincidence that PSU hasn't recruited it heavily during this period.

with that being said, they're still recruiting well nationally. Henson, Kennedy, Ybarra, Franklin. They're in contention for Gabe Arnold. It's certainly not "all in" on Sebolt. They grabbed the top 5 kids in state quickly and are now continuing to recruit nationally.

I agree with the timing but a coach should never “punt” on a season. It’s horrible for the sport.

Hmmm, horrible for the sport or great for the kids, which is more important?

Let's ask Nico, Zain, Nolf and Bo...

PS I think PSUs 4 year run was pretty good for the sport too. Punt years don't happen without redshirts, are red shirts horrible for the sport? Even for someone like Nico who was a vet, that redshirt year resulted in a NC, how about Zain and the huge difference that punt year made to his game? I think Cael would prefer to shirt every kid if the timing works out right. Had it not been for the CV free year he was planning to punt again last year.

The only thing a punt year is horrible for is is rabid fans (me included) who want to watch a winner every single year without fail. That's asking a bit much.

Last edited:
Did Cael go after Feldman? I’m kinda surprised he didn’t end up at psu. Athletic HW’s aren’t easy to come by. I guess the next in line would be Jim Mullen might be the next guy? It’ll be interesting if he picks football, wrestling or both.

Penn just got a big time HW in Carroll. Surprised penn state wasn’t in on him either.
Feldman's finalists were F&M, Purdue, Ohio State, MIchigan, Navy, and VT.

Hard to say about Carroll -- he started calling programs very recently, and Willie was surprised at how quickly he flipped. But in the same HS class, Cael has been in on Mullen for some time.

Also, Kerk has 4 yrs left and Snacks 3. Getting a 2022 HWT was always highly unlikely. 2023 makes more sense.

Reactions: crockster

Carroll has changed high schools once and college commitments once already and won't wrestle his first HS match until January as a Junior. I know nothing about his reason for committing to Penn, but it doesn't seem a reach to say he could change his mind again.

ADVERTISEMENT