ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Right now, there are some folks thinking 157 needs addressed but personally I think Joe Lee ends those thoughts this year.
Joe is a MAJOR wildcard. He strikes me as a kid that might just go off on a given weekend.

He's a kid that IMO needs 30 matches and a couple Ls throughout a season to really be ready for the postseason. It's pretty obvious based on how Cael reacted to him in wrestlebacks that he doesn't always get the message the first time. I'm by no means saying he's uncoachable, he was raised in a military family and is a fantastic kid and relentless worker by all counts. Just he gets in the zone sometimes and forgets everything taught to him before.

Keep in mind he blew his knee out against Ohio State then suddenly started going upperbody only really so it was definitely a factor. Last year must have been a very humbling experience for him, he gave Maryland their first points at Big Tens in years, almost didn't qualify for nationals and got pinned a few times. How does he respond to that is the question now.

Joe is a MAJOR wildcard. He strikes me as a kid that might just go off on a given weekend.

He's a kid that IMO needs 30 matches and a couple Ls throughout a season to really be ready for the postseason. It's pretty obvious based on how Cael reacted to him in wrestlebacks that he doesn't always get the message the first time. I'm by no means saying he's uncoachable, he was raised in a military family and is a fantastic kid and relentless worker by all counts. Just he gets in the zone sometimes and forgets everything taught to him before.

Keep in mind he blew his knee out against Ohio State then suddenly started going upperbody only really so it was definitely a factor. Last year must have been a very humbling experience for him, he gave Maryland their first points at Big Tens in years, almost didn't qualify for nationals and got pinned a few times. How does he respond to that is the question now.
and don't forget he was a freshman (regardless of how much he was in the room)

I like that Ohio State recruiting has returned to national recruiting championship level. I love wrestling season as is, but by golly it sure is even more fun when the Lions are winning championships and the Hawks are sucking win trying to catch the team right behind PSU.

I like that Ohio State recruiting has returned to national recruiting championship level. I love wrestling season as is, but by golly it sure is even more fun when the Lions are winning championships and the Hawks are sucking win trying to catch the team right behind PSU.
Iowa is #1 so you will have to settle for trying to catching that crew for now. I'm good with that. 24 and counting!:)

Joe gave me a fair share of indigestion last year, and it seemed it wasnt just me, as even Cael seemed uncharacteristically annoyed at both Beard and Joe at times. I agree with Joe's seemly forgetting the program mid-match and a general lack of consistency match to match.

Then again I catch myself being frustrated at many Freshman only to see that Cael's system is not necessarily designed to provide instant gratification.

I was frustrated at Nick Lee a lot in his freshman season. I now realize I too often compared and contrasted him to Zain which is just plain silly but seeing them back to back... Nick Flashed the potential but looked sloppy and a bit reckless pretty often, especially with the technical perfection contrast Zain provided immediately thereafter. That McKenna match still haunts, I thought he had him.

Now look at Nick and what he has accomplished in both folk and free. Count me in the camp of shocked people when he handled Zain.

Do I think Joe is near Freshman Nick's level? No, but I am open to him tightening up his positioning and technique and buying into his training, one year older and one weight down.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, with the glass half full entering this season.

Iowa is #1 so you will have to settle for trying to catching that crew for now. I'm good with that. 24 and counting!:)
And I’m good with PSU trying to catch them this year. Your meltdowns are epic over there when you are expecting a certain positive outcome yet get something entirely different. The Sunday morning right after nationals on HR is always a “must be there” type of event. From all the infighting between Hawk fans to the calling out of your OWN wrestlers and let’s not forget the “virtual beheading” of your OWN coach…. It’s a beautiful sight to behold.

And I’m good with PSU trying to catch them this year. Your meltdowns are epic over there when you are expecting a certain positive outcome yet get something entirely different. The Sunday morning right after nationals on HR is always a “must be there” type of event. From all the infighting between Hawk fans to the calling out of your OWN wrestlers and let’s not forget the “virtual beheading” of your OWN coach…. It’s a beautiful sight to behold.
Whatever floats your boat

People want to say Joe has been in the room forever but let's not act like just being in the room is the same as being on the team. It's an advantage, don't get me wrong but consider this.

Joe skipped his senior year of HS and joined NLWC, got 12 matches in.
Greyshirted after graduation, got 3 folk matches in.
Redshirted his first year and got 16 matches in. This was the best Joe looked.

All in all, in 3 years, he got 31 folk matches in, 10 a season and last year was his first year in a PSU singlet and it was a total s*** storm of a year that started in late January, he blew his knee out by February and we want to just throw in the towel on him. Not every kid is the same, like I said, I think Joe is a kid that needs a normal season.

25-30 matches and staying healthy = R12/AA. Particularly at 157. That and 149 are the two weakest weights, IMO.

His injury was readily apparent and his wrestling reflected it. He looked and wrestled with…desperation? Maybe that’s too strong of a word, but he put himself in some bad positions and paid, bad, several times.

Even if Joe misses the podium, if he can match up with like a 20 seed in wrestlebacks and go for one of his signature launches and pin him, that's 2.5 points we definitely could use in a team race next year.

That being said, I obviously have way higher hopes for Joe than just that.

Joe gave me a fair share of indigestion last year, and it seemed it wasnt just me, as even Cael seemed uncharacteristically annoyed at both Beard and Joe at times. I agree with Joe's seemly forgetting the program mid-match and a general lack of consistency match to match.

Then again I catch myself being frustrated at many Freshman only to see that Cael's system is not necessarily designed to provide instant gratification.

I was frustrated at Nick Lee a lot in his freshman season. I now realize I too often compared and contrasted him to Zain which is just plain silly but seeing them back to back... Nick Flashed the potential but looked sloppy and a bit reckless pretty often, especially with the technical perfection contrast Zain provided immediately thereafter. That McKenna match still haunts, I thought he had him.

Now look at Nick and what he has accomplished in both folk and free. Count me in the camp of shocked people when he handled Zain.

Do I think Joe is near Freshman Nick's level? No, but I am open to him tightening up his positioning and technique and buying into his training, one year older and one weight down.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, with the glass half full entering this season.
Sometimes......one's greatest improvement is between the ears. We have seen it before. I expect to see it this year from one or two guys.

It’s hard to complain when Ohio State now landed #1, #2 and #3 in the ‘22 class, with Rocco Welsh and soon to be Kilkeary (reportedly soon) also in the fold, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask if Tom Ryan signed the wrong 197 in Seth Shumate (still a top 20 guy at #19) over Aurora Ohio’s Dylan Fishback, ranked now #5 in 2022?

And I’m not just wondering because of how crazy that would be for a team to sign 4 of the 5 top guys in a class… It’s a legitimate question IMO for 2 reasons.

First, Fishback just beat Shumate heads up, albeit in freestyle. Second, there has been some chatter of Shumate may having some off the mat concerns.

I want to BE VERY CLEAR….. that is pure speculation and I personally have zero knowledge of that, but I have read it from more than one source and place online.

Last edited:
Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
It’s hard to complain when Ohio State now landed #1, #2 and #3 in the ‘22 class, with Rocco Welsh and soon to be Kilkeary (reportedly soon) also in the fold, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask if Tom Ryan signed the wrong 197 in Seth Shumate (still a top 20 guy at #19) over Aurora Ohio’s Dylan Fishback, ranked now #5 in 2022?

And I’m not just wondering because of how crazy that would be for a team to sign 4 of the 5 top guys in a class…

It’s a legitimate question IMO for 2 reasons.

First, Fishback just beat Shumate heads up, albeit in freestyle.

Second, there have been some chatter of Shumate may having some off the mat concerns. I want to BE VERY CLEAR, that is pure speculation,

I have zero knowledge of that, but have read it from more than one source/place online.
Seth Shumate committed to Ohio State pretty early (like early sophomore year?) and his stock dropped a bit (I think he was #1 or 2 PFP in 2022 at one point) ... Fishback committed a bit later and his stock has increased quite a bit. Probably tough to flip anyone this late in the process. Either way, I think you'll be fine lol.

Plans change, but they currently see Facundo as a career 165
Really? That would surprise me. I mean he has no where to go lol so I guess it’s not that surprising. He just has such a nice frame to him. Unless Brooks and Carter both move up. I could also see Brooks move up then Facundo jump Carter to go 184. It’ll be interesting to see how it works out.

And I’m not just wondering because of how crazy that would be for a team to sign 4 of the 5 top guys in a class…

It’s a legitimate question IMO for 2 reasons.

First, Fishback just beat Shumate heads up, albeit in freestyle.

Second, there have been some chatter of Shumate may having some off the mat concerns. I want to BE VERY CLEAR, that is pure speculation,

I have zero knowledge of that, but have read it from more than one source/place online.
Yeah they took Shumates verbal to early. Unless he’s not getting much money which is what tOSU fans say. I can’t hardly believe that. They definitely ended up with the wrong 197. Shumate looks like he could possibly make 184 tho which may be their saving grace. If he can.

People want to say Joe has been in the room forever but let's not act like just being in the room is the same as being on the team. It's an advantage, don't get me wrong but consider this.

Joe skipped his senior year of HS and joined NLWC, got 12 matches in.
Greyshirted after graduation, got 3 folk matches in.
Redshirted his first year and got 16 matches in. This was the best Joe looked.

All in all, in 3 years, he got 31 folk matches in, 10 a season and last year was his first year in a PSU singlet and it was a total s*** storm of a year that started in late January, he blew his knee out by February and we want to just throw in the towel on him. Not every kid is the same, like I said, I think Joe is a kid that needs a normal season.
Joe is primed for a great year. Dropping a weight is best. He was over matched many times last year. He’s worked hard this off season and will surprise many who have given up. As you say he really hasn’t wrestled much in three years. I didn’t know he blew a knee out, though. I missed that one. Don’t sleep on Matt either. The Lee’s of Indiana are great for the Nits!

It’s hard to complain when Ohio State now landed #1, #2 and #3 in the ‘22 class, with Rocco Welsh and soon to be Kilkeary (reportedly soon) also in the fold, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask if

A bumper crop for sure, possibly the best haul I have seen, in a long while if not ever.

Begs the question. Zero mention of NIL anywhere? I wonder what role that might have played.

To think, the very first year of NIL, and one school gets 1-2-3... I would not be shocked at all of tOSU had a mega doner who can dangle some serious NIL.

This is not a slush fund accusation and as of now remains but a coincidence. Let's see what happens next year and 2024 in particular when we actual need a good class.

Getting 1-2-3 might become more common for select schools on a rotating basis.

Reactions: backdrft76
Not sure this was originally an either-or. Ryan saw Shumate already at 195 and already nationally prominent, and got him. Fishback was at 170 when he committed to NC State.

Reactions: fronk71
I think they lucked out with the rumors of a bouzakis mendez package deal actually having some fire to it. They are both top wrestlers and wanted to be at the same place. It happens. PSU has gotten the same kind of recruits. Still have to coach them up.

A bumper crop for sure, possibly the best haul I have seen, in a long while if not ever.

Begs the question. Zero mention of NIL anywhere? I wonder what role that might have played.

To think, the very first year of NIL, and one school gets 1-2-3... I would not be shocked at all of tOSU had a mega doner who can dangle some serious NIL.

This is not a slush fund accusation and as of now remains but a coincidence. Let's see what happens next year and 2024 in particular when we actual need a good class.

Bookmark this part.

Good point about NIL as the Buckeye lineup is pretty open for those 1-2-3 guys to wrestle immediately in 2022

Buckeyes have recruited 8 guys ranked top 25 from 2017-21. Sasso is a contender. Kerk transferred out. Singletary, D'Emilio, Decatur, and Hoffman have not panned out. Still waiting for Karch and Gallagher to perform. No Champs.

1Carson Kharchla (Knee Injury in 2020-21)
3Daniel Kerkvliet (transferred to PSU)
5Chase Singletary
5Paddy Gallagher
6Gavin Hoffman
10Sammy Sasso (2021 runner-up)
13Jordan Decatur
20Dylan D'Emilio

PSU has recruited 16 guys and 4 champs during the same period. Three transfer outs (Teasdale, Teske, and Boone). Berge injured out and Verk transferred out but they got two years out of them. The others have been performing.

Okie State has 10 recruits, Az State has 9 and Iowa has 8...

Last edited:
That would be fantastic. If we don't get TJ Stewart, we're pretty set at upper weights since Levi Haines is almost certainly going to be a 174/184 pounder according to himself. That being said, I would really like one of Stewart/Arnold but they might even be a package deal (and UNC seems to be the spot there)

We want Arnold over Stewart. I'll go on record with that one.

to bad top recruiting class does not lead to team titles!!

Joe is on the podium this year! Write it down, chisel that in stone, whatever you want. Come see me at the NCAA’s so I can say I told you so!

giphy.gif
Joe is on the podium this year! Write it down, chisel that in stone, whatever you want. Come see me at the NCAA’s so I can say I told you so!
😂

Lack of sleep is making him grumpy. Wheres smalls he will fire him up quicker

then desanto can tap out against rby
I sleep well. I don't hate Willie like he says either. Hate is a strong word. I just don't like him, and that's ok.

He reminds me of Nate on Ted Lasso. If you know, you know 😆

Kilkeary to Ohio State...not a surprise. Third Latrobe wrestler in recent history to go to Ohio State after Pletcher and Ethan Smith.

Ohio State is definitely following the 2015 model. Load up for the year following PSU’s graduation of a grouping of 4 year guys. Hit that sweet spot where we will probably punt/redshirt the next group of hammers. 2026, the year of the Buckeye.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Ohio State is definitely following the 2015 model. Load up for the year following PSU’s graduation of a grouping of 4 year guys. Hit that sweet spot where we will probably punt/redshirt the next group of hammers. 2026, the year of the Buckeye.
It's a fun theory to think about, and maybe there's some strategy there--but I kind of feel like each coach pursues the best guys possible at the weights of need every year.

ADVERTISEMENT