ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Ohio

Ohio State has recruited some really good kids this year and the past few years. Should be a formidable opponent in the coming years. Should make for an interesting rivalry again.
they've always recruited well. several of their big recruits during this last cycle didn't pan out like they thought which is why they've been down. i think this is a prove it few years for ryan to show he can develop talent post-rosseli. still a very good coach, but not sure they have team title potential anymore.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Ohio

Ohio State has recruited some really good kids this year and the past few years. Should be a formidable opponent in the coming years. Should make for an interesting rivalry again.
PSU, Okst and tOSU looking great for next 4 years. Iowa better piggyback off this years class or they will be in some trouble.

The recruiting situation in this class has been more a numbers crunch than anything else. Especially with the added eligibility. Not that there aren’t elite 2022 kids they missed on, but that they were very selective. If you look in the past, the recruiting cycles have tended to be large and small in alternating years.

CS, any idea how hard Cael went after Bouzakis?

CS, any idea how hard Cael went after Bouzakis?
My understanding was that there was a point in the process where PSU felt pretty good about its chances in that one but ultimately didn’t/couldn’t offer the package that Bouzakis was looking for.

Reactions: Ja1339
A bit surprised tOSU could land them both, wow what a recruiting class. The new facilities are already paying big dividends. That or the thought of shirts, robes and chains are appealing to highschool kids :).

Those two kids should be good for national runner ups for years to come.

I would have liked both to be in blue and white, but even with grey and red shirting someone great would have to sit. Truth be told we don't have much room for any 2022 kids. We will see some better traction in 2023 and 2024. We recruit in waves and win in waves.

We are going to start at least 5 freshmen this year (149, 157, 165, 174, and HWT). 197 could also see a freshman start and 125 would if the transfers don’t work out. We start one senior at a weight where we are also redshirting a current Cadet World team member who is a freshman. Aaron Brooks is the old man as a sophomore.

It’s not that difficult to figure out. Wake me up when Meyer Shapiro has an announcement 🤪

The next few years is going to be a three team race. PSU, tOSU and OSU. All three killing it on the recruiting end. We know PSU will out develop them. It’s going to be fun

Reactions: mjmirv
Ohio

Not so fast my friend. The buckeye classes of the last five years have imploded other than Sasso... Their entire lineup is practically open.

We are going to start at least 5 freshmen this year (149, 157, 165, 174, and HWT). 197 could also see a freshman start and 125 would if the transfers don’t work out. We start one senior at a weight where we are also redshirting a current Cadet World team member who is a freshman. Aaron Brooks is the old man as a sophomore.

It’s not that difficult to figure out. Wake me up when Meyer Shapiro has an announcement 🤪
Don’t forget that if Robbie is actually RS due to injury than he will also be a freshman upon his return

Ohio

Crockster, I agree. Despite what a few others say, one can't ignore the 1, 3, 2, 2, 2 NCAA finishes for tOSU from 2015-2019. The solid foundation that's already in the room, and successfully recruiting the likes of Mendez, Bouzakis, Feldman, Welsh and others means to me that it will be a fun rivalry.

And assuming one of either of the two Big Ten scheduling models used for the past decade or so is still used, Ohio State will be on our schedule every year. (Editorial comment: the B1G needs to find a way to get Iowa v PSU every year too!).

Mike Evans is not impressed with this assessment of Iowa's recruiting.
PSU and Iowa clearly have the best strategic plans going right now. To Brands’ credit, he shifted course on recruiting and went away from relying too much on hoping to develop “projects”. With their fan base, tradition, and coaching, they are our closest competition.

I think both tOSU and OSU are rudderless at times, especially the Cowboys. They both recruit lights out, but there’s no there, there. Crazy, whimsical weight class shuffling, favoritism, whining about RTCs and other fruitless pursuits, etc. I know Smith is an icon, but it’s been 16 years without a NC.

Since we are talking recruiting

My biggest concern with our young guns aside from Joe Lee (fingers crossed that the move down will result in great things) is Robbie Howard.

I was so stoked when we landed him, but now...I remain causiously hopeful? He could blow up at any time during any season over the next 5 years. As much as HR bitches about Cael recruiting iver kids which frankly there are very few examples (Dean). Down the road Howard at 133 (yes I don't see him as a career 125) is one weight class that we should recruit over Howard once RBY is gone.

Once you have had a second shoulder injury, it seems long term stability is sort of a ticking time bomb. I was concerned for Cassar and eventually he got bit again. I think placing all of our eggs in a Howard basket for 5 years is a long time. I hope I am wrong because I love the kid's game, but anytime he is caught underneath with arms extended I will feel the lump in my throat, let alone when resisting an arm bar.

Last edited:
PSU and Iowa clearly have the best strategic plans going right now. To Brands’ credit, he shifted course on recruiting and went away from relying too much on hoping to develop “projects”. With their fan base, tradition, and coaching, they are our closest competition.

I think both tOSU and OSU are rudderless at times, especially the Cowboys. They both recruit lights out, but there’s no there, there. Crazy, whimsical weight class shuffling, favoritism, whining about RTCs and other fruitless pursuits, etc. I know Smith is an icon, but it’s been 16 years without a NC.
A few yrs ago it seemed like Tan Tom was picking up Cael's scraps. (I know, unfair, grant me some literary license here.)

But now add those guys above to Kharchla and Gallagher (and perhaps also Gonzales), and he seems to have figured it out again.

Or at least figured out he needs 8 scoring wrestlers ...

EDIT: "those guys above" = Bouzakis, Mendez, Feldman, Shumate, Brown, Welsh, possibly Kilkeary. (Confused myself by posting on both boards.)

Last edited:

I’d say Bears is the old man as a fourth year freshman. What are the odds he stays and wrestles out his eligibility?

Wow. Sure hope the plan works out over the next 4-5 years. We've missed on quite a few. And have some questions looming.

A few yrs ago it seemed like Tan Tom was picking up Cael's scraps. (I know, unfair, grant me some literary license here.)

But now add those guys above to Kharchla and Gallagher (and perhaps also Gonzales), and he seems to have figured it out again.

Or at least figured out he needs 8 scoring wrestlers ...
Nobody is coming to PSU now given this Board's insight on Cael being let go. 😂😂😂😂😂

Wow. Sure hope the plan works out over the next 4-5 years. We've missed on quite a few. And have some questions looming.
Didn’t we just have the #1 class last year? Someone had it right - we’ve seemingly alternated light and heavy years over the past 6-8 recruiting cycles. I’m assuming next year will be a heavy one

Lets get (at least) 2 out of 3 of Shapiro, Arnold and Mullen. That would soothe your jangled nerves

Last edited:
Since we are talking recruiting

My biggest concern with our young guns aside from Joe Lee (fingers crossed that the move down will result in great things) is Robbie Howard.

I was so stoked when we landed him, but now...I remain causiously hopeful? He could blow up at any time during any season over the next 5 years. As much as HR bitches about Cael recruiting iver kids which frankly there are very few examples (Dean). Down the road Howard at 133 (yes I don't see him as a career 125) is one weight class that we should recruit over Howard once RBY is gone.

Once you have had a second shoulder injury, it seems long term stability is sort of a ticking time bomb. I was concerned for Cassar and eventually he got bit again. I think placing all of our eggs in a Howard basket for 5 years is a long time. I hope I am wrong because I love the kid's game, but anytime he is caught underneath with arms extended I will feel the lump in my throat, let alone when resisting an arm bar.
Willie (who's close with Robbie) said he sees him as a career 125 pounder now, which is fantastic. There will be concerns with his shoulder for sure but I think Cassar's case was worse. I think both times, Cassar's shoulder injury was noncontact. The shoulder just left the socket unforced which is terrifying. The first time it took him out of commission for 2 years basically. Robbie hurt his shoulder at NCAAs because McKee torqued it. Obviously that risk is always there in folk but giving Robbie this year off will be huge. Steen is a very nice piece to have and I imagine Cael is looking for a 133 somewhere (McGowan)

Joe Lee is a very good kid to have but Cael is obviously all in on Shapiro, who'll likely be a 157 at some point. Other question is what Facundo will be long term. Our weights are spoken for bottom line and they are for a very long time. Plus there's the transfer portal nowadays ;)

Didn’t we just have the #1 class last year? Someone had it right - we’ve seemingly alternated light and heavy years over the past 6-8 recruiting cycles. I’m assuming next year will be a heavy one

Lets get (at least) 2 out of 3 of Shapiro, Arnold and Mullen. That would soothe your jangled nerves
McGowan would also look good in blue/white.

But point taken. Except RBY and Nick Lee, our entire lineup has 3-4 yrs remaining. Plus the 2021-2022 recruits. Ohio State is becoming a real threat, but we're still the favorite for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Willie (who's close with Robbie) said he sees him as a career 125 pounder now, which is fantastic. There will be concerns with his shoulder for sure but I think Cassar's case was worse. I think both times, Cassar's shoulder injury was noncontact. The shoulder just left the socket unforced which is terrifying. The first time it took him out of commission for 2 years basically. Robbie hurt his shoulder at NCAAs because McKee torqued it. Obviously that risk is always there in folk but giving Robbie this year off will be huge. Steen is a very nice piece to have and I imagine Cael is looking for a 133 somewhere (McGowan)

Joe Lee is a very good kid to have but Cael is obviously all in on Shapiro, who'll likely be a 157 at some point. Other question is what Facundo will be long term. Our weights are spoken for bottom line and they are for a very long time. Plus there's the transfer portal nowadays ;)
Plans change, but they currently see Facundo as a career 165

Nobody is coming to PSU now given this Board's insight on Cael being let go. 😂😂😂😂😂
Let go? I thought he was set to cast aside the two “gold standard” programs he built in PA, uproot his family and move across the country to displace our highly successful national team coach in Colorado Springs.

Reactions: tbay165

What questions?

The problem with our current lineup is that it's too damn good, AND young.

Levi Haines being an exception, what middle-upper weight guy wants to come to PSU right now? You'll be riding pine. If Facundo starts this year and doesn't take an RS, 165, 174, 184, 197 and HW are locked down for a long, long time. If Haines take a GS and RS, he could be an AA-caliber wrestler sitting on the bench behind Starocci, Brooks or Beard for at least one year. A lot of people see that log jam like that and want to go some place where they can start after a RS.

BB is a world medalist who might very well be riding the pine this year as well, behind a current/returning NCAA champion. If SVN goes 149 for his career, which he might have to unless he just can't make 149 anymore, that spot is locked down for a long time, too.

There aren't too many holes in the lineup; 125 and 133 after NEXT YEAR will be the only questions.

Plans change, but they currently see Facundo as a career 165
That would be fantastic. If we don't get TJ Stewart, we're pretty set at upper weights since Levi Haines is almost certainly going to be a 174/184 pounder according to himself. That being said, I would really like one of Stewart/Arnold but they might even be a package deal (and UNC seems to be the spot there)

That would be fantastic. If we don't get TJ Stewart, we're pretty set at upper weights since Levi Haines is almost certainly going to be a 174/184 pounder according to himself. That being said, I would really like one of Stewart/Arnold but they might even be a package deal (and UNC seems to be the spot there)
Dont tell that to Iowa fans. I'm kinda loving watching them kiss Mr Arnold's ass over on HR.

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs

My recollection was that Cassar’s injury vs. Bradley occurred when the former was in hard on legs and trying to lift . . . followed by Bradley pouncing on Cassar when the latter had stopped wrestling and was on all fours. Not sure when the worst damage occurred, or whether the sequence qualifies as a contact injury.

Either way, bad shoulders and bad lower backs are — more often than not — chronic problems once they are injured significantly.

Reactions: psumacw and Ski
Tan Tom's recent recruiting successes will be further scientific proof that Tropicana Sun Tan Lotion causes athletic under performance.

I think the NCAA ruling not counting last year but counting the year before has had a few repercussions in our sport or a sport with so few schollies.... record books will change and the recruiting is a challenge if no one 'leaves'

Reactions: Ski

to bad Penn State cant get every great recruit from Pa but they only got 10 weights they gotta go somewhere!!

not sure those weights will match up. i've heard bouzakis might be a 133. hasn't really grown much recently.
Correct - I think Cael really wanted one of them to be a career 133 ... not sure if either were sold on that (since Bartlett is almost certainly a career 141)

Reactions: Ja1339

Cassar also had some decent sized dudes putting pressure on the shoulder.

Beau or Shane for 149? Not that the Clarion open is a bell weather for anything, but it is interesting Beau passed.

BB remains my bet for 149 this year and 141 next. I see little sense in burning SVNs shirt this year unless he is handling Beau consistently.

Beau had a quasi Redshirt last year, if Shane is taking it to him after a full year in the program, lookout 149 world, he's coming for you.

Beau or Shane for 149? Not that the Clarion open is a bell weather for anything, but it is interesting Beau passed.

BB remains my bet for 149 this year and 141 next. I see little sense in burning SVNs shirt this year unless he is handling Beau consistently.

Beau had a quasi Redshirt last year, if Shane is taking it to him after a full year in the program, lookout 149 world, he's coming for you.
Don’t think anything is concrete, but Van Ness was also on campus much of last year. Beau is also the far more likely to be 141 over time, so from the bits and pieces I’ve heard I think there’s a very solid chance that Van Ness goes 149 and Bartlett redshirts.

SVN just has a higher ceiling at 149 than Beau IMO. Beau's size and reach will be an issue at 149. Kid is so technically sound and strong that he will hang in every match (like Sasso) but I think Shayne is a better bet to make the podium once he gets his defense really seasoned.

Picking up points at 149 is a must either way this year if we want to upset Iowa. It's a very open class.

ADVERTISEMENT