ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

184/197, probably he and Levi split those weights.

Should've mentioned above: of those 4 schools, only PSU and VT were on his previously published school list. UNC and Maryland added; Virginia, Navy, Ohio State, and Michigan dropped out.
Hmmmm. Levi?

184/197, probably he and Levi split those weights.

Should've mentioned above: of those 4 schools, only PSU and VT were on his previously published school list. UNC and Maryland added; Virginia, Navy, Ohio State, and Michigan dropped out.
I rub my hands together when I see El-Jefe replied to the recruiting thread.

One interesting thing not related is that all these Waynesburg kids are going to different schools, but none are going to UNC or Pitt where Coleman and Drew are at. It’s a really small community, I thought that was interesting.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Beard's tank issue is not psychological, it isn't some weird genetic disorder.
He works hard in the room where the concentration is on wrestling and practicing techniques. The hard-core cardio is developed outside the room.
His attack rate is really high for a 197lber. Doing what David Taylor has been able to do at that escalated weight is not natural. Beard has everything else, if he’s a hard worker, he’ll trust his lungs and get through those tough times. Our expectation for these kids is so ridiculously high sometimes. I like him and it wouldn’t shock me if he beats Dean.

Let's just say this. Beard's tank can't help but be improved with the prospect of another AA+ level stud competing for his spot.

I feel pretty confident whomever takes the mat this year will be better and deliver more points than last year at 197.

Mid October is way too early to read much into who is rumored to be stronger in the room.

The next 2 months should be fun and we might see the two of them meet up in the finals of an open tourney.

The Shak v Cassar debate raged well into March. I thought Cassar was the man at the time, but was proved wrong.... for about a year :)

Just my take.
Dean is a finalist. An NCAA finalist is generally not something that is gifted. Dean is two time AA.
Dean is damn good. Any attempt to belittle the accomplishments of a a junior who is already a 2 time AA is really bizarre.
Beard is also really good. As a sophomore he is already an AA who has pushed a couple of the truly elite 197 dudes to the limit before falling short. He does have a history of gas tank issues, and that gas tank is the reason for most of the kid's losses last year.

If Dean is our 197 pounder, we probably have a top 4 kid who is a legitimate threat to Okie State's race car.
Considering Dean has a large gas tank, the only way Beard claims the 197 spot from Dean is if Beard has corrected his gas tank issues. If Beard has a gas tank, and is beating Dean, then we got something special at 197.
he's definitely damn good. i think he's a top 4 guy at 184. i just don't love the idea of him up at 197, which is much improved from a couple years ago. i think he's definitely an aa threat at 197, but i think beard might be even better.

197 should be fun this year. ferrari, nino, warner, elam, brucki, amos, darmstadt, beard/dean. quickly became a deep weight. could be very important in the team race because both warner and beard/dean could not place if they slip up. potential points ranging from finalist to r12 or worse.

he's definitely damn good. i think he's a top 4 guy at 184. i just don't love the idea of him up at 197, which is much improved from a couple years ago. i think he's definitely an aa threat at 197, but i think beard might be even better.

197 should be fun this year. ferrari, nino, warner, elam, brucki, amos, darmstadt, beard/dean. quickly became a deep weight. could be very important in the team race because both warner and beard/dean could not place if they slip up. potential points ranging from finalist to r12 or worse.
And that list doesn't include 2 seed Schultz, 3 seed Norfleet, 8 seed Buchanan ... plus guys like Sloan, Bulsak, Adams, Caffey, Woodley, etc. Lots of guys at this weight who could send someone home on a bad day.

Another wrinkle in the PSU 197 competition is that maybe Beard has higher upside but Dean appears to be more consistent. Surer points vs greater risk/reward. Will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: crockster
And that list doesn't include 2 seed Schultz, 3 seed Norfleet, 8 seed Buchanan ... plus guys like Sloan, Bulsak, Adams, Caffey, Woodley, etc. Lots of guys at this weight who could send someone home on a bad day.

Another wrinkle in the PSU 197 competition is that maybe Beard has higher upside but Dean appears to be more consistent. Surer points vs greater risk/reward. Will be interesting to watch.
yeah i knew i was leaving out a bunch of good guys too. the consistency question is interesting. we also haven't really seen dean in folkstyle for 2 years. he had some rough freestyle performances, so maybe that's somewhat coloring my perspective on him.

Never said it wouldn't. folkstyle fan started this part of the discussion with "Why all the doubt of steen he’s a 2 time state champ right now. I believe we had another 2 x state champ that did very well. Hmm wasnt his name joseph" No mention was made in that post or any of the subsequent ones mentioning Cael.
Sorry, NoVa, my bad. I thought you were linking Davis to your statement about Cael’s track record. No worries.

Reactions: jtothemfp

Did you just introduce this season’s Morelli-Rasheed controversy? 😉

Reactions: jtothemfp
Gassing is a complicated thing. For some it's as simple as training harder. But for a number of others there's a psychological component, including getting too hyped up before the match, and that's a lot trickier to overcome. I think Andrew Alton had a significant psychological component. I'm not sure what is behind Beard's gas tank issues, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just needing to train harder. I would be shocked if Beard hasn't be training hard.

Sorry Nitlion6: I didn't see your post before posting this. Sounds like we have the same thought.
lol riding a bike wont do shit for your stamina gotta wrestle a whole lot!!

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
You know with all this talk of Beard, i think someone needs to start a rumor of Beard going to Heavyweight because Kerk is leaving after next year...I’ll be that guy

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Beard's tank issue is not psychological, it isn't some weird genetic disorder.
He works hard in the room where the concentration is on wrestling and practicing techniques. The hard-core cardio is developed outside the room.
Sometimes it is simple breathing or lack thereof. Sometimes it is a hard habit to break away from holding your breath during maximum exertion. More common than you might guess.

Reactions: slushhead
I still remember that match against amine. He was close very close
It was 4-4 with 30 seconds left, Beard takes him down and slips and Amine covers for the reversal. Beard loses in SV. Beard is lucky it wasn’t an escape and takedown at first also.

Sometimes it is simple breathing or lack thereof. Sometimes it is a hard habit to break away from holding your breath during maximum exertion. More common than you might guess.

Yep, just ask Spencer.

His loses in the past and if he loses again it will be when someone can hang with him close in points to the 3rd period. A gas tank isn't always associated with effort in the room, some of the capacity is genetic.

I'm seeing beard red shirt and Dean taking the spot just because of experience I may be wrong but it's a win win either way for us

Man nats is a meat grinder sheesh. When you start throwing names out it shows how hard it really is to be a champion

His attack rate is really high for a 197lber. Doing what David Taylor has been able to do at that escalated weight is not natural. Beard has everything else, if he’s a hard worker, he’ll trust his lungs and get through those tough times. Our expectation for these kids is so ridiculously high sometimes. I like him and it wouldn’t shock me if he beats Dean.
If Beard's lung is an issue, perhaps changing his attack rate by slowing it down a little in order to go full 3 periods? I can see Beard as another Anthony Cassar because both are athletic, fast, and skilled for a 97 pounder. If he can do that, then the lungs won't be an issue.

David Morris Taylor III seems to disagree with you. He rides a bike quite a bit.
Really?

Very few people here know what Beard's training regimen is, or if it's appropriate. For all you or I know. Beard could be over-training. He would hardly be the first -- over the years Cael has had to kick several guys out of the room for their own good.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Andrew Alton also had a 4 shoulder surgeries component.
Met him at The Saloon after graduation his Senior year. Really a nice guy, as was Dylan. Had his arm in a sling and he showed me his last surgical scar. It was a beaut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT