ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

In which case, damn shame we landed Cenzo. He got headlocked twice in the first period of one match.
Well Carson Kuhn threw a pretty big headlock but still lost. Vinny will probably be a low podium guy when he gets there.

Jacaruso beat him, charlie bunting had him on the ropes. I mean there's kids out there who will and have beat vinny

With 7-8 freshman potential starters (7 weights) on our soon to be national championship squad I think we will see another year or two of PA defections. Hard to blame the kids.
None of this is new here on this board. Every 3 or 4 years we hear chirping from disgruntled fans about a lull in recruiting and bringing in kids from PA and the rest of the U.S. for that matter. It's just the natural progression of things..

giphy.gif

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Also important to remember that even though they aren't old yet like Iowa's team, all of your youngsters get the same extra year of eligibility too, so that may have affected targets and available money at certain weights.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Just curious because I haven't thought much about recruiting lately, are there a couple kids you guys really want? Need weights? As of now, who takes over for RBY?

Best stretch Brands has had since his threepeat came with PA kids that wouldn't have started at PSU all 4 years

Let's go away from recruiting PA kids!
I think this ignores a lot of the context of that stretch of recruiting. Iowa had a sharp decline in instate talent, which forced them to look elsewhere. They aren't just recruiting the Sebolt kids because they're from Iowa. They have legit national level talent now. It's pretty similar to the young guns pipeline. Legit elite future P4P/ncaa title contending recruits in Ayala and Jesuroga (Kemerer/Lee) with solid mid level/top 40 guys like Riggins, Keuter, Rathjen, and Schriever (akin to Young/Murin) who can also produce. Then a bunch more "room" guys with upside, but will mostly likely provide a great training environment at home.

And they're still in on national level talent as well. Serious interest with Mendez, Arnold, Franklin, Barr, etc...Who are the PA kids they're missing on? I was under the impression that PA is a little weaker than usual right now. It's not like Cael is recruiting it heavily either.

Iowa went all in on Sebolt. This could either make them or break them.
In the next few years Iowa will be out of the top five. They are getting crushed on the recruiting scene.
PSU gets who ever we want!
Oklahoma State has some studs from the last year classes.
Tan Tommy is putting together a solid crew.
TJ Sebolt may as well just take the Iowa Assistant job.

Just curious because I haven't thought much about recruiting lately, are there a couple kids you guys really want? Need weights? As of now, who takes over for RBY?
To be honest, we're in luxury recruiting mode and a half. Literally here is what we have in our lineup and when their last NCAAs would be in theory.

125 - Steen/Howard (2026) Assuming a RS next year. Steen would go if no Suriano.
133 - Steen/Howard (2026) Assuming a RS next year
141 - Bartlett (2026) Assuming a RS next year
149 - SVN (2025) Assuming he's wrestling next year, can RS later
157 - J Lee (2025) No RS unless he qualifies for ORS in 2024
165 - Facundo (2025) Assuming he's wrestling next year, can RS later. We have Levi Haines here also and I have no idea if he's greyshirting or not.
174 - Starocci (2025) No RS but ORS will be available in 2024
184 - Brooks (2024) RS Available, ORS will be available in 2024
197 - Beard (2025) No RS unless he qualifies for ORS in 2024
285 - Kerkvliet (2025) RS Available (think his ORS covered his transfer year) and ORS will be available in 2024

Does that mean Cael is satisfied isn't out recruiting? Absolutely not. I know Cael put the full court press on Richie Figs in 2020 also before RoHo even enrolled at PSU lol. He is definitely all in on Gabe Arnold, TJ Stewart, Jesse Mendez right now. Hard to imagine he isn't putting the full court press on Meyer Shapiro either. To answer your question about RBY, I think Cael is hoping Mendez is down to go 133 for a bit but I'm not counting on him, I look for him to prioritize MA McGowan.

He constantly wants the best and the kids he is recruiting probably aren't worried about not starting. Also, I'd be shocked if all those kids stay until their last year of eligibility, particularly I can see Kerkvliet dipping out sooner rather than later if he wins a title and wants to jump start his MMA career. Similarly with that much logjam, someone is bound to transfer at some point. Weights will shfit a ton also, for example, does Facundo hold 165 all 4 years? I'd be SHOCKED lol.

Last edited:
I think this ignores a lot of the context of that stretch of recruiting. Iowa had a sharp decline in instate talent, which forced them to look elsewhere. They aren't just recruiting the Sebolt kids because they're from Iowa. They have legit national level talent now. It's pretty similar to the young guns pipeline. Legit elite future P4P/ncaa title contending recruits in Ayala and Jesuroga (Kemerer/Lee) with solid mid level/top 40 guys like Riggins, Keuter, Rathjen, and Schriever (akin to Young/Murin) who can also produce. Then a bunch more "room" guys with upside, but will mostly likely provide a great training environment at home.

And they're still in on national level talent as well. Serious interest with Mendez, Arnold, Franklin, Barr, etc...Who are the PA kids they're missing on? I was under the impression that PA is a little weaker than usual right now. It's not like Cael is recruiting it heavily either.
That's fair and to be honest, I was more kidding but now realize I didn't really give off those vibes in my post. Appreciate your analysis as always though.

Reactions: js8793
Iowa went all in on Sebolt. This could either make them or break them.
In the next few years Iowa will be out of the top five. They are getting crushed on the recruiting scene.
PSU gets who ever we want!
Oklahoma State has some studs from the last year classes.
Tan Tommy is putting together a solid crew.
TJ Sebolt may as well just take the Iowa Assistant job.
The last time a Brands Iowa team finished outside the Top 5 was when?

What McSoreley said. No real needs for a while as things stand.

If there are weight priorities, it would be 133 (if Howard or Steen aren't moving up from 125) and HWT (if Kerk doesn't go all 4 years or has more injury issues). But these are risk reduction as opposed to needs.

Otherwise it's best available and let the chips fall where they may. Cael tried for Jesuroga; ia still after Mendez, Stewart, Arnold, Franklin, Barr, and Heeg that we know of; almost certainly Shapiro, quite possibly also Mullen and/or McGowan. And of course the usual disclaimer that Cael finds guys we don't know about.

Y’all should be day trading Swamp Land on Commodities exchanges in stead day trading and speculating on the lineup. Geeesh

None of this is new here on this board. Every 3 or 4 years we hear chirping from disgruntled fans about a lull in recruiting and bringing in kids from PA and the rest of the U.S. for that matter. It's just the natural progression of things..
I believe you are right that it is the natural progression of things, however that natural progression was disturbed with the free year last year due to Covid

Reactions: Antaeus
To be honest, we're in luxury recruiting mode and a half. Literally here is what we have in our lineup and when their last NCAAs would be in theory.

125 - Steen/Howard (2026) Assuming a RS next year. Steen would go if no Suriano.
133 - Steen/Howard (2026) Assuming a RS next year
141 - Bartlett (2026) Assuming a RS next year
149 - SVN (2025) Assuming he's wrestling next year, can RS later
157 - J Lee (2025) No RS unless he qualifies for ORS in 2024
165 - Facundo (2025) Assuming he's wrestling next year, can RS later. We have Levi Haines here also and I have no idea if he's greyshirting or not.
174 - Starocci (2025) No RS but ORS will be available in 2024
184 - Brooks (2024) RS Available, ORS will be available in 2024
197 - Beard (2025) No RS unless he qualifies for ORS in 2024
285 - Kerkvliet (2025) RS Available (think his ORS covered his transfer year) and ORS will be available in 2024

Does that mean Cael is satisfied isn't out recruiting? Absolutely not. I know Cael put the full court press on Richie Figs in 2020 also before RoHo even enrolled at PSU lol. He is definitely all in on Gabe Arnold, TJ Stewart, Jesse Mendez right now. Hard to imagine he isn't putting the full court press on Meyer Shapiro either. To answer your question about RBY, I think Cael is hoping Mendez is down to go 133 for a bit but I'm not counting on him, I look for him to prioritize MA McGowan.

He constantly wants the best and the kids he is recruiting probably aren't worried about not starting. Also, I'd be shocked if all those kids stay until their last year of eligibility, particularly I can see Kerkvliet dipping out sooner rather than later if he wins a title and wants to jump start his MMA career. Similarly with that much logjam, someone is bound to transfer at some point. Weights will shfit a ton also, for example, does Facundo hold 165 all 4 years? I'd be SHOCKED lol.
This is close to what I had in mind as well. I'd definitely look for 125/133 because I'm not sold on Steen being a meaningful contributor (at least not by PSU standards) and Howard is off to a rough start with injuries. It's also really hard to find career 125's too. 157/165 would be next because I too am skeptical that Lee and Facundo can hold those weights for 4 more years. Either way, definitely luxury mode.

Unfortunately, I think Iowa beat him for the top lightweight recruit with Jesuroga and Cael making a serious push for a guy who was considered an Iowa lock tells me he might agree. McGowan is good too, but it seems like he's fallen under the radar in the last year or two. Really liked him a couple years ago. Could just be me not paying enough attention, but he has fallen a bit in Willie's rankings.

In summary, Cael is probably gonna win a few duals in the next few years.

Why all the doubt of steen he’s a 2 time state champ right now. I believe we had another 2 x state champ that did very well. Hmm wasnt his name joseph
So what? Wiercioch and Racciato were 3x champs.

Steen is a good prospect but was a small 120 who finished 3rd in PA last year against HS boys. It's fair to wonder how he'll fare as a 125 true freshman against college men.

So what? Wiercioch and Racciato were 3x champs.

Steen is a good prospect but was a small 120 who finished 3rd in PA last year against HS boys. It's fair to wonder how he'll fare as a 125 true freshman against college men.
I saw him in person a few times last season. He had a hard time finding his offense vs D2/low end D1 recruits like Biscoe from Southern Columbia. Tough kid, great positional wrestler. He is going to have to figure out how to score points to compete in the Big 10. I feel the same way about Nolan Lear who is a senior this year. Elite defense, strong as an ox, struggles to score points.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I saw him in person a few times last season. He had a hard time finding his offense vs D2/low end D1 recruits like Biscoe from Southern Columbia. Tough kid, great positional wrestler. He is going to have to figure out how to score points to compete in the Big 10. I feel the same way about Nolan Lear who is a senior this year. Elite defense, strong as an ox, struggles to score points.
^^ This.

I like Steen as a prospect, very happy Cael flipped him. We're hearing he's now a full-sized 125, and hopefully that's true. And he'll improve in the PSU room.

He's still a true freshman in a weight with a lot of returning talent. A reasonable expectation today is 1-2 or maybe 2-2 at nationals with a good draw, subject to revision with college results under his belt.

Anyone who today honestly thinks Steen will approach Cenzo's freshman year (or Zain's or Nico's, etc.) is either a Steen relative or on crack.

And Phil Davis never finished above 4th at PIAAs but was a 4x AA, 2x NCAA finalist and NCAA Champ. Some kids develop a lot and others don't. How Cael and company manage to keep on picking (for the most part) the ones that will develop is beyond me.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT