ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

We have no other choice. You guys made fun of us for having too many kids from Pennsylvania....🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: jrod65
Per Willie’s special announcement about recruitment news.

Tan Tom lands team nil Tropicana Sponsorship deal!

Reactions: danoftw
We have no other choice. You guys made fun of us for having too many kids from Pennsylvania....🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Iowa used to raid PA for Recruits. Now it’s Tan Tom. We need to keep this guy out of PA

Feldman, Bouzakis, Possibly Welsh

Is there a coach out there that does less with as much talent as Tan Tom pulls in? OSU is the place where national championship dreams go to die.

Is there a coach out there that does less with as much talent as Tan Tom pulls in? OSU is the place where national championship dreams go to die.
If you’re talking performance on Friday or Saturday night, I suppose that’s kinda fair, if you also set aside Snyder and Steiber. Nato and Myles didn’t live up to their first years. Pletcher and Kolin lost their last opportunity. I bet Sammy wins at least one. BoJo ran into Mark,McKenna was a Yianni scramble away…

I think tOSU is an obvious choice if your goal is multiple AA with a shot at a title or two.

@js8793 I’ve been taking notes on your posts. How’d I do?

If you’re talking performance on Friday or Saturday night, I suppose that’s kinda fair, if you also set aside Snyder and Steiber. Nato and Myles didn’t live up to their first years. Pletcher and Kolin lost their last opportunity. I bet Sammy wins at least one. BoJo ran into Mark,McKenna was a Yianni scramble away…

I think tOSU is an obvious choice if your goal is multiple AA with a shot at a title or two.

No. 1 Greg Kerkvliet No. 3 Carson Kharchla No. 6 Jordan Decatur No. 18 Dylan D'Emilio

No. 4 Sammy Sasso No. 10 Gavin Hoffman No. 15 Quinn Kinner

No reason to list 2020/2021 to early to tell.

I don’t belive you can discount Logan and Kyle, but they were about as can’t miss as you can get. They would have won no matter where then went. No different then Spencer or Taylor.

Not a lot of success from this list. Sammy will have a tougher time in the next few years. He is good but offensively he hasn’t shown much improvement. So I wouldn’t take that bet. Your list proves the point, a whole lotta underachieving.

The idea that people from the past kept true to what they said must have been well before our country gave the Native Americans pieces of land, and took them, and gave different land, and took it......Breaking the word is not a new thing. The income tax was temporary according to the people who implemented it.
Blame it on the British, who started this whole thing.
Question: how friendly were the Indians to each other, and who sold Africans into slavery.

No. 1 Greg Kerkvliet No. 3 Carson Kharchla No. 6 Jordan Decatur No. 18 Dylan D'Emilio

No. 4 Sammy Sasso No. 10 Gavin Hoffman No. 15 Quinn Kinner

No reason to list 2020/2021 to early to tell.

I don’t belive you can discount Logan and Kyle, but they were about as can’t miss as you can get. They would have won no matter where then went. No different then Spencer or Taylor.

Not a lot of success from this list. Sammy will have a tougher time in the next few years. He is good but offensively he hasn’t shown much improvement. So I wouldn’t take that bet. Your list proves the point, a whole lotta underachieving.
I wasn't totally disagreeing with you to begin with. But I will point out that everybody who gets top recruits have some that don't quite work out as anticipated., Cael included--I don't want to call out names, because I'm still fans of those guys, and they typically busted their butts anyway.

I think what separates the best team from the best program and the rest is performance under pressure. That's where the stats really jump out. I love to rip on Tom Ryan, but he's built a very nice program there. It's unlikely to threaten PSU consistently as long as C C & C are trying though.

Just a random thought. I noticed a bunch of head/assistant coach's at the Columbus Day Duals (Manheim, PA) over this past weekend. My 9 year old got to shake hands with Brandon Eggum after a match between our teams. If my son didn't go 1-7, maybe there would be something too it 😜. I seen Minnesota head, Princeton head, and a few for other east coast schools. You could tell there was a different buzz in the place.

Reactions: poorwrestler

Micah Jordan also reached a finals despite being so bad on bottom that a one-legged man turned him at will while riding legs.

Tan Tom was also head coach for Pucillo's title + both of Jaggers' titles, though those don't count because wrestling hadn't yet been invented.

Gonna partially disagree on Snyder. He would've won his JR year pretty much anywhere. But there were a very few schools where he would've beaten Gwiz and Coon.

Not intended as a knock on Snyder, just recognizing that those are 2 world medalists. One lost to Snyder in OT, the other beat Snyder in the dual.

Ryan deserves some credit for that.

Gonna partially disagree on Snyder. He would've won his JR year pretty much anywhere. But there were a very few schools where he would've beaten Gwiz and Coon.

Not intended as a knock on Snyder, just recognizing that those are 2 world medalists. One lost to Snyder in OT, the other beat Snyder in the dual.

Ryan deserves some credit for that.
Snyder a 179–0 record in High School and didn’t wrestle as a senior. Junior world title his junior year inhigh school. Kyle trained outside of OSU most of his wrestling time there. Im not saying Tan Tom deserves no credit, just the Kyle would have been successful anywhere.

Snyder a 179–0 record in High School and didn’t wrestle as a senior. Junior world title his junior year inhigh school. Kyle trained outside of OSU most of his wrestling time there. Im not saying Tan Tom deserves no credit, just the Kyle would have been successful anywhere.
I don't think this is true at all. When he was there, he was actually there (as opposed to Cox for example). He travelled, but it was always for a tournament. They even brought in guys like Akgul to train with him for example.

i don't see any lies here

in all seriousness, it does seem like the last couple classes for tOSU have fallen flat. It happens, but they need to rebound quickly here if they want to continue being seen as a powerhouse and not just a very good program. some pretty high profile misses with decatur, hoffman, singletary, maddox. even guys like heinselman and romero who have been solid, haven't been what they were projected.

It’s odd to me PSU hasn’t gotten any 2023 verbals yet. I mean they have dominated the past 8-9 years.

Who cares what Snyder's HS record was. Marsteller was unbeaten too.

Also you're dead wrong about Snyder's training. He largely competed away from Columbus, but definitely trained there.

Reactions: fronk71
Who cares what Snyder's HS record was. Marsteller was unbeaten too.
What’s you point here? All I’m saying is Snyder was driven before he got to OSU for greatness. He had excellent coaching outside of OSU that he would have received anywhere he went. I’m not saying he didn’t get great coaching from Tan Tom. He was a different animal reshaped the mindset of the heavys during his time and proved you didn’t to be a big sloppy guy in the division. He set the stage for all to follow.

It’s odd to me PSU hasn’t gotten any 2023 verbals yet. I mean they have dominated the past 8-9 years.
2023 kids I think Cael are all in for are very early in their recruitment. Meyer Shapiro is obviously the big prize but the kid hasn't even started visiting yet I believe.

2023 kids I think Cael are all in for are very early in their recruitment. Meyer Shapiro is obviously the big prize but the kid hasn't even started visiting yet I believe.
Any other big ones for 2022 besides the one we have. (Side note , we need the recruiting excel file to come with us where ever we go (hopefully 247)

PSU has a young team at most weights. Maybe a future 133 but not much left after that. Especially if you believe you have NC talent at each weight.

Unless the NCAA allows PSU to form and compete with a second squad, I think we will always see a a year (maybe even two) mixed in where we get very few recruits. As it stands right now without adding anyone, I could see PSU being favored to win the National Championship for the next 3 to 4 years.

Thank You
A lot of replies say paid context. Guessing free account won’t see everything ?
Free account seems to give you everything you need to see and post in the wrestling forum there--but probably not the new "Lion's Den" etc.

What is different right now is that you can't read the forum without being logged in with at least a free account--but I'm hoping maybe that changes after the official launch.

Unless the NCAA allows PSU to form and compete with a second squad, I think we will always see a a year (maybe even two) mixed in where we get very few recruits. As it stands right now without adding anyone, I could see PSU being favored to win the National Championship for the next 3 to 4 years.
And with one senior, one junior and one sophomore in the current starting lineup (not to mention a couple of AA level backups), there's not a lot of room.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT