ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Willie and Fellers stated on "Hager Happy Hour" yesterday that they both believe we'll see Suriano at Penn State January of 2022.

Fellers being an Iowa homer tried to bring up a few negative parts of it (tbh it's what's regurgitated here a lot)

1. He said "this goes against everything Cael stands for" (because he knows all about that!) as a program to cater to a mercenary for team points but "Cael just wants to win that bad". Hager and Willie both countered that with "That's literally his job"

2. He also said "Suriano TRASHED Penn State on the way out" Willie said that's not an issue at all. That might be more for the camera and drama. He said Cael and Nick really couldn't get along better. Nick actually loved the team a lot and loved Cael as his coach. Him and Cael were actually on good terms as he was already on the way out. Obviously mentioned Bob being where the issues in 2017 came from.

3. Will he butt heads with Gilman? Willie said Cael will take care of that and that he doesn't think Nick will be around for longer than 3 months. Mentioned he wouldn't be shocked if he packed up and moved out right after NCAAs next year.
Another good reason to watch Hager’s Happy Hour… great show, when I’m not stuck at work.

Do people really think Cael wants to win more than other coaches in the NCAA? The Brands? Tom Ryan? Rob Koll? Every single coach wants to win "that bad." Since when is wanting to win as a coach a negative? Because that's what that accusation is, that wanting to win is a negative. Nick Suriano is a kid who has never been in any trouble at any school he has ever been to. The idea that him coming back to PSU somehow makes or prove that Cael Sanderson is some evil vile person is just ridiculous. It's simple jealousy. That's all it is. People are tired of seeing Penn State own the college wrestling world and are afraid that the next decade is going to look just like the last one.
Fellers has the upmost respect for Cael. All D1 coaches want to win

Reactions: jrod65
It's humorous when Iowa fans complain about Penn State getting transfers.
Given the changes in the transfer rules (almost but not quite a free-for-all), no fan from any team regardless of sport can say anything about any other program or coach regarding transfers. Sure, it may benefit some more than others, but the kids now have some flexibility, which is a good thing imo.

Tbh, I'm personally still torn a bit because to me it's a commitment thing, and I believe a person's word is their bond. But we're talking 18-22 year olds with ever-changing wrestling room dynamics (coaching changes, new competition in the room, needing a change of environment, etc.), so it's all good.

Back to the subject of Cael and Nick. Cael would never (or let's say rarely ever) burn any bridge, just not in his nature.

Unfortunately we now live in a world where your word or commitment means nothing to most.
A most disappointing but accurate commentary on life today. So glad I grew up in a time when your word meant something. I have friends from 40 to almost 60 years back whose words I have never had any reason to question. May we all have such people in our lives.

Fellers has the upmost respect for Cael. All D1 coaches want to win
You show yourself now!?!? The board is ending soon Corby!

I did not intend to sound anti Fellers, I have tremendous respect for him. He's a pretty straight shooter which I always respect and he's very passionate about wrestling. Just mentioned what he said is what a lot of people (PSU fans or not) have been thinking about a potential Suriano return (Gilman and him, does Cael even like him anymore)

Reactions: nitlion6
Do people really think Cael wants to win more than other coaches in the NCAA? The Brands? Tom Ryan? Rob Koll? Every single coach wants to win "that bad." Since when is wanting to win as a coach a negative? Because that's what that accusation is, that wanting to win is a negative. Nick Suriano is a kid who has never been in any trouble at any school he has ever been to. The idea that him coming back to PSU somehow makes or prove that Cael Sanderson is some evil vile person is just ridiculous. It's simple jealousy. That's all it is. People are tired of seeing Penn State own the college wrestling world and are afraid that the next decade is going to look just like the last one.
People who earn money talking, more often than occasionally will babble stupid shyt just to make a sound.

You can look at a lot of top D1 teams right now and see transfers / flips in commitment, just smart coaching. The job of the coach is to make these young people be the best version of themselves, but they also need to win. With the new transfer rules, why wouldn’t a kid go where he can get max experience and placement, teams get max winning potential and team performance. As long as the kid isn’t trouble or problems.

I did not intend to sound anti Fellers, I have tremendous respect for him. He's a pretty straight shooter which I always respect and he's very passionate about wrestling. Just mentioned what he said is what a lot of people (PSU fans or not) have been thinking about a potential Suriano return (Gilman and him, does Cael even like him anymore)
Per Willie on the same show said Cael and Nick get along great, even during the whole transfer saga.

Reactions: Ja1339
If he were coming here , wouldn’t we get pics of him with nlwc training ? Or very soon

If he were coming here , wouldn’t we get pics of him with nlwc training ? Or very soon

osha-policies-regulations-sign-onep-4755_1000.gif

No way Nick isn’t posting shirtless photos within Lorenzo

Haven't seen any shirtless Nick selfies anywhere in a while, but I'll defer to LemonPie on that.

My guess is that if he is coming to PSU he will announce it on Flo or some other platform and he wouldn't be posting photos at PSU to preclude that.

Last edited:

Joined back in May for some reason it wouldnt allow me to post until recently. And this board ending sucks by the way

Crazy world we live in now where college kids get paid and can come and go as they please. Something we just have to get used to I suppose.

Willie says there is a big commitment coming tonight. Junior class of 23'. Any guesses?

It's funny seeing how HR differentiates between Iowa taking transfers and Penn State taking transfers.

Brands = smart, resourceful
Cael = evil, win at any cost
Well that's not what I was portraying. I was referring to all of us fans as a whole getting used to the Portal transfers, Nil $, sponsorships etc. We never know what tommarrow will bring

Willie says there is a big commitment coming tonight. Junior class of 23'. Any guesses?
Hopefully not another Hawkeye. 🤞🏼

EDIT - announcement postponed a few days per Willie.

Last edited:
A most disappointing but accurate commentary on life today. So glad I grew up in a time when your word meant something. I have friends from 40 to almost 60 years back whose words I have never had any reason to question. May we all have such people in our lives.

People's words or commitments don't mean any more or less today than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. The only thing that has changed is the ability to move around. If these same transfer rules were in place 30 years ago you would have seen kids moving around 30 years ago like they are today. When people talk about kids honoring their commitment to schools in the past it was because they had no choice. The eligibility rules didn't make it viable to transfer the way kids can today.

People's words or commitments don't mean any more or less today than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. The only thing that has changed is the ability to move around. If these same transfer rules were in place 30 years ago you would have seen kids moving around 30 years ago like they are today. When people talk about kids honoring their commitment to schools in the past it was because they had no choice. The eligibility rules didn't make it viable to transfer the way kids can today.
The current generation is always lacking in the previous generations' perceptions.

Rubbish. A man’s word is his bond, not today.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
Rubbish. A man’s word is his bond, not today.
My previous comments were at most peripheral to wrestling. They were about how we choose to live our lives. An honor code used to mean something. Treating people with respect was expected. I watched the second half of the Iowa game with a growing sense of sadness and disgust. Win or lose, I just wanted to see a well played game, hopefully free of any serious injuries. For those who remember Paul Brown: "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."

The idea that people from the past kept true to what they said must have been well before our country gave the Native Americans pieces of land, and took them, and gave different land, and took it......Breaking the word is not a new thing. The income tax was temporary according to the people who implemented it.
Exactly. I deal with a lot of rich, blowhard Texans who make cracks about Yankees not being men of their word. These same guys (who generally do nothing and collect mail box money due to sound decisions made by their forebears or pure luck inheriting land interests in massive mineral/O&G deposits) will change deal terms on a dime.

Exactly. I deal with a lot of rich, blowhard Texans who make cracks about Yankees not being men of their word. These same guys (who generally do nothing and collect mail box money due to sound decisions made by their forebears or pure luck inheriting land interests in massive mineral/O&G deposits) will change deal terms on a dime.
Want to see a Texan, with a straight face, tell u that isn't what he meant - watch him talk when the energy(s) spot market fluctuates in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT