ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Mineo reported-

PIAA Champ & 2x finalist Louie Gill is transferring from Hickory to Reynolds. Hickory was recently bumped to AAA, he will remain in AA. Gill holds a 72-7 record after 2 seasons.

He was ruled eligible and nothing happens for the move. How doesn’t Greenville, Hickory etc do something about this? Reynolds has been picking through that area for 15 plus years. 5K open enrollment.

I was perusing Flo's rankings for this year. These are the national rankings, and I look to see how the PA kids are ranked and if I know them. Working my way up to 120, I saw that there were 5 PA wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in the nation at that weight class. The anomaly? Three of them are from Bishop McCort. That's three kids from the same team ranked in the top 20 in the nation at the same weight class.

Jeez, if I'm a JV wrestler on a team on McCort's schedule, I'd start sweating.

I was perusing Flo's rankings for this year. These are the national rankings, and I look to see how the PA kids are ranked and if I know them. Working my way up to 120, I saw that there were 5 PA wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in the nation at that weight class. The anomaly? Three of them are from Bishop McCort. That's three kids from the same team ranked in the top 20 in the nation at the same weight class.

The preps and a few privates a really propping up PA's numbers in the rankings the last few years. So may of the PA kids had no connection to the state until moving in for HS (or in a fee cases, in JH).

They are all great kids from my interactions and certainly deserve the accolades, but without them PA's dominance doesn't seem to be what it once was at the national HS level.

Maybe I am just more aware of it now, but it seems like the percentage of ranked "PA" kids who cut their teeth elsewhere has really shot up.

Reactions: Ski
I agree with this statement. It definitely seems like PA is attracting a lot more kids from other states. It has been going for for decades but recently lots moving to PA. Most of the out of staters going to Sem, Waynesburg, NDGP, Mcort, Faith, and Cedar Cliff. Most being approved to wrestle right away and beating our public school kids at Hershey.

Reactions: PaDistrict11

I think Jax's days at 120 are over and will be at 126. Sure will be interesting to see what they do with Herring and Bassett. I don't think either could go 113 could one? Jeesh they are loaded at the lightweights..

I think Jax's days at 120 are over and will be at 126. Sure will be interesting to see what they do with Herring and Bassett. I don't think either could go 113 could one? Jeesh they are loaded at the lightweights..
Tough light weights no doubt. Not a team in the country could hang down low. I think Gibson is back too, unless he goes to Cornell early. They have a younger HS kid (maybe a sophomore last year) who beat Perry at Powerade last year somewhere in the mix too. Can’t think of his name. I can’t imagine what those live goes look like in their Practices

I agree with this statement. It definitely seems like PA is attracting a lot more kids from other states. It has been going for for decades but recently lots moving to PA. Most of the out of staters going to Sem, Waynesburg, NDGP, Mcort, Faith, and Cedar Cliff. Most being approved to wrestle right away and beating our public school kids at Hershey.

That's so that they can get in-state tuition at Penn State.

Tough light weights no doubt. Not a team in the country could hang down low. I think Gibson is back too, unless he goes to Cornell early. They have a younger HS kid (maybe a sophomore last year) who beat Perry at Powerade last year somewhere in the mix too. Can’t think of his name. I can’t imagine what those live goes look like in their Practices
Was it Magro?

Reactions: jpsolo
I am confused- WNO is supposed to be the best kids in the country, yet three World champions aren’t invited(Lilledahl, Hopke, and Adams)
Then today they release a match between a Fargo runner up at 120 vs a 105 silver medalist. Am I the only one who thinks this match is crazy. Raney vs Castillo would be the right match.

I am confused- WNO is supposed to be the best kids in the country, yet three World champions aren’t invited(Lilledahl, Hopke, and Adams)
Then today they release a match between a Fargo runner up at 120 vs a 105 silver medalist. Am I the only one who thinks this match is crazy. Raney vs Castillo would be the right match.
Do we know for a fact they weren't invited?

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus and danoftw
There is so much exposure for these kids now there really aren't any "must do" events. Lilldahl and others have nothing to prove, and there are a lot of variables, like timing of weigh-ins, how big of a cut, travel schedules, etc.

Other threads have noted kids not wanting to risk rankings. That is probably an issue for some as well. Hell, there might even be a kid who'd rather go to the homecoming dance.

Last edited:
I'm still fixated on McCort having 3 nationally ranked kids at a weight class. BECA has 2 at another weight class, and I think Sem had 2 kids at a single weight class.

Wouldn't it be a treat if some of these nationally ranked kids went to an actual high school where they resided?
This is an embarrassment of riches. Why do high school teams need 2/3 nationally ranked kids at the same weight class? I remember one state championship where some wrestling publication predicted the winners before sectionals. They chose a Northern Allegheny kid at 112. But he might drop to 103. If he does, they chose Northern Allegheny's 2nd string 112 pounder to win. They were wrong. He came in second.

There was a time back in the day when the New York Yankees had all the money. They bought all the stars they needed. Just to give themselves some cushion, they used the Kansas City Athletics as essentially a farm team. They needed a quick fix? They'd bring someone over from the A's.

This can't really be healthy for the sport, can it? We're reaching a weird time in wrestling history. A few teams are acquiring all the individual champions for themselves. Team championships are becoming more and more meaningless. One or two super-teams may compete for the titles, but all the other teams can go pound sand. Makes a championship event kind of lose its luster.

Reactions: ChillW
I'm still fixated on McCort having 3 nationally ranked kids at a weight class. BECA has 2 at another weight class, and I think Sem had 2 kids at a single weight class.

Wouldn't it be a treat if some of these nationally ranked kids went to an actual high school where they resided?
This is an embarrassment of riches. Why do high school teams need 2/3 nationally ranked kids at the same weight class? I remember one state championship where some wrestling publication predicted the winners before sectionals. They chose a Northern Allegheny kid at 112. But he might drop to 103. If he does, they chose Northern Allegheny's 2nd string 112 pounder to win. They were wrong. He came in second.

There was a time back in the day when the New York Yankees had all the money. They bought all the stars they needed. Just to give themselves some cushion, they used the Kansas City Athletics as essentially a farm team. They needed a quick fix? They'd bring someone over from the A's.

This can't really be healthy for the sport, can it? We're reaching a weird time in wrestling history. A few teams are acquiring all the individual champions for themselves. Team championships are becoming more and more meaningless. One or two super-teams may compete for the titles, but all the other teams can go pound sand. Makes a championship event kind of lose its luster.
A lot of what you typed there can be applied to college wrestling. With Cael at the top.

If only we had a thread dedicated to this topic.

PIAA Champ & 2x finalist Louie Gill is transferring from Hickory to Reynolds. ..................

He was ruled eligible and nothing happens for the move. How doesn’t Greenville, Hickory etc do something about this? Reynolds has been picking through that area for 15 plus years. 5K open enrollment.

I heard that he would be ineligible for the post season this school year (22-23).
Did something change?

I guess we will see but as of yesterday he was eligible for post season. The sending school didn’t want to file a complaint. This is this nothing new for Reynolds. They been getting transfers for years. At least Gill isn’t from Ohio like of of their other recruits

If both schools signed off then he’s good to go for the regular season, he will need to appeal to the district for post season eligibility. Maybe this already happened but that is the process.

Speaking of the N Allegheny depth, I can remember back in the late 60's Commodore Perry (I believe it was them) had a defending state champ (I believe his name was Grinnell at 112) who couldn't even make the team the next year. Two teammates beat him out for 112 and 120 and both won state titles if my memory serves me correctly. They definitely won regional titles. That's before all of this school hopping. That's some depth!

Speaking of the N Allegheny depth, I can remember back in the late 60's Commodore Perry (I believe it was them) had a defending state champ (I believe his name was Grinnell at 112) who couldn't even make the team the next year. Two teammates beat him out for 112 and 120 and both won state titles if my memory serves me correctly. They definitely won regional titles. That's before all of this school hopping. That's some depth!
Two depth stories from my Alma mater. In the early ‘70s, Henry Callie won his wrestle off at 98 lbs to relegate freshman Bobby Weaver to exhibition matches. Callie went on to win D11 and regional titles before getting knocked out in state semifinals. The next season, Weaver returned the favor and beat Callie in wrestle offs, forcing Callie up to 105. Weaver, of course, won his first of three state titles while Callie lost the first ever all D11 state final to Jim Zenz (Saucon).

In 2002, there was a five way tournament in the room to determine the 103 pound starter (with senior and returning state 3rd Chad Sportelli up at 112, nobody was moving up).
Alex Krom - 4x state qualifier, school all time wins list, NCAA All American
Seth Ciasulli - 2x state finalist, NCAA Bloodround
Josh Oliver - state finalist
Andrew Goldstein - regional champ, state medalist, D3 All American
Brad Gentzle - D11 champ, NCAA qualifier

Thats four Division I guys (Maryland, Lehigh, West Virginia, Pitt) and a D3 All American. Luckily, they all spaced out as they grew and by 2005 this was 119-140 in the lineup. And depending on how you want to classify Ciasulli (whose family moved into the school district, but when Seth was in 4th grade) all actual Easton kids. Krom won the spot and then 40 matches and went to Hershey as a freshman. Oliver might have been the best 9th grader ever stuck wrestling junior high.

Reactions: mcpat and danoftw
Art Grinnell won at 103 in '66. He beat Junko of Trinity. In '65 I was at 103. I knew the SW Region champ was from Trinity, but hadn't seen him. I got on the elevator at the Nittany Lion Inn, and a Trinity wrestler stepped on. He was huge, way bigger than me! Then I saw the weight on his jacket. He was Trinity's 95 pounder. It was Junko. Trinity's 103 was Abajace, who make Junko look small. That was a rude awakening.
btw, in '67 Ed Osbourne won at 112 for Commodore Perry. And Junko won at 120.

Art Grinnell won at 103 in '66. He beat Junko of Trinity. In '65 I was at 103. I knew the SW Region champ was from Trinity, but hadn't seen him. I got on the elevator at the Nittany Lion Inn, and a Trinity wrestler stepped on. He was huge, way bigger than me! Then I saw the weight on his jacket. He was Trinity's 95 pounder. It was Junko. Trinity's 103 was Abajace, who make Junko look small. That was a rude awakening.
a great aspect of this board is the depth of knowledge and experience shared each day.

Thanks or the information. I thought it was Art Grinnell that won the state title one year and couldn't make his team the next year. Yes, I remember that Osbourne won the title the next year. But there was another Commodore Perry wrestler that beat out Grinnell as well (at either 103 or 120). Do you recall who that was? I remember Junko. I was at Rec Hall in 1967 when Junko beat Chief Logan's Charley Faust in the finals. Faust had a deadly cradle and pinned a large number of people with it. He was the better wrestler, but Junko "junked him" and stalled his way to the title. I was so disappointed for Faust. Junko went on to wrestle for Michigan and continued his junk wrestling style. Anyway, there were 2 Commodore Perry wrestlers at the regionals that were lightweights, both of whom beat out Grinnell. Osbourne was one of them. Do you remember the other one?

Thanks or the information. I thought it was Art Grinnell that won the state title one year and couldn't make his team the next year. Yes, I remember that Osbourne won the title the next year. But there was another Commodore Perry wrestler that beat out Grinnell as well (at either 103 or 120). Do you recall who that was? I remember Junko. I was at Rec Hall in 1967 when Junko beat Chief Logan's Charley Faust in the finals. Faust had a deadly cradle and pinned a large number of people with it. He was the better wrestler, but Junko "junked him" and stalled his way to the title. I was so disappointed for Faust. Junko went on to wrestle for Michigan and continued his junk wrestling style. Anyway, there were 2 Commodore Perry wrestlers at the regionals that were lightweights, both of whom beat out Grinnell. Osbourne was one of them. Do you remember the other after

I believe after OSBOURNE won he didnt make the team the next yr as he couldnt make that weight again and the 2 guys above him were really good and he couldnt beat them out!

Reactions: danoftw
Thanks or the information. I thought it was Art Grinnell that won the state title one year and couldn't make his team the next year. Yes, I remember that Osbourne won the title the next year. But there was another Commodore Perry wrestler that beat out Grinnell as well (at either 103 or 120). Do you recall who that was? I remember Junko. I was at Rec Hall in 1967 when Junko beat Chief Logan's Charley Faust in the finals. Faust had a deadly cradle and pinned a large number of people with it. He was the better wrestler, but Junko "junked him" and stalled his way to the title. I was so disappointed for Faust. Junko went on to wrestle for Michigan and continued his junk wrestling style. Anyway, there were 2 Commodore Perry wrestlers at the regionals that were lightweights, both of whom beat out Grinnell. Osbourne was one of them. Do you remember the other one?
Commodore Perry had just one state qualifier the years that Grinnell and Osbourne won. Don't have access to D10 records that long ago. Your guy must have lost at Regions.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT