PA Wrestling news

Psu9012

Sep 27, 2018
I know it has been all seniors but that doesn't mean that juniors would lose a season if they competed. They have scores of events in the off season that don't disqualify underclassmen from competing. And you did not address the private school question.

Piaa eligibility booklet - Google it, easier than me linking it. Article IX section 2 All-star contests, can also do a search of the document for "allstar". Not sure if this covers the PWC or not. I'll also let someone else interpret what that means exactly. But does mention a loss of 1 year of eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6

WexfordWarrior

Aug 30, 2017
Somewhere in the Carolinas.
Piaa eligibility booklet - Google it, easier than me linking it. Article IX section 2 All-star contests, can also do a search of the document for "allstar". Not sure if this covers the PWC or not. I'll also let someone else interpret what that means exactly. But does mention a loss of 1 year of eligibility.
Interesting read. So clearly the PWC is an all star contest. It says so on its media. But it is no more of an all star contest than events like Who's number among others. But underclassmen participate in those contests on a regular basis.

Section 2: All-star Contests are those Contests in which students participate as individuals and not as members of their school Teams, and (1) the Contests are advertised or promoted as allstar Contests, and/or (2) the students selected to participate are chosen based upon reputation of the athletes or recommendation and/or referral by other persons. Such all-star Contests are not viewed with favor by PIAA as they promote certain participants to the detriment of others and they tend to arbitrarily and subjectively reward students for performance, both of which are contrary to the objectives of cultivating good sportsmanship and preventing unfair competitive advantages to participants. Therefore, students participating in Contests which are advertised or promoted as all-star Contests and/or in which students are selected based upon reputation of the athletes and/or recommendation or referral by other persons are ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics in the involved sport(s)for a period of up to one year from the date of such participation.
Contests are not considered to be all-star Contests, and participation will not result in a loss of eligibility, if (1) the Contest is not advertised or promoted as an all-star Contest; (2) the Contest is open to all students or to all students in the same grade level or students are selected to participate based upon try-outs or a uniform standard of qualification (such as certified minimum times for a swimming or track event); and (3) students participating in such Contests do not represent their school in the Contests and do not wear any school-affiliated uniform and/or apparel in the Contest.
The bold part is particularly woke.
Section 1 relates to athletes competing in collegiate competitions but they give them a pass if: Students do not lose eligibility to participate in an interscholastic Inter-School Practice, Scrimmage, and/or Contest in a sport if they, on an individual basis and as a private citizen, enter and participate in an athletic competition which is open to all persons, including collegiate athletes. So Kolat to Midlands okay. Dapper Dan bad. Strange logic as wouldn't the athlete also be participating in the PWC as a private citizen and not wearing the uniform or representing their school?
The PIAA continues to amaze me but not in a good way.

Reactions: goldenanimal

Psu9012

Sep 27, 2018
Interesting read. So clearly the PWC is an all star contest. It says so on its media. But it is no more of an all star contest than events like Who's number among others. But underclassmen participate in those contests on a regular basis.

Section 2: All-star Contests are those Contests in which students participate as individuals and not as members of their school Teams, and (1) the Contests are advertised or promoted as allstar Contests, and/or (2) the students selected to participate are chosen based upon reputation of the athletes or recommendation and/or referral by other persons. Such all-star Contests are not viewed with favor by PIAA as they promote certain participants to the detriment of others and they tend to arbitrarily and subjectively reward students for performance, both of which are contrary to the objectives of cultivating good sportsmanship and preventing unfair competitive advantages to participants. Therefore, students participating in Contests which are advertised or promoted as all-star Contests and/or in which students are selected based upon reputation of the athletes and/or recommendation or referral by other persons are ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics in the involved sport(s)for a period of up to one year from the date of such participation.
Contests are not considered to be all-star Contests, and participation will not result in a loss of eligibility, if (1) the Contest is not advertised or promoted as an all-star Contest; (2) the Contest is open to all students or to all students in the same grade level or students are selected to participate based upon try-outs or a uniform standard of qualification (such as certified minimum times for a swimming or track event); and (3) students participating in such Contests do not represent their school in the Contests and do not wear any school-affiliated uniform and/or apparel in the Contest.
The bold part is particularly woke.
Section 1 relates to athletes competing in collegiate competitions but they give them a pass if: Students do not lose eligibility to participate in an interscholastic Inter-School Practice, Scrimmage, and/or Contest in a sport if they, on an individual basis and as a private citizen, enter and participate in an athletic competition which is open to all persons, including collegiate athletes. So Kolat to Midlands okay. Dapper Dan bad. Strange logic as wouldn't the athlete also be participating in the PWC as a private citizen and not wearing the uniform or representing their school?
The PIAA continues to amaze me but not in a good way.
I thought about Who's number one as well, but my guess is because its not labeled as an all-star event. Not sure how they get away with that one.

WexfordWarrior

Aug 30, 2017
Somewhere in the Carolinas.
I thought about Who's number one as well, but my guess is because its not labeled as an all-star event. Not sure how they get away with that one.
LOL. The criteria for choosing participants is totally subjective for WNO. According to PIAA : students selected based upon reputation of the athletes is a no no. At least the PWC considers accomplishment(placing high at states). So if PWC took All Star out of their media then it would be all good. Just kidding. I still think the NWCA only considers seniors at their discretion. Otherwise they would be inviting the private schools.

johnstownsteel

Aug 2, 2013
Johnstown Pa
Last edited:

oldcougar65

Mar 11, 2015
My theory-- PA JRs and SRs have already made their college commitments so they don't need to showcase their talents. It's the same pattern every year with the NHSCA tournies. No PA upper classmen go, but the lower classmen kick serious butt.
Two 9th graders from District 1 won, Gauge Botero(Faith Christian) at 120 and Collin Gaj (Qtown) at 132), who beat a Bouzakis in an all PA final.
Botero laid waste to his weight class, including a pin of Nazareth's Parkins.
Faith Christian Academy had two other Freshmen place winners. FCA may be challenging for a state title soon.

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
NDGP and Saucon Valley won’t come close soon. Faith academy wins a AA title next year. Wait until you see what they have in MS and from the talk, what is transferring in this summer.

johnstownsteel

Aug 2, 2013
Johnstown Pa
That’s a big time pickup for someone. He is very good. 2 years ago he lost to Tariq Wilson 5-1 and Cole Matthews 3-2 in OT. Assuming he can’t make 141 anymore and can’t beat Andonian at 149. Any thoughts on where he ends up?
Pittsburgh maybe. I know they have McMillen coming off redshirt at 149 though.

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
That’s a big time pickup for someone. He is very good. 2 years ago he lost to Tariq Wilson 5-1 and Cole Matthews 3-2 in OT. Assuming he can’t make 141 anymore and can’t beat Andonian at 149. Any thoughts on where he ends up?
Often transfers end up going to the other schools that recruited him.

Hillegas had visited Arizona State and Lehigh. Pitt and Cornell had visited him.

Cornell makes no sense -- he'd have to transfer again in 2 yrs. Sparky isn't much better -- he might not break the lineup at 141 or 149.

Lehigh and especially Pitt have opportunities at 149. 141 would be difficult at both.

Not listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at West Virginia -- it's close to home, and they need lineup help at both weights.

tpnlion

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2002

Hillegas had visited Arizona State and Lehigh. Pitt and Cornell had visited him.

Cornell makes no sense -- he'd have to transfer again in 2 yrs. Sparky isn't much better -- he might not break the lineup at 141 or 149.

Lehigh and especially Pitt have opportunities at 149. 141 would be difficult at both.

Not listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at West Virginia -- it's close to home, and they need lineup help at both weights.
And his high school coach is alumnus of WVU… good hypothesis

PAgeologist

Jan 8, 2017
Lilly, PA

I was thinking Clarion or Edinboro, but they probably offer less as far as coaching and training partners than WVU at this point. Sad how far those teams have fallen.

BigFella235

Aug 13, 2021
In Boro’s defense, the program got cut off at the knees when Tim Flynn left. They lost basically their whole staff and several key guys left the team via transfer as well. Couple that with Bruce Baumgartner stepping down from his AD role as well as the ineptitude from the administration at the university and you get what they’re currently putting out: an average team at best with some NQ level guys here and there.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Callthestall

Mar 14, 2016

Oddly enough I ran into Billy Sheridan(Lehigh Coach 41 years) son in a cemetery last week. He's 88 years old and wants me to put Lehigh logo on his Dad's stone. He was very sharp and disappointed that Santoro has not done much in the transfer portal. I asked if Lehigh academia was maybe some of the reason and he did think that was some of the problem.

Reactions: hlstone

JOESTROSSER

Oct 28, 2005
Neither did they, which is why they’re currently on HR doing backflips to convince everyone they were always Team Transfers and Slush Fund. It is something to behold.
Guys like Eirman and Desanto don't count, LOL. Penn STate transfers scored 24 points at nationals if you count Berge's 2. Iowa transfers scored 17.5. So we got 6.5 more points from transfers. We beat them by 57.5. So non transfers we beat them by 51. Obviously we won because of transfers LOL.

Last edited:

nitlion6

Mar 26, 2012
Guys like Eirman and Desanto don't count, LOL. Penn STate transfers scored 24 points at nationals if you count Berge's 2. Iowa transfers scored 17.5. So we got 6.5 more points from transfers. We beat them by 57.5. So non transfers we beat them by 51. Obviously we won because of transfers LOL.
Talking reality with the HR collective is rather difficult.

sevensandeights

Jan 21, 2017
Definitely not why he is leaving.

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
And we beat them last year without their transfers. They won by 16.5 - Desanto and Eierman saved their butts.

nitlion6

Mar 26, 2012
Penn State wins this year without transfers, but wins last year also.

82bordeaux

Nov 19, 2019
eriespecialty.com
Why is he leaving?
giphy.gif