ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Any D9 results??
Thanks in advance

PIAA State Duals brackets are set. From D9: AA Brookville is the only qualifier; AAA nobody (Wililamsport is the only qualifier from the combined D4/D9 AAA duals).

Also of note: Head Coach Quentin Wright got Tyrone into the AA bracket.

Changing of the guard in D4 Duals: Benton vs Montgomery in the finals. State powers Southern Columbia and Montoursville faced off in the consi quarters (with Montoursville eliminated).
I'm out State college in the clothes line store. I look out back El Jefes restaurant.
Any connection??

I wouldn’t rule it out. I don’t have any inside info here, I just think you’ll see fewer kids doing it going forward.
I guess I just have a hard time seeing anyone pass up the opportunity to be a 4x champ (if Brooks wins the next 2). I guess his hypothetical shot at #4 would interfere with a run at the Olympic team, so there may be some disincentive to stick with folkstyle

NIL could change everything so kids may look at staying longer. For instance what if Brooks takes a RS in 22-23 allowing Dean to drop to 184 and Beard to go at 197. Then returns to 184 in 23-24 after Dean grads?

I’m sure it won’t happen, but Brooks could redshirt in 2023 and Olympic redshirt in 2024.

Most joking aside, Friday night had to be a pretty telling sign if PSU and Cornshuckers were indeed on his list. Definite advantage PSU!

AAA: finals Beca vs Nazareth, rematch of the D11 finals that Beca won. Nazareth-Waynesburg semis should be good.

AA: gut says NDGP but would have to look at brackets. AA seems more open. Several traditional powers did not qualify.
Ridge has curb stomped their competition this year with exception of Brookville. I really don't know how good the other teams are on their side.

I can't imagine anyone beating NDGP on their side of the bracket.

AAA: finals Beca vs Nazareth, rematch of the D11 finals that Beca won. Nazareth-Waynesburg semis should be good.

AA: gut says NDGP but would have to look at brackets. AA seems more open. Several traditional powers did not qualify.
AAA- Beca wins again. They added like 7-8 néw MS transfers. Redhawk is the new feeder club. Nazareth & Waynesburg are very good but only have a few transfers & wrestlers from other states each.
AA- cheap version of Becca, they take the scraps of D11 and who can’t start on Becca (other than Crookham and a few others)

The biggest story is going to be Faith Academy. A Charter school from d12. They added 15 nationally ranked wrestlers from grades 6-10. They are completely going unnoticed and will be spanking NDGP very soon.

Ridge has curb stomped their competition this year with exception of Brookville. I really don't know how good the other teams are on their side.

I can't imagine anyone beating NDGP on their side of the bracket.
Does Chestnut Ridge co-op with any schools? It seems like there are names on their roster now that were at other schools not long ago. If they co-op I understand.
Is there a real home grown program that doesn’t get kids moving and showing up in MS and HS? I understand once tradition is established kids show up but honestly, every team at state duals has transfers on them.

Any D9 results??
Thanks in advance
Clearfield was top AAA team in D9 this year and was undefeated before falling 25-34 to Williamsport. Note: Clearfield will be AA next year due to the new PIAA classifications.

In AA there seemed to be a gap between Brookville and the other D9 AA schools.

Also of note in NW PA......in D10 the returning (8-time and recent 5-time in a row) Team Duals State Champion, Reynolds, lost in the quarters and will not make the trip to Hershey for first time since 2004.

Reactions: kevin310
Does Chestnut Ridge co-op with any schools? It seems like there are names on their roster now that were at other schools not long ago. If they co-op I understand.
Is there a real home grown program that doesn’t get kids moving and showing up in MS and HS? I understand once tradition is established kids show up but honestly, every team at state duals has transfers on them.
No idea on transfers. I believe all the adjacent schools that had a wrestling program still have one, so i doubt they co op with another school.

A fair amount of people I went to school with have kids playing football. I just glanced at the wrestling roster and recognize a lot of last names there as well, mostly same as football roster minus the lightweights.

The Bedford area seems to be growing. It isn't a stretch to drive from the Ridge footprint to Bedford, so maybe families are moving in and working in Bedford.

No idea on transfers. I believe all the adjacent schools that had a wrestling program still have one, so i doubt they co op with another school.

A fair amount of people I went to school with have kids playing football. I just glanced at the wrestling roster and recognize a lot of last names there as well, mostly same as football roster minus the lightweights.

The Bedford area seems to be growing. It isn't a stretch to drive from the Ridge footprint to Bedford, so maybe families are moving in and working in Bedford.
Having lived in the school district and having children graduate from Ridge....and having a business in Bedford.....I can tell you that Ridge, Bedford and Claysburg have many kids with the same last names....and not unusual that some have the same first as well. A lot of the same last names spread out through all 3 districts....even into Northern Bedford as well. Many extended families in the area :).

Reactions: PAgeologist
Having lived in the school district and having children graduate from Ridge....and having a business in Bedford.....I can tell you that Ridge, Bedford and Claysburg have many kids with the same last names....and not unusual that some have the same first as well. A lot of the same last names spread out through all 3 districts....even into Northern Bedford as well. Many extended families in the area :).
If you don't mind asking, what business do you own in Bedford?

If my Benton boys make the finals, they will have earned it. They will need to go through Faith Christian, Brookville, and NDGP. I think they'd have done better to take second and go on the bottom side of the bracket.

Now is the time for Benton, so happy someone finally took our SCA. Montgomery definitely got the weaker side of the bracket.
This will be the last year Faith Academy loses in AA in a very long time, unless NDGP loads back up.
Reynolds is losing all their NEW wrestlers to Hickory and Burrell is finally down.

This is funny. I just found out Friday that the Weyant boy from Ridge is related to me. Lol

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
If my Benton boys make the finals, they will have earned it. They will need to go through Faith Christian, Brookville, and NDGP. I think they'd have done better to take second and go on the bottom side of the bracket.
Gotta love the PIAA pre-drawn brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT