ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

If Beard's lung is an issue, perhaps changing his attack rate by slowing it down a little in order to go full 3 periods? I can see Beard as another Anthony Cassar because both are athletic, fast, and skilled for a 97 pounder. If he can do that, then the lungs won't be an issue.
That’s not how this administration works. You either figure it out or some kid who is a former NCAA finalist from Cornell comes in and takes your spot.

Man nats is a meat grinder sheesh. When you start throwing names out it shows how hard it really is to be a champion
Yet, multiple times during the year there will be discussions about the field breaking just right, or it was an easy bracket, or weight.

Reactions: danoftw
Are they part of the ‘22 class and expected to sign during the early signing period?
Big prize in '22 is Jesse Mendez and he still has a Michigan visit. I heard the KJ hiring could be HUGE for them actually. The kid is very quiet on social media about his visits (no tweets or pictures of his PSU/Iowa visits, the Iowa one was a bit shocking because of how hype the weekend was overall there) but made it a point to tweet KJ a congratulations. Cael obviously still all in on him.

TJ Stewart is our other big target. He's 30 on Willie's big board but I think he's due for a bump since he's 12th on his PFP rankings (any class) Looking at it from the outside, PSU is easily the best wrestling option of his other finalists (UNC, VT, Maryland) but there obviously are other considerations. Have to imagine Cael can win this one if he pushes.

Kolby Franklin is the other big one. Willie said PSU is just his dream school.

Big prize in '22 is Jesse Mendez and he still has a Michigan visit. I heard the KJ hiring could be HUGE for them actually. The kid is very quiet on social media about his visits (no tweets or pictures of his PSU/Iowa visits, the Iowa one was a bit shocking because of how hype the weekend was overall there) but made it a point to tweet KJ a congratulations. Cael obviously still all in on him.

TJ Stewart is our other big target. He's 30 on Willie's big board but I think he's due for a bump since he's 12th on his PFP rankings (any class) Looking at it from the outside, PSU is easily the best wrestling option of his other finalists (UNC, VT, Maryland) but there obviously are other considerations. Have to imagine Cael can win this one if he pushes.

Kolby Franklin is the other big one. Willie said PSU is just his dream school.
I dont think Mendez was in Iowa on that weekend. I could be wrong though.

Edit. Now that I think of it I thought I saw a tweet somewhere about him and his dad being at game.

Last edited:
Are they part of the ‘22 class and expected to sign during the early signing period?
Feels like we're long overdue for some good news around here, as our last big news was just over 5 months ago back on May 20, and in between that watching everyone else load up and missing out on some transfers as well.

Feels like we're long overdue for some good news around here, as our last big news was just over 5 months ago back on May 20, and in between that watching everyone else load up and missing out on some transfers as well.
It's true that other programs are loading up, but Penn State is already loaded up, across all weights. We still have questions on the eventual starters at 149, 157 and 165, but even at those weights there is an enormous amount of great talent at Penn State now. We just have to see how it plays out on who the starter is. In addition, most of this talent is here for 3-4 years. Exceptional high school wrestlers looking at Penn State today are asking where would I crack the line-up and that would be an excellent question.

With our young our lineup is, I can see us with just a few this year ( like last year). Quality beats quantity, always.

It's true that other programs are loading up, but Penn State is already loaded up, across all weights. We still have questions on the eventual starters at 149, 157 and 165, but even at those weights there is an enormous amount of great talent at Penn State now. We just have to see how it plays out on who the starter is. In addition, most of this talent is here for 3-4 years. Exceptional high school wrestlers looking at Penn State today are asking where would I crack the line-up and that would be an excellent question.
Crazy to think the weights we have questions at, we have a number 1 and number 3 overall recruit at those weight classes. Those weights aren’t gonna be questions for long.

I think the smoke says Michigan.
The colors would say you're correct.
giphy.gif

Reactions: yekrut321
If Beard's lung is an issue, perhaps changing his attack rate by slowing it down a little in order to go full 3 periods? I can see Beard as another Anthony Cassar because both are athletic, fast, and skilled for a 97 pounder. If he can do that, then the lungs won't be an issue.

Your speculations and suggestions on improving Michael’s stamina crack me up. They are definitely entertaining.

Hey - look at that!

Levi Haines is 7 on Willie's senior big board.

If we get TJ Stewart (who's 10), we'll have 2 Top 10 Big Boarders! Thanks for coming through @smalls103

Reactions: Mcnulty7310
I dont think you get TJ
If you would've told me 7 months ago after going 4 for 4 on Saturday night that we'd only be getting 1 recruit this off season, and that it would also be the first time Cael wouldn't land a Top 10 PFP, I would have said you're f'n crazy.

The recruiting situation in this class has been more a numbers crunch than anything else. Especially with the added eligibility. Not that there aren’t elite 2022 kids they missed on, but that they were very selective. If you look in the past, the recruiting cycles have tended to be large and small in alternating years.

I dont think you get TJ
He’s another one that if a PSU fan says “its no biggie that we didn’t get him” , we are just being salty. Look, with what we have already from 174-197 and with Haines coming in as well, is missing out on him that big of a deal? PSU not being a big player recruiting right now is a good thing. The next four years will prove it.

The recruiting situation in this class has been more a numbers crunch than anything else. Especially with the added eligibility. Not that there aren’t elite 2022 kids they missed on, but that they were very selective. If you look in the past, the recruiting cycles have tended to be large and small in alternating years.
And Iowa always seems to have a big recruiting cycle on PSUs and to some extents OK States off years. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Lol

Ohio
Mendez to Ohio State...

Guess those rumors of a Mendez/Bouzakis package ended up coming to fruition!
Ohio State has recruited some really good kids this year and the past few years. Should be a formidable opponent in the coming years. Should make for an interesting rivalry again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT