ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Not that Cruz wouldnt still come, but how hard are we gonna keep after him with Steen coming in?

If we consider 125 sealed up for 4 years, what is the next priority? Im talking weights, not specific guys.
Maybe Cruz really wants to come to PSU?

Also, just my $.02, with the young talent this team has, everyone getting a free year, and Facundo and Van Ness in the pipeline, I don’t see any weight that is a huge need.

Question I have is how Cael would work Bouzakis into a lineup with RoHo, BoBar, and Van Ness. Hoping we’re faced with that dilemma 😄

Interesting development.

PA AA 220 state champ last year. Was pursued by a number of D1 programs including PSU, but chose Lycoming due to prior relationship with the coaches.

Also, just my $.02, with the young talent this team has, everyone getting a free year, and Facundo and Van Ness in the pipeline, I don’t see any weight that is a huge need.

Question I have is how Cael would work Bouzakis into a lineup with RoHo, BoBar, and Van Ness. Hoping we’re faced with that dilemma 😄

If Bouzakis came to PSU I think the idea would be to have 125-Steen, 133-Robbie Howard, 141-Beau Bartlett, 149-Nick Bouzakis, 157-Shayne VanNess. 149-157 could be switched depending on growth but I think most feel like SVN has the frame to grow into 157. If one of them can grow into 157 that bottom half of the lineup is so good it’s scary. PSU had a run of 5 straight NC in the upper weights. I don’t see 5 NC here but I can see an AA at 125 followed by 4 straight NC! This doesn’t even account for Facundo and Kerk and depending on the year probably Starocci and Beard!

None. NO weights need planned starters until at least the 2023 class or possibly 2024. 100% Luxury Recruiting Mode.

Things might change if guys grow out of weights or with injuries, but today PSU is in tremendous position.

Biggest question right now is 157 post Berge -- with Boone and Lee waiting. Some question.

Having Steen might but doesn't necessarily stop a push for Cruz. Cael landed Snacks then Kerk. PSU has Starocci + Brooks, Facundo on the way, and is a finalist for both Rylan Rogers and Bennett Berge.

(Of course Cruz might end up a 133. The fun with weight projections ...)

tenor.gif
Is Bo Basset on the radar as well?

He's still in JR High. Everyone with a pulse is aware of him. That's enough for now.

Though every new video indicates that's not enough for the Bassetts.
I asked because if we don't get Cruz, then Steen is next in line. If not... Basset.

Selfishly, I want them all. ;-)

Jalen Stephens, Columbia commit, placed 3rd and 4th at AA HWT the last 2 years. Ranked top 20 nationally despite just now starting the year.

If he can't go, the only returning placer is Brookville's Nathan Taylor (220 4th last year).

Stephens apparently got cleared -- he's the top seed at SW AA Regionals.

Scratch Joey Cruz from the list.

"Joey has narrowed his school list two four programs. In alphabetical order, those are Iowa State, Little Rock, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State."

(Read the article anyway. It's about Cruz dealing with his father's recent passing.)

"Joey has narrowed his school list two four programs. In alphabetical order, those are Iowa State, Little Rock, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State."

(Read the article anyway. It's about Cruz dealing with his father's recent passing.)

Seems like an odd list for a highly regarded recruit, outside of OK St. I guess IA St and OK get some high level guys as well. Little Rock though?

Seems like an odd list for a highly regarded recruit, outside of OK St. I guess IA St and OK get some high level guys as well. Little Rock though?
Yeah, that seemed odd, but the linked article explains:

Joey likes the coaches and culture at each of these four programs. Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also appealing because Joey has some family in the area, but Joey doesn't have a strong preference in program at the moment.

Little Rock might seem like a surprising program to be in Joey's top four as they're just finishing their second year of competition, but Joey's connection to coach Chandler Rogers has been strong.

Rogers, like Joey, lost his father while he was still competing and has spent years processing his father's passing. As a result, he and Joey can relate in a way that few people can.

At this point, Joey plans to wait to make his college decision until after he can get on these campuses. He believes that it will be important for him to feel out each program in person before he knows where he fits best. For now, the NCAA recruiting dead period is scheduled to continue through May 31.

Yeah, that seemed odd, but the linked article explains:

Joey likes the coaches and culture at each of these four programs. Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also appealing because Joey has some family in the area, but Joey doesn't have a strong preference in program at the moment.

Little Rock might seem like a surprising program to be in Joey's top four as they're just finishing their second year of competition, but Joey's connection to coach Chandler Rogers has been strong.

Rogers, like Joey, lost his father while he was still competing and has spent years processing his father's passing. As a result, he and Joey can relate in a way that few people can.

At this point, Joey plans to wait to make his college decision until after he can get on these campuses. He believes that it will be important for him to feel out each program in person before he knows where he fits best. For now, the NCAA recruiting dead period is scheduled to continue through May 31.
Thanks. Guess I would have known that if I read the article. Almost everything Flo is behind the paywall, so I didn't bother trying.

Thanks Jefe. Any guess what changed to drop PSU off his list?

Thanks Jefe. Any guess what changed to drop PSU off his list?
Don't know. But it is surprising that none of his original list from a couple years ago (Fresno, PSU, Iowa, Ohio State) made the final cut -- well, except Fresno is obvious.

Everybody expected his list would expand when coaches could start calling him, but for none of those schools to make it ...

we need a near future 165 :)

Interesting list. He's transferring out of Lock Haven. True freshman, PA AAA 120 state champ last year.

Interesting list. He's transferring out of Lock Haven. True freshman, PA AAA 120 state champ last year.

From my hometown, hearing Purdue is the leader from my people back home that would know. But that's not in stone or anything.

Edit: just reached out to a couple people and Oklahoma is still in the mix too, a family friend's kid is on the oklahoma team as well in Zach Zeamer.

Last edited:
Thanks. Guess I would have known that if I read the article. Almost everything Flo is behind the paywall, so I didn't bother trying.

Yep. Interesting customer aquisition strategy. I use to visit flo frequently for access to a 'reasonable' amount of some pretty good content, before I formally subscribed.

I later subscribed for a few years to get access to the few duals they covered and less so tied to videos and rankings. I have since canceled. part due to Covid, part due to economics/value, part due to the loss of duals coverage, and part due to the unbelievably petty dispute with Willie just rubbed me the wrong way. They had internal only tunnel vision on that one and missed the bigger picture completely. I think Flo has become a bit arrogant IMO.

Now 90%+ of the online content is behind the paywall, so they have driven me away from the site completely, why bother even checking. I have a direct link to the podcast and listen to most of them. The tone has changed since Willie's departure, and not in good ways. In time they will probably tie the podcast to the subscription, and then they will have lost me completely.

The Williams twins from Manheim Twp better be on the radar. They just placed 3rd and 1st at Super Regions. They both chain wrestle smoothly, planting move upon move till one of them works. Strong, long, lean, wide shoulders. And they are 9th graders. The 113 pounder just beat last year's state champ and runner-up.
The only weakness I see in the 106 pounder is: I think he's pulling too much weight. He has to take long pauses in the middle of his bouts to regain his strength. Then he suddenly comes out firing all barrels and overwhelms his opponent till he has to pause again.

The Williams twins from Manheim Twp better be on the radar. They just placed 3rd and 1st at Super Regions. They both chain wrestle smoothly, planting move upon move till one of them works. Strong, long, lean, wide shoulders. And they are 9th graders. The 113 pounder just beat last year's state champ and runner-up.
The only weakness I see in the 106 pounder is: I think he's pulling too much weight. He has to take long pauses in the middle of his bouts to regain his strength. Then he suddenly comes out firing all barrels and overwhelms his opponent till he has to pause again.
Yeah, very impressive.

Had they been known for winning junior tournaments, etc., or just emerge this year?

Not uncommon for one twin to have a more difficult breathing. Of course not all twins are like that but it is common. My one twin daughter was a great athlete but had to take a breather. Had issues from when she was born.

Yeah, very impressive.

Had they been known for winning junior tournaments, etc., or just emerge this year?

Yes. They’ve been successful at the youth level and I’ve coached against them multiple times. The 113lber is the better wrestler, but both are tough. Very good kids off the mat too.

Yes. They’ve been successful at the youth level and I’ve coached against them multiple times. The 113lber is the better wrestler, but both are tough. Very good kids off the mat too.

But those names. Yeesh.

(I kid, I kid. But seriously).

ADVERTISEMENT