ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Very true. I was just being a smart ass. Forest Hilks would’ve had a very special group of homegrown talent without all the funny business that went on.
Lol BM IS THE FARTHEST THING FROM HOME GROWN!! Good yes, home grown far from it, 3 of the starters are from Jtown area they are all related, the rest nah ahh!!

What is going on with them and Faith academy. All the AAA in the St College aren’t happy if they get bumped up. With being in the state finals and Faith winning, don’t they get bumped regardless?
Bold prediction, neither Bassett or Forest wrestling anymore HS. Go to the Olympic training center or commit this summer. Go to that RTC. Them boys aren’t worried about winning state titles

Lol BM IS THE FARTHEST THING FROM HOME GROWN!! Good yes, home grown far from it, 3 of the starters are from Jtown area they are all related, the rest nah ahh!!

As far as I know Bassett, Gibson, Miller. Magro, Butler, McMullen, Butler and Spontak are all Forest Hills kids. That’s 7 SQ.

Sledzianowski FLA
Forrest NC
Herring TN
Rodriguez FL

I’m not a fan of these schools using their position to try and create a super team but it is what it is at this point.

This is confirmed, heard from a very close source last night Gibson is a scerlet knight. Best of luck to him. Seems like a nice kid, just stinks the way his HS played out after his quick start.

On a different front, the D4 chair Venna heard Faith Academy will be forced to AAA with 5 transfers and winning the last two titles. They have until the May meeting to appeal it. He also heard some AAA powers are coming into AA. Erie Prep is coming down and possibly a few WPIAl schools.

Prep has been confirmed as dropping to AA in the release regarding the new D10 regions. Team wise, they’re in a region with General McLane and Fort LeBoeuf among others. I’ve been told by several people that Prep and GM really don’t like each other. Seems to stem from their time at AAA. FLB should look drastically different this coming season. They’re losing an incredibly talented senior class.

What is the break down on success points for wrestling. If a team has so many they have to bump up like they do in football and basketball, unless you are Southern Columbia.

If Faith Christian moves up it will be by choice. They technically have zero transfers the past 2 years. Dekraker transferred in but I don't believe he was on the roster.
Takes more than 1 transfer anyway in 2 year cycle.

On quick check. New cycle these are the changes I noticed. Schools can opt up. CMVT the only one I know of that did. I haven’t seen the list yet.

AA
Dallas
Erie Prep
Bradford has opted up in past
Hickory
Bethlehem Catholic usually opts up

AAA
Springfield Twp
Greater Nanticoke
Eastern York
Kennard Dale
Middletown
West Perry
Athens
Columbia Montour VT opt up
Bellefonte
Belle Vernon
Blackhawk
Montour
Hampton
Hopewell
Albert Gallatin
Indiana
Cranberry
Bradford
Harborcreek
Salisbury
Blue Mountain
Jim Thorpe

Reactions: PAwrestling
This is confirmed, heard from a very close source last night Gibson is a scerlet knight. Best of luck to him. Seems like a nice kid, just stinks the way his HS played out after his quick start.

On a different front, the D4 chair Venna heard Faith Academy will be forced to AAA with 5 transfers and winning the last two titles. They have until the May meeting to appeal it. He also heard some AAA powers are coming into AA. Erie Prep is coming down and possibly a few WPIAl schools.
The second paragraph concerning FCA is very very bad information and 100% incorrect

Last edited:
Yeah the preliminary numbers have been out for a few months now. The teams voluntarily upgrading will be the only changes. There were zero teams in wrestling that met the qualifications for forced upgrades.

Faith and McCort may very well have opted up. The deadline for that has passed as well. CMVT appealed to go up to AAA and won.

The best schools I noticed dropping to AA are Erie Prep and Hickory.

The second paragraph is very very bad information and 100% incorrect
That's good info. We already knew to discount the club practice chatty dad rumor mill 93% but good to see it confirmed at 100% in this case.

Brock seems to be working his way through his first pass with this, but he seems like a good dude and they usually figure out that the JH dads who talk like they know it all generally know nothing in about 3 to 4 years, so he's almost there (probably a year and a half away from my reckoning)

Reactions: PAwrestling
Wonder why CMVT wanted to go up so bad?
Just a guess: it's easier to advance guys out of D4/9 AAA than D4 AA. Their D4 AA sectional is a bigger field than AAA districts, and probably a tougher event too -- and after that they'd still have to do AA districts.

Surprised other D4 teams don't volunteer for this.

However, the bump up is gonna stink for Athens, travel-wise. Not so bad in years where D4/9 is in Williamsport or Jersey Shore -- but Athens is a haul to the D9 schools when they host Districts, and to Altoona for NW Regionals. 3+ hrs each way, and Rt. 220 isn't exactly a treat in bad weather.

Last edited:
Kole Davidhesier announces he is moving to Hill School to finish his last 2 years of High School. Makes sense as he was not going to be able to wrestle his ideal weight with both Bachmann’s at Faith. IIRC he will be 20 as a senior so he would have been ineligible for PIAA which means it would have likely been necessary next year

Less teams in AAA NW. most weights aren’t as deep. Lot of weights are easier to get to Hershey there than AA NE.
Beat me to it.

Though once thru districts, I'm not sure it's easier to get thru regionals. AAA NW only gets 3 to Hershey, with Central Mountain, Mifflin County, and State College seemingly qualifying their entire teams. A little easier without Erie Prep, but then Bellefonte back in the mix usually gets some to states.

Meanwhile, NE AA gets 4 to states, and it's almost all D4 kids (D2 gets few kids thru each year). Not unheard of for the D4 6th placer to finish top 4 at regionals.

But yeah, if I'm Columbia Montour Vo-Tech -- not exactly a wrestling powerhouse ever, skipping sectionals + easier districts is an easy call. I'll take my chances with regionals after that.

Also just remembered: CMVT was AAA this past year. They're not bumping up so much as sticking to a past decision.

Beat me to it.

Though once thru districts, I'm not sure it's easier to get thru regionals. AAA NW only gets 3 to Hershey, with Central Mountain, Mifflin County, and State College seemingly qualifying their entire teams. A little easier without Erie Prep, but then Bellefonte back in the mix usually gets some to states.

Meanwhile, NE AA gets 4 to states, and it's almost all D4 kids (D2 gets few kids thru each year). Not unheard of for the D4 6th placer to finish top 4 at regionals.

But yeah, if I'm Columbia Montour Vo-Tech -- not exactly a wrestling powerhouse ever, skipping sectionals + easier districts is an easy call. I'll take my chances with regionals after that.

Also just remembered: CMVT was AAA this past year. They're not bumping up so much as sticking to a past decision.
Yes. There are definitely some really tough weights with taking 3. Probably more similar when that’s factored in. Still some guys with close to .500 records sneak through the NW AAA. I guess was more thinking if the depth and having to go through 2 tough tournaments (for D4) instead of 1 with 25 teams including D8.

Reactions: El-Jefe
That's good info. We already knew to discount the club practice chatty dad rumor mill 93% but good to see it confirmed at 100% in this case.

Brock seems to be working his way through his first pass with this, but he seems like a good dude and they usually figure out that the JH dads who talk like they know it all generally know nothing in about 3 to 4 years, so he's almost there (probably a year and a half away from my reckoning)
Cmon Diceman-
There is always some, not much, valuable knowledge at the local watering holes (dad circles at club practice)

I stated: Gibson to Rutgers, still think it’s going to happen by his interaction with Goody on Twitter. Erie prep bouncing down to aa. And Faith bumping up cause of winning two ships, and having transfers. I guess I look at anyone going into private schools as transfers, which isn’t the case. Plus it’s wishful thinking for the AA D4 schools.

There are def rumors of them bumping up on their own. Haven’t seen it confirmed. 2 years ago PIAA published the voluntary upgrades. Thought it was out by this time but haven’t seen it yet.

I can’t find that either. Faith would win AAA easy too. From the looks of it their teams the next few years are even better. The kid from Blair is a bluechipper and could be their best wrestler. I said it awhile back, they are the best PIAA team I ever witnessed. Someone said they had two kids on their bench that would have been top five on the podium.

I can’t find that either. Faith would win AAA easy too. From the looks of it their teams the next few years are even better. The kid from Blair is a bluechipper and could be their best wrestler. I said it awhile back, they are the best PIAA team I ever witnessed. Someone said they had two kids on their bench that would have been top five on the podium.
From FCA, their kid at 172 Adam Waters dominated the AA State tournament as a Freshman and again this year as a Sophomore.

Any speculation about his college plans? Is PSU looking?

Prob 4 would’ve placed somewhere. . Davidheiser and Waltenbaugh placed last year. Younger Singer would’ve placed. Shane Wagner would’ve placed. Then throw in Dekraker who wasn’t on the team, 3rd at National Preps.

Return 8 other 2024 state placers.
Add Freddy Bachmann

There’s only 13 weights…..

They might well win AAA. Easy? We'll see. They'll face a lot more resistance from the entire bracket, not just Beca and Nazareth. That 167 pts will come down considerably.

Reactions: District four
From FCA, their kid at 172 Adam Waters dominated the AA State tournament as a Freshman and again this year as a Sophomore.

Any speculation about his college plans? Is PSU looking?
Haven't heard anything. I'm sure PSU will dip a toe in the water.

I'm curious about his college weight. A FR 172 seems destined for 197/HWT -- but then he stayed at 172 this year. I suspect he'll be less appealing to PSU if he projects in the 174/184 range.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Wrestlingmind- you might have more on this.

I am stuck at work but the talk at Olympic trials is Faith’s wheels are coming off. Kids jumping off the boat left and right. Botero and Waters visiting Sem. Weidemoyer, Waltenbaugh and Davidheiser running for the Hills, going to the Hill school. My friend is sitting by a Faith, or former Faith person. Not sure what to believe.

Maybe Willie or Mineo might know.

Wrestlingmind- you might have more on this.

I am stuck at work but the talk at Olympic trials is Faith’s wheels are coming off. Kids jumping off the boat left and right. Botero and Waters visiting Sem. Weidemoyer, Waltenbaugh and Davidheiser running for the Hills, going to the Hill school. My friend is sitting by a Faith, or former Faith person. Not sure what to believe.

Maybe Willie or Mineo might know.
Weidmoyer and Davidheiser both announced they are going to Hill School. Could be to wrestle their optimal weight as the Faith room is crowded and no bad blood seems to exist between them and Faith based on their posts

Waltenbaugh has not posted anything but considering he didn't get to go this postseason I would not be surprised in the slightest to see him leave. Waters or Botero leaving would surprise me but Sem is so elite that I could understand why they make that move. Faith won't be as good next year it looks like but they are definitely still going to be elite

Thank you! I figured it was just a traffic jam. I don’t blame those studs for wanting to get in the mix. They are a great program and still will be tough with or without those guys. Thanks Wrestlingmind

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT