ADVERTISEMENT

PA States brackets and worthless predictions

AA 160 seeds:
1 – Thayne Lawrence, SW-1, Frazier, 21-0 – 2x state champ, defending champ, #4
2 – Andrew Cerniglia, SE-1, NDGP, 42-1 – state champ, #5

College commits: Lawrence (Lehigh), Cerniglia (Navy), Rothrock (Brown)
State Champ vs. State Champ! Cerniglia has been dominant against a tougher schedule (only loss by 1 pt to Gallagher). But Lawrence has also been very good, and has always found a way to win at states. The deciding factor might be Lawrence’s injuries – but he won states last year with 1 arm.
I've gone back-and-forth on this pick a lot.
Winner will get OW. Deservedly.

Prediction:
1 – Cerniglia
2 – Lawrence

The match-up is set.

160 Thayne Lawrence, Frazier, won by tech. fall over Gage Musser, Commodore Perry, 16-1 5:25
160 Andrew Cerniglia, Notre Dame-GP, maj. dec. Nolan Lear, Benton, 8-0

Reactions: danoftw
Gaige Garcia: 3 matches, 3 first-period pins.
Best high school athlete in the state or in the country?

Headed toward a 2nd state championship in wrestling (along with a 5th and a 3rd), and here is what he did on the football field:
RB — Gaige Garcia, Southern Columbia Area (Catawissa, Pa.), 5-10, 205, Sr.
Garcia finished his career as the state's all-time leading touchdown scorer and one of the state's all-time leading rushers. He rushed for a state record 138 touchdowns in his career and a state record 159 total touchdowns. His 8,246 career yards rushing rank seventh in state history. He ran for 1,960 yards on just 126 carries (15.6 average) and scored 35 total touchdowns.

Mighty impressive, though there might be some argument if Garcia is the best athlete at his high school -- Julian Fleming has been amazing, too.

Something must be in the water in Catawissa, PA?

I liked his style he looked aggressive at regionals. Just a freshman right
Yes.

Montoursville having a great tournament. In 2nd place, only 4 pts behind NDGP. Both teams have 5 wrestlers alive. Montoursville has 3 finalists (106, 182, 220), NDGP has 2 (126, 160).

Reactions: danoftw
Imo bad call on a takedown in sv in the flank/knisely match. Awful way to end match with state finals on the line.

Reactions: Wilco43
Imo bad call on a takedown in sv in the flank/knisely match. Awful way to end match with state finals on the line.
I didn't see it but that sucks if that's the case. Bad calls are always magnified when so much is on the line. But I went to Ridge and graduated with Kniselys mom so I was really hoping he would get that gold. Slightly off topic but I also graduated with Cassidy's (Bedford 138lb) mom.

Reactions: danoftw and Wilco43
I didn't see it but that sucks if that's the case. Bad calls are always magnified when so much is on the line. But I went to Ridge and graduated with Kniselys mom so I was really hoping he would get that gold. Slightly off topic but I also graduated with Cassidy's (Bedford 138lb) mom.

I went to ridge too. Teach their now. Feel bad for Duane great kid a real shame to lose on a real and I mean real shaky takedown.

It was an iffy call. The pulled headgear was not. He doesn't do that, he wins in regulation.
I couldn't see the headgear pull on the Facebook live feed I was watching. Was hoping to have two finalists to come see tomorrow.

Saw Gibson got beat. Did he get hurt? Sucks missing semis had to watch my niece in State playoff basketball

Not certain if anyone has posted ...but Deven Jackson of West Perry is wrestling for 3rd place tomorrow at 106 lbs in AA. Deven has no legs below the knee. His knee pads keep flying off and he keeps sliding backwards on those pads.....but he keeps winning. He wasn't ranked in the top 5 but he just defeated Evan Maag of Notre Dame 3-2 on a last second escape. To me.....unbelievable with no feet/legs for leverage. Most impressive. Damned inspiring

Yes.

Montoursville having a great tournament. In 2nd place, only 4 pts behind NDGP. Both teams have 5 wrestlers alive. Montoursville has 3 finalists (106, 182, 220), NDGP has 2 (126, 160).
Wow I didn't see that coming. Thought southern would have been in it

Both my stepsons went to Ridge as well as my kids for a couple years. That would have been around 1998-2002. Great school.....the wrestling team is better now :) Sucks the way Knisely lost......Burkett lost minutes later....:(. Lots of lightweights named Burkett at Ridge and Claysburg. Lots of Weyandts too :)

Reactions: PAgeologist
Both my stepsons went to Ridge as well as my kids for a couple years. That would have been around 1998-2002. Great school.....the wrestling team is better now :) Sucks the way Knisely lost......Burkett lost minutes later....:(. Lots of lightweights named Burkett at Ridge and Claysburg. Lots of Weyandts too :)
I know many Burketts and Weyandts. It's as common as Smith and Miller in those parts.

I remember wrestling a Burkett from Claysburg. Early 80s. Extremely tough.

How did Barnes from southern Columbia do at 152
Barnes is in the 3rd place match tomorrow vs. Duvall.

Southern is in 3rd. They had a number of early upset losses and looked dead in the water after Biscoe got bounced early, but they've stormed back in consis.

Current:
1 - NDGP, 98.0, 2 finalists, 3 in consis
2 - Montoursville, 90.0, 3, 2
3 - Southerm, 88.5, 1, 4
4 - Reynolds, 77.5, 2, 3

Reactions: royboy
Barnes is in the 3rd place match tomorrow vs. Duvall.

Southern is in 3rd. They had a number of early upset losses and looked dead in the water after Biscoe got bounced early, but they've stormed back in consis.

Current:
1 - NDGP, 98.0, 2 finalists, 3 in consis
2 - Montoursville, 90.0, 3, 2
3 - Southerm, 88.5, 1, 4
4 - Reynolds, 77.5, 2, 3
Thanks Jefe

Southern Columbia sends their best to Michigan and Ohio State. I'll pull for the other schools.
What a Grade A idiotic thing to say. As if the schools choose where the kids go to college. And as if the wrestling team should be rooted against for the choices of the football players. (Speaking of which, you forgot Wisconsin and Michigan State.)

PS, everybody in Catawissa wanted Fleming to go to PSU. And PSU did not offer Garcia in either sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Don't mess with the Claar's and Musselman's.

Reactions: Wilco43
Not certain if anyone has posted ...but Deven Jackson of West Perry is wrestling for 3rd place tomorrow at 106 lbs in AA. Deven has no legs below the knee. His knee pads keep flying off and he keeps sliding backwards on those pads.....but he keeps winning. He wasn't ranked in the top 5 but he just defeated Evan Maag of Notre Dame 3-2 on a last second escape. To me.....unbelievable with no feet/legs for leverage. Most impressive. Damned inspiring
Wow! Thanks for highlighting this kid Sportfan. I just watched his matches. He is tough and relentless in his attacks. I was thinking he couldn't possibly "push off and shoot" for a leg but he reaches with his hands and snags the ankles and finishes efficiently. He made the semis and will now get a medal. Good for him!!!

ADVERTISEMENT