ADVERTISEMENT

Ovechkin:. All stats, no rings, just like Marino

So Ovie scored his 600th goal last night. BFD! He is all stats, no Cups. Never even made it to a Stanley Cup Finals. He is just like Dan Marino, who never won a championship AT ANY LEVEL! Remember Pitt ranked #1 in 1981, undefeated, that is, until 48 -14 happened. At least Marino made it to 1 Super Bowl. This is where we are in 2018. Style is more important than substance, which is why we have wall to wall Kardashians coverage. In team sports, individual accomplishments get you on Sports Center. Posterize someone with a dunk, you get pub, forget who wins the game. What a screwed up world we live in! And by the way, GET OFF MY LAWN!
don't you talk about Dan like that!!

So Ovie scored his 600th goal last night. BFD! He is all stats, no Cups. Never even made it to a Stanley Cup Finals. He is just like Dan Marino, who never won a championship AT ANY LEVEL! Remember Pitt ranked #1 in 1981, undefeated, that is, until 48 -14 happened. At least Marino made it to 1 Super Bowl. This is where we are in 2018. Style is more important than substance, which is why we have wall to wall Kardashians coverage. In team sports, individual accomplishments get you on Sports Center. Posterize someone with a dunk, you get pub, forget who wins the game. What a screwed up world we live in! And by the way, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Have to step back and look at big picture of the Caps in the Ovie era. You could not possibly ask for one player to do more than what he has. The issue has largely been the construction of the roster around him and how that has meshed with a coaching system. It's been good and often times exceptionally good...but still missing something.

Boudreau wanted fire wagon hockey. Ovie complied. It failed. Try to balance it out and play more responsible? Ovie complied...but team couldn't get the goals when needed, or the D collapsed and it failed.

It just goes to show how freaking difficult it is to win a Cup. Of course, this all falls on Ovie, but the league being as biased as it tends to be against Euros, I think a lot of this is unfair because he's Russian and tends to shun the conventional model of an NHL talent.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT