Ovechkin:. All stats, no rings, just like Marino

Discussion in 'BWI / McAndrew Board' started by nittany dave, Mar 13, 2018.

1. nittany dave

nittany dave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So Ovie scored his 600th goal last night. BFD! He is all stats, no Cups. Never even made it to a Stanley Cup Finals. He is just like Dan Marino, who never won a championship AT ANY LEVEL! Remember Pitt ranked #1 in 1981, undefeated, that is, until 48 -14 happened. At least Marino made it to 1 Super Bowl. This is where we are in 2018. Style is more important than substance, which is why we have wall to wall Kardashians coverage. In team sports, individual accomplishments get you on Sports Center. Posterize someone with a dunk, you get pub, forget who wins the game. What a screwed up world we live in! And by the way, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Player2BNamedL8r likes this.
  2. Nitwit97

Nitwit97 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ha, ha, you are angry man. You forgot “i’m Gonna call the cops!!”

3. LafayetteBear

LafayetteBear Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't care. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. Dead solid lock.

4. WDLion

WDLion Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

Get off my lawn is sufficient. Just tired of a world where , in team sports, it seems like individual accomplishments are valued more than team accomplishments. This is directly the opposite of what JVP preached and taught, and what Coach Franklin teaches.

TheGLOV likes this.
  6. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

So you don't care about team accomplishments? You're a loser, just like Ovie.

7. AWS1022

AWS1022 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So if you care about team accomplishments, you should be praising Marino, not trashing him. The Dolphins did not put the pieces they needed in place to win a SB, choosing rather to ride Marino’s arm. They never got him a running game. Shula even admitted that he would go into every season planning to develop the running game, then he would end up going back to the cookie jar of Marino passing because he was so good that it made it easy. Then throw in then fact that Shula wouldn’t bring in a better D Cooordinator, and the organization wouldn’t spend the money to build a defense after Shula retired (thank you Wayne Huizenga) and Marino was stuck with a franchise that couldn’t win the big one. Put Marino on SF or Pittsburgh or Dallas and he would have won multiple Super Bowls. The only reason Miami was as good as they were was because of Marino...he took a .500 team and made them a perennial playoff team...that’s called greatness. Look what’s happened since he left...how many even average QB’s have they had? Sorry for the rant, but as a lifelong Dolphins fan I can tell you a lack of Super Bowl wins is not on Marino at all.

8. 78SweetRevenge

78SweetRevenge Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Also, Ovie is a LW. His job is to produce goals. He can't win a title on his own. He needs a supporting cast. He's in the same discussion as Jagr. He just never had the luxury of being on a team with Mario or even Francis. I'm not a huge fan of Ovechkin but he's a great player. People said the same stupid stuff about Kessel...if the right system Ovie wins a cup or two. The Caps still don't have the D core to win.

I'll never get the Marino hate. Both Marino and Elway were always elite. Elway just had storybook ending as Denver finally gave him the pieces that he always needed. A QB can't win alone. And a LW sure as hell can't win alone.

9. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

We disagree, but I understand your position, and respect your opinion as a loyal Dolphins fan. No need to apologize for expressing your opinion, I didn't consider what you said a rant. Thanks for your message. Take care.

AWS1022 likes this.
  10. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

I'm a Penn Stater; . I'm not supposed to like Marino. I respect Pitt players like Curtis Martin, who got in trouble for wanting to miss practice to attend class. It is well known Marino was doing coke during his senior year at Pitt. He also knocked up his mistress a few years ago. No love or respect for low-life Dan.

11. rmem

rmem Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a Dolphins fan. Your post is idiotic. Dan Marino would be my first choice of QB all-time, including Brady. You make it sound like Marino was anti-team. He was a guy that simply overachieved despite his teams' deficiencies. He was the best pure passer, ever. Is your pitt hate bleeding into this?

I'm not sure what is more idiotic, your first post or you. Sorry to be harsh, but you should have just kept that thought to yourself.

12. 78SweetRevenge

Expand Collapse

Who cares where he went to college or about him as a person. We're discussing him as an NFL QB. You don't have to like anyone but if you can't put the bias aside you can't discuss them objectively.

See AWS this is what I'm talking about...lol

13. rmem

rmem Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to judge NFL players by their habits, you can rule out a whole lot of great players. If you want to do that personally, fine. But the players were as good as they were, despite any moral template you want to apply to them.

You should restrict your time to being Catholic and admiring people that lived their lives honorably. Nothing wrong with that. Don't look for that among football players.

14. AWS1022

Expand Collapse

Believe me, no one was more upset when the Dolphins drafted Marino than I was...hell, they had just gone to the SB with Woodley. I didn’t think they needed him and I hated him because he was from Pitt. But he won me over very quickly as he would have won you over had he gone and started at QB for whatever pro team you follow. A QB that great wins all the fans over.

15. AWS1022

Expand Collapse

He’s right though, Penn State fans are supposed to hate Pitters (especially back then when it was a rivalry) and hatred will always cloud judgement. Of course it’s not just Penn State fans who downgrade Marino simply because he never won a SB, as if he singlehandedly could have won one if he was really that great. QB’s get too much blame when they don’t win a SB and too much credit when they do win one. An average QB can win a SB with a great team but a great QB cannot win a SB with an average team.

16. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

No rings.

17. Nitt1300

Nitt1300 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Did Marino ever win a really big game in college or in the NFL? I guess winning the AFC once has to count- anything else?

nittany dave likes this.
  18. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

I don't need to keep my thoughts to myself. Up yours.

19. wbcincy

wbcincy Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I played craps with him at Rivers once. He said "seven" out loud. Bastard.

nittany dave likes this.
  20. AWS1022

Expand Collapse

So if Barkley goes to the Browns, gets them to the playoffs almost every year for the next 15 years, but they never win a SB then he would be overrated I guess. No player can win a SB on their own. Marino never had a complete team around him yet they still won a ton of games and made the playoffs frequently.

21. AWS1022

Expand Collapse

A lot of players don’t have a ring. That doesn’t have squat to do with evaluating how good they were.

22. ThePennsyOracle

ThePennsyOracle Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

23. 78SweetRevenge

Expand Collapse

If you allow your hatred to impac how you evaluate someone that's problem. You don't have to like someone, see Baker Mayfield or Big Ben, to give them credit. Hating someone for the school they picked at 17/18 is simply pathetic.

24. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

Yo Mama's pathetic!

25. 78SweetRevenge

Expand Collapse

Special, aren't you?

26. Nitt1300

Nitt1300 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll take that as a "no"

27. nittanyfan333

nittanyfan333 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So why even have individual records and statistics, if they don't apparently matter? He!!, for that matter, let's do away with all individual sports like singles tennis, golf, boxing and anything but relay swimming. Most importantly, #26's penn state record 43 career rushing TDs DO NOT MATTER, neither does his career as a whole at Penn State. He was a bum who never led the team to a MNC.

28. rmem

rmem Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to, but you should. Idiot.

29. Columbus_Lion

Columbus_Lion Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great teams win championships and not all the great players are fortunate enough to play with other great players. Edmonton had plenty of success without Wayne. Crosby needs Malkin and Fleury/Murray. Even Brady can't do it himself.

Nitwit97 likes this.
  30. Player2BNamedL8r

Player2BNamedL8r Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good post. Keep in mind Elway (greatest QB I’ve ever seen IMO) didn’t win until well past his prime and after he had the right pieces in place (ahem...defense). There have been many great players who never won championships. Ovie is a great player...just never should’ve been given the “C”.

Fox Chapel Lion II likes this.
  31. LionHoya

LionHoya Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, etc., etc. Winning a championship is a great validation, but it is not the be all, end all, of a great player. Ovie is without a question a great player, and I'm sure if you asked him, he'd gladly give away 100 career goals for a Stanley Cup title. Really don't understand crapping on him for reaching a monumental career achievement that few players in history have ever achieved.

Fox Chapel Lion II likes this.
  32. Alphalion75

Alphalion75 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Marino was such a prolific passer he was his own worse enemy. Coaches never built a running game around him. Thus was a major reason he doesn't have a ring.

33. Lion8286

Lion8286 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Some wise advice to nutty dave:

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

ThePennsyOracle likes this.
  34. nittany dave

Expand Collapse

Yo Mama called. She said she wished she never had you.

35. PearlSUJam

PearlSUJam Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Drop the Mic sir.

36. throw2oj

throw2oj Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Remember when this was what was said about Peyton manning, and then he won a couple of Super Bowls?

37. Fox Chapel Lion II

Fox Chapel Lion II Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I hate the Crapitals and can't stand Ovechkin. But of course that's because I'm a Penguins fan.

When I put my common sense hat on, a blind man can see that he goes directly into the inner circle of the greatest players ever. Maybe the best winger ever as a power play scorer. Never in his career has he scored fewer than 30 goals and AVERAGES 45. 100 game winners in his career. And remember he's only 32 years old - lots of good years left.

Alex Ovechkin wakes up every morning and pisses excellence. It ain't his fault that he has a dope for a head coach and a spaghetti colander in net and a whole bunch of teammates who get tight sphincters in the clutch. Not to mention a pinhead for an owner.

Saying you have to win to be great . . .that's nuts. Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Ernie Banks, Carl Yastrzemski, Rod Carew, Robin Roberts, Willie McCovey, Dan Fouts, Pavel Bure and a zillion others. Did they all suck? Right - all the way to the Hall of Fame.

38. PearlSUJam

PearlSUJam Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Goals get the chicks and money, assists win cups. His assists don't compare to the greats either because he was never paired with talent, or just because he loves chicks and money.

39. ThePennsyOracle

ThePennsyOracle Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

40. LoyalandTrueLion

LoyalandTrueLion Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought Marino won the big one when he slammed the PA on the CBS set? Knocked up bitches and secret families are cray cray