ADVERTISEMENT

Outback Bowl

Why do people think players are opting out? I would think if anything a better bowl than expected against an SEC foe would have more players playing not less.
Because in this world, that is what players do. It isn’t about the team anymore. For the top players, the team is a stepping stone to the NFL.

Reactions: therod
Because in this world, that is what players do. It isn’t about the team anymore. For the top players, the team is a stepping stone to the NFL.
I think this is a an overly broad generalization. I think some of the guys who came back this year (e.g. Dotson) when they clearly could have gone to the draft, showed that they care about the team more than themselves.

Not to begrudge any athlete's decision. Everyone has to do what they think is best for them. But college athletics are special and suiting up one more time, next to your brothers, in the blue and white matters to some guys.

Why do people think players are opting out? I would think if anything a better bowl than expected against an SEC foe would have more players playing not less.
No idea on the marginal kids. If your Dotson u don’t even take your cleats to Florida.

rumor has it Brooks is going to opt out.

Reactions: bison13
Would bet it would be in the 80’s when we played bama regularly.

Would be surprised if the answer was anything other than "never". In 1982 we lost to Bama before beating Georgia in the bowl game. I don't see any other bowl game wins against SEC teams until 1991 season (beating Tennessee) but we stopped playing Bama in 1990. I don't think we ever played much of any other teams from the SEC in the regular season.

We did beat two current SEC teams (though not at the time) in the 1959 season with Missouri in the regular season and Alabama in the bowl game.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Would bet it would be in the 80’s when we played bama regularly.
I'm thinking never. '78 we best KY then we all know what happened in '79 Sugar Bowl. Next up was '82 and we lost to Bama that year on the way to beating GA for the NC.

Reactions: Mufasa94
It is truly amazing that pitt won the acc, finished at 12, and we crapped the bed, finished out of the money at 7-5 (technically EIGTH in the b1g)... and WE ARE playing on NYD and pitt is playing on the 30th (hell, not even ny eve). Hey, no love for the spitters and thrilled for our guys but sheesh, this is flat out wrong.

But if it helps recruiting... go for it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It is truly amazing that pitt won the acc, finished at 12, and we crapped the bed, finished out of the money at 7-5 (technically EIGTH in the b1g)... and WE ARE playing on NYD and pitt is playing on the 30th (hell, not even ny eve). Hey, no love for the spitters and thrilled for our guys but sheesh, this is flat out wrong.

It's great. Pitt can go to the nether regions.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and PSU2UNC
I'm thinking never. '78 we best KY then we all know what happened in '79 Sugar Bowl. Next up was '82 and we lost to Bama that year on the way to beating GA for the NC.
Agree with thought. There was another UK/Bama bowl split in the ‘70s. Didn’t play an SEC team before LSU in ‘73.

Eh, New Years vs. pre-New Years doesn't mean what it used to mean.

The playoff games are almost always played before New Years Day, for example. In the CFP era, the calendar doesn't quite mean the same.

We definitely got a better bowl game on the basis of our name/fanbase rather than our record, that's for sure. We complain all the time about OSU's name or ND's name, but we also reap brand benefits.

Good luck in the Outback bowl!

BTW IF we happen to beat WVU in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, do we burn sofa's, or do WVU fans. Asking for myself and other aspiring hockey fans...

I went all the way back to the 60’s…played 2 in a season a few times…never beat two.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT