ADVERTISEMENT

Outback Bowl

This line of thinking is what is wrong with bowl games and why they generally suck and are no longer watched the way they used to be. Penn State is 7-5 and had what should be considered a disappointing season. Yet the football team should be rewarded by playing in a big bowl game because Penn State has a large fanbase? Let Purdue play in a bigger game. Does their fanbase not deserve it? Who knows.... maybe if the Purdues of the world got to play in a bigger bowl game every now and then their fanbase may respond and grow a little. Better yet, if Penn State has to play a bowl game in Birmingham in December maybe they will take it as an insult and play a little better next year. 7-5 teams belong in crappy bowl games.
Puck Furdue and their fans. 😘

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Baloney. They were right there in every game. Go tell them to their faces that they didn't put out the effort.
Was this horseshoes?

5 games were lost. OLine dominated in all games and both lines dominated in about half. Could not even establish a mediocre run game against Villanova. Basically bullied by most teams in schedule. Would you disagree?

Effort was there but simply not tough enough…not even close.

Most certainly need major changes to improve. But incompetent leadership has signed the program up for many more years of the same.

Sad.

I agree with your point other than Iowa and Ohio State. We were not about to boat race Iowa. Iowa was adjusting and generally outplaying us prior to the Clifford injury and were within a score before his absence impacted the game. The game comes down to the fourth quarter regardless and that favors Iowa. We were not a threat to Ohio State in the second half. At no point were we actually in the game.

Yep, Iowa was ready to pounce when Clifford got hurt. Forget the fact that we played with virtually no offense for the last 2-1/2 quarters AND that Iowa played on our half of the field the entire second half AND that it still took Iowa deep into the 4th quarter to finally take the lead, you're right, they were outplaying us when Clifford got hurt in the 2nd quarter. Another excellent take, Breen. 🙄

Was this horseshoes?

5 games were lost. OLine dominated in all games and both lines dominated in about half. Could not even establish a mediocre run game against Villanova. Basically bullied by most teams in schedule. Would you disagree?

Effort was there but simply not tough enough…not even close.

Most certainly need major changes to improve. But incompetent leadership has signed the program up for many more years of the same.

Sad.
That is my concern. Not sure Franklin knows how or wants to instill toughness into the program. The brutal facts are that we are soft, soft, soft. If Franklin does not recognize this and does not actively work on solving then we will see more and more of this bad movie.

Reactions: toneleone819
Yep, Iowa was ready to pounce when Clifford got hurt. Forget the fact that we played with virtually no offense for the last 2-1/2 quarters AND that Iowa played on our half of the field the entire second half AND that it still took Iowa deep into the 4th quarter to finally take the lead, you're right, they were outplaying us when Clifford got hurt in the 2nd quarter. Another excellent take, Breen. 🙄
lol you hit it right on the head

we were on our way to routing that fraud of a team

Update from the source:

Networks don't want us in Vegas at that time slot. Probably for reasons why some of you have mentioned as the reason you won't watch it. Again, take it for what it is worth.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I wonder how much power does the Vegas bowl have to just not care what the networks want?

for the Vegas bowl if Wisconsin is indeed outback bound they have the next selection and I can’t see them choosing minny or Purdue over us just because the networks don’t want psu at 10:30

Vegas bowl would be killing any national hype for their game by going from UCLA vs penn state to UCLA vs Minnesota .

I know a lot of people think we suck etc but more people nationally will stay up for our game than the gophers. Due to name value alone . And we travel better .

Reactions: psu00
Another board has gone on record to say Penn State to the Outback Bowl to face an SEC Team. Way out kicked the coverage if this is true.
Doubt it. Coaches screwed up several games. I feel for the players!

I wonder how much power does the Vegas bowl have to just not care what the networks want?

for the Vegas bowl if Wisconsin is indeed outback bound they have the next selection and I can’t see them choosing minny or Purdue over us just because the networks don’t want psu at 10:30

Vegas bowl would be killing any national hype for their game by going from UCLA vs penn state to UCLA vs Minnesota .

I know a lot of people think we suck etc but more people nationally will stay up for our game than the gophers. Due to name value alone . And we travel better .
Networks would have a lot of say, IMO. The tv contracts are huge and for lessor bowls are just about their main income. Piss them off and...... ******

Won't the game be played at 10:30 EST if Purdue is selected? Is a 9:30 CST kickoff for Wisconsin significantly different? I mean, we're talking viewership numbers, right?

Doubt it. Coaches screwed up several games. I feel for the players!
Players screwed up in many cases as well. Sorry, players don’t just get a pass. Win as a team (coaches and players), lose as a team (coaches and players). I feel for the fact that players got hurt which significantly impacted season, and for us fans having to watch some of the poor performances.

Reactions: psu00
Looks like my original post is picking up a lot of steam. Outback vs Arkansas.
I hope not. Would rather see Vegas vs UCLA. It’s Las Vegas with a new interesting opponent and would get Penn St some West coast exposure.

(Maybe even open up some contacts for future PAC OOC games?)

Last edited:
Reactions: rohrmd9
This line of thinking is what is wrong with bowl games and why they generally suck and are no longer watched the way they used to be. Penn State is 7-5 and had what should be considered a disappointing season. Yet the football team should be rewarded by playing in a big bowl game because Penn State has a large fanbase? Let Purdue play in a bigger game. Does their fanbase not deserve it? Who knows.... maybe if the Purdues of the world got to play in a bigger bowl game every now and then their fanbase may respond and grow a little. Better yet, if Penn State has to play a bowl game in Birmingham in December maybe they will take it as an insult and play a little better next year. 7-5 teams belong in crappy bowl games.
Bowl games aren’t about who deserves it and who doesn’t. It’s a business deal. The sponsor and networks don’t give a damn about Purdue getting hurt feelings and it’s not their responsibility to grow Purdue’s fanbase. The sponsor of the bowl and the networks want teams that are going to bring the fans and the ratings which equal $$. Several years ago Florida State leapfrogged everyone to play in the gator bowl when technically they had no business there. The reason was it was Bowden’s final game and it brought fans and ratings.

Bowl games aren’t about who deserves it and who doesn’t. It’s a business deal. The sponsor and networks don’t give a damn about Purdue getting hurt feelings and it’s not their responsibility to grow Purdue’s fanbase. The sponsor of the bowl and the networks want teams that are going to bring the fans and the ratings which equal $$. Several years ago Florida State leapfrogged everyone to play in the gator bowl when technically they had no business there. The reason was it was Bowden’s final game and it brought fans and ratings.
An even better one. Back in his golden years the Bear got to pick not only the bowl he wanted to play in, but also his opponent.

Wonder if all the people that called me an idiot will recant? I may be an idiot but I nailed this one.

I would never dream of calling you an idiot because your comments here are anything but idiotic. However, I did say in post #24 in this thread that though I would love to be wrong, it was hard to see us going to the Outback.

Now that it looks like that may well happen, I'm delighted to have been wrong and delighted that a New Year's Day bowl sends the message it would prefer 5-loss Penn State over a number of Big Suck teams with better records.

Beating an SEC team on New Year's Day is a chance to end a bitterly disappointing season on an upbeat note. I hope we take advantage of the opportunity. But let's hope the Big Suck powers aren't frantically working the phones as we speak to keep their red-headed stepchild in his place.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
This thread sure put a lot of keyboard experts in their place with their predictions.

Reactions: BlueLion
This thread sure put a lot of keyboard experts in their place with their predictions.
Nah, it just showed people who follow mainstream media like Palm and who may actually have some inside information sometimes.

This thread is a microcosm of many posters left on this board. Dead wrong with their bowl predictions while bashing the team and coaches. Much like we will hear when the draft comes where every psu player will be trashed. Then when they get drafted higher than the board experts think they should, will trash their NFL potential. Then when they do well in the NFL, back to trashing the coaches and the cycle begins anew.

I am aware of all of that, but it does often result in crappy bowl matchups.

Sorry if already discussed but when was the last time (if ever) that PSU has beaten two SEC teams in one season? When was the last time any Big Ten team did that? Would be a nice win to end the year. I've watched a few Arkansas games this year -- they are solid but not a powerhouse.

Sorry if already discussed but when was the last time (if ever) that PSU has beaten two SEC teams in one season? When was the last time any Big Ten team did that? Would be a nice win to end the year. I've watched a few Arkansas games this year -- they are solid but not a powerhouse.
They have a solid running game and their QB is a big/physical player. If PSU has too many players opt out of the bowl, could be another loss.

Reactions: bison13
Would bet it would be in the 80’s when we played bama regularly.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
They have a solid running game and their QB is a big/physical player. If PSU has too many players opt out of the bowl, could be another loss.
Why do people think players are opting out? I would think if anything a better bowl than expected against an SEC foe would have more players playing not less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT