ADVERTISEMENT

Outback Bowl

At 8-4 I could have seen it, I’d be stunned if we go there at 7-5. Wisconsin and Iowa felt like locks for citrus and outback
First thought was bowls like us because we bring the fans; but then so do Iowa and Wisconsin. Hoping for Nashville, haven't visited in many years. NYC, too cold, I'm in FL. Been to 43 states, never Nevada and no interest in Las Vegas.

I like it. New year's day nooner on ESPN2. Saturday game, national TV with limited coverage on secondary ESPN channel. Just hope PSU does not draw TAMU as an opponent.

I like it. New year's day nooner on ESPN2. Saturday game, national TV with limited coverage on secondary ESPN channel. Just hope PSU does not draw TAMU as an opponent.

Penn State A & M would be awesome for me......got a good buddy that is 100% A & M down here and it would be a fun drink.

But like I said, I saw it on another board and the person said they had "sources".

Baloney. They were right there in every game. Go tell them to their faces that they didn't put out the effort.
Just putting the effort in doesn’t make them earn that spot. Sure they put in effort but the teams that beat them put in more effort…hence…they won the competition. I have a hard time accepting that PSU “deserves” the outback bowl more than teams above them.

IMO, it comes down to the committees doing the same thing that the CFP Committee does.....

Penn State plays in the East and beat Wiscy.
Penn State was about to boat race Iowa until Clifford went down.
Penn State beat SEC Auburn.
Penn State lost the closest to Ohio State
Penn State led pretty much every game.

Therefore, we know the record doesn't show it but we think Penn State is a better tam than some of the others with a better record.

If they use the eye test for the CFP then why can't they for the other bowls.

Highly doubt it. Heck, it probably isn't possible given Big Ten precedent. A lower tier bowl game is more likely than not. We finished 10th in the Big Ten (tied with Illinois but they won the head to head). Maryland is the only bowl eligible team below us.

IMO, it comes down to the committees doing the same thing that the CFP Committee does.....

Therefore, we know the record doesn't show it but we think Penn State is a better tam than some of the others with a better record.

I agree with your point other than Iowa and Ohio State. We were not about to boat race Iowa. Iowa was adjusting and generally outplaying us prior to the Clifford injury and were within a score before his absence impacted the game. The game comes down to the fourth quarter regardless and that favors Iowa. We were not a threat to Ohio State in the second half. At no point were we actually in the game.

Reactions: Texas Lion

What, in the past 30 years will lead you to believe that the BIG is gonna let PSU go to the higher bowl. You’re just getting your hopes up for something that has a snowballs chance in hell of happening. Better be prepared to choose from Nashville, Vegas, or NYC in December.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
We? The players busted their butts all year long. They deserve it.
Not when they take a higher profile bowl away from other players on opposing teams who busted their butts. Sparty players, Iowa players even Wisky players, yeah we beat them but they regrouped and had a much much better 2nd half of the season vs PSU. PSU deserves to go to a bowl but one not as good as the Outback.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
What, in the past 30 years will lead you to believe that the BIG is gonna let PSU go to the higher bowl. You’re just getting your hopes up for something that has a snowballs chance in hell of happening. Better be prepared to choose from Nashville, Vegas, or NYC in December.
I am ok with anything. It is one more day our family gets to get together, get drunk, eat good food, and scream at the tv. I was just passing along something I saw and had a good discussion about it.

I agree with your point other than Iowa and Ohio State. We were not about to boat race Iowa. Iowa was adjusting and generally outplaying us prior to the Clifford injury and were within a score before his absence impacted the game. The game comes down to the fourth quarter regardless and that favors Iowa. We were not a threat to Ohio State in the second half. At no point were we actually in the game.
Um, it was tied in the 3rd quarter. Your definition of "in it" seems to be different than mine.

Now that is a harsh take. Yeah, Iowa had scored so they were within 7pts but our offense had been clicking. I think it would have been close but I liked our chances.

We were in that O$U game. It's not like they won by 3 TDs. The scoop and score killed us but we were hanging with them despite that.

The last Outback Bowl I went to was the 5 interception S-show.

PSA - DO NOT tailgate for a noon game with Four Loco. I guess it's not possible anymore but don't do it!

Reactions: Texas Lion
Would love to be wrong, but I can't see the Outback Bowl happening.

Even though, granted, we're the best 5-loss team in college football.
Agree. There is a clear pecking order they follow with these bowls. They just don't throw that out and award a team like PSU a bid because of a lot of coulda, woulda, shoulda and because their fans show up big time. Would love to be wrong but have never seen it before.

Considering the likely number of players not participating, i'd be surprised the outback would want us and wonder just how competitive we could be against a team like TAMU (without the top players). Then again, whoever we play might have the same power outage, leveling the field.

Then again... all conjecture about who does or does not skip. Wait n see.

It's not going to be the Outback--regardless of what happens in the championship games. Las Vegas or Music City Bowls...

Las Vegas Review-Journal Article
So if Iowa beats Michigan...PSU is going to Vegas....because in that case Iowa goes to the Rose Bowl, OSU and Michigan will both be the NY6. If Michigan wins, Michigan and OSU will be in NY6 but does Sparty get in? I am assuming if Sparty does not get in NY6...we go to Pinstripe.

This line of thinking is what is wrong with bowl games and why they generally suck and are no longer watched the way they used to be. Penn State is 7-5 and had what should be considered a disappointing season. Yet the football team should be rewarded by playing in a big bowl game because Penn State has a large fanbase? Let Purdue play in a bigger game. Does their fanbase not deserve it? Who knows.... maybe if the Purdues of the world got to play in a bigger bowl game every now and then their fanbase may respond and grow a little. Better yet, if Penn State has to play a bowl game in Birmingham in December maybe they will take it as an insult and play a little better next year. 7-5 teams belong in crappy bowl games.

This line of thinking is what is wrong with bowl games and why they generally suck and are no longer watched the way they used to be. Penn State is 7-5 and had what should be considered a disappointing season. Yet the football team should be rewarded by playing in a big bowl game because Penn State has a large fanbase? Let Purdue play in a bigger game. Does their fanbase not deserve it? Who knows.... maybe if the Purdues of the world got to play in a bigger bowl game every now and then their fanbase may respond and grow a little. Better yet, if Penn State has to play a bowl game in Birmingham in December maybe they will take it as an insult and play a little better next year. 7-5 teams belong in crappy bowl games.
Can’t argue with any of that. I am just running with a rumor for discussion sake.

Reactions: psu00

I agree entirely with what you're saying. Purdue flat out deserves a shot at a better bowl game than us. Even Minnesota has a better record -- 8-4 overall with only 3 conference losses.

But this is the way of the CFB world, right or wrong.

Um, it was tied in the 3rd quarter. Your definition of "in it" seems to be different than mine.
This guy is a hater - I wouldn't hold much stock in his "opinions" - as for where we go, just follow the money this theory of where "we deserve to go" means nothing - the bowls are about money and will pick whoever meets the minimum criteria and will bring them the most money.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT