ADVERTISEMENT

Our record under James Franklin coming off of losses ...

I'd say Franklin's teams have dealt with adversity pretty well. Bouncing back after losing to Pitt and getting destroyed by Michigan to win 9 straight and the B1G title is a telling example. Covered in just about every game doing it and came from behind in a lot of them. This team has been plenty resilient.
Nope, doesn’t count! You see, the Vegas spread said that Penn State should have won by more points, so it’s like they never won at all.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Whats that...Playing mostly with Others recruits?

Yes, and more importantly playing with a junior and senior loaded team. You take over decimated program with no OL and you can expect the teams to not have the poise to bounce back after loses no matter who the coach is. The OP, otherwise know as, the dick, did not answer my other question on purpose. Yet Obrien's success came on the shoulders of JoePa's recruiting and experienced players in a basically unchanged system. That is a far cry from CJF has done. Michnitt would love to go back to the days of 6 and 7 wins.

Isn’t your record after a loss partly dependent on who you play? If you lose a game and your next game is with a team with a winning record, your record would tend to be lower than if you play a team with a losing record.

Reactions: We Are . . .
OK so 8-4 and 7-5 seasons are better than 11 win seasons because they beat the spread more after a loss. Got it. Makes perfect sense!

If you’re a degenerate gambler who only bets on the Nittany Lions to cover I guess this is true. Penn state has covered coming off a bye the last two seasons. With all this conflicting data I don’t know what to think.

I'm not mis-representing anything. The statistics are what they are:

2014: lose to Northwestern. lost to Michigan ATS the next game (2.5 dog).
2014: lose to Michigan. win vs Ohio State ATS next game (14 dog).
2014: lose to Ohio State. lost to Maryland ATS next game (3 favorite).
2014: lose to Maryland. push vs Indiana ATS next game (6 favorite).
2014: lose to Illinois. lost to MSU ATS next game (13 dog).
2015: lose to Temple. lost to Buffalo ATS next game (17 favorite).
2015: lose to Ohio State. lost to Maryland ATS next game (5.5 favorite).
2015: lose to Northwestern. lost to Michigan ATS next game (3.5 favorite).
2015: lose to Michigan. lost to MSU ATS (and the team flat out quit) next game (7.5 dog).
2016: lose to Pittsburgh. lost to Temple ATS next game (8.5 favorite).
2016: lose to Michigan. push vs Minnesota ATS next game (3 favorite).
2017: lose to Ohio State. lost to MSU ATS next game (9.5 favorite).
2017: lose to MSU. lost to Rutgers ATS next game (31 favorite).

That's 1-10-2 ATS, and 6-7 straight-up (despite being favored in 10 of the 13).

Clearly then, we should just forfeit.

That's mighty nice of you.

Opinions are like azzholes, everybody's got em.

If you and I agreed on everything one of us would be useless
(Hint: It wouldn't be me! :eek:;))
Except that Michnotalion has three or more of them, or is it "some"?

I know I've brought this up before: 1-10-2 ATS in regular-season games coming off a loss.

Hopefully we come out strong & fired-up on Saturday. It hasn't always happened when we are coming off of a loss and facing some adversity.

Why don't you bet the mortgage and take Indiana with the 14 points then?

Last edited:
MNL wasn't wrong. My only question is how much $$$ he won betting against PSU.

No I was not wrong.

To answer your question, I made $0. I don't bet PSU games, but I do "consult" with a couple of my friends and advised that I thought MSU was a strong play on the money-line.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Why don't bet the mortgage and take Indiana with the 14 points then?

I don't bet PSU games, but I would advise taking Indiana. Although Indiana is 0-7 themselves ATS coming off of a straight-up loss. So I guess one of those trends has to give here.

I think that record isn't an accident either. Indiana is 1-7 ATS in those spots all-time during the Tom Allen regime. Allen strikes me as somewhat similar to Franklin: a higher-energy coach but also a coach who may struggle to get "buy-in" from his players in times of adversity.

Anyway, I'm not betting PSU but instead spending my $$$ instead to fly in to see the game. Betting the horses at Keeneland Friday.

Last edited:
I don't bet PSU games, but I would advise taking Indiana. Although Indiana is 0-7 themselves ATS coming off of a straight-up loss. So I guess one of those trends has to give here.

I think that record isn't an accident either. Indiana is 1-7 ATS in those spots all-time during the Tom Allen regime. Allen strikes me as somewhat similar to Franklin: a higher-energy coach but also a coach who may struggle to get "buy-in" from his players in times of adversity.

Anyway, I'm not betting PSU but instead spending my $$$ instead to fly in to see the game. Betting the horses at Keeneland Friday.

Seabiscut in the 7th.

Bump --- this betting trend is active again this week. Franklin now 1-12-2 ATS in his career (and 0-2 in 2018) at PSU in regular-season games coming off of a loss.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
I'm not mis-representing anything. The statistics are what they are:

2014: lose to Northwestern. lost to Michigan ATS the next game (2.5 dog).
2014: lose to Michigan. win vs Ohio State ATS next game (14 dog).
2014: lose to Ohio State. lost to Maryland ATS next game (3 favorite).
2014: lose to Maryland. push vs Indiana ATS next game (6 favorite).
2014: lose to Illinois. lost to MSU ATS next game (13 dog).
2015: lose to Temple. lost to Buffalo ATS next game (17 favorite).
2015: lose to Ohio State. lost to Maryland ATS next game (5.5 favorite).
2015: lose to Northwestern. lost to Michigan ATS next game (3.5 favorite).
2015: lose to Michigan. lost to MSU ATS (and the team flat out quit) next game (7.5 dog).
2016: lose to Pittsburgh. lost to Temple ATS next game (8.5 favorite).
2016: lose to Michigan. push vs Minnesota ATS next game (3 favorite).
2017: lose to Ohio State. lost to MSU ATS next game (9.5 favorite).
2017: lose to MSU. lost to Rutgers ATS next game (31 favorite).

That's 1-10-2 ATS, and 6-7 straight-up (despite being favored in 10 of the 13).

Thanks for the information.
Too much invective from the juveniles, which adds nothing. Thanks again, I learned something.

I know I've brought this up before: 1-10-2 ATS in regular-season games coming off a loss.

Hopefully we come out strong & fired-up on Saturday. It hasn't always happened when we are coming off of a loss and facing some adversity.

I am glad that we true Penn Staters are playing a role in somehow fulfilling your otherwise lonely life....you're welcome, michnit...whatever we can do to keep you off the ledge...OR moving to Columbus...(personally, I choose the ledge....)

Wouldn't it mean that PSU should be on a rediculous losing streak? You know, since the very first loss of the Franklin era???

Unless you have gambling tidbits to share, I'd prefer that you beat it and scram. This thread is not for visiting folk to get into a food-fight with PSU fans. There are other threads for that. :)

Back to gambling: if you are a believer in this trend (as I am, I think this trend says something about CJF), bet Wisconsin +9 tomorrow.

I’ve had this discussion with friends. We can’t seem to recover from losses. The last two years are perfect examples. No way we should lose to MSU either year. We were a great team up until OSU-Q4. Now we are just blah. ...and that is about leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT