ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YouTube TV in State College

ThePennsyOracle

Oct 9, 2015
The latest Hulu Live TV thread made me look to see if YouTube TV is available yet in State College/Bellefonte.

Indeed, it is available and according to YouTube TV's channel guide, all locals are included in addition to BTN/ESPNs.

Disclaimer: I haven't signed up for the trial or used the service yet.

Update:

Signed up for the free 14 day YTTV trial. I watched some of the Masters which had no noticeable picture quality difference over DirecTV (satellite), and then watched a Stanford/UCLA football game on ESPN Classic which looked awesome.

Overall, my initial feeling is that YTTV is the best total package in terms of interface, channels, etc. I'd still give the picture quality nod to FuboTV, but not by much. YTTV's DVR feature is unmatched.

YTTV just went to $50/month though - if you're cutting the cord to save money, are you then?

I cancelled my Cable, but still have to use Comcast for internet, ultimately opted to use their $10/month basic live TV streaming service through Roku, no BTN/ESPN. I'll have decisions to make come Fall but for now, it works.

YTTV just went to $50/month though - if you're cutting the cord to save money, are you then?

I cancelled my Cable, but still have to use Comcast for internet, ultimately opted to use their $10/month basic live TV streaming service through Roku, no BTN/ESPN. I'll have decisions to make come Fall but for now, it works.

If you plan to only use it for football season like me, yes, I'm saving a shit ton because there is no contract. I signed up now to test it out so I had my ducks in a row before September gets here.

I too have to use Comcast for internet. I have a "double play" that has a limited TV package (which I don't have hooked up, but it includes HBO) and 100mbps internet for $100/month. I could get a triple play with full TV for around the same price, but it would involve buying a new modem, paying for a truck roll, and a 2-year contract (which I don't want).

I have Youtube TV in the Harrisburg area and get all the locals and BTN. Good quality, price is reasonable but cord cutting is no money saver.

Yep. Saving money depends on one’s own situation. Getting rid of cable isn’t a panacea and people often end up paying more and not realizing it.

Additionally, youtubetv and other OTT offerings, if they offer DVR, do not allow commercial skipping. Money's not the only thing that matters. Commercials take up 15 minutes or so every hour.

If family watches just 20 hrs of commercial TV per month those commercials equal 5 hours of wasted time.

It depends how one values time. 20 total hours collectively for a family is awfully conservative.

But for most cable plans vs totally streamed plans, I think getting the commercial time back to your life is worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT