ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Your Top 5 YouTube Channels

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Since I'm pretty bored, I'm curious as to what your favorite YouTube channels are. So here are mine in no particular order:

Peter Santenello - this guy travels around the country and does awesome interviews with some unique people and situations. Peter is very neutral and unbiased and he does a great job with the questions. He's exposed me to stuff I normally would never see. And I get a better understanding and respect for people and situations I was previously unfamiliar with.

Ghost Town Living - an entrepreneur bought a ghost town a couple years ago in California and he moved out there by himself. He documents his undertakings, projects, and day to day life. He does a lot of exploring and adds some personal reflection. Pretty cool stuff and his videos are very well done.

Hobo Shoestring - a hobo for over 30 years started filming himself and his journeys. He's pretty much a loner, but it's cool to see how he lives and hear his stories. Age is catching up with him in recent years and he has to do things he never thought he'd do. Lots of cool scenery and places that he camps at.

Fascinating Horror - short 10 minute retellings of actual events that occurred in history all over the world that were catastrophic in nature. Fires, accidents, anything disaster related. Very factual.

Disaster Compilations - using real amateur clips, videos of tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, landslides, tsunamis and the like from all over the world are put together in one video. Some very interesting stuff of some very recent events.

Just FYI, I think it's best to watch Hobo and Ghost Town from oldest video to newest.

Film Theory - guy has an annoying voice, but the graphics are great and the work is well researched.

WiseCrack - Philosophy meets pop culture. Great deep dives into all things pop and cinema.

Gordon Ramsay - He's the best chef in the world. Just watching a few of his videos will give you a great foundation for cooking

HowToBBQRight - My favorite smoker chef

wrestleguy77/Earl Smith(D1CW Vault) - So many matches to watch.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Just outside my top 5

The Vile Eye - Deep Dive Breakdowns on all the best villains of cinema.

ThatDudeCanCook - ROSEMARY SALT! IF YOU KNOW YOU KNOW!

CineFix - Film Rankings from the hoity toity.

Screen Junkies - Honest Trailers is one the greatest bits on YouTube. I miss Movie Fights.

Reactions: PASLP2
I like sailing channels are there are several I watch at least semi-regularly.

SV Delos - Has gone from a party on the sea to a family sailing over the years. Has sailed every ocean and visited many many countries. They like to interact with locals to give a nice feel of where they are. The ultimate show of a cruising lifestyle. They also dive in some amazing spots including with sharks.

La Vagabonde - Riley and Elena from Australia. Like Delos, they have added a child and just recently a 2nd. Don't follow as closely as I used to, but their production is good. Riley does a lot of free diving and spear fishing. Less interaction with the locals, but beautiful locales. Recently have spent a lot of time in the Bahamas.

Sailing Doodles - Entertainment with lots of bikinis on women crew. Bobby is the constant and he beings on different crew from time to time. Always visiting in sunny places and changes boats on occasion. Currently in the Mediterranean.

MJ Sailing - Young couple from Michigan who sold everything and bought a boat (now in their 30s?). Not as exciting a couple or as good of a production (but not bad). They're very relatable. They sold their last boat and are currently doing custom building a catamaran. Lots of boat building footage the last 6 months or so.
There are many others out there.

There are many others... Some are more sailing oriented. Others focused on the boat, maintenance, fixing stuff, etc. Most are focused on sunny places like the Caribbean, but others in Europe/Med, near England/Scotland, etc.

Also watch various wrestling channels, college football and a lot of misc. crap.

Oh, and lately, been watching a few vids on scammers, namely tech people trying to catch them.

Mark Rober is interesting. Former NASA employee who can build cool gadgets. Only does 1 video a month, but they are entertaining and creative. Leading a group to stop/bust scammers, porch pirates, etc.

Jim Browning, Trilogy Media and Scammer Payback are others working against scammers and call centers in India. The combination of Rober, Browning and Trilogy just got a whole call center in India shut down last week, with at least 15 people arrested.

Mark Felton
Paul Harrell
The Great War
Drachinifel
Zeno's Warbirds
Karens, car crash compilations, Idiot drivers, Pawn Stars, Darwin awards

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Inside guys NBA on TNT- Never gets old watching those four guys talk basketball and being funny.

RR building- Like watching how he builds post frame buildings and his attention to detail.

Idiot drivers and car crashes- Amazing how horrific and funny these can be. Will never understand how bad people drive or how they get a license.

Music reactors- Especially when they break down Eminem songs.

David Letterman and Team Coco- Watching interviews from the 80's,90's, and 2000's. Good stuff.

Great topic! I have very, um, ecclectic taste on youtube. Tough to pick just 5, but:

Smarter Every Day - Kinda like Mark Rober (they're pals), but a bit more emphasis on physics and engineering, a good dose of redneck know-how, and a heart of gold. Great for kids and adults alike.

Kris Harbour Natural Building - This is probably my favorite right now. This guy builds everything from scratch on his property in Wales--from hobbit-like buildings, to timber frame greenhouses, to cabinetry, to sawmills, to his own wind turbine and hydroelectric systems.

Liziqi - at nearly 17million subs, One of the more popular channels on the platform--in Mandarin, but there is almost no dialogue. Just really high production values on a (possibly Chines gvt-backed) channel that shows an idyllic simple agriarian chinese lifestyle--each video follows a simple indredient (say, persimmons), and the attracdtive star of the channel making all sorts of cool things w/ it.

SerpaDesign - A former art school guy in Pittsburgh who makes his own aquariums, terrariums, and other plant-heavy habitats. I find his work mezmerizing--maybe someday, I'll make my own.

De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina - 100% authentic "Mexican Grandma" cooking videos. My absolute favorite food.

Honorable Mention:

Primitive Technology - Another guy who makes all manner of things entirely by himself--even more extreme, in that he starts with nothing, makes his tools, then makes things w/ them--like kilns, huts, water wheels, etc.

Adam Ragusea - actually someone I went to High School with--but I really like his simple approach to cooking videos. Simple recipies heavy on best practice/methods, and science-informed cooking. Dude is making some real bank off his content too, the rascal....

Mark Rober - already mentioned. A dude that knows how to have fun by making cool things, and make money on his channel! Great to watch w/ the kids.

Nerfstate - The best Intellectual Property Questionable content on the internet. None of his videos are public, so you have to know a guy to see his stuff. But I have a feeling you guys would dig it.

Last edited:
Rate My Takeaway - During the height of Covid, this Jolly guy would go around England, sampling and rating takeout joints. This guy was cheering me up daily during a crappy time. I came to find out he had recently lost his wife. He's still going strong. https://www.youtube.com/c/RateMyTakeaway

Vito Iacopelli - Just another incredibly cheerful guy who happens to make great pizza and is good at conveying that knowledge.

coachstrout’s classic fights - Old boxing matches from the 80s

Bike the World - Great video of cycling routes (mostly famous climbs).

SteelBuck 6 - Classic College Football Games condensed (no huddle). Lots of great Penn State games.

Honorable Mention:
Thais - Yoga 요가 - Everybody loves Yoga. Well worth a visit.

Mine depend on the time of year, but usually consist of the following:

Junkyard Digs- dude from Iowa who revives old, derelict vehicles and explains how to troubleshoot each issue. Thankfully not an Iowa grad, he graduated from Iowa State and chose to continue his YouTube channel rather than take a job as an engineer. He makes some wild stuff run.

Seek One- hunting channel based in GA. The main guys hunt in suburban Atlanta and kill some monstrous deer. They’ve expanded their material in recent years to include turkey hunting and hunting as far north as Ohio.

Midwest Whitetail- similar deal to Seek One except based throughout Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. Crazy to see the difference in deer from there to the deer here in PA.

The Hunting Public- true blue hardcore hunters. They hunt literally everywhere and usually find success. If I remember right, the co-owner of THP (Aaron Warbritton) gained a lot of his knowledge when he was an intern with Midwest Whitetail.

Vice Grip Garage/Dylan McCool- similar concept to Junkyard Digs. All three are actually friends. McCool is a big Mopar guy, VGG does a little bit of everything. Both love things that go fast.

Honorable Mention:

Hoonigan- a crew of guys who love everything that goes fast. Their “This vs That” and “Hoonigan vs the World” series are killer. Lots of cars, trucks, and even a heavily modified side by side face off in a best 2 out of 3 drag race on an unprepped landing strip for nothing more than bragging rights. It’s wild to see the things people do with their vehicles mechanically.

In no particular order.

Mark Rober - The guy who did the glitter bomb, squirrel maze and other cool science things.
EposVox - The Stream Professor is his thing. Does a lot of techie nerd stuff with retro gaming, but has extensive videos on streaming technology.
Kitboga - This is one of the guys who scams the scam callers.
Seth Fowler - This is one of the main channels I watch to feed my newly found sneaker fondness.
Jaboody Dubs - Oldie, but a goodie. Parodies of the informercials from the late Billy Mays, etc.

As you might expect, I consume/subscribe to most of the legit wrestling channels out there. I don't give the pirated content and content thieves any views.

Im willing to bet that some of these are watched in hopes of a wardrobe malfunction. Such as that sweet little Yoga girl or the bikini sailors.

Reactions: TangSoo
I have over 5000 taped fights in my collection on VHS tapes. I miss the good ole days of boxing.
5000 is a big number! I'm envious. I recorded everything from about mid '86 when I got a VCR, (Rosario - Camacho was the 1st) until the mid 90s. I converted everything to DVD about 15 years ago, although I still have the tapes........I've seen every fight there is to see by this point. It's pure comfort food now. I'll watch fights from '79 thru '89. It's my time machine.

5000 is a big number! I'm envious. I recorded everything from about mid '86 when I got a VCR, (Rosario - Camacho was the 1st) until the mid 90s. I converted everything to DVD about 15 years ago, although I still have the tapes........I've seen every fight there is to see by this point. It's pure comfort food now. I'll watch fights from '79 thru '89. It's my time machine.

What's the biggest fight you've been to in person? Mine is Pacquiao - Marquez IV. Not from the 80s, but an awesome atmosphere and Manny was out cold!

What's the biggest fight you've been to in person? Mine is Pacquiao - Marquez IV. Not from the 80s, but an awesome atmosphere and Manny was out cold!
Yikes! That must have been stunning. That's a helluva memory...................Larry Holmes vs Renaldo Snipes in Pittsburgh. I must've been 13 or 14 at the time. But honestly, those Closed Circuit Superfights, hold the best memories for me. I went to Leonard - Hearns I at Jaffa Mosque in Altoona, and Leonard - Hagler at Seven Springs Resort. I attended those with my Dad.......Holmes - Cooney, I pitched a Pony League game and got the win, then rushed down to the Cambia County War Memorial to watch that. They used to have insanely good undercards on those Superfights. Great memories.

More than 5 as I threw in some bonus channels:

Task & Purpose
Mark Felton Productions
The History Guy
The Armchair Historian
History Matters
Simple History
The Rageaholic
Animated Stats
Historigraph
British Pathé
The Science Asylum

Im willing to bet that some of these are watched in hopes of a wardrobe malfunction. Such as that sweet little Yoga girl or the bikini sailors.
I’m pretty sure La Vagabonde, mentioned above, built 95% of their subscriber base on Elena running around in a thong in the early days. Flawless.

Several people have mentioned the scammer channels- trilogy, mark rober, Jim whatshisname, and others- sensational what they’re doing.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Mine depend on the time of year, but usually consist of the following:

Junkyard Digs- dude from Iowa who revives old, derelict vehicles and explains how to troubleshoot each issue. Thankfully not an Iowa grad, he graduated from Iowa State and chose to continue his YouTube channel rather than take a job as an engineer. He makes some wild stuff run.

Seek One- hunting channel based in GA. The main guys hunt in suburban Atlanta and kill some monstrous deer. They’ve expanded their material in recent years to include turkey hunting and hunting as far north as Ohio.

Midwest Whitetail- similar deal to Seek One except based throughout Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. Crazy to see the difference in deer from there to the deer here in PA.

The Hunting Public- true blue hardcore hunters. They hunt literally everywhere and usually find success. If I remember right, the co-owner of THP (Aaron Warbritton) gained a lot of his knowledge when he was an intern with Midwest Whitetail.

Vice Grip Garage/Dylan McCool- similar concept to Junkyard Digs. All three are actually friends. McCool is a big Mopar guy, VGG does a little bit of everything. Both love things that go fast.

Honorable Mention:

Hoonigan- a crew of guys who love everything that goes fast. Their “This vs That” and “Hoonigan vs the World” series are killer. Lots of cars, trucks, and even a heavily modified side by side face off in a best 2 out of 3 drag race on an unprepped landing strip for nothing more than bragging rights. It’s wild to see the things people do with their vehicles mechanically.

I agree, great hunting channels mentioned here! If you like run & gun spring gobbler hunting, check-out Pinhoti Project. Dave Owens is one of the best turkey hunters out there. If you like elk hunting, taka a look at Born and Raised Outdoors.

I know you said big fight live but I saw Ali/Foreman rope a dope on a giant screen in the Giant Center in Hershey Pa. Didn't make it to Africa lol but the largeness of the screen and the crowd made it feel almost real life. Was a awesome memory for me.

Thats awesome! I still have my collection but never converted them, sure wish i did. I stopped counting them when i was over 5000 and soon after just stopped because it just was not the same anymore for me. Rosario ruined Camacho.Haha.

Reactions: TangSoo

I have been to well over 25 fights live. Mainly me and the wife would go, but occasionally I went with friends too. I have seen so many greats in person and met some too. Saw Roy Jones multiple times, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Pernell Whitaker, Tyson, James Toney, Meldrick Taylor, Shane Mosley, Arturo Gatti, David Tua, Evander Holyfield, Cotto, Pazienza, Trinidad, and a bunch more i can not even remember. Somewhere I saved a bunch of my old ticket stubs. Those were amazing times being at all the fights live, seeing some stars and other fighters just wondering around.

Reactions: hlstone and TangSoo
My man was Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

Saw closed circuit Hagler V Hearns at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh with my dad. Place was packed for a CC fight.

Best fight ever and a good memory as dad is gone.

I always wanted to buy a signed boxing glove from MMH from his web site and never pulled the trigger. Now that he is gone, they almost go for 2 1/2 time what they were the day before he died.

2nd place fight was MMH and John the Beast Mugabi. All out wars were those fights.

I’m pretty sure La Vagabonde, mentioned above, built 95% of their subscriber base on Elena running around in a thong in the early days. Flawless.

Several people have mentioned the scammer channels- trilogy, mark rober, Jim whatshisname, and others- sensational what they’re doing.
Elena was definitely the top attraction. That part never hurts. But there is also something attractive to me (and obviously I'm not alone by the #s) to be able to live that freely and go place to place without the burdens of daily life as most of us know it. I'd love to buy a boat and cruise around from island to island, country to country, but don't have the stones to take that leap. And certainly don't have the skills to put together a quality production on a weekly basis. La Vagabonde has become more eco conscious, philosophical and preachy. Neither of the first two are bad without the 3rd. I don't find it as entertaining as I used to.

Reactions: KCLion and Str8DBLz
I have been to well over 25 fights live. Mainly me and the wife would go, but occasionally I went with friends too. I have seen so many greats in person and met some too. Saw Roy Jones multiple times, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Pernell Whitaker, Tyson, James Toney, Meldrick Taylor, Shane Mosley, Arturo Gatti, David Tua, Evander Holyfield, Cotto, Pazienza, Trinidad, and a bunch more i can not even remember. Somewhere I saved a bunch of my old ticket stubs. Those were amazing times being at all the fights live, seeing some stars and other fighters just wondering around.
That's an impressive list. With your username I keep wanting to ask how well you remember things after taking so many punches over the years. haha

I've only been to a handful of cards, and only the one in Vegas. Saw Deontay Wilder a few times, Shawn Porter early in his career, Jose Ramirez, Caleb Plant and a few other solid journeymen.

Crypto - Scott Melker and Layah Heilpern
Politics - Jimmy Dore and Tim Pool
PSU/Wrestling - BWI Daily, Stalemates and Basch
Baseball Coaching - Antonelli Baseball
General listen Lex Fridman and Rogan cut ups from PowerfulJRE

Reactions: Creek Side
I know you said big fight live but I saw Ali/Foreman rope a dope on a giant screen in the Giant Center in Hershey Pa. Didn't make it to Africa lol but the largeness of the screen and the crowd made it feel almost real life. Was a awesome memory for me.
You described that better than I could. Those closed circuit fights, with the huge screen and big crowd were electric.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I concur that Seek One is great for urban deer hunting.
Jomboy Media baseball stuff is hilarious. Has he been trained in lip reading?
Stumpy Nubs, Bourbon Moth and Steve Ramsey for woodworking. But, that's a short list from a plethora of choices.
Julie Nolke is dry and hilarious.
And, The Hoof GP. It's awesome when you can see the relief on a cow's face from having its hoof fixed.

I saw the first Ali-Frazier fight at the Hershey Arena (live video on a BIG screen), which I offer as my version of the best fight ever. I loved both fighters but Joe Frazier was my guy. Heck, my wife danced with him once.
Here were 2 of the all-time greatest heavyweights slugging it out. I still remember Joe sticking his face out and saying "Hit me", and then smiling after he was hit. It was weird because where my seats were, it was about 80% black, and the black fans were almost all for Ali and I'm this little white guy cheering for Smokin' Joe. It was great, with a lot of friendly insults.

Joe Frazier vs Muhammad Ali 1 was the greatest sporting event I ever witnessed.

channels I follow:
Mystery Science Theater 3000
The Moody Blues
Star Talk
The Shetlands (It's a group my daughter is in)
Jason Wang (folk rock - John Prine and others)

Last edited:
Some nice choices on here. I'll throw in a few of mine.
Chef Jean-Pierre He's been here since the 70's but he learned his craft in France, and his mother was Italian, and it shows in his love for those 2 great cuisines. If you want to learn real cooking skill while being entertained, I can't recommend this channel enough. You will laugh every time he burns his mouth.
Football Guys Do you play fantasy football? Do you like to dominate? Fantasy Focus and Fantasy Footballers are great, but these guys are my secret sauce.
History Time History is a crowded space on youtube, with many worthy channels, but this one is my favorite. Production value is through the roof.
Jim Can't Swim Criminal psychology. He has spawned a bunch of imitators, but his is still far and away the best. He breaks down interogation videos and it is fascinating. He needs your support too, youtube keeps effing with him and taking down his videos. If you throw a dollar at his patreon, you can see his epic takedowns of Jussie Smollet and Prince Andrew that youtube didn't like.
Ozzy Man Reviews Guaranteed boredom relief. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: backdrft76
Some nice choices on here. I'll throw in a few of mine.
Chef Jean-Pierre He's been here since the 70's but he learned his craft in France, and his mother was Italian, and it shows in his love for those 2 great cuisines. If you want to learn real cooking skill while being entertained, I can't recommend this channel enough. You will laugh every time he burns his mouth.
Football Guys Do you play fantasy football? Do you like to dominate? Fantasy Focus and Fantasy Footballers are great, but these guys are my secret sauce.
History Time History is a crowded space on youtube, with many worthy channels, but this one is my favorite. Production value is through the roof.
Jim Can't Swim Criminal psychology. He has spawned a bunch of imitators, but his is still far and away the best. He breaks down interogation videos and it is fascinating. He needs your support too, youtube keeps effing with him and taking down his videos. If you throw a dollar at his patreon, you can see his epic takedowns of Jussie Smollet and Prince Andrew that youtube didn't like.
Ozzy Man Reviews Guaranteed boredom relief. Enjoy!
Speaking of Fantasy Football, have there been any FFL leagues on this forum? I don't recall any (yes, I do know about the fantasy wrestling leagues). Could be some more fun. Anyone??

Film Theory - guy has an annoying voice, but the graphics are great and the work is well researched.

WiseCrack - Philosophy meets pop culture. Great deep dives into all things pop and cinema.

Gordon Ramsay - He's the best chef in the world. Just watching a few of his videos will give you a great foundation for cooking

HowToBBQRight - My favorite smoker chef

wrestleguy77/Earl Smith(D1CW Vault) - So many matches to watch.
lots of people are great cooks he certainly isnt the greatest but he is an outright idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
SerpaDesign - A former art school guy in Pittsburgh who makes his own aquariums, terrariums, and other plant-heavy habitats. I find his work mezmerizing--maybe someday, I'll make my own.

Didn’t think I’d see this here.

I dabble in that realm. Have a 75g, heavily planted high-tech tank and likely a 150-180g tank in the next couple of years.

Here are some other good accounts:

Aqua Design Amano - This company is the granddaddy of the planted aquarium movement.

George Farmer - British guy. Former Royal Army EOD tech who did several tours in Iraq/AFG, who builds high end planted tank setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerfstate

I dabble in that realm. Have a 75g, heavily planted high-tech tank and likely a 150-180g tank in the next couple of years.

Aqua Design Amano - This company is the granddaddy of the planted aquarium movement.

George Farmer - British guy. Former Royal ArmyEOD tech who did several tours in Iraq/AFG, who builds high end planted tank setups.
As Heinlein said, "Every cat his own rat."

Reactions: nittinsc

George Farmer - British guy. Former Royal Army EOD tech who did several tours in Iraq/AFG, who builds high end planted tank setups.
That Green Machine guy makes amazing scapes. I’ve determined that for myself, the high-tech approach is a good thing for retirement or something. SerpaDesign doesn’t ever seem to use CO2, and still has amazing results. But that Farmer guy is a legend.

Finally a topic I can participate and no one will call me stupid.

1. CW Lemoine - F16, F18, T38 pilot. Interesting to me because....aviation. plus insight into how the military works (I did not serve.)
2. Ward Carroll - Former F14 RIO.
3. SLB Bourbon Bar - whiskey reviews.
4. BWI (the ON3 guys) - self explanatory.
5. Music - blues, classic rock. Seem to always end up listening to Beth Hart - helluva a vocalist. Enjoy most blues I've found.

Finally a topic I can participate and no one will call me stupid.

1. CW Lemoine - F16, F18, T38 pilot. Interesting to me because....aviation. plus insight into how the military works (I did not serve.)
2. Ward Carroll - Former F14 RIO.
3. SLB Bourbon Bar - whiskey reviews.
4. BWI (the ON3 guys) - self explanatory.
5. Music - blues, classic rock. Seem to always end up listening to Beth Hart - helluva a vocalist. Enjoy most blues I've found.
Oh, number 5a - Battleship New Jersey - nerdy information on a battleship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT