ADVERTISEMENT

OT: York golf club owner calls cops on black female members for playing too slow

Although the management here seem to be asshats, there appears to be a lot of side issues (including politics) involved.
The NAACP lawyer tried to sue the city for $900K for racism for a client a few years ago until the case was tossed. I'm sure there are a lot of politics in play here.

The current statement posted by you is very similar to the club's statement as initially quoted in the article.

Are you kidding me?

The current statement strongly suggests that the group of ladies was at fault. Yesterday's statement was all about being sorry for their discomfort and how the club was reaching out to them. If you don't see the 180 going on here, you're blind.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I think racism is still a serious problem in this country. Only an idiot or someone with an obvious agenda would say otherwise.

I don't think every incident between people of different races involves racism.

Was this about race? I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Who was drinking? If you give me a list of the white folks who've had the cops called on them at this golf course, perhaps my perspective would change.
I really wish the cops had said, "F You. We have real crimes to work on."
Ziggy, lets wait until it is you, and see how quick you cry foul.
We have pretty much discerned that the reporting on this matter is very sketchy yet you have formed extraordinarily strong opinions. Good for you!

If you think that I have never been treated improperly by a PROPRIETOR of a business establishment (including a golf course, McDonald's, Starbuck's and, more importantly, dozens of pubs), then you are a walking, talking fool. I have always attributed these altercations to an anti-Polish sentiment at these joints but I just cannot get any traction with that since I'm a man and "Pollacks" are considered "white" (at least, by most people and the Census folks). LOL!!!!

I think the white privilege thing drives a huge wedge between the races. How do you think a person is going to react if they grew up with nothing and worked their arse off to make something of themselves is going to react if you tell them their success is due to white privilege?

It’s exactly like telling a successful minority they got where they are only because of affirmative action. Saying someone only got where they’re at because of affirmative action is racist. How is telling someone they are successful because of white privilege not racist? I’m proud to say I’m not racist because I dislike everyone equally.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Thanks for white-splaining the world
My grandfather was born in 1915 and left school after the 8th grade. It wasn't because of the Great Depression but rather because that's what people did in my area back then if they had no aspirations to higher education. He worked on his family's farm until he was married and could buy a farm of his own. Afterward he worked his own farm and also worked in coal mines. It was a seven day a week life working and raising his family. He worked his ass off but never became anything close to rich or famous. Never complained. I can guarantee he never heard of white privilege. He'd have had a good laugh if someone told him about all the tools he had in his invisible knapsack which allowed him to achieve the very modest life he earned for himself.

Reactions: bdgan
We have pretty much discerned that the reporting on this matter is very sketchy yet you have formed extraordinarily strong opinions. Good for you!

If you think that I have never been treated improperly by a PROPRIETOR of a business establishment (including a golf course, McDonald's, Starbuck's and, more importantly, dozens of pubs), then you are a walking, talking fool. I have always attributed these altercations to an anti-Polish sentiment at these joints but I just cannot get any traction with that since I'm a man and "Pollacks" are considered "white" (at least, by most people and the Census folks). LOL!!!!
I told you what would cause me to change my perspective. Serve it up. Until you do, it remains the case that these slow players waited over 20 minutes at the tee for the cops and nobody came forward to play through. If so, i guess they were playing pretty fast. So, why cops?

So, when you are treated badly, it is discrimination based on your heritage, but not them? Lol. Got it.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Are you kidding me?

The current statement strongly suggests that the group of ladies was at fault. Yesterday's statement was all about being sorry for their discomfort and how the club was reaching out to them. If you don't see the 180 going on here, you're blind.

You think that the first statement is 180 degrees from the second statement. Here they are.

Statement 1 “In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states,” JJ Chronister told the York Daily Record. “In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.”

Statement 2 "Grandview currently has 2,400 members. In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states. In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution."

I told you what would cause me to change my perspective. Serve it up. Until you do, it remains the case that these slow players waited over 20 minutes at the tee for the cops and nobody came forward to play through. If so, i guess they were playing pretty fast. So, why cops?

So, when you are treated badly, it is discrimination based on your heritage, but not them? Lol. Got it.
Deg - I like your contributions (for the most part, LOL) but you are the king of the "straw man" argument. I'm not going on a research mission for you. God Bless You!
Please answer me this question: Do you think the video and reporting (at this time in history) reflect the FULL story?

That’s his m.o. I remember when he was 100% taken in by Marilyn Moseby’s hysterics. Lol.

My grandfather was born in 1915 and left school after the 8th grade. It wasn't because of the Great Depression but rather because that's what people did in my area back then if they had no aspirations to higher education. He worked on his family's farm until he was married and could buy a farm of his own. Afterward he worked his own farm and also worked in coal mines. It was a seven day a week life working and raising his family. He worked his ass off but never became anything close to rich or famous. Never complained. I can guarantee he never heard of white privilege. He'd have had a good laugh if someone told him about all the tools he had in his invisible knapsack which allowed him to achieve the very modest life he earned for himself.
How silly of your grandfather, he should have just played his white privilege card. I wish I would have known about it before I spent thousands of dollars on student loans, spent hours and hours studying to get an education, worked until 2 in the morning and then got up for 8:00 classes to help pay for school, and then worked for less than minimum wage when I first got employed and tried to support my family. I wish I would have known about my white privilege card at the time...I could have sat around watching cartoons in my underwear every day and still reached the same level I’m at now.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Where are the golfers who say they were held up by the slow play of the 5 some?
A five-some is as rare as a black squirrel. A lady five-some is as rare as a white elephant. A black-lady five-some is a unicorn.

All are slow.

Most clubs I know of in the NE will allow 5 after labor day w/ the Pro's approval. I've done it before w/ no problems. Not ever in the middle of the season though. Same w/ here in FL. You'd get laughed out of the golf shop for suggesting it.

Ziggy, lets wait until it is you, and see how quick you cry foul.
Well, dem, let's take a trip into the "WAYBACK MACHINE". In the early '90s, I was working on a major construction project in the former Soviet Union. I was coming home on a Pan Am flight and was lucky enough to get bumped from Business to First class on the flight from Moscow to NYC. When I boarded, I turned left to get to the first class cabin. The (white male) flight attendant told 28 year old Ziggy: "this is the first class cabin" and he pointed to the rear of the plane. In my heart, I thought to myself: "what a dick" but I politely showed him my boarding pass and, after examining it to see if it was a fake, he allowed me to proceed to my seat.

I didn't think much of this until i arrived in NYC and got my hands on a newspaper. I learned that Charles Barkley had a similar experience at the same time on an airplane in the USA where he had a first class ticket and was pointed to the other area of the plane. Charles called racism and got a front page article in the USA Today. I ignored the ignoramus flight attendant, got hammered and took a nap in the front end of a 747 on my way home from a grueling business trip. I don't need to cry foul when minor annoyances occur in my life dem, you should stop crying foul when they happen 200 miles from your home.

Well, dem, let's take a trip into the "WAYBACK MACHINE". In the early '90s, I was working on a major construction project in the former Soviet Union. I was coming home on a Pan Am flight and was lucky enough to get bumped from Business to First class on the flight from Moscow to NYC. When I boarded, I turned left to get to the first class cabin. The (white male) flight attendant told 28 year old Ziggy: "this is the first class cabin" and he pointed to the rear of the plane. In my heart, I thought to myself: "what a dick" but I politely showed him my boarding pass and, after examining it to see if it was a fake, he allowed me to proceed to my seat.

I didn't think much of this until i arrived in NYC and got my hands on a newspaper. I learned that Charles Barkley had a similar experience at the same time on an airplane in the USA where he had a first class ticket and was pointed to the other area of the plane. Charles called racism and got a front page article in the USA Today. I ignored the ignoramus flight attendant, got hammered and took a nap in the front end of a 747 on my way home from a grueling business trip. I don't need to cry foul when minor annoyances occur in my life dem, you should stop crying foul when they happen 200 miles from your home.
Oh, youre a hero! Lol. What a painful experience! You must be very proud to remember it so well!

Reactions: massimoManca II
A five-some is as rare as a black squirrel. A lady five-some is as rare as a white elephant. A black-lady five-some is a unicorn.

All are slow.
So it should be easy to find the people whose fun was ruined by their sluggishness. Where are they?

In light of the Golf Course's most recent statement to Golf Digest, I have a couple of thoughts.

""Grandview currently has 2,400 members. In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states. In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution."

First, I see no real dispute from the Golf Course contradicting the women's statement that there was no one behind them. However, it is possible that the Golf Course is a real stickler about stopping slow play. If that is the case, there should be multiple instances of the Course, kicking off all sorts of people who are playing slow. (One of the really irritating aspects of playing golf are all of the rude, clueless dufusses who play slowly and know nothing about golf etiquette.)

Second, I would like to know how long it took them to play 9 holes. If, for instance, it took them 3 hours, then the golf course has a defensible position.

1. I don't know of any golf course that allows 5-somes.
  2. A conversation, initiated by the owner, should have been in order. The article doesn't address what happened before the police were called.
  3. Did a conversation happen or not? If there was a decent conversation and the 5-some refused, I've got no problem.
  4. If the owner just called the police because there was a 5-some then I agree, racism.
I can tell you I've golfed with a bunch of guys that would simply have hit balls into the group. To me, its golf, entertainment...enjoy yourself.
STOP!!!! The last thing we need is someone asking a real question and expecting a real answer. Sheeeeeesh.

BTW, whoever approved the 5-some is cooked. If they did it on their own, they can kiss their asses adios at that club.

btw, whenever i try hitting balls into the offending miscreants I'm typically quite not so good at it. But man oh man, I sure wish I were!

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, when my course is not as crowded, it’s not that unusual to see an occasional fivesome out in the course.

When it happens, it’s often a twosome catching up to a threesome and instead of playing thru, they join up. Or a single joining a foursome in mid-round.

As long as the players play “ready golf” and are aware of their pace of play, it’s not that big a deal.

Deg - I like your contributions (for the most part, LOL) but you are the king of the "straw man" argument. I'm not going on a research mission for you. God Bless You!
Please answer me this question: Do you think the video and reporting (at this time in history) reflect the FULL story?
No. Thats why i am still asking questions. But you told me that certain groups MAY be playing the race card. Where is your evidence for that? The Charles Barkley story?

I think the daughter in law gets what happened. She knows better than us what kind of a holes we are talking about. She knows you cant call the cops on your customers and grow your business. Who was drinking? How many other times have they called the cops for slow play? Where are the complaining golfers?

Is it true that 3 of the 5 dropped out after 9 holes? If so, why not let the other 2 finish?

When they called the cops, they changed the situation. THEY chose to do that and their own family member called them out for it. Gotta be a reason why.

They are the ones who called the police. Pretty easy to find.

LdN
So the Chronisters called the police? Because the daughter in law, JJ Chronister, said WE CALLED THE POLICE. The owners were playing the course right behind the women?

It says they refused to leave the course. So cops were called because they refused to leave not because they were to slow.
I don't see how this had anything to do with racism.

You think that the first statement is 180 degrees from the second statement. Here they are.

Statement 1 “In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states,” JJ Chronister told the York Daily Record. “In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.”

Statement 2 "Grandview currently has 2,400 members. In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states. In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution."

What you are calling statement 1 wasn't the first. The first statement was the one that I quoted by JJ Chronister, where she said she reached out to the players. As the original article stated, she later issued the statement that you called statement 1.

From the article:

JJ Chronister issued a second statement to the paper on Monday to explain why the police were even called in the first place, saying the group had violated their rules listed on the club’s scorecard.

“In the past players who have not followed the rules, specifically pace of play, have voluntarily left at our request as our scorecard states,” JJ Chronister told the York Daily Record. “In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.”

Are you kidding me?

They have the phone number of the men behind them as a witness. They said they would give said number to a local reporter. Then they back tracked. That smells funny.

That being said that situation racial /non racial was handled in a totally terrible manner

so he wasn't affected by Jim Crow laws. how did he manage that?

They have the phone number of the men behind them as a witness. They said they would give said number to a local reporter. Then they back tracked. That smells funny.

That being said that situation racial /non racial was handled in a totally terrible manner
Have you got a link? This stuff about the people behind them is interesting. Since @LionDeNittany says THEY are the ones who called the cops, you'd think the cops already know how to get in touch with them.

The women — who are all members at the golf club — were told they were not keeping the pace of play on just the second hole by former York County Commissioner Steve Chronister, who claimed to be the owner of the club. They claimed they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them, and talked with the golf pro at the course after Chronister confronted the group. They claimed the golf pro said they were fine.
Normally, it is an accepted courtesy at most courses that a slow foursome in front of a faster group would allow the faster group to play through. Allowing groups to play through is a normal thing. Not sure if this was offered by the slower group. If not, it should have been.

a couple more details:

- according to reports, the group playing behind the women never complained about the pace of play
- according to the scorecard, players can be asked to leave for not keeping up the pace of play, but the 2 remaining women were arguing that they WERE keeping up of the pace of play and therefore not in violation of the rules
- as the group of men confronted the 2 remaining women, one tells the owner to back off because "this is what she wants. This is what she does for a living."

ok boys, white-splain that last comment to me
This hole thing seems a little childish. Let the damned following group play through!

ADVERTISEMENT