ADVERTISEMENT

OT: York golf club owner calls cops on black female members for playing too slow

Five some once - on a course north of Indianapolis, and it was because I was flying solo and caught up to a foursome. Ranger came by and said it was OK, as we were moving along pretty well. But, we were not holding anyone up on our own.

I see that....most courses really try not to let "singles" out. Typically, they'll break it down into a 3 some and try to match the remaining 2 some with another 2 some. Its all a matter of course traffic and maximizing revenue. In my mind, if you are going to try and play a 5-some, you are under an obligation to ask if it is OK. Did that happen? IDK. If nobody is out there, I get it. But if it is a busy day, no stinking way.

when you are behind a five-some, waiting, you don't see people holding that five some up.

Regardless, ownership has the obligation to provide some level of communication and decency before play (allowing or disallowing a five some) and during play.

This is not racism ... unless slow playing golfers is a new race designation. Sounds simple to me ... people playing slow are warned and then upon continuation of slow play are asked to leave (as has been the precedent). This group of people decides they are above the rule and escalate things verbally. Club calls police to enforce their rules. I am perfectly ok with the club's reaction ... I am not ok with making this about women or race.

watch the videos.

You’ve used “white privilege” and “white-splained” in the same thread. If you had any credibility, you just lost it. Two of the dumbest made up terms ever used. Throw in a “man-splain” and you’ve hit the trifecta.

credibility with white racists? I'll pass

I see that....most courses really try not to let "singles" out. Typically, they'll break it down into a 3 some and try to match the remaining 2 some with another 2 some. Its all a matter of course traffic and maximizing revenue. In my mind, if you are going to try and play a 5-some, you are under an obligation to ask if it is OK. Did that happen? IDK. If nobody is out there, I get it. But if it is a busy day, no stinking way.

when you are behind a five-some, waiting, you don't see people holding that five some up.

Regardless, ownership has the obligation to provide some level of communication and decency before play (allowing or disallowing a five some) and during play.

And ownership has the obligation to not call the police for what really is a benign issue. If indeed the issue is pace of play.

With respect to singles - I go out as a single at my club - no issues. And I have gone out as a single on public courses before. In the case of the course in Indiana, I was there for some work event, and was able to get in 18 before catching my flight home - they were fine with it as they were not busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TenerHallTerror
You’ve used “white privilege” and “white-splained” in the same thread. If you had any credibility, you just lost it. Two of the dumbest made up terms ever used. Throw in a “man-splain” and you’ve hit the trifecta.
Thank you. Those buzz words were created to make some of us feel guilty about who we are. With NO due respect to Peggy McIntosh, I don't feel guilty about anything.

Reactions: dailybuck777
And ownership has the obligation to not call the police for what really is a benign issue. If indeed the issue is pace of play.

so here's what we know:

- they teed off almost an hour late due to frost
- they asked if a 5 some would be ok and were told YES
- these women are experienced golfers and members of the course
- they were approached by the FATHER of the owner on the 2nd hole and told they were not keeping up the pace of play
- they consulted with a course expert who told them their pace was fine
- they skipped the 3rd hole to get ahead of the group in front of them
- at the 9th hole, 3 of the women left because of how they were treated
- the remaining 2 were TIMED by the course owner and told they had to leave since they took "too long" a break, even though the group behind them had yet to tee off
- the police were called when they refused to leave, arguing their case that they were being singled out by golf course owners
- the police arrived, investigated, issued no citations
- a female co owner called the women to apologize

But ladies, how'd you skip the third hole if you were keeping pace through 2?

According to one article, the women started on the 10th hole and played the back nine in just under two hours. After a beer break, they returned to the course at hole #1.

so here's what we know:

- they were approached by the FATHER of the owner on the 2nd hole and told they were not keeping up the pace of play
- the remaining 2 were TIMED by the course owner and told they had to leave since they took "too long" a break, even though the group behind them had yet to tee off
- the police were called when they refused to leave, arguing their case that they were being singled out by golf course owners
Thanks for the clarifications. If those are all true, I have to side with the gals.

Having said that, I will walk off any course that puts a five some in front of me. Pure physics comes into play that there is no way a fivesome can play quickly enough if the foursomes in front are conforming to the rules of golf as well. Allowing a 5-some, to me, tells me it is a mismanaged cow pasture.

Racists never feel guilty about their racism. that's part of being a racist.
So then what you're saying is anyone who doesn't feel guilt and/or who doesn't admit to be a racist is therefore a racist. OTOH, there are others who admit to being racist. That means everyone is a racist. Interesting...

According to one article, the women started on the 10th hole and played the back nine in just under two hours. After a beer break, they returned to the course at hole #1.
I call BS. A fivesome played 9 holes in under two hours? Hard to believe. Rule of thumb is 15 minutes per hole for a foursome. That is 2 hours and fifteen minutes.

Reactions: Nitwit97
No, they were created to adequately define the manner in which some people speak in a condescending manner to others.
If "white" or "black" or "Asian" or whatever is attached to a term them it's automatically including everyone in that group - not just "some people".

Thanks for the clarifications. If those are all true, I have to side with the gals.

Having said that, I will walk off any course that puts a five some in front of me. Pure physics comes into play that there is no way a fivesome can play quickly enough if the foursomes in front are conforming to the rules of golf as well. Allowing a 5-some, to me, tells me it is a mismanaged cow pasture.

I post this with humor and love:

a couple more details:

- according to reports, the group playing behind the women never complained about the pace of play
- according to the scorecard, players can be asked to leave for not keeping up the pace of play, but the 2 remaining women were arguing that they WERE keeping up of the pace of play and therefore not in violation of the rules
- as the group of men confronted the 2 remaining women, one tells the owner to back off because "this is what she wants. This is what she does for a living."

ok boys, white-splain that last comment to me

Everything is racism. Whenever you want to play the race card, the media outlets are more than happy to oblige. I was turned away from using the Men's Room at a McDonalds by a Black Male employee because I did not have a receipt. Is the racism reversed, "No" But, let the tables be turned, and the "R Card" gets beaten to death! Do you think any media outlet would want to interview me and get my story? "Hell No" because it Does Not Fit Their Narrative. No one knows what really went on at this gold club, so don't immediately start the Racism Blame Game!

Hmmm ok I find that more than a little hard to believe. Sorry.
But more to the point of this " Is the racism reversed, "No" But, let the tables be turned, and the "R Card" gets beaten to death" Google Jim Crow laws and you might get a better understanding.

Is your expose' on PA racism now a twice daily feature on this board? Sort of repetitive and boring if you ask me.
Now's a good time to remind ourselves we have a black head coach we love, we had a white coach we loved, in both eras we had/have loads of black assistants who we also love, loads and loads of black players who we love and love loving as players and former players who represent the program and school we love and more we'd love to get to play for the program and school we love. And that we don't give a darn whether they're black or white or purple. Instead, we care about whether they win or lose, how they act and how they represent us.

love love love love black love white love love love love love. Sometimes race is relevant. In this case, it's not clear. But it IS inflammatory. So the white guy should have considered the story and what it'd become if he continued. And the black ladies sounded quick to point out that they were the only black group on the course. But otherwise, their story didn't add up. Without the stench of racism, it's just a bunch of idiots playing golf and breaking an age-old rule, being rude and getting kicked out and tattled on by a moron who over-reacted.

All were wrong, including the dip$___ pro. Has anyone EVER heard a golf pro say "sure, 5-some is just fine?" And on a CROWDED course? Funny how nobody mentioned his race. But if this story isn't about race, it's about stupidity. He shouldn't get a pass. Which brings this full circle. If CJF acts like an idiot and loses loads of games. Fire him. And if Trace throws INTs or if Wade misses tackles, bench him. And if Gillikin sells drugs, kick him off the team. And if racism COULD become part of the story, be smart and keep it from becoming the story.

Someone has to explain that motive is often hard to figure out and why someone is ignorant isn't as important as that they are ignorant.

My kid was accused of racism becuase she asked the coworker next to her if he could turn down his music a little so she could hear her music better. She's not some racist, the guy next to her is just inconsiderate.

Even though this isn’t ‘race’ related, i think it captures the spirit of your post (possibly NSFW) - from Key and Peele:

This could be sexism, I'm not sure. Or maybe race-sex-ism? Definitely some kind of -ism.

..... oh for God's sake...

Not arguing with you, but how's it even possible for any reporter to get the facts so badly?

"were told they were not keeping the pace of play on just the second hole" Sure doesn't sound like second hole after the turn.... Which reporter has it totally wrong?

"After finishing the first half of their round, three members of the group decided to leave ... The two who stayed to finish the round ..." If the story you read was right, how's a 5-some on hole 2 even possible? 3 of the 5 left!

My word...

This could be sexism, I'm not sure. Or maybe race-sex-ism? Definitely some kind of -ism.

at the heart of this story is why the father of the owner misrepresented himself to 5 African-American women golfers on the SECOND F**KING HOLE, and persisted in harassing them

Reactions: EPC FAN
I've worked several different positions at two golf courses over the years and no matter how you try and spin it, calling the cops on slow play is way over the top. The both times I've seen the cops called had to do with belligerent golfers who had way too much to drink.

at the heart of this story is why the father of the owner misrepresented himself to 5 African-American women golfers on the SECOND F**KING HOLE, and persisted in harassing them
OK, pal...we get it. Maybe it's time to let this go??

Racists never feel guilty about their racism. that's part of being a racist.
Nah. Whether or not the person feels guilty isn't part of being racist. The only part of being racist that matters is the racist part.

I know a lot of racists who feel guilty about it. They're still racist.

so here's what we know:

So they were members. Sounds like your racism case has been blown up.

"the police were called when they refused to leave, arguing their case that they were being singled out by golf course owners"

Typically when people refuse to leave the police have to be called. In the past security would remove people, but that doesn't happen anymore. They can argue their case in court. Not on the course.

LdN

I've worked several different positions at two golf courses over the years and no matter how you try and spin it, calling the cops on slow play is way over the top. The both times I've seen the cops called had to do with belligerent golfers who had way too much to drink.
totally agree....unless, when approached, the gals got hostile...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Kmase21
Did some research and the one woman's Twitter name is @1diversity4all. How ironic
giphy.gif

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Ahhh, York County Pa- Home to Charlie Robertson and Lillie Belle Allen , the Rehmyer's Hollow Hex murder, a major KKK enclave in Southern York County, etc. Who wouldn't want to live here?

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
So they were members. Sounds like your racism case has been blown up.

"the police were called when they refused to leave, arguing their case that they were being singled out by golf course owners"

Typically when people refuse to leave the police have to be called. In the past security would remove people, but that doesn't happen anymore. They can argue their case in court. Not on the course.

LdN
Its a good point, LdN. If you legitimately approach a patron and ask for corrective action, what are you supposed to do if they say 'no'? You ask them to leave. If they do not, your only recourse is to call the police. You cannot take matters into your own hands. Reminiscent of the Starbucks issue recently.

But if the course allowed them to tee off with a 5-some, I've got no way to support the course. If I ran a GC, no way in hell I'd let a 5er tee off.

Reactions: Nitwit97
Really, on the five-some? Especially for a CC, that assumes higher level golfers. Perhaps at the local cow pasture where they encrouage you to play without a shirt and shoes and try to get 11 year olds out there. But I can tell you, as a not-very-good-golfer, every place I've ever played the group behind a 5-some would be outraged. I do agree, it was the second hole, how could that be that far behind?

Having said that, it could clearly be racism...or sexism (or both). But I feel like the article was written in order to make the reader mad.

So, not disagreeing with anything you say and am pretty sure an element of "-ism" is involved. My only disagreement is the 5-some. Honestly, if it was me behind that 5-some and I was waiting, I'd march right back to the clubhouse and get my money back. (and were was the starter?)
News/Journalism are just fact based stories written by the author. They all have their own spin and can be presented in different ways. If you have kids, you know how to pick through a tale to find the facts that truly matter.

Sexism? Possibly, that is more likely on a golf course.

Necessary to call cops? That is a first one on a golf course for me.

Comprehending Engineers, --Take One:

A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers.

Engineer: What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!

Doctor: I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude!

Pastor: Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him.
[dramatic pause] Hi George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?

George: Oh, yes, that's a group of blind fire fighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime.

The group was silent for a moment.

Pastor: That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight.

Doctor: Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them.

Engineer: Why can't these guys play at night? :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT