ADVERTISEMENT

OT: York golf club owner calls cops on black female members for playing too slow

Everything is racism. Whenever you want to play the race card, the media outlets are more than happy to oblige. I was turned away from using the Men's Room at a McDonalds by a Black Male employee because I did not have a receipt. Is the racism reversed, "No" But, let the tables be turned, and the "R Card" gets beaten to death! Do you think any media outlet would want to interview me and get my story? "Hell No" because it Does Not Fit Their Narrative. No one knows what really went on at this gold club, so don't immediately start the Racism Blame Game!

The women — who are all members at the golf club — were told they were not keeping the pace of play on just the second hole by former York County Commissioner Steve Chronister, who claimed to be the owner of the club. They claimed they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them, and talked with the golf pro at the course after Chronister confronted the group. They claimed the golf pro said they were fine.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Everything is racism. Whenever you want to play the race card, the media outlets are more than happy to oblige. I was turned away from using the Men's Room at a McDonalds by a Black Male employee because I did not have a receipt. Is the racism reversed, "No" But, let the tables be turned, and the "R Card" gets beaten to death! Do you think any media outlet would want to interview me and get my story? "Hell No" because it Does Not Fit Their Narrative. No one knows what really went on at this gold club, so don't immediately start the Racism Blame Game!

So we had two slow groups, maybe the guy should have called the cops on both parties?
This country is so racist that we're talking abnout racism due to a call to the police over slow play. If this ain't a first world problem, I don't know what is.

Well, in all fairness - it's pretty well known that establishments want you to buy something if you are going to use the bathrooms. That's what I would consider common sense. White or black, I think this is pretty well known.

The golf club called the police because "the group was playing slow" - have you ever seen that happen before?

Reactions: BoulderFish
Is your expose' on PA racism now a twice daily feature on this board? Sort of repetitive and boring if you ask me.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
There are a few things in the article that don't quite add up. "They claimed they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them."

After they were confronted on the second hole, the women said they skipped the third hole to avoid any other issues.

If they were keeping up with the group ahead of them, there would have been no need to skip the 3rd hole. It may have been that they skipped the hole because they were at least one hole behind the group in front of them. The owner stated that the group skipped more than one hole, which indicates that the group may have been the problem.

In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.

None of us know why they were asked to leave, and if it was because they were black then it was a racist action. However, if it was because they were holding up the golf course and refused to pick up the pace of play after being confronted, then race is not an issue.

uhm denying the use of the bathroom wasn't the racist part of that Starbucks story, bro.

Reactions: NJPSU
The women — who are all members at the golf club — were told they were not keeping the pace of play on just the second hole by former York County Commissioner Steve Chronister, who claimed to be the owner of the club. They claimed they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them, and talked with the golf pro at the course after Chronister confronted the group. They claimed the golf pro said they were fine.

Women and second hole. FLAG. :eek:

(And not the flag in the hole either. :eek: )

Oh, you poor baby. It must be so hard on you to hear about all these stories of racism. You must feel so oppressed.

There are a few things in the article that don't quite add up. "They claimed they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them."

After they were confronted on the second hole, the women said they skipped the third hole to avoid any other issues.

If they were keeping up with the group ahead of them, there would have been no need to skip the 3rd hole. It may have been that they skipped the hole because they were at least one hole behind the group in front of them. The owner stated that the group skipped more than one hole, which indicates that the group may have been the problem.

In this instance, the members refused to leave so we called police to ensure an amicable result. The members did skip holes and took an extended break after the 9th hole. We spoke with them once about pace of play and then spoke with them a second time. During the second conversation we asked members to leave as per our policy noted on the scorecard, voices escalated, and police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.

None of us know why they were asked to leave, and if it was because they were black then it was a racist action. However, if it was because they were holding up the golf course and refused to pick up the pace of play after being confronted, then race is not an issue.

oh thank God someone white-splained this for us. THANKS!

Reactions: BBrown

No need. Just let our resident race expert enjoy his latest diatribe.

LdN

1. I don't know of any golf course that allows 5-somes.
  2. A conversation, initiated by the owner, should have been in order. The article doesn't address what happened before the police were called.
  3. Did a conversation happen or not? If there was a decent conversation and the 5-some refused, I've got no problem.
  4. If the owner just called the police because there was a 5-some then I agree, racism.
I can tell you I've golfed with a bunch of guys that would simply have hit balls into the group. To me, its golf, entertainment...enjoy yourself.

oh thank God someone white-splained this for us. THANKS!

Someone has to explain that motive is often hard to figure out and why someone is ignorant isn't as important as that they are ignorant.

My kid was accused of racism becuase she asked the coworker next to her if he could turn down his music a little so she could hear her music better. She's not some racist, the guy next to her is just inconsiderate.

1. I don't know of any golf course that allows 5-somes.
  2. A conversation, initiated by the owner, should have been in order. The article doesn't address what happened before the police were called.
  3. Did a conversation happen or not? If there was a decent conversation and the 5-some refused, I've got no problem.
  4. If the owner just called the police because there was a 5-some then I agree, racism.
I can tell you I've golfed with a bunch of guys that would simply have hit balls into the group. To me, its golf, entertainment...enjoy yourself.

An excellent example of thinking outside the box, kudos!

1. I don't know of any golf course that allows 5-somes. I have. And in this case, they were given the OK.
  2. A conversation, initiated by the owner, should have been in order. The article doesn't address what happened before the police were called. It appears that they spoke to the ranger before the owner's father - local politico - got involved.
  3. Did a conversation happen or not? If there was a decent conversation and the 5-some refused, I've got no problem. Three players left after the 9 holes, and then they were met with the owner and others again after the turn - for being slow.
  4. If the owner just called the police because there was a 5-some then I agree, racism. No - just because they played slow.

But, they were keeping up with the group in front of them. No where in the story does it say anything about them and if anyone spoke to them also for playing slow. Only the 5 women.
I can tell you I've golfed with a bunch of guys that would simply have hit balls into the group. Into a bunch of women who are being held up because of the group in front of them? To me, its golf, entertainment...enjoy yourself. I am guessing it was for them also, until the owner's father showed up. And ruined it.

Really, on the five-some? Especially for a CC, that assumes higher level golfers. Perhaps at the local cow pasture where they encrouage you to play without a shirt and shoes and try to get 11 year olds out there. But I can tell you, as a not-very-good-golfer, every place I've ever played the group behind a 5-some would be outraged. I do agree, it was the second hole, how could that be that far behind?

Having said that, it could clearly be racism...or sexism (or both). But I feel like the article was written in order to make the reader mad.

So, not disagreeing with anything you say and am pretty sure an element of "-ism" is involved. My only disagreement is the 5-some. Honestly, if it was me behind that 5-some and I was waiting, I'd march right back to the clubhouse and get my money back. (and were was the starter?)

Really, on the five-some? Especially for a CC, that assumes higher level golfers. Perhaps at the local cow pasture where they encrouage you to play without a shirt and shoes and try to get 11 year olds out there. But I can tell you, as a not-very-good-golfer, every place I've ever played the group behind a 5-some would be outraged. I do agree, it was the second hole, how could that be that far behind?

Having said that, it could clearly be racism...or sexism (or both). But I feel like the article was written in order to make the reader mad.

So, not disagreeing with anything you say and am pretty sure an element of "-ism" is involved. My only disagreement is the 5-some. Honestly, if it was me behind that 5-some and I was waiting, I'd march right back to the clubhouse and get my money back. (and were was the starter?)

Five some once - on a course north of Indianapolis, and it was because I was flying solo and caught up to a foursome. Ranger came by and said it was OK, as we were moving along pretty well. But, we were not holding anyone up on our own.

"police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.”

only a white person of privilege would say this
Ding ding ding. I copied the following to my desktop before reaching your post:

"police were called to ensure an amicable resolution.”

That's pure gold right there folks. Say, ya think this place is accepting new members?

That was a joke. I don't want to play that course. So is playing in a 5-some. So no thanks to playing behind "the Sisters in the Fairway." And that has nothing to do with race.

We all agree the owner is a dolt. But ladies, how'd you skip the third hole if you were keeping pace through 2? Yeah. Didn't think so.

This is not racism ... unless slow playing golfers is a new race designation. Sounds simple to me ... people playing slow are warned and then upon continuation of slow play are asked to leave (as has been the precedent). This group of people decides they are above the rule and escalate things verbally. Club calls police to enforce their rules. I am perfectly ok with the club's reaction ... I am not ok with making this about women or race.

Oh, you poor baby. It must be so hard on you to hear about all these stories of racism. You must feel so oppressed.

No at all. Just grow the hell up and quit using an "Excuse" for everything in life, like the "Race Card".....

ADVERTISEMENT