ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World may have changed, but Lebanon bologna has remained the same

As someone from Lebanon, Bombergers brand is the best around. Seltzers always felt like the ‘name brand’ that tasted more ‘tame’. Now that giant has bought a number of local grocery stores it’s harder to find; they like to push the giant brand of things and limit the choices of most items. Dutch-Way still carries it.

sort of off topic, but I only figured out a couple of years ago that Pennsylvania Dutch are not actually 'Dutch' ie..from Holland/The Netherland. They are more German, ie...Duetsch. That they think was just mis spoke by the English to Dutch and lived on. Also back when they immigrated to the USA in the 1600's, Germany wasn't actually a country like today and the Duetschlands was more a patchwork of kingdoms and territories encompassing modern day Holland, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

sort of off topic, but I only figured out a couple of years ago that Pennsylvania Dutch are not actually 'Dutch' ie..from Holland/The Netherland. They are more German, ie...Duetsch. That they think was just mis spoke by the English to Dutch and lived on. Also back when they immigrated to the USA in the 1600's, Germany wasn't actually a country like today and the Duetschlands was more a patchwork of kingdoms and territories encompassing modern day Holland, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.
Yeah, the Moravians for example came originally from the Moravia region of what is currently the Czech Republic.

Many migrated to the Bethlehem, PA area in the early 1700's and then further to North Carolina in the 1750's and 1760's, where they settled in what is currently Winston-Salem and surrounding areas.

The Amish also have a significant presence in the Foothills area of North Carolina.

As someone from Lebanon, Bombergers brand is the best around. Seltzers always felt like the ‘name brand’ that tasted more ‘tame’. Now that giant has bought a number of local grocery stores it’s harder to find; they like to push the giant brand of things and limit the choices of most items. Dutch-Way still carries it.

Bomberger’s is owned and made by Seltzer’s along with Baum’s and Penn Dutch. Wouldn’t be surprised if Seltzer’s also makes other brands as well.

Now you all have gone and done it. Gonna order me up some . Been 35 years probably. I have always loved swiss cheese ....and have gotten a taste for bread and butter pickles. May have to even buy white bread ; will be a first in probably 25 years at least. Now for the mustard choice ???? See what you've done ?

White bread, yellow mustard, regular Lebanon bologna, Swiss cheese, chopped onion, & potato chips smashed inside the sandwich.

Another childhood favorite was Lebanon bologna, cheese, mayo & peanut butter on white bread.

Reactions: gamblepsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT