ADVERTISEMENT

OT - women with tattoos (what were they thinking?)

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
OK - I admit I might be straying close to the down in front crowd here - but there are a lot of women on the beach these days with these big side tattoos that I find ugly. Why ruin a nice body by putting all this stuff all over it? Sometimes it's handwritten messages, or other times big designs. Look, I appreciate art, and understand that people like to express sentimental values in various ways. But not on your skin! It's like putting a bumper sticker on a Rolls Royce. And please - no flags. I'm not about to sneak a voyeur photo of these women. You know what I'm taking about.

Btw - I'm not too fond of tattoos on men either (makes the NBA hard to watch) but that's a topic for another day.

OK - I admit I might be straying close to the down in front crowd here - but there are a lot of women on the beach these days with these big side tattoos that I find ugly. Why ruin a nice body by putting all this stuff all over it? Sometimes it's handwritten messages, or other times big designs. Look, I appreciate art, and understand that people like to express sentimental values in various ways. But not on your skin! It's like putting a bumper sticker on a Rolls Royce. And please - no flags. I'm not about to sneak a voyeur photo of these women. You know what I'm taking about.

Btw - I'm not too fond of tattoos on men either (makes the NBA hard to watch) but that's a topic for another day.

Was actually going to poll this one of these days - I'm definitely a 'less is more' guy...

I could not agree more.
OK, I can, and I do agree even more.
Tattoos are an instant turn off for me. A few weeks ago, in another thread, I posted this: "I watched a stunning woman walk into a dinner party a few months ago. Even my wife thought she was beautiful. We were introduced and exchanged some small talk. Then, she saw a friend walk in, excused herself, and turned to meet the friend. As she walked away I was horrified to see a tattoo across the back of her neck. It did nothing but detract from this woman's great beauty. I cannot even remember what it said...something about love. To me it was like putting a bumper sticker on a Corvette. Some things are just better in their natural state."
I have never seen a tattoo enhance the beauty of a woman. Women of the world, stop this insanity!

Mena Suvari. WTF was she thinking?
celebrity_tattoos_1.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on the tattoo for me. So many crap artists out there.
If they are the right tattoo done by the right artist. I dig it.

But some tacky tattoo done by a bad artist, no thank you.

My wife has two large beautiful pieces that go from each hip up around her back and to her shoulder. They both have very significant meaning to events that have happened in her life. They were designed by her, drawn by her best friend, and put on by an exceptional artist who she researched for over a year. She has other smaller pieces that also carry special meaning. Every time she gets something she shares the idea with me and asks me if I would like it. I've loved everything she has gotten and when we met 20 years ago she had one small sunflower on her hip. So I've been with her from no tattoos to large pieces and find them incredibly attractive.

I've seen tattoos that seem to be odd but then get the story or meaning behind them and it changes my perspective on them. I agree that a random lipstick tattoo on a neck is hideous but not all tattoos done are for effect or for others to see or appreciate. Some have them done for a cathartic process that they need to get past periods in their lives.

That's why life is such a beautiful thing. Beauty is seen in the eye of the beholder. Some people don't like tattoos much like others don't find short hair attractive or an athletic build.

I think tattoos in general are a very visible admission that someone doesn't like who they are or what God has given them. I'm not talking about something small, tasteful and personally significant. I don't have tattoos nor does my wife but that is acceptable. Beyond this is likely announcing that they feel inadequate or unattractive in some way.

Reactions: Pride and Fila
My wife has two large beautiful pieces that go from each hip up around her back and to her shoulder. They both have very significant meaning to events that have happened in her life. They were designed by her, drawn by her best friend, and put on by an exceptional artist who she researched for over a year. She has other smaller pieces that also carry special meaning. Every time she gets something she shares the idea with me and asks me if I would like it. I've loved everything she has gotten and when we met 20 years ago she had one small sunflower on her hip. So I've been with her from no tattoos to large pieces and find them incredibly attractive.

I've seen tattoos that seem to be odd but then get the story or meaning behind them and it changes my perspective on them. I agree that a random lipstick tattoo on a neck is hideous but not all tattoos done are for effect or for others to see or appreciate. Some have them done for a cathartic process that they need to get past periods in their lives.

That's why life is such a beautiful thing. Beauty is seen in the eye of the beholder. Some people don't like tattoos much like others don't find short hair attractive or an athletic build.
I am sure your wife is a lovely woman, and as long as you both like her tattoos, and find meaning in them, that's all that matters. That said, I know women who have had them done solely as a fashion statement and I that makes no sense to me. It's easier to get a divorce than to get rid of a prominent tattoo.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I am sure your wife is a lovely woman, and as long as you both like her tattoos, and find meaning in them, that's all that matters. That said, I know women who have had them done solely as a fashion statement and I that makes no sense to me. It's easier to get a divorce than to get rid of a prominent tattoo.

I take ZERO offense to people not liking tattoos or
my wife's tattoos for that matter. Either does she. Every person has a right to find what they want as attractive and tattoos aren't for everyone and I understand that. It's a personal choice she has made and I'm sure there are people like on this board that when they see her on the beach make a snap judgement about her based on that. When she is dressed for work you can't see any of them. She does them for herself. I don't mind people judging at all.

I don't take offense to anyone feeling that way and hope it wasn't written that way. Just posting a personal opposing view to the tattoo thing.

I take ZERO offense to people not liking tattoos or
my wife's tattoos for that matter. Either does she. Every person has a right to find what they want as attractive and tattoos aren't for everyone and I understand that. It's a personal choice she has made and I'm sure there are people like on this board that when they see her on the beach make a snap judgement about her based on that. When she is dressed for work you can't see any of them. She does them for herself. I don't mind people judging at all.

I don't take offense to anyone feeling that way and hope it wasn't written that way. Just posting a personal opposing view to the tattoo thing.
I took no offense. I am glad you posted. It gave me some food for thought.

I've seen tatoos on women that are extremely hot, and some that are too much. To each his own.

My wife has several tattoos. None of which can be seen while at work. Only at the beach can they be seen. All of them represent an event in her life, or her family. I have no problem with them. But there is a fine line between being tactful and going way overboard.

I have come up with some new words to the old song "Has Anybody Seen My Girl".

"5 foot 2,
Elisabeth Shue,
Hot as hell and no tattoo,
Has anybody seen my girl?"

(She actually is 5'2" and reportedly has no tattoos)
2029_elisabeth_shue.jpg

Last edited:

I do the LICK AND STICK tattoos myself.

51B7BIEWMLL._SY400_.jpg

I've "dated" women with small, tasteful tattoos (tramp stamp), but am turned off by anything close to a sleeve. I see young girls with tattoos on their wrist or other obvious spots, and feel sorry for them in 30 years. I think they should make people look at photos of old people with faded tattoos on wrinkled skin, before getting a tattoo.

I liked Mr. Roarke's little buddy Tattoo on Fantasy Island but that's the extent of it for me.

There are few things more disgusting (IMHO) than a beautiful bride walking down the aisle in a beautiful dress with tattoos all over her arms or her neck and/back.

Cooks and servers in restaurants tattooed all over don't help my appetite either.

Tattoos have become like drugs for some people... and probably coupled with drugs.

Once you are a user, you effectively have selected your friends. Those friends are also users and you get into the circle of users.

There is a ton of positive reinforcement by this group... from the dealers to the other dependents.

The disease just gets worse and worse until the person becomes a two sleeved wackjob.

To each their own. I won't go to a tattooed person and tell them I think they are nuts. However, the big problem is that their new circle of friends tell them how cool and awesome they are as they slowly drift apart from the rest of society.

In general tattoos are a sign that people have nothing else to obsess about than what kind of tribal mark or phrase to tattoo on their shoulder.

LdN

I'm in favor of ONE, properly placed...wherever that may be. More than that...not so much. Definitely nothing above the shoulder.

Once had a woman who worked for me, back in the late 90's. She literally did not have enough money to feed her kid (due to poor financial decisions on her part). She came in one day with new ink ON HER FACE. I was furious.

Tattoos have become like drugs for some people... and probably coupled with drugs.

Once you are a user, you effectively have selected your friends. Those friends are also users and you get into the circle of users.

There is a ton of positive reinforcement by this group... from the dealers to the other dependents.

The disease just gets worse and worse until the person becomes a two sleeved wackjob.

To each their own. I won't go to a tattooed person and tell them I think they are nuts. However, the big problem is that their new circle of friends tell them how cool and awesome they are as they slowly drift apart from the rest of society.

In general tattoos are a sign that people have nothing else to obsess about than what kind of tribal mark or phrase to tattoo on their shoulder.

LdN

I have a few tattoos, but I am by no means a big tattoo supporter. I don't regret my tattoos, largely because I don't regret many things in life...regret seems unproductive to me. But as someone who has a few rather small/tasteful tattoos, I find myself pre-judging the "sleeve" crowd as well. I don't like a woman covered in tattoos and I don't find myself my most comfortable in a place where people are covered from head to toe in tattoos. I wonder what they do for jobs, what life they lead where that is acceptable at all times? A life different than the corporate world I live, thats' for sure.

I however don't know that I agree with your assessment that they are "slipping away from society." Go to Los Angeles for instance, and tattoos are certainly apart of that society. In fact, I think tattoos have become such a mainstay that people without them are slowly fading away from society. I'd imagine you are full of bluster and about to pop with the loudest "Get off my lawn," emote in history, but I am on your side, trust me. People it seems, originally got tattoos to be different or unique somehow. Not to say that is the ONLY reason, many posters above mentioned very meaningful applications of tattoos. But I do find it funny how this crowd must constantly continue to find new ways to stand out...now everyone and their mother has a tattoo! They really don't move the needle anymore, no pun intended. Nobody gasps when they see them, nobody is surprised by them, and eventually, old white guys on sports blogs will stop with opinions like the above about tattoos.....and to me, that is a bad ending for someone with tattoos from forehead to toe. People just basically go..."thats ugly and unoriginal," and look the other way.

Reactions: fairgambit
I don't get tattoos at all. Other than extreme cases where a persons regular skin has some kind of condition is anyones looks enhanced by getting a tattoo? Not IMO.

I think that like other fashions that come and go some day tattoos will become less common again. And then we'll have a bunch of 90 year old people with tattoos in nursing homes being taken care of by 30 year old people without tattoos.

If anyone is going to get a tattoo it should be an old person since you're skin looks crappy as you get older. Instead young people get tattoos and cover up their nice, young skin and then when they get old the tattoo is old and haggard looking too.

I wonder if there is any correlation between not liking tattoos and not liking to have a lot of clutter and stuff in your house. I dislike tattoos and I dislike clutter in my house. Coincidence?

I'm old school, I guess. If you're not a biker or a sailor you don't need to be sporting tats. Hell, I'm both, and still don't have any tats.

I got some great advice from an instructor after I was in the Navy a few months. He told our class how expensive it was
to have one removed because his 2nd wife didn't really like it. And, to think twice before getting one because ya can't peel
em off. Never got one. I hate em on women. But, to each his own. I am now an official; "Get Off My Lawn Guy!"

I got some great advice from an instructor after I was in the Navy a few months. He told our class how expensive it was
to have one removed because his 2nd wife didn't really like it. And, to think twice before getting one because ya can't peel
em off. Never got one. I hate em on women. But, to each his own. I am now an official; "Get Off My Lawn Guy!"

And they do not improve with age as the ink bleeds and muscle tone is lost.

How bout all them young kids with the big holes in their ears? What's the deal with that nonsense? They pretty much locked themselves into a career in food and beverage as a server because they look like freaks. You'll never see anyone with a respectable well paying job with that look.

I could not agree more.
OK, I can, and I do agree even more.
Tattoos are an instant turn off for me. A few weeks ago, in another thread, I posted this: "I watched a stunning woman walk into a dinner party a few months ago. Even my wife thought she was beautiful. We were introduced and exchanged some small talk. Then, she saw a friend walk in, excused herself, and turned to meet the friend. As she walked away I was horrified to see a tattoo across the back of her neck. It did nothing but detract from this woman's great beauty. I cannot even remember what it said...something about love. To me it was like putting a bumper sticker on a Corvette. Some things are just better in their natural state."
I have never seen a tattoo enhance the beauty of a woman. Women of the world, stop this insanity!

celebrity_tattoos_1.jpg
Hate 'em.

celebrity_tattoos_1.jpg
At least it's a lion, no?

Reminds me of the joke about the woman who loved Frank Sinatra and decided to get a tattoo of the Chairman of the Board on her inner left thigh. I'd continue with the joke, but I'm pretty sure everyone under the sun has heard THAT one.

I think tattoos in general are a very visible admission that someone doesn't like who they are or what God has given them. I'm not talking about something small, tasteful and personally significant. I don't have tattoos nor does my wife but that is acceptable. Beyond this is likely announcing that they feel inadequate or unattractive in some way.

I think you nailed it. Many (not all) of these women have low self-esteem.

Reactions: bison13
Interesting, thought-provoking post.

None of my children, nieces, or nephews have any tattoos or body piercings (at least to my visible knowledge), but certain of them are dating/attracted to "potential spouses" who have multiple tattoos and/or some body piercings.

Such body-deformation is rather unfamiliar to me and the "older family" members. What do they do or say, if anything?

To me, getting one or more of these "things" speaks volumes about "underlying intelligence" of the individual.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Are tattoos and body piercings correlateable with relative intelligence?

Last edited:

None of my children, nieces, or nephews have any tattoos or body piercings (at least to my visible knowledge), but certain of them are dating/attracted to "potential spouses" who have multiple tattoos and/or some body piercings.

Such body-deformation is rather unfamiliar to the me and the "older family" members. What do they do or say, if anything?

To me, getting one or more of these "things" speaks volumes about "underlying intelligence".of the individual.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Well my cousins 19 year old has a 4 year academic scholarship to NYU has an internship with a law firm in NYC (as an undergrad) finished her freshman year with a 4.0 GPA and volunteers to teach underprivileged kids mathematics.

And she has a large tattoo on her left forearm.

I am very proud of her given some other family issues she had dealt with to date.

Such body-deformation is rather unfamiliar to the me and the "older family" members. What do they do or say, if anything?

To me, getting one or more of these "things" speaks volumes about "underlying intelligence".of the individual.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

I think you might be surprised how many highly successful and intelligent women have tattoos and or piercings. Many have them in discreet places for all sorts of different meanings. Many of their tattoos are covered by clothes and only seen by their spouse of close family members.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT