ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When this C-19 pandemic somewhat subsides, "Where to , travelling wise, for You?" The Grand Canyon of the Pacific?

gr82baspartan

Nov 16, 2003
So I survived Hawaii's current C-19 ingress R and R's. To help combat the virus.
Popped on by Waimea Canyon/Kauai today. Totally a 5star Wow!!

Future trip plans when things open up:
back to Europe, and specifically stop by Utah Beach To check out landing spot where wife's dad beached a month after D-day.

Then , down the road, thinking of the New Zealand/Australia combo,

Venice Italy, before it sinks, or
back to the Iguazu Falls in Argentina.

For you?

,,,,cheers ( sipping my Maker's Mark)

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
So I survived Hawaii's current C-19 ingress R and R's. To help combat the virus.

back to Europe, and specifically stop by Utah Beach To check out landing spot where wife's dad beached a month after D-day.

For you?

Ireland in the Spring - hopefully Paris soon after.

Since we don't travel out of the U.S., life has not changed for us outside of having to wear a damn mask to go into a business.

We postponed a trip to Korea until '22, but will be exploring some wilderness areas in the west before my son's summer baseball season kicks in.

I have flown somewhere every month since May 2020 with no issues. None what so ever. It has actually been great to travel. Few people. Flying is not miserable. I understand the physics of aerosols. I take moderate precautions. You don't need much else to fully enjoy life. That was before being fully vaccinated. Now? Life is back to normal. Mostly.

Reactions: EMCLION
Travel to any American big city is nuts. Avoid.

I saw a broad-daylight shootout, ok an OK Corral shootout in Pittsburgh on Feb 16. A decent neighborhood. I've been to NY, DC, North Jersey within the past year, it's all a shit-show. Kids are flying around on dirt bikes in NYC blowing red lights, cutting people off, no enforcement of anything. DO NOT DRIVE.

I will back off on "Avoid" but driving in or out of DC, BALT, Philly, or NYC is a suicide mission. All city roads are garbage, endless tolls, ever increasing tolls, bad roads.

If you don't have to go too far on the DC Belt it's not that bad. 70 is busy. Truckers avoiding the Penn Pike which for them is probly over 300 bucks end-to-end. Rt 1, Rt 100 out of Philly burbs, Allentown all crazy every day. 476, same deal. Probably OK at 5AM.

Oh by the way 78 from Hamburg to Allentown is being widened, big slowdown. Big route to Jersey, NYC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fayette_LION
Kauai’s “Grand Canyon of the Pacific” is truly amazing.

Drove all the way to the top of the canyon one day (many many years ago), then the next day drove to the north end of the island and did a 3-4 hour zodiac raft trip to see the canyon from the 180* opposite view.

The pandemic will never "subside." It's here until you die from it or something else. Most people think they're immortal. Good luck.

Buy 1500 pallets of toilet paper.

I did the drive up to Waimea too... Was phenomenal. It was hard to gauge perspective till I saw some helicopters flying through with the red dirt and waterfalls in the backdrop. Kauai is probably my favorite destination of all time. Loved Princeville Botanical Gardens, Hanalei, and Kapaa area.

I'm going to Anchorage and Denali in August. Planning to do lots of hiking, walk on a glacier, rafting and ATV in Denali, among others.

Iceland, Ireland, Costa Rica, and Peru are on the to-see-next list once the State Dept drops the travel advisory warning levels.

Last edited:
We were supposed to do a Hawaiian cruise last year, but were canceled 2 days before we were scheduled to leave. So, we're doing a cruise to Antarctica in January, 2022. Starts in Buenos Aires and ends at Santiago, Chile.

Going to Florida when kids out of school in June to see parents who we haven't seen in over a year. 10 days in Exuma in the Bahamas in July - can't wait for both. Exuma is a great Island with nice beaches which are almost always empty.

On June 10th my wife and I are headed to Costa Rica to stay at the Fenix Hotel On The Beach. Owned and operated by our very own Wesauking Lion.

Can't wait to lie in a hammock and sip margaritas!

First trip will be in August to a wedding in Mexico. It was supposed to be last year but was postponed because of COVID.

One small comment here:

NZ is the size of California with twice as many interesting things to see. You could easily spend two weeks just in NZ (and wouldn't recommend less than a week).

Australia is HUGE. If you have a week there, maybe you could see some of one coast.

Also, Sydney to Auckland is a 3+ hour flight. That is short compared to the time to get from the US to AUS but it isn't like you are hopping over there like going from Oahu to Maui.

My two cents is that those should be separate trips, but if you do combine them, suggest focusing on south Island of NZ (Christchurch, Abel Tasman National Park, Southern Alps, glaciers) rather than trying to do both.

Planning to go to northern Maine first week of June. Haven't seen my friends for 14 months. Do some riding on my ATV, maybe some fishing. Beyond excited for a roadtrip.

June heading to Turks and Caicos with my wife for a week, Club Med.
November trip to Universal Studios with extended family, then my wife and I are headed to the Gulf coast for a few more nites, still have not booked lodging, want to be within and hour of Ft Myers airport.
May 2022 Viking Alaska cruise Vancouver to Seward, wife and our two sons.

Ready to bust out!!!

Kauai’s “Grand Canyon of the Pacific” is truly amazing.

Drove all the way to the top of the canyon one day (many many years ago), then the next day drove to the north end of the island and did a 3-4 hour zodiac raft trip to see the canyon from the 180* opposite view.
Cool re your up close and personal raft trip.

Today should the weather hold up , will be taking a helicopter trip around the canyon, plus more.

Then a funky dinner cruise in a few days to check out the Na Pali coast.

,,,cheers

We were supposed to do a Hawaiian cruise last year, but were canceled 2 days before we were scheduled to leave. So, we're doing a cruise to Antarctica in January, 2022. Starts in Buenos Aires and ends at Santiago, Chile.
Took a similar Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise ( without Antarctica) a few years ago.
We were at the tip of South America on that News Years Eve and there I was trying to catch the Alabama vs MSU football game on the internet.
Total disappointment, as Alabama kicked our butts.

However, did get to enjoy the Iguazu Falls prior to the ships departure out of Buenos Aires.

,,,cheers

Leaving for 5 weeks in Croatia next week. Somewhere in western Europe in the fall.

Reactions: Omar81

For you?

First trip, heading back to Philly, been over a year, kids grand kids all there. Next, want to do the National Parks out west. Have only been to the Grand Canyon, none of the other famous land marks. Been thinking Iceland, but living in FL so long don't think we can handle the cold/chill.

Good for you...that is fantastic.

It is a "staycation" for me....driving to Kiawah this summer for a vacation with ten relatives at a home near the beach. Hoping to play The Ocean Course but they are trying to get over $450 per round right now so may just hire a charter boat and do fishing once or twice.

The daughter is a rising senior so we are looking at Bali, Fiji, or an extended European vacation next year. My wife's father is Scottish and there are, supposedly, some ruins from a castle with her heritage and coat of arms so we want to see that. Then London/Paris and home. The daughter is adopted from Kaliningrad so possible we go there as well.

I am spending a lot of time in the Silicon Valley so possible bucket list trip this fall to play Pebble Beach and one other course there.

Probably a good idea to stay very up to date on the situation wherever you go. Not a good idea to travel internationally and then get stuck in a lockdown. Australia and NZ never had many cases but they had some severe lockdowns.

Good for you...that is fantastic.

It is a "staycation" for me....driving to Kiawah this summer for a vacation with ten relatives at a home near the beach. Hoping to play The Ocean Course but they are trying to get over $450 per round right now so may just hire a charter boat and do fishing once or twice.

The daughter is a rising senior so we are looking at Bali, Fiji, or an extended European vacation next year. My wife's father is Scottish and there are, supposedly, some ruins from a castle with her heritage and coat of arms so we want to see that. Then London/Paris and home. The daughter is adopted from Kaliningrad so possible we go there as well.

I am spending a lot of time in the Silicon Valley so possible bucket list trip this fall to play Pebble Beach and one other course there.

Obli.....you gotta play Spyglass. Absolutely gotta play Spyglass.

Pebble will cost more than The Ocean Course and will probably be a 5-6 hour round.

Reactions: Obliviax
2020 was planned as a big travel year. San Diego to visit my mother in March. Masters practice round with brothers in April. Italy trip in May with wife, son and his girlfriend. August Alaska cruise with two other couples. Another two weeks in Italy in September. All got scuttled except San Diego in March, which was cut short with the start of the pandemic.

We’re going to try to make up for lost time now that the pandemic is waning, along with the fact that I retired late last year. Was just back in San Diego in April; headed to the North Carolina beaches next week to visit friends. Back to San Diego for a little multi-generational (4) get together in July, and finally six weeks in Italy in August-September. Hope to get to a PSU game after we get back.

I enjoy threads like this one to hear of others’ exploits and for inspiration on future travel destinations. Along those lines, I encourage all of you to consider Calabria in the future. No, you won’t see the Colosseum or the Uffizi, but you’ll enjoy incredible beaches, wonderful people (outside the major cities to experience “real” Italians), and of course great food — all at a fraction of the prices you might expect. End of unpaid travel advice (though happy to PM if anyone has questions).

We have already taken a trip to Antigua, they hope the US shares extra vaccines instead of the Chinese crap they have coming.
Two trips to Mexico lined up ( small resort we ho to on the Mayan Riviera ) and a trip to Yellowstone later this summer.

Next year we have trips lines up to Costa Rica and Switzerland (small group hiking in the Alps).

Travel to Antigua was easy, they are all about obeying the rules there as well.

I have a friend currently in Switzerland and she had a nightmare getting there having to answer questions ( why, how, who, etc etc ) every stop along the way. She said travel in the country is reasonably chill but not real open.

When this pandemic subsides, we're going to try to finish our quest to play golf in all 50 states. Got up to 39 before the pandemic hit. And it has to be soon, since we're getting up in age.

Reactions: LionJim
I do want to do our planned PNW trip that was cancelled by COVID. And we hope to go to range country for elephants (likely Tanzania) in the next couple of years.

iu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT