ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What tv show would you bring back in a limited run.

I often wonder if Hogan's Heros could be done in today's climate.

I mean making nazis look like lovable oafs and POW camp not much more difficult than camp Okefenokee.

BTW, Dusseldorf in the news today. Wasn't that were Hogan would go to hook up at the local bar and meet the local resistance?

Northern Exposure would be one of the few that would still work.

I thought about China Beach, but they'd all be around 75 or so now. Maybe the characters of China Beach in an old-folks home with Jimmy McGill as their lawyer? Think of Dodger teaming up with Mike Ehrmantraut, I'd pay to watch that episode.

The original, "Penn State Football Story" with original into....

"They put on college football's most distinctive uniform. Thinking about those before them. The walk-ons. The All Americans. The legends. Who made sure to uphold the tradition. They are the black shoes, white helmets and plain uniforms of one of America's most successful programs. They are heroes, they are winners, they are Penn State Football." And then I want to see 5 or 6, 1 or 2 hour episodes of them highlighting JoePa's career and the great players and coaches.

Most of the shows mentioned in the stream are on the ME channel, check your local network. Sunday night:
Man From Uncle
Mission Impossible - original with Steven Hill,
Get Smart
The Saint - Roger Moore - pre James Bond
Route 66
Peter Gunn
Mr. Lucky
Other Shows on the channel: Love Boat, Remington Steel, Streets of San Francisco, Mod Squad, Hawaii 50 (with Jack Lord), Black Sheep Squadron, Columbo, Rockford, Quincy and many, many more. If you are an old timer the channel has everything.

Re: I almost said Magnum PI, but thought everyone would be too old today

Hey Ranger, you think your favorite show is old.......I was going to say "The Honeymooners".

Re: F Troop or Sea Hunt. Sky King was good and the Lone Ranger

Great list of oldies. The Lone Ranger only if Clayton Moore played the title role. John Hart attempted to play the part of the Ranger during money negotiations and was as wooden as a 200 year old White Oak.

since Twin Peaks has already been nominated, I'll have to go with

Gillian's island

My three sons

McHales Navy

12 O'clock High

Re: I often wonder if Hogan's Heros could be done in today's climate.

Originally posted by Obliviax:
I mean making nazis look like lovable oafs and POW camp not much more difficult than camp Okefenokee.

BTW, Dusseldorf in the news today. Wasn't that were Hogan would go to hook up at the local bar and meet the local resistance?
No. Hammelburg. Which is actually where part of the real Stalag XIII was. See Task Force Baum for it's role in history.

No one mentioned All in the Family ...

I loved how they made a bigot look like an old fool. But, today's audience would probably be unable to recognize the satire, so hey would not find it funny. There would be protests in the streets.

Uh, no. I do not think so. The precise question would

be exactly the one you raised "Were the Nazi's lovable oafs?" After you polled your worldwide audience then added in the 6 million silent "no" votes, you would see a pretty lopsided result. It would be pretty much as popular as calling random combat vets "baby killers" on the street.

Taxi and Barney Miller

Taxi first although how it would work without Andy Kaufman is anyone's guess
Barney Miller a close second although ditto for Jack Soo.

Re: Wings is such a under appreciated show....

Originally posted by Ranger Dan:
it was so well written, the characters were amazing, and it was full of great actors. It reminds me a lot of Taxi, but not in a copycat way.
Agreed Ranger Dan. "If it's green it's trouble, if it's fried get double!"

Call me old, but I really miss the sitcoms that didn't rely on sex and sexual innuendos to get a laugh. I'll take Big Bang over Two and a Half Men any day of the year. Having said that, I would love to see these return:

Cheers
Taxi
Wings
Hogan's Heroes
Spin City
M*A*S*H
Family Ties
Night Court
WKRP in Cincinnatti
The Office
Growing Pains
The Wonder Years
Frasier
Happy Days
Everybody Loves Raymond

Quantum Leap. Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator *

nm

There was a show on ABC in the mid 2000s where these two college age kids were framed for a bombing of some building in NYC by whom they thought was their roommate. However, the roommate was a secret agent who was himself being framed.

The two suspects fled to try to find the ex-roommate to clear their names. Eventually the three of them unite discovering that they were all being framed. They found some high level government guy that had some answers/evidence but as they approach him his limo blows him to smithereens and next thing you know the series is over.

For years I've been hoping that they'd bring it back and let us know who was behind it all! I can't recall the name of it but I think it was name after the secret agent's character.

Not for nothing but I love the idea of Married With Children featuring Christina Applegate!

Originally posted by 91Joe95:
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles
Firefly
I'm coming over to your house with a case of beer and a bunch of DVDs, my friend. Summer!!!! And now everybody knows who Cersei Lannister, er, Lena Headley is.

Dollhouse had promise too. But any good Sci-Fi show, as soon as the writing and storyline just starts to solidify, must immeadiately be cancelled.

You're all possibly missing the one greatest show ever cancelled after one season: FREAKS and GEEKS! Given the cast of that show, and how many of them have gone on to other shows or on to movies, what must have cost ~$50k an episode to make back then would now run upwards of $5M per episode now. Seriously, whoever cancelled that show can no be possibly working in TV still can he?

Pretty sure that this is true: Lloyd Braun (Seinfeld fans will appreciate this) was FIRED from Disney/ABC a few weeks into the beginning of a season, after championing shows such as Lost and Desperate Housewives. Apparently Disney felt these shows were sure losers. Turns out they were huge multi-year hits.

Such is the wonderful world of television executives, and if you ever wondered why network TV sucks and its just recycled crap, while the best shows on TV are on HBO and AMC - well, there you go.

Deadwood...HBO should have finished that series...Swearengen and Woo...my 2 favorite characters...

ADVERTISEMENT