ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USPS delays

Makes you wonder if anyone at the USPS sorting and delivery facilities pays any attention to the labeling. Since most of the sorting is automated, one might think this shouldn't happen. I think we know the answers.
My guess it it got thrown on the wrong truck. Things aren't always due to human error, but it's the way to bet.

My guess it it got thrown on the wrong truck. Things aren't always due to human error, but it's the way to bet.

Yup. I've had packages, two, delivered to me here in metro NYC from NEPA via St. Louis. Those were before the pandemic.

Yup. I've had packages, two, delivered to me here in metro NYC from NEPA via St. Louis. Those were before the pandemic.
I've got a lot of experience in the industry, though I have been away from small package freight (UPS/FedEx) for years. I had a buddy at a pretty high level in FedEx. Obvioulsy, this is years ago and has been corrected since...but they always got a laugh out of it. If somebody in the World Trade Center sent a FedEx package to somebody else in the World Trade Center, it would from the origin office, to the airport hub, to Memphis. From there it would go through the sort system, back to the local Airport hub, to the FedEx NY hub and on to delivery at destination. They have better data now so they can staff to avoid that.

Other carriers have their issues too. Had a FedEx package go through Indy. The day of the shooting. Needless to say it was delayed a bit.....

I've got a lot of experience in the industry, though I have been away from small package freight (UPS/FedEx) for years. I had a buddy at a pretty high level in FedEx. Obvioulsy, this is years ago and has been corrected since...but they always got a laugh out of it. If somebody in the World Trade Center sent a FedEx package to somebody else in the World Trade Center, it would from the origin office, to the airport hub, to Memphis. From there it would go through the sort system, back to the local Airport hub, to the FedEx NY hub and on to delivery at destination. They have better data now so they can staff to avoid that.
Reminds me of the old days of People Express Airlines where if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Cleveland (or any other destination to which it flew), you would go via Newark. For $19 a trip, it was hard to complain.

Reactions: TheGLOV
People's DISTRESS ya mean! LOL!
Flew it quite a few times. Never had a problem. Also, the competition forced the other airlines, notably USAir, Eastern, and TWA, that flew into Pittsburgh from eastern and mid western cities to drop their prices considerably.

Just fished out an envelope from the IRS from my PO Box today. Inside contained a form letter from The White House dated April 15th telling me about the 'latest' American Rescue Plan payment.

This delay makes the waste of paper even more disturbing.

On the flip side, I ordered a Prime Day special set of kitchen utensils (with the free Prime shipping) Monday night around 7pm and the package was delivered to my apartment before 4pm Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Spackler
I had some SACDs (similar to CDs but with better sound) ship from Japan on Monday. They arrived Tuesday by DHL.

If somebody in the World Trade Center sent a FedEx package to somebody else in the World Trade Center, it would from the origin office, to the airport hub, to Memphis. From there it would go through the sort system, back to the local Airport hub, to the FedEx NY hub and on to delivery at destination.

This is stupid. Why would anyone use FedEx to ship a package to someone in the same building or one of the other WTC buildings in the area? And if there was really a reason, why didn't the WTC have it's only "internal" shipping department? Seems like a business opportunity was missed.

This is stupid. Why would anyone use FedEx to ship a package to someone in the same building or one of the other WTC buildings in the area? Laziness. I live with it every day. The person sending the letter/package isn't paying for it. They only care that it gets there the next day (even it doesn't NEED to).

And if there was really a reason, why didn't the WTC have it's only "internal" shipping department? Seems like a business opportunity was missed. Perhaps - it is my understanding that "The World Trade Center" as a entity really did not care. FedEx (and probably UPS too) eventually recognized it as an opportunity and fixed it. Their networks have been steamlined since then. This was over 20 years ago.

I had some SACDs (similar to CDs but with better sound) ship from Japan on Monday. They arrived Tuesday by DHL.

So the Krauts do a better job shipping from the Land of the Rising Sun than they do within the US? DHL is the worst.

So the Krauts do a better job shipping from the Land of the Rising Sun than they do within the US? DHL is the worst.

I only get packages through DHL originating from Japan. Knock on wood, I’ve never had a problem with DHL.

I only get packages through DHL originating from Japan. Knock on wood, I’ve never had a problem with DHL.

No surprise. When I worked in Japan (too long ago to admit), DHL was the only non-Japanese international courier service available. They were incredibly reliable. Don't know what the source of their issues is here.

I recently sent a small package to a guy in Canada. Tracking indicated to me that it traveled from Northbrook IL to the Chicago International hub--roughly twenty miles--in A WEEK! USPS is SO screwed up it's unbelievable.

This is stupid. Why would anyone use FedEx to ship a package to someone in the same building or one of the other WTC buildings in the area? And if there was really a reason, why didn't the WTC have it's only "internal" shipping department? Seems like a business opportunity was missed.

Some day when I'm posting drunk, I will try and tell you how mail & books are processed, handled, and shelved in the Pattee & Paterno libraries. I swear a snail on acid could come up with a more efficient and logical plan.

Saw a couple of new posts on this today and it reminded me of a package that we got last week. Our home number is 691, the package was supposed to be delivered to 169 on our road. I am assuming the driver from whichever mail package delivering company left it had it upside down when packing their vehicle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT