ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USPS delays

PSU73

Feb 10, 2002
ColumbusOh via PortVue/CLE/Houston/CLE
Curious if others are experiencing major delays. I have never experienced delays like this and it's not greeting cards as they are flowing fine. Talking packages, including mailorder pharmacy medicines. I'm just NE outside of Columbus OH.
1. A package I ordered, shipped 1st class, was at the Ballston NY PO on Dec 1 and currently is sitting in Rochester since Dec 4.
2. A package I shipped to go to Annandale VA, book rate, went Dec 7 to Cincinnati and departed Pittsburgh Dec 14 at 1am with no further update. Frankly I didn't expect much with book rate but it is moving faster than 1st class mail.
3. A prescription from a mail order Pharmacy in Cincinnati was delivered to the Cincinnati PO on Dec 7, where it remains at this time.

I don't care about 1 and 2, but the prescription IS a major issue.

The USPS says this: ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

I do understand the dilemma that they face. People not visiting so mailing packages instead, but there seems to be some issues with priority.
Also, this is all BEFORE the recent nor'easter came along.
Perhaps, a bit of an answer to my own post...my son called before I got this posted and he thinks the distribution of vaccines is contributing to this.

There was a WaPo article the other day noting that since UPS and FedEx put shipping caps on some retailers, the USPS is left to pick up the slack.

I've got a package that's been stuck at the local main destination facility since Sunday.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSU73
Curious if others are experiencing major delays. I have never experienced delays like this and it's not greeting cards as they are flowing fine. Talking packages, including mailorder pharmacy medicines. I'm just NE outside of Columbus OH.
1. A package I ordered, shipped 1st class, was at the Ballston NY PO on Dec 1 and currently is sitting in Rochester since Dec 4.
2. A package I shipped to go to Annandale VA, book rate, went Dec 7 to Cincinnati and departed Pittsburgh Dec 14 at 1am with no further update. Frankly I didn't expect much with book rate but it is moving faster than 1st class mail.
3. A prescription from a mail order Pharmacy in Cincinnati was delivered to the Cincinnati PO on Dec 7, where it remains at this time.

The USPS says this: ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

I do understand the dilemma that they face. People not visiting so mailing packages instead, but there seems to be some issues with priority.
Perhaps, a bit of an answer to my own post...my son called before I got this posted and he thinks the distribution of vaccines is contributing to this.
Just sent a present to my sister in Powell a couple of days ago from FL, so I hope it gets to her by Christmas. Maybe I should check the tracking.

If you are NE of C’bus, I would guess Westerville or New Albany (or maybe Galena).

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSU73

USPS is a major shit show. A lot depends on the route/distribution centers a package travels through. You should know that a lot of the progress/status scans that ordinarily take place just aren't being done. So while you might think that a package is sitting somewhere it actually might be on the road to you...or the Twilight Zone.

Maybe your package is on the Wolverine up to Annandale

Same here. Mailed a package on Dec 8. Got text that package left distribution center on Dec 9. Last message was on Dec 13 saying “Your package will be delivered late. Don’t worry it’s still on its way. Currently in transit to next facility “

No updates since then.

USPS is a major shit show. A lot depends on the route/distribution centers a package travels through. You should know that a lot of the progress/status scans that ordinarily take place just aren't being done. So while you might think that a package is sitting somewhere it actually might be on the road to you...or the Twilight Zone.
This so true. Back in 1999 I worked as a regional managers for a company that had a huge contract with USPS. Spent many hours/days at facilities all over the NE. It’s a complete shit show from the top down and Philly is regarded as the worst distribution hub in the country. USPS has been and will continue to be a “let’s just kick the can down the road before it implodes” scenario for decades. It is the largest “tail waging the dog” bureaucracy in the fed government.

neil-burn-warehouse-05-filtered-signed-sized.jpg

Just received a package today shipped priority from a couple states away mailed eight days ago. Normally that would be 2-3 days. So it's not just me

Reactions: PSU73
You should know that a lot of the progress/status scans that ordinarily take place just aren't being done.
That’s what I was thinking. What’s curious is that one of my packages had an update posted on the 12th for movement on the 4th. So, they either back dated it or didn’t download the handheld until then.

I've had problems for months. My credit score is currently 817 (it's always been excellent), but it dipped down more than 100 points after Mastercard put me in collection a few months back claiming I missed two consecutive payments. I never receiver the statement they claim they sent. Long story short, after a few letters and conversations, MC acknowledged that complaints like mine from longstanding, quality customers, are flooding in. They blamed CV19 for the mail disruptions and so do I.

Reactions: TheGLOV
It's been bad for months. Back in September I foolishly used USPS to ship a guitar from WA to NJ. It took 22 days and they had no idea where it was during shipping because it wasn't scanned properly at the Seattle distribution hub. It was insured so I filed a claim 10 days after the 'expected delivery' date, but thankfully it arrived safely. Every time I spoke with someone from the USPS they told me packages can take up to a month.

It's been bad for months. Back in September I foolishly used USPS to ship a guitar from WA to NJ. It took 22 days and they had no idea where it was during shipping because it wasn't scanned properly at the Seattle distribution hub. It was insured so I filed a claim 10 days after the 'expected delivery' date, but thankfully it arrived safely. Every time I spoke with someone from the USPS they told me packages can take up to a month.
Look up 3 you tube videos titled United broke my guitar.

I've had problems for months. My credit score is currently 817 (it's always been excellent), but it dipped down more than 100 points after Mastercard put me in collection a few months back claiming I missed two consecutive payments. I never receiver the statement they claim they sent. Long story short, after a few letters and conversations, MC acknowledged that complaints like mine from longstanding, quality customers, are flooding in. They blamed CV19 for the mail disruptions and so do I.

You still get paper statements? Download the app or get on their website.

Yes. I had two special order tools sent from Ohio via USPS (one for me, one a gift). One of the packages shipped on 11/30 and I received it yesterday. The other was a few days faster but still nuts coming from Ohio to PA. Both took circuitous routes as I followed the shipping updates.

At least both did finally arrive in an undamaged state.

You should be able to talk them out of that. I have always paid in full and on time. What you describe has happened to me a couple of times but I just called them up and explained that I've paid in full on time for decades and my payment was delayed in the mail. Both times they removed any late charges and didn't give me any issues. Try talking to them about it.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
EVERYBODY’S being overwhelmed right now....USPS, UPS, FEDEX. Many vendors are already posting warnings on their websites that they can’t guarantee delivery before Christmas and are showing delivery dates of late-Dec or early-Jan.

Reactions: GreatBasinNit
I have a package that, for some inexplicable reason, USPS sent to a small post office several counties away. It's sitting there and I have no idea what's happening to it. It went thru two local distribution centers just to get mis-routed. I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that I'll get it before Christmas. Art is right about USPS.

Not to change the subject, but I’ve found that online payments are the way to go. My BOA Bill Pay portal is a lifesaver.

You stopped one village short of naming it -> Sunbury.
I was going to mention Sunbury when I wrote Galena, but I figured you weren’t that far north. I lived in Powell for 18 years (and Columbus for 4 years in the early 60’s).

I mailed 5 parcels on Monday through USPS from NC to PA, NC and FL. 3 have already been delivered. All are expected to be delivered by Friday, USPS has been great for my deliveries. I had exceptional service in the post office and no doubt that UPS would have been much more expensive. USPS gets so much bad PR but no pun intended, they have over-delivered for my expectations.

My "mail-lady" is wonderful and she greatly appreciates the card and tip I give her every year.

Not to change the subject, but I’ve found that online payments are the way to go. My BOA Bill Pay portal is a lifesaver.
Yep. If anyone reads the fine print, they now tell you that you owe the money at the time it is due. The physical invoice is just a courtesy

I have a package that arrived at Lehigh Valley on 12/5, departed Lehigh Valley on 12/7 and has shown as IN TRANSIT ever since. Lehigh Valley is only 75 miles from my house.

Chambersburg USPS has a crap ton of people out. According to the chick working there, today, you say you were in contact with a Covid positive it’s 14 days off no questions asked so people are beating the hell out of that. She also said there’s tractor trailers sitting Harrisburg, completely full and no one to drive them.

Reactions: cment
I lived in Olde Sawmill, just South of Powell (& the St Joan of Arc church) from 1983-2012
Know it well. Off Smoky Row/South Liberty. Went to St. Joan of Arc (daughter had first communion there). Lived off Powell Rd. at the top of Powell hill in Deer Run development.

I have a package that has been in transit since 19 Nov. Pretty sure it has been sitting at distribution system.

Good thing is company said they will send a second in 10 days. I guess I can have two of the same item “in transit” for who knows how long. 🤦‍♂️

You should be able to talk them out of that. I have always paid in full and on time. What you describe has happened to me a couple of times but I just called them up and explained that I've paid in full on time for decades and my payment was delayed in the mail. Both times they removed any late charges and didn't give me any issues. Try talking to them about it.
Yes, thanks, I got my $40 dollar late fee back with a letter that I sent to Equifax which corrected the mistake. I believe they sent the bill and it was never delivered.

I ordered meds from the VA back on Dec 1st, they were processed and shipped on the 2nd. The VA pharmacy is in Newington, Ct. and I am north of Danbury, Ct. I still have not received them. I am now out of that med. It is one for which I am "service connected" so I get it for free but it is not very expensive so I could get my local PCP to issue a script to the local pharmacy and get a supply. But of the 16 meds I take each day some are very expensive and they are service connected meds at no charge so the VA needs to start fulfilling these orders earlier.

Reactions: PSU73 and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT