ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Two police officers killed in the line of duty in Columbus

Is there any suspicion of assassination? Or was it a tragedy of another type? Very sad.

not a lot of details have been released. there was a 911 call that came in, but the call ended before the call center could speak to the caller. So two police were sent out to investigate. They were shot and killed at the address they were sent to. The alleged shooter was shot, wounded, and taken into custody.

See the link below. From the article:

"(CNN) -- Two police officers died after being shot Saturday in Westerville, Ohio, a northern suburb of Columbus, authorities said.

A male suspect was wounded and hospitalized, police spokeswoman Christa Dickey said.

The officers were investigating after a caller dialed the 911 dispatch center and hung up. They came under fire when they responded to the address connected with the call."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/us/ohio-police-officers-killed/index.html

Terrible. It sounds like the officers were ambushed. Just awful.

R.I.P.

It seems like these types of things can happen anywhere. Westerville is where Ohio Gov. John Kasich resides.

The Dispatch is now reporting that the officers were shot entering an apartment. Neighbors interviewed said police had been to the apartment often. Not much else reported yet.

As always in such situations, a terrible tragedy. This one hit a little too close to home as my wife’s best friend’s soon to be son-in-law is a Westerville Police Officer. When we first heard the news it was worry, then relief (as we learned he wasn’t involved), then sadness and concern for those who were.

dbuck, Any word on why info on this has been so scant today?

According to the Columbus Dispatch website, the suspect is in critical condition at the hospital. From the general tenor of the story, it sounds like a domestic violence situation (many police calls to the specific residence). However, that isn't made explicit. Here is a link to the Dispatch. http://www.dispatch.com/news/201802...-two-slain-police-officers-suspect-in-custody

Also, quite often the police don't want to release details after a major incident so that they can be sure that any witnesses who come forward have actual information and are not simply repeating what they have heard on the news.

You have to sign in, but it isn't difficult. Checked the Cleveland Plain Dealer and it didn't have anything.

Last edited:
According to the Columbus Dispatch website, the suspect is in critical condition at the hospital. From the general tenor of the story, it sounds like a domestic violence situation (many police calls to the specific residence). However, that isn't made explicit. Here is a link to the Dispatch. http://www.dispatch.com/news/201802...-two-slain-police-officers-suspect-in-custody

Also, quite often the police don't want to release details after a major incident so that they can be sure that any witnesses who come forward have actual information and are not simply repeating what they have heard on the news.

You have to sign in, but it isn't difficult. Checked the Cleveland Plain Dealer and it didn't have anything.
Thx

As always in such situations, a terrible tragedy. This one hit a little too close to home as my wife’s best friend’s soon to be son-in-law is a Westerville Police Officer. When we first heard the news it was worry, then relief (as we learned he wasn’t involved), then sadness and concern for those who were.
The recent shooting of the US Marshall in Harrisburg hit home for my family with one of the other officers present. People wonder why some have strong feelings on the kneeling issue. When you are retired military and have several law enforcement officers in your family, you just might view the situation more personally. What these heroes risk everyday for relatively modest pay deserves our highest respect. Then you have guys being paid tens of millions to play a game openly contributing to the risk to these men and women. I can't fathom how one can side against those who risk their lives daily to protect all of us.

The recent shooting of the US Marshall in Harrisburg hit home for my family with one of the other officers present. People wonder why some have strong feelings on the kneeling issue. When you are retired military and have several law enforcement officers in your family, you just might view the situation more personally. What these heroes risk everyday for relatively modest pay deserves our highest respect. Then you have guys being paid tens of millions to play a game openly contributing to the risk to these men and women. I can't fathom how one can side against those who risk their lives daily to protect all of us.
They are kneeling in protest of police brutality, not in protest of police. Many reasonable folks have figured that out by now. But, you go right on ahead. Don't let me stop you.

If you think the kneeling has to do with the military, after this amount of time discussing the issue, you are simply being willfully ignorant.

And now, I am going to take it a step further, to show you how ridiculous your assumptive statement is:

Failing to support NFL Players who take a knee to protest police brutality, means, by inference, that you SUPPORT cops who shoot unarmed minorities and get away with it. You, POTUS and the rest of the unintelligent ilk. You state you view the situation of military more personally - I would hope that you do. But, so do those who have lost loved ones and close friends because a white cop felt justified in shooting a minority, for no reason at all. Or worse - because the reason was based on race.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
How is taking a knee "disrespect"?

And now, I am going to take it a step further, to show you how ridiculous your assumptive statement is:

Failing to support NFL Players who take a knee to protest police brutality, means, by inference, that you SUPPORT cops who shoot unarmed minorities and get away with it. You, POTUS and the rest of the unintelligent ilk. You state you view the situation of military more personally - I would hope that you do. But, so do those who have lost loved ones and close friends because a white cop felt justified in shooting a minority, for no reason at all. Or worse - because the reason was based on race.
White cop who just felt like shooting a minority? That doesn't exist. Every case that the liberal media tried so hard to highlight has been 1) in the line of duty immediately after or during a crime 2) usually the result of resisting arrest or in most cases the actual assault of the officer and 3) reported with wild inaccuracies by your media trying to convince you that white cops are doing what you posted.

But let's not delude ourselves here. You don't give a damn about police or black lives. If you did you would be smart enough to realize that you could save thousands more black lives if you instead supported the police instead of undermining them in places like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, LA, Harrisburg, Philly, and Columbus where they are being gunned down by minorities in weakly governed liberal strongholds. Your campaign is making it less safe for minorities because it is contributing to resisting arrest and less minority trust of police which puts both police and minorities at greater risk of serious incident in even routine interactions.

Do the math, like maybe 10 incidents that MSM has tried to make their case by misrepresenting facts on cops just shooting a minority because the felt like it (have any cops been found by a jury of citizens to have been in the wrong in any of these incidents?) OR a couple of thousand people gunned down in Chicago alone predominantly by minorities in just the past year? Where should your concern really be placed if you gave a damn about minority lives? Where might you instead put your emphasis if all you cared about were using minorities for their votes?

Lastly, as retired military who has served in multiple combat zones over the years under our flag, I do take it personally when others disrespect that same flag for any reason let alone a protest whereby part of your strategy is to intentionally offend people by doing it during the anthem.

They are kneeling in protest of police brutality, not in protest of police. Many reasonable folks have figured that out by now. But, you go right on ahead. Don't let me stop you.

Those that don't get it aren't trying. I am a vet and have many relatives in law enforcement and I and they are against profiling, criminal police behavior and police brutality. The jerkoffs in uniform put the good guys in uniform in greater risk. I know dozens of great police in my community and a couple racists morons and druggies that shake down drug addicts and steal and resale the drugs they confiscate. Those pricks put all the good ones at greater risk. Do the anti kneeing-bots ever get that part of the protest?

How is taking a knee "disrespect"?
Because it was intended to be. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. This is intentional disrespect whether you are too dishonest to admit it or not.

Because it was intended to be. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. This is intentional disrespect whether you are too dishonest to admit it or not.
So I'm dishonest now because I have a different point of view? Typical.

I'm a vet, and one of my kids is a state LEO in PA. Taking a knee in protest is one of the rights we swore to protect- the way I see it it's not nearly as disrespectful as some jabronie wearing a hat and talking during the anthem, or some assclown flying a confederate flag on his house or his car. We swore to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, and that doesn't mean we attack people for expressing themselves.

Those that don't get it aren't trying. I am a vet and have many relatives in law enforcement and I and they are against profiling, criminal police behavior and police brutality. The jerkoffs in uniform put the good guys in uniform in greater risk. I know dozens of great police in my community and a couple racists morons and druggies that shake down drug addicts and steal and resale the drugs they confiscate. Those pricks put all the good ones at greater risk. Do the anti kneeing-bots ever get that part of the protest?
What % of police do you believe are acting not in accordance with the law? What % of doctors? How about priests? NFL players? Should we protest all medical professionals because of Nassar or those overprescribing opiods intentionally?

What is or was your profession? Would it have a lesser % acting outside of the law than police? Should we protest you? Should we put a target on your back because a ridiculously low % of your field has acted illegally or with prejudice? Maybe we can concvince a significant segment of our population that you personally are out to get them?

So I'm dishonest now because I have a different point of view? Typical.

I'm a vet, and one of my kids is a state LEO in PA. Taking a knee in protest is one of the rights we swore to protect- the way I see it it's not nearly as disrespectful as some jabronie wearing a hat and talking during the anthem, or some assclown flying a confederate flag on his house or his car. We swore to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, and that doesn't mean we attack people for expressing themselves.
No, you are dishonest because you know why they chose to kneel during the anthem as stated by Kaepernick and still claim that it is not out of disrespect. Just as I posted, not for the reason you dishonestly just attempted to ascribe to me.

If you truly have a kid that is a state LEO, then you are contributing to making them less safe in execution of their duties. I believe in your kid and their peers in uniform. It would be nice if you did.

No, you are dishonest because you know why they chose to kneel during the anthem as stated by Kaepernick and still claim that it is not out of disrespect. Just as I posted, not for the reason you dishonestly just attempted to ascribe to me.

If you truly have a kid that is a state LEO, then you are contributing to making them less safe in execution of their duties.
If he had stood and shouted something during the anthem that would be disrespect. He silently took a knee and the fact that you don't agree with his POV doesn't make such a silent protest disrespect. Maybe you would prefer to ignore the fact that we do still have a race problem in this country, but that won't make it go away. An honest conversation about it just might help.

And yeah, I DO have a kid who is a state LEO, and if respecting the Bill of Rights makes her less safe on her job (and I don't believe that it does), then we've lost what this country is supposed to stand for.

BTW- Calling people you disagree with "dishonest" doesn't make you right- it just makes you look like an asshole.

Last edited:
If he had stood and shouted something during the anthem that would be disrespect. He silently took a knee and the fact that you don't agree with his POV doesn't make such a silent protest disrespect. Maybe you would prefer to ignore the fact that we do still have a race problem in this country, but that won't make it go away. An honest conversation about it just might help.

And yeah, I DO have a kid who is a state LEO, and if respecting the Bill of Rights makes her less safe on her job (and I don't believe that it does), then we've lost what this country is supposed to stand for.

BTW- Calling people you disagree with "dishonest" doesn't make you right- it just makes you look like an asshole.
Again, Kaepernick declared that his action was in protest of our Nation. Do you not believe him? He admitted that kneeling in silence was to disrespect the US flag.

Yes, race is still a problem, mostly for political reasons many want to divide us by it. The truth is that minority unemployment has now hit an alltime low, we have elected a black man to our highest office, and minority enrollment in higher education is also at a record high. Unfortunately so is minority killings of minorities in our liberal cities. We have to support LE if we ever want to improve that. We also need minority males to be involved after conception. We also need those families to embrace education like asian and indian minorities have.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Don't believe for a single second that you know multiple cops who shake down drug dealers and resell the drugs. Not for a second. But, if you do, then shame on you for doing nothing to stop them. Looks like you're taking a knee as well. And it's about as effective as the NFL players.
Seems like you have misperceived the intent of his comment.

Last edited:
What % of police do you believe are acting not in accordance with the law? What % of doctors? How about priests? NFL players? Should we protest all medical professionals because of Nassar or those overprescribing opiods intentionally?

What is or was your profession? Would it have a lesser % acting outside of the law than police? Should we protest you? Should we put a target on your back because a ridiculously low % of your field has acted illegally or with prejudice? Maybe we can convince a significant segment of our population that you personally are out to get them?

I am sure of the meaning and relevance of your your rambling rant and it's unconnectable sentences and questions. But here goes: I was a hospitalman in the Navy assigned to a Marine Corp Unit. I got shot at without carrying a weapon. Once out of the service, I worked as a systems developer both for firms in and outside the US with various purposes.

Police performance varies by location and administration Last year they fired two of the police officers in our county and four in our small town for different matters. A group was caught on a convenience store surveillance video taking drugs from thugs that somehow did not end up being returned to the county..... and later they were caught on video selling those drugs. The other guys were also caught on surveillance video at a carwash that was known to be a druggie night time party hang out. These fine examples of protect and serve were letting the partiers off as long as the females in attendance gave them blow jobs. The car wash whose trash receptacles were filled with syringes and other evidence was finally torn down.

The police are part of the government, if you haven't noticed, and your assertions that all police officers have been acquitted of outright racially motivated acts of violence is pure BS. People do protest Medical doctors in ways that are appropriate to where they work and through their employer. That makes sense.

Somehow you reason that wealthy people that happen to play sports should be exempted their constitutional rights to free speech. Which part disqualifies them in your mind: their predominant color; the fact that the have wealth; the fact that they are speaking for the people from the culture of their origin that have little money or voice?

When a black surgeon is stopped driving his Lexis enroute to do emergency lung surgery on my son because of nothing more than racial profiling and is late prepping for that surgery, whose fing rights are violated then dip shit? Ask my son then wait the 15 minutes it takes him to respond now to simple questions.....

You are an absolutist, While I am not. I served my country and it's constitution not because I was just born here but because I was proud of the United States constitution It's amendments (including the very first amendment) and those things that separated my from a few other countries that have nothing to worship than a flag. You may worship the flag if you wish, it is your prerogative to do so. I, however will always place our constitutional rights (What the flag is supposed to represent) first and foremost over any all flags.

Here's one for ya...... Free Speech, Love it or Leave it!

Prayer and in my thoughts, cincy.

Feel terrible for these guys and their families. Worry about the good folks in the business and just general citizens caught in the crossfire of the crazies of our times. All good people matter..... somehow that needs to be driven home in this society at this time in all sectors.

Reactions: step.eng69
One point I will make about this--as I do not want to go political here. The situation stemmed from a domestic dispute. That's high on the list, I've been told, about what officers worry about. It is extremely unpredictable due to the emotions involved. And politics cannot do much about it.

And I ran into more friends at church this morning who knew at least one of the officers involved. Westerville is a largish suburb but still has a bit of that small town feel. It's hit pretty hard here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT