ADVERTISEMENT

OT: True Crime Scranton

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
During Covid, I wasn’t traveling to as many games as I normally did so I took up writing about crimes that took place in my hometown of Scranton. I research the crimes and combine it with some genealogy research to add to the stories.

I previously posted about a couple of them here but wanted to share the link to all of the stories.

Feel free to check it out. Either bookmark the site or subscribe to the blog.

MV5BM2IzNzg3MjctOTYwOS00YTViLWEwYmQtODc2ZjAxZGQ4NzJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
During Covid, I wasn’t traveling to as many games as I normally did so I took up writing about crimes that took place in my hometown of Scranton. I research the crimes and combine it with some genealogy research to add to the stories.

I previously posted about a couple of them here but wanted to share the link to all of the stories.

Feel free to check it out. Either bookmark the site or subscribe to the blog.

My cousin George was part of the Scranton mob. He lived with the same woman until she died.

He was always in suit and tie, white shirt and cuff links. He liked big Oldsmobile convertibles.

I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre North End, my wife in south Wilkes-Barre. The motto they like to use in Wyoming Valley is the Valley with a heart. In 2008, The Times-Leader published a book celebrating their 100 th anniversary with the major news stories of the past 100 years. Having a keen interest in history, I started reading it. While I was familiar with the stories from the 60's to today, I took an interest in reading about what had happened before I was born. To my shock and amazement, I found a great deal of stories about murder, political graft and kickbacks, and a good deal of union violence. There was a story about how they celebrated the building and opening of the Market St bridge and the next year, there was a report that the county commissioners were all indicted for taking bribes. There were several stories about bombings including one on a Good Friday that killed a labor leader and his 4 year old son. It amazes me that they try to paint this area as love and sweetness and the actual history was written knee deep in blood and corruption.

I remember my Uncle calling politician, Dan Flood by the name of Snidely Whiplash, because of his handlebar mustache and looking like a crook.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre North End, my wife in south Wilkes-Barre. The motto they like to use in Wyoming Valley is the Valley with a heart. In 2008, The Times-Leader published a book celebrating their 100 th anniversary with the major news stories of the past 100 years. Having a keen interest in history, I started reading it. While I was familiar with the stories from the 60's to today, I took an interest in reading about what had happened before I was born. To my shock and amazement, I found a great deal of stories about murder, political graft and kickbacks, and a good deal of union violence. There was a story about how they celebrated the building and opening of the Market St bridge and the next year, there was a report that the county commissioners were all indicted for taking bribes. There were several stories about bombings including one on a Good Friday that killed a labor leader and his 4 year old son. It amazes me that they try to paint this area as love and sweetness and the actual history was written knee deep in blood and corruption.
That's the same the world over. NEPA is still a down-home family centered area compared to most.

My latest post.

The Old West wasn't the only place trains were robbed! A bandit, inspired by the moving picture, "The Great Train Robbery", pulls off a heist in Scranton in 1911.

Let's not forget the Luzerne Cty "Cash for Kids" scandal - one of the most mind-bogglingly twisted crime schemes of all time. Truly in the "can't make this sh!t up" category.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
My latest post on Joanne Williams, a 22-year-old that disappeared in 1978 and was never found. Years later, she was thought to be a victim of a serial rapist/murderer but investigators could never build enough evidence.

Last edited:
My cousin George was part of the Scranton mob. He lived with the same woman until she died.

He was always in suit and tie, white shirt and cuff links. He liked big Oldsmobile convertibles.
Westcoast is an ass and troll.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the area was really built up by coal mining and its supporting industries 100 years ago (+/-).

Mining makes tons of money and is heavily unionized. Both of which attract violence and corruption. Back then there also seemed to be a very rapid and somewhat accepted/expected escalation to violence for and against unions.

Just look at the history of mining and steel unions in PA.

I remember my Uncle calling politician, Dan Flood by the name of Snidely Whiplash, because of his handlebar mustache and looking like a crook.
I remember Dan showing up through a snow storm to be at my Grandfather’s (Police Chief) retirement dinner at the Mayfair Supper Club. He was a total gentleman that evening as he was every time I met him. He made sure we took a picture with him, Sr., Jr., and III. My Dad, Jr. is still here at 93 years 5 months. He could tell lots of Dan Flood stories, but they’re all positive, so you wouldn’t want to hear them.

I remember Dan showing up through a snow storm to be at my Grandfather’s (Police Chief) retirement dinner at the Mayfair Supper Club. He was a total gentleman that evening as he was every time I met him. He made sure we took a picture with him, Sr., Jr., and III. My Dad, Jr. is still here at 93 years 5 months. He could tell lots of Dan Flood stories, but they’re all positive, so you wouldn’t want to hear them.
As I have gotten older and wiser, I have come to see that one story has two sides to it. The difference is whose ox you want to see gored. Dan Flood may have ethically broken some laws, but the Wilkes-Barre/ Wyoming Valley area area have slipped into what it is now a lot sooner.

Reactions: step.eng69
Let's not forget the Luzerne Cty "Cash for Kids" scandal - one of the most mind-bogglingly twisted crime schemes of all time. Truly in the "can't make this sh!t up" category.
Always has and probably always will be a pay to play valley.

Always has and probably always will be a pay to play valley.
I know a teacher who had a terrific education This teacher could not get a full time teaching job to save their life. Finally, it took $2,000 to get the full time job. This teacher is now retired, but the inability to get a full time job caused lots of problems in their life.

My latest post on 14-year-old Joan Marie Dymond of Wilkes Barre. She disappeared in 1969. Part of her remains were found in Nanticoke in 2012 but they weren’t identified as Joan until Oct 2022.

Now, police say she was murdered and an investigation is underway.

Check out my recap of the sequence of events.

Excellent writing! Very interesting and well researched stories. It's amazing you provide this much detail, especially on the older cases.

I personally like your written stories with period photos, articles, and maps best. The few video cases I watched left me confused. You used stock web photos that didn't mesh with the time period of the case. When I watched the one about the two brothers being shot you used contemporary images at the start of the video, but the case was from the early 1900's. Also, are you doing the voice over or is that computer generated? Might be more effective if you narrated.....if that's you my apologies. I'm not trying to be overly critical because your research and writing is top notch. Just wanted to provide a few constructive comments. Keep up the great work!

Excellent writing! Very interesting and well researched stories. It's amazing you provide this much detail, especially on the older cases.

I personally like your written stories with period photos, articles, and maps best. The few video cases I watched left me confused. You used stock web photos that didn't mesh with the time period of the case. When I watched the one about the two brothers being shot you used contemporary images at the start of the video, but the case was from the early 1900's. Also, are you doing the voice over or is that computer generated? Might be more effective if you narrated.....if that's you my apologies. I'm not trying to be overly critical because your research and writing is top notch. Just wanted to provide a few constructive comments. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the great feedback. Always interested in improving. The videos were my weak attempt to convert these to what would likely be a more consumable media. The voice is an AI voice and I used a guy on Fiverr to create them. I’m not happy and your comments are spot on.

As for the detail, I think we’re often only interested in the highlights, but with these stories I try to transport you back in time and tell a broader story and incorporate Ancestry research as well. Each nugget I find leads me down another rat hole.

Glad you enjoy.

Last edited:
There was clear voter fraud. The election officials were prosecuted and sentenced but no charges against Rodham. It makes sense because he personally didn’t commit the fraud, but he was clearly the beneficiary of it, even though they lost.
Quickly scanned the entire stream, nothing about the origin of the biggest crime family of them all.

Two of my latest posts...

In 1875, Alcohol fuels a fight over a girl that ends in murder.
https://truecrimenepa.wordpress.com/2023/09/22/murder-in-boone-hill/

A newly opened IBM Building in 1964 is the location for a deadly robbery gone wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT