ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Trout season in PA

We have a baseball tournament this weekend.

But.....last weekend for mentor day

Son caught a 25 and a 15 Pali. Taxidermist fee is >$500 but the big fish has the nicest colors.

Bunch of rainbows too and it was snowing and sleeting all day.

Caught the palis on big pine between Gaines and galeton

Good luck everyone

For those of you who are partaking in Pennsylvanias First Day of Trout Season holiday... I want to wish you good luck and stay safe. Should be a decent day for weather, at least in Potter County.
I’m doing what I’ve done every year for the past decade, bought new gear, tackle etc… Will be pumped tonight to go then when alarm goes off in the morning or I wake to pee (whichever comes first) I’ll shut the alarm off and go back to bed.

For those of you who are partaking in Pennsylvanias First Day of Trout Season holiday... I want to wish you good luck and stay safe. Should be a decent day for weather, at least in Potter County.
What stream will you be fishing tomorrow? I grew up in Cameron County and have fished a bunch of different streams in Potter. Tomorrow I plan on doing some perch fishing on the bay up here in Erie.

What's the best way to cook fresh trout? 🫕🐟:cool:
Don't listen to the nay sayers!!! Trout is fabulous.
1. Gut the fish. Leave head on.
2. Sprinkle the inside with a little "Slap ya Mama".
3. Squirt a little lemon juice inside.
4. Bread the outside with milk and bread crumbs (not necessary).
5. Put oil in fry pan and heat to high.
6. Place trout into pan. Cook about 4 minutes per side.
DELICIOUS!!!!!! 😋😋🤭

Damn, I just had 2 tins of sardines, homemade sourdough, pepper cheese, and French mustard.

Reactions: LHavenlion
What's the best way to cook fresh trout? 🫕🐟:cool:
Boneless, skinless fillets. Breaded and deep fried. But I'm cooking 60+ trout for 20 or so people.

At home I would grill them or something with lemon and butter. You have to get the skin off though. It gets rid of the strong taste. They would probably mild up even more if soaked in buttermilk, but I haven't tried it.

Boneless, skinless fillets. Breaded and deep fried. But I'm cooking 60+ trout for 20 or so people.

At home I would grill them or something with lemon and butter. You have to get the skin off though. It gets rid of the strong taste. They would probably mild up even more if soaked in buttermilk, but I haven't tried it.

Start will Steelhead Trout.....
Forget the rest.

Couple ways we do our trout

At the campfire: My cousin will clean and take the skin/head off. Then hell take his vegetables/butter/seasons cover the fish and wrap in tin foil and sit over the fire. when done the bones pull right out and he hands you his hobo surprise. Cold beers, camp fire and beautiful pine creek in the background. Not much better.

At the Cabin: clean and fillet the trout. then pan fry them in seasons and butter. Separate pans/pots make your fried potatoes/onions, canned stewed tomatoes and mac and cheese. Not much better eating. Though it does make a mess

At home: Ill clean and fillet the trout. Then the wife will broil them your typical way. Not all that exciting.

Back in the day my mom would bread them crack crumbs, fry them and just add tartar sauce.

Weve been canning our salmon the last 2 years and then my wife has been make all kinds of things from it. Patties and soups so far. Its freaking great. You catch so many and so big of fish and they sometimes would go to waste. By canning them you dont waste any and the no freezer taste.

Again good luck to all the trout fishermen/ladies out there this weekend!

Reactions: Lb4097
I'm in South Carolina right now versus being at home in Potter County, but never really had much time for opening day even when I am or was home. Good luck to those of you who will be out, I'll be fly fishing in the mountains of SC.

Couple ways we do our trout

At the campfire: My cousin will clean and take the skin/head off. Then hell take his vegetables/butter/seasons cover the fish and wrap in tin foil and sit over the fire. when done the bones pull right out and he hands you his hobo surprise. Cold beers, camp fire and beautiful pine creek in the background. Not much better.

At the Cabin: clean and fillet the trout. then pan fry them in seasons and butter. Separate pans/pots make your fried potatoes/onions, canned stewed tomatoes and mac and cheese. Not much better eating. Though it does make a mess

At home: Ill clean and fillet the trout. Then the wife will broil them your typical way. Not all that exciting.

Back in the day my mom would bread them crack crumbs, fry them and just add tartar sauce.

Weve been canning our salmon the last 2 years and then my wife has been make all kinds of things from it. Patties and soups so far. Its freaking great. You catch so many and so big of fish and they sometimes would go to waste. By canning them you dont waste any and the no freezer taste.

Again good luck to all the trout fishermen/ladies out there this weekend!
At the cabin is the best. Best memories as well.

We have a baseball tournament this weekend.

But.....last weekend for mentor day

Son caught a 25 and a 15 Pali. Taxidermist fee is >$500 but the big fish has the nicest colors.

Bunch of rainbows too and it was snowing and sleeting all day.

Caught the palis on big pine between Gaines and galeton

Good luck everyone
Wow congrats. I'm jealous. What he catch them on?

Reactions: dunkej01
There is only one. White perch are bass.
Yea, I always forget that because in the Chesapeake white perch are simply called perch. Yellow perch are called yellow perch. I'm still wondering what Nashville is referring to above.

Wow congrats. I'm jealous. What he catch them on?
wax worms for my son.

a couple of other kids there with fly rods were using woolly buggers and they were crushing it to. I also think they were using a small short red plastic worm and an egg like i have seen used for steal head.

Reactions: slaterun
Yea, I always forget that because in the Chesapeake white perch are simply called perch. Yellow perch are called yellow perch. I'm still wondering what Nashville is referring to above.
I'm hoping yellow perch.
The best you can get are in Port Dover, ON Canada.

wax worms for my son.

a couple of other kids there with fly rods were using woolly buggers and they were crushing it to. I also think they were using a small short red plastic worm and an egg like i have seen used for steal head.
Thank you!

Thank you!
You've been here a while. I damn near grew up at Wolfe's General Store. That's when the Waterville Hotel was actually good. Next door was an awesome fly shop, McConnell. Those were the days. Do the old folks still run Wolfe's?

Reactions: diggerpup
You've been here a while. I damn near grew up at Wolfe's General Store. That's when the Waterville Hotel was actually good. Next door was an awesome fly shop, McConnell. Those were the days. Do the old folks still run Wolfe's?
Yeah, I’ve been on the board for awhile; mostly just lurk and learn from those far more knowledgeable about wrestling (and pasta) than me. I wish I grew up near Slate Run. I grew up outside of Philly in Swarthmore, but my dad grew up in Williamsport. We’d go up there every summer, and we’d typically hit Slate Run and/or Pine Creek near Tiadaghton, as well as the Loyalsock. Slate Run/Pine creek remain some of my favorite places to fish, which is why I chose it for handle. Am in St. Louis now, where the fishing is limited, but better than expected. Was back in Slate Run area a year ago this month for first time in 30+ years. It’s beautiful. Would like to take a few weeks to a month and rent a cabin in that general area and just fish, but work is not too cooperative right now.

wax worms for my son.

I got around 2 dozen today. Mostly after lunch. Morning, the fish were lethargic and I was cold too. Caught most of mine on either an Adam's wet fly or a pheasant tail soft hackle. Caught a couple on small streamers and a few on olive or blue wooly buggers.

Great day. Our group kept 57 trout and threw back at least twice that many.

Reports I'm getting back are similar. Fishing was slow in the morning and needed a little sun to get the bite on.

For me back to day 2 of baseball and chasing a trophy.

Any of you ever fish the Patuxent river in Maryland? The state stocks it and I'm reading articles that indicate some nice fishing

Reactions: PAgeologist
Before we were married, I took pre-Mrspa to camp at Little Pine SP. I took my fly rod and a bait caster for her. Walked down to the water below the dam, and I put a worm in for her, cast it into a nice-looking spot, handed her the rod, and picked up my fly rod.

I took about ten steps down the creek, and I hear, "Ahhh, Doug!!" I turned around and her rod was bent in half, and she was reeling as fast as she could. By the time I made it back to her, she had a beautiful rainbow hanging in the air.

So, I took the fish off, released it, re-baited the hook, while explaining to her to leave the fish in the water next time, until I could net it. I cast back in, handed her the rod and got about the same distance. "Ahhhh, Doug!!" Same thing, except this was a nicer rainbow, I think 21".

I packed up my stuff, grabbed the fish, and headed back to the campsite. And, I've never taken her fishing again, except when taking my kids.

ADVERTISEMENT