ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trouble at MSU Softball (link)

A rather strange story from today's Detroit News whereby a senior player allegedly made some not so kind remarks about the team's lack of success off the record. Apparently in retaliation, an assistant coach throws at her during batting practice on two separate occasions.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ce-msu-investigate-softball-coaches/71104834/
Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to college athletics, but I guess that's pretty much true of life in general. I guess the biggest thing today is instant access to stories from around the world. Before the internet, this kind of stuff probably went on, but you never knew it because nearly all news was local. That said, this is certainly an interesting story and one I'll follow to see how it plays out.

The moral of the story is when a reporter says something is off the record it really isn't.

Those coaches should be fired immediately and marks put on their record so they can never coach again. Itsno wonder they suck with coaching like that. Those coaches have lost the team at this point.

The moral of the story is when a reporter says something is off the record it really isn't.
Technically, off the record means the reporter is not going to print that quote. No evidence that the reporter reneged on that.

Nothing said off the record prevents a reporter from trying to get somebody else to go on the record, and that is probably what happened here.

"Alyssa McBride, a 22-year-old senior outfielder from Mattawan, said she was hit by two pitches during batting practice near the end of the season. She felt both pitches were aimed at her head, she said. One deeply bruised her left arm and the other struck her wrist."

So, the coach aims for the head and hits the arm and wrist? No wonder they had the record they do.

The Spartan softball head coach has been there since 1994 and enjoyed some notable success earlier in her tenure, but the last several seasons have been bad. I'm a little surprised she hasn't been deposed by now, but this incident may prod the Spartan AD to take action.

As a left handed batter she tried to dodge the pitch at her head and used her arms as a shield. Pretty standard stuff for softball players. So just because she got hit in the arm doesn't mean the coach wasn't aiming for the head.
And just so you know a softball coming in at 65 mph is equivalent to a baseball at 92 mph. You have a split second to get out of the way.
Coaches should be fired immediately

ADVERTISEMENT