ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Treadmills for Runners

ThePennsyOracle

Oct 9, 2015
As we approach winter and not wanting to go the gym, the wife and I are in the market for a home treadmill.

We definitely need to get back in shape, however, at peak shape, we ran roughly 200mi/month between the two of us. I have a "wide stance" (no, I'm not Larry Craig) so the 17" tread variety is not nearly enough. While my wet dream treadmill is this one from Life Fitness, my wife would shoot me if I spent that much.

• I'm looking to get one below $4,000, (ideally less than $3,000 according to the wife) but I do need one that can take some abuse--we do a lot of incline, HIIT, etc.
  • Am willing to be "flexible" with budget depending on features.
  • Shock absorption is therefore important.
  • Don't care about one having a large or integrated screen because I have a 32" HDTV sitting unused that I could mount.
  • Don't care about live fitness classes (i.e. iFit, Peloton).
  • We are both obsessive stat trackers, so an awesome feature would be some sort of Apple Watch integration.
  • Space/folding is not a concern
At the same time, while I don't care about a large/integrated screen or live fitness classes, I can't seem to find treadmills with 20-22" treads and 58-60" or so running area that don't have those things. Ones I'm considering are:

• Nordic Track Commercial series, specifically the 2950 or the x22i, though I'm not sure what the difference really is.
  • Peloton Tread+, because of the cushioning, running surface, and adjustment knobs
  • Life Fitness T3 though it is out of stock

As we approach winter and not wanting to go the gym, the wife and I are in the market for a home treadmill.

We definitely need to get back in shape, however, at peak shape, we ran roughly 200mi/month between the two of us. I have a "wide stance" (no, I'm not Larry Craig) so the 17" tread variety is not nearly enough. While my wet dream treadmill is this one from Life Fitness, my wife would shoot me if I spent that much.

• I'm looking to get one below $4,000, (ideally less than $3,000 according to the wife) but I do need one that can take some abuse--we do a lot of incline, HIIT, etc.
  • Don't care about one having a large or integrated screen because I have a 32" HDTV sitting unused that I could mount.
  • We are both obsessive stat trackers, so an awesome feature would be some sort of Apple Watch integration.
At the same time, while I don't care about a large/integrated screen or live fitness classes, I can't seem to find treadmills with 20-22" treads and 58-60" or so running area that don't have those things. Ones I'm considering are:

• Nordic Track Commercial series, specifically the 2950 or the x22i, though I'm not sure what the difference really is.
  • Peloton Tread+, because of the cushioning, running surface, and adjustment knobs
If you're not concerned with screen size, you may want to consider the Nordic Track Commercial 2450. Pro tip: opt for the warranty in perpetuity.

one you may not have heard of, but gets good reviews is Smooth Fitness. They sell direct to the consumer. I have one of their elliptical, its 13 yrs old and works like the day I bought it.

here is one review for their basic model, you can search around for some others

Last edited:
Check out Pro-Form. When I did the research a few years ago, I found that brand to be the best bang for my buck. It's not the best treadmill I've ever used, but there's also no way I'm ever dropping $5,000+ on one.

Also for your consideration (because you mentioned cushioning): Octane makes a runner's elliptical that is a decent approximation of a run and works well as a compliment to treadmill & pavement training. The Zero Runner models can be viewed at this link.

Very important: if you elect to purchase a Zero Runner, make absolutely certain that the machine is perfectly stable upon installation.

FreeMotion USA Reflex t11.3

This is the one used at OrangeTheory and the best I have ever used.
I have a long stride and it works for that too.

New it's probably steep.

LdN

• Am willing to be "flexible" with budget depending on features

You might consider the Gambit-1920. These lovely ladies will attest to its quality.
If interested, have your people call my people.

1Knpnvd.jpg

The refurbished ones are about 2500.
I imagine they are recycled from gyms.

Not much to a treadmill so may be an option.

LdN
True--I never gave refurbished models a thought for some reason. My local gym doesn't take great care of its treadmills so I assumed they were trashed upon hitting their "service life."

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Ditch the treadmill. Pump some iron at high intensity to failure. Being physically strong is way more important to your overall health.

Ditch the treadmill. Pump some iron at high intensity to failure. Being physically strong is way more important to your overall health.
I do like to run, but frankly too many people run too much. Serious weight work puts my heart closer to its breaking point than fast running. The weights also raise your BMR so you make more of your idle time. If you need to run 5+ miles/day to keep weight off you likely need a diet adjustment.

Anyway, weights and moderate amounts of intense running are great complements.

I have an True compact model that I picked up with only a couple dozen hours on it, and it’s been fine. I would love to have a more powerful motor that could get speed changes to be faster for interval runs, and I’d love to have a machine that could accommodate 15-16 mph running, but I don’t have an extra 12-15” of space. In most months I can run sprints on field turf to get the higher turnover work. At age 55 I don’t need to overdo that component anyway.

Last edited:
I do like to run, but frankly too many people run too much. Serious weight work puts my heart closer to its breaking point than fast running. The weights also raise your BMR so you make more of your idle time. If you need to run 5+ miles/day to keep weight off you likely need a diet adjustment.

Anyway, weights and moderate amounts of intense running are great complements.

I have an True compact model that I picked up with only a couple dozen hours on it, and it’s been fine. I would love to have a more powerful motor that could get speed changes to be faster for interval runs, and I’d love to have a machine that could accommodate 15-16 mph running, but I don’t have an extra 12-15” of space. In most months I can run sprints on field turf to get the higher turnover work. At age 55 I don’t need to overdo that component anyway.

I lost >200lbs walking and later running, so it works for me.

To slightly hijack thread, anyone have recommendations for the all-in-one workout weight station cable machines? I know it seems all the big brands have their versions of them. Thanks.

To slightly hijack thread, anyone have recommendations for the all-in-one workout weight station cable machines? I know it seems all the big brands have their versions of them. Thanks.

I came within one click of buying the Tonal back in April. If I was going to replace the gym with something this would be it. I ended up waiting and luckily the gyms opened up in Jersey about 2 weeks ago so I was able to start back. There’s a sticker shock for the price but I really liked the setup and range of exercise. 200lbs resistance could be a bit of a issue if you like to lift heavy but I think anything more would probably be cause for concern to rip the unit right off the wall!

I bought by wife a NordicTrack 1750 Commercial for Xmas. She loves it as well as the iFit classes. The thing is a tank and has the large running surface. The X series from NordicTrack goes up to 40 degree incline, the commercial series is a more traditional treadmill with a 15 degree incline. The Commercial series are known for a springy, low impact surface.

Another option is look at the auction sites such as Rasmus- lots of Fitness Clubs are closing and are auctioning off equipment. Good way to get a fitness club level treadmill at a good price.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I'd look at a used SOLE if you can find one. They're built much better than any of the multiple junk brands from ProForm / Nordictrack etc If you order new, be prepared to wait 30+ days for delivery.

Check out the Spirit fitness CT800. Great machine at a reasonable price for a commercial machine. Wide track at 22”. All of the bells and whistles but at better price. Got mine at fitness superstore.

I like the TRUE brand. Have had one for 15 years and still going strong. Was my "go to" training during bad weather through 35 marathons and 3 Ultra marathons.

I run regularly on the treadmill during the winter, but I really missed running in the park with my wife. It took us a long time to choose a treadmill because most of them were too expensive. But I finally bought two for the price of one. I found them on this site, sportsgearmetry.com, where we found lots of recommendations regarding sports equipment. I don't think it's worth spending too much on a treadmill. The more expensive ones may have more features, but we don't need them.

Last edited:
I’ve always much preferred running out in the elements as opposed to using a treadmill regardless of what time of the year it is.

ADVERTISEMENT