ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Traveling to Altanta and a little apprehensive about the airport...

BBrown

Jul 27, 2001
Baltimore, MD
any tips or suggestions for getting through it with little hassle? (my first time there)
I'll be traveling Southwest on Sunday and then back to Baltimore on Fri.
Thanks.

Been through a hundred times, don't sweat it. You can be from concourse A to E in 10 minutes using the trains. I personally never minded the place much....crowded and busy but easy to navigate.

Afternoon storms will make everything late though.

When was the last time you were here, if ever?

Over the last few years they moved the rental car to off site with a elevated rail that runs between the terminal, rental car return and a convention center/hotel complex near the airport. They've added new security lines pretty much any place they could so security has gotten better in the last few years. There has been some improvements to the C & D terminals so the food is better. There is a new international terminal and an extension of the people mover but that shouldn't affect you. General construction in the airport. Some major construction somewhat affecting the traffic flow near the terminal. That hasn't affected me so far but I'm never there on a Friday afternoon except to leave, but of you go to rental car return that shouldn't affect you.

In general, traffic does really suck on a Friday afternoon so give yourself lots of time and avoid 75/85 through the city if possible on Friday. If you're staying somewhere that you don't need a car I would recommend that you use a cab to get to your hotel on Sunday and take Marta (local subway) to get back to the airport to avoid that traffic nightmare.

Hope this helps and if there are any specific questions just post them and I'll respond next time I see them.

Reactions: BBrown
When was the last time you were here, if ever?

Over the last few years they moved the rental car to off site with a elevated rail that runs between the terminal, rental car return and a convention center/hotel complex near the airport. They've added new security lines pretty much any place they could so security has gotten better in the last few years. There has been some improvements to the C & D terminals so the food is better. There is a new international terminal and an extension of the people mover but that shouldn't affect you. General construction in the airport. Some major construction somewhat affecting the traffic flow near the terminal. That hasn't affected me so far but I'm never there on a Friday afternoon except to leave, but of you go to rental car return that shouldn't affect you.

In general, traffic does really suck on a Friday afternoon so give yourself lots of time and avoid 75/85 through the city if possible on Friday. If you're staying somewhere that you don't need a car I would recommend that you use a cab to get to your hotel on Sunday and take Marta (local subway) to get back to the airport to avoid that traffic nightmare.

Hope this helps and if there are any specific questions just post them and I'll respond next time I see them.

Thanks man, thats awesome info.
I've never been to Hartsfield before so thats one of the reasons I'm a little nervous. Been in and out of BWI tons of times and thats a pretty easy airport. Mostly flown through Denver, San Diego, Dallas, Phoenix, Tucson, Alba.
I'm not doing a car rental I'm getting a shuttle service to the Hotel and back...in Alpharetta.

Your first problem is flying Southwest rather than Delta, since this is the Corporate headquarters of Delta and they get preferred treatment. But the crowd of people is just like any other airport, and the underground trains are excellent -- ground transport on the local highways......well, that is another story. Sunday should not be bad, but give yourself enough time on Friday to navigate the backups.

Hartsfield is big but overall a pretty decent airport and easy enough to get around. As mentioned, the bigger issue in ATL is the horrible traffic. Most times it seems worse than Washington or NYC traffic. The folks I work with when I've been there warned me about it and they were right.

If you ever have time to kill at Hartsfield and are traveling thru Terminal A, you absolutely have to try this place:

http://www.varasanos.com/

Absolutely a Top 10 Pizza joint in my book! I'll sometimes make sure I have a 1.5 hour layover if needing to travel thru Atlanta just to make time to stop into Varasano's....

its a snap...probably the easiest big airport to get around in. All of the concourses are connected via a train. The concourses are marked A, B, C, D, E & T (IIRC). Its lineal so that if you land on C and need to get to A or E you can do so by hoping the train. the trains are clearly marked as to where they are going to. They also go to baggage claim. Just follow the signs to Baggage Claim and Ground Transportation (if you check bags and/or rent a car).

Just follow the signs...easy-peasy.

Your first problem is flying Southwest rather than Delta, since this is the Corporate headquarters of Delta and they get preferred treatment. But the crowd of people is just like any other airport, and the underground trains are excellent -- ground transport on the local highways......well, that is another story. Sunday should not be bad, but give yourself enough time on Friday to navigate the backups.

Thanks. I was warned by the Hotel about the traffic so I made arrangements to leave well ahead of my departure time. Lets just say
if it takes me more than 2hrs to get from Alpharetta to the Airport I should still be ok. LOL.

I'm with Ranger Dan... Its an airport, what's the big deal? Plus it sounds like you're an experienced traveler. An airport is an airport, at least in this country. Its not like you're flying to a remote airstrip in Africa. Give yourself plenty of time, read the signs, ask for help if you need it. You'll be fine. I never heard of someone who has flown before being worried about a particular airport. Very strange.

Retsio is right. I know you probably tried to save money by flying Southwest, but the Atlanta airport is all about Delta. Despite that, the inside transport system here is unsurpassed by any other airport I have been to, and I have travelled most places in the world. Therefore, as others stated, your issue will be getting to and from Alpharetta from the airport, but if you have an airport shuttle (which is hard to believe this is offered by an Alpharetta hotel BTW), you'll leave the traffic issues to the drivers. Just allow extra time on Friday, but remember Atlanta car traffic can be bad any time based on accidents and road construction delays.

I personally hate Atlanta airport. I was flying from Charlotte to Vegas with a layover in Atlanta via Delta. Rudest bunch of people I've ever encountered. Whoever coined the term 'southern hospitality' needs to fly through Atlanta.

Retsio is right. I know you probably tried to save money by flying Southwest, but the Atlanta airport is all about Delta. Despite that, the inside transport system here is unsurpassed by any other airport I have been to, and I have travelled most places in the world. Therefore, as others stated, your issue will be getting to and from Alpharetta from the airport, but if you have an airport shuttle (which is hard to believe this is offered by an Alpharetta hotel BTW), you'll leave the traffic issues to the drivers. Just allow extra time on Friday, but remember Atlanta car traffic can be bad any time based on accidents and road construction delays.

Well it wasn't me that tried to save money it was the company I work for. LOL.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Hotel set up the limo service. Its with a company called Quick Taxi and Limo. Apparently thats who they use when their customers need a ride.

I'm with Ranger Dan... Its an airport, what's the big deal? Plus it sounds like you're an experienced traveler. An airport is an airport, at least in this country. Its not like you're flying to a remote airstrip in Africa. Give yourself plenty of time, read the signs, ask for help if you need it. You'll be fine. I never heard of someone who has flown before being worried about a particular airport. Very strange.

I hear what your saying but I'm a nervous "traveler" I'm fine once I get on the plane. LOL.

Regarding the folks that are banging on flying Southwest instead of Delta, I have to beg to differ. I usually find it much better to fly on a carrier that is NOT the hub airline at a particular airport. The non-hub airlines usually have much shorter check-in lines and fewer delays and cancellations. You will have more flight choices with the hub airline if your travel plans are uncertain, but I have had much better luck avoiding Delta at ATL, United at O'Hare, American in Dallas, etc.

Safe travels to the OP.

Reactions: michnittlion
Thanks man, thats awesome info.
I've never been to Hartsfield before so thats one of the reasons I'm a little nervous. Been in and out of BWI tons of times and thats a pretty easy airport. Mostly flown through Denver, San Diego, Dallas, Phoenix, Tucson, Alba.
I'm not doing a car rental I'm getting a shuttle service to the Hotel and back...in Alpharetta.

No car in Alpharetta will be somewhat of a pain. Not sure where you're staying but it can be pretty spread out.

Most likely your ride will meet you at the top of the escalator after getting off the "plane train" (Yes, that's what they call it). Limo drivers will be to the left when you get off and baggage claim will be to the right at the "North" baggage claim. South baggage claim is all Delta,

If you get to the airport early and some time to kill, the Sweetwater pub on concourse B pours the local craft beer, Sweetwater, for an exceptionally reasonable (by airport standards) $6 a pint. The food there is nothing to write home about though. The signature beer is called 420 and is a Pale Ale. There do some double entendre's with some of their other beer names also (happy ending, summer hummer, dank tank). They do make a nice beer.

Southwest is on concourse C.

No car in Alpharetta will be somewhat of a pain. Not sure where you're staying but it can be pretty spread out.

Most likely your ride will meet you at the top of the escalator after getting off the "plane train" (Yes, that's what they call it). Limo drivers will be to the left when you get off and baggage claim will be to the right at the "North" baggage claim. South baggage claim is all Delta,

If you get to the airport early and some time to kill, the Sweetwater pub on concourse B pours the local craft beer, Sweetwater, for an exceptionally reasonable (by airport standards) $6 a pint. The food there is nothing to write home about though. The signature beer is called 420 and is a Pale Ale. There do some double entendre's with some of their other beer names also (happy ending, summer hummer, dank tank). They do make a nice beer.

Southwest is on concourse C.

Thanks again thats really helpful.
I'm at the Hyatt Place. I'm on a pretty tight and info filled training session so there really won't be a lot time for sightseeing anyway. Although I would love to see them filming The Walking Dead.
I work in the same building/complex that House of Cards is filmed in so I get to see some of that being done. Truth be told though to the natives it can be a pain in the ass. For instance they were filming an out door scene last Fri. and they wouldn't let anyone out of the parking lot for 45 minutes. Not what I want on a Friday night and if it would have been football season I would have been running the gauntlet. LOL.

Last edited:
Atlanta is one of the easiest airports to navigate internally. Easy to understand and the rail system is very convenient. I've been through it many times, both as a stop and layover. Maybe some is because I'm familiar with it, but from a convenience factor, my favorite major airport. Others may have better restaurants, etc but I'm talking ease of navigating... which so many airports fail at. I swear, airport architects must be failed maze designers.

We were just there 2 weeks ago. A complete nightmare. We left a town a little closer to the airport than Alpharetta and it took us every bit of 90 minutes to get there. Once we dropped the rental car off we stood in security for over an hour. We had to beg people in front of us to let us jump line. People were pissed off. Several times during the hour plus in the security line people just lifted their tickets in the air and said "missed my flight"! We fly United and the United Premier line was "CLOSED". Yep...just closed. The TSA line was open but empty. Made no sense
We asked one of the guards for help and he basically said sorry I can't help you.
We made our flight by less than 5 minutes...boarding was already done.
Sorry but that was our experience.

Airport sucks ...... easy to get around but planes always seem to be late, coming and going. Hate that airport.

BBrown, I am sure you have survived the Southwest 6:30AM madness at BWI. Atlanta is the same mess, bigger movie screen.

I was on a project in Chicago that lasted about two years so was regularly flying between Atlanta and O'Hare. Regular flights between the two busiest airports in the US is not something I would recommend to anyone.

I'm in Atlanta now (waiting for a flight to Phoenix) ----- what a zoo. I forgot how horrible Saturday AMs can be at airports like ATL. Lots of folk who don't regularly fly, all walking around aimlessly as they look for their connecting flight to somewere in the Caribbean.

I do like Terminal E. There's always some (relative) peace and tranquility down here --- makes it a good place to hang out if it's a relatively long layover.

I'm in Atlanta now (waiting for a flight to Phoenix) ----- what a zoo. I forgot how horrible Saturday AMs can be at airports like ATL. Lots of folk who don't regularly fly, all walking around aimlessly as they look for their connecting flight to somewere in the Caribbean.

I do like Terminal E. There's always some (relative) peace and tranquility down here --- makes it a good place to hang out if it's a relatively long layover.
Yes, the "I've never flown before crowd" can be quite annoying, and they're too self absorbed to get out of the way until they figure out where to go. They're like all the tourists in NYC. Walking 3 abreast at a snails pace, giggling, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk. GTF out of the way, we have places to go people! LOL My favorite are the ones who get off a crowded subway, go to the top of the stairs at street level, and stop to look around to figure out where they are. Hello? There are people behind you coming up the stairs. There should be a law that we're allowed to push those people out of the way without penalty. In fact, they should get ticketed. I'm only half kidding. LOL

Well, the worst airport still beats Greyhound and / or Trailways!

And remember, when you die, you still have to go through the Atlanta airport whether going to heaven or hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT