ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tour copter crash in Grand Canyon kills 7.....updated

We have often discussed travel to this area on this board. The tour copters are a frequent recommendation.

This tour included a plane ride via Air Vegas to Grand Canyon West Airport, where the copter was boarded.

Very sad.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/helicopter-crash-kills-7-in-grand-canyon/81919304
When my wife and I visited the Grand Canyon last spring, we thought about a helicopter tour and quickly decided against it. There were certainly lots of people who got on board. Tragic news. Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
wow very sad.

do not know about the company that operates out of the GC airport, but we took a tour straight from Vegas on Maverick 10 years ago, one of the best trips we ever did copters appeared very high tech and safe

Despite the news of 7 dead that was reported in the story I posted, multiple outlets are reporting only 3 dead, and the others being seriously injured.

It'll be interesting to see what happened. Simple pilot error? Or was there some atypical wind gust at the time?

wow very sad.

do not know about the company that operates out of the GC airport, but we took a tour straight from Vegas on Maverick 10 years ago, one of the best trips we ever did copters appeared very high tech and safe
Its papillon helicopter tours. It’s one of the best out there. We did this tour when we went to the fiesta bowl. Seemed like a very good operation when I was there. I can’t imagine what went wrong.

We did one of these tours a number of years ago. I remember that we dropped into the Canyon, and the rise out was really close to the walls. The pilot explained they had to get close to the wall in order to get the lift that they get from air patterns in the Canyon. This one hit going into the Canyon.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Its papillon helicopter tours. It’s one of the best out there. We did this tour when we went to the fiesta bowl. Seemed like a very good operation when I was there. I can’t imagine what went wrong.
We went to the canyon a few days after the Fiesta Bowl, but didn't do a helicopter tour. Just heard on news this morning that Papillon has had 16 incidents in past 18 years. Not sure how severe the incidents were, other than this one, but 16 is an awful lot.

As a former helicopter pilot we have to consider other possibilities besides pilot error. Was there some mechanical malfunction that caused the pilot to get too close to the wall. Or did something else cause him to lose track of where he was and take his attention elsewhere. We need a complete investigation into what happened to allow us to prevent this from happening again. In any case my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

ADVERTISEMENT