- big 33 featuring best players from OH&PA
- Keith Jackson
- cut off jerseys just below the chest
- UT & aTm on Thanksgiving
- Barry Sanders in the NFL
- fewer bowl games that meant something
- good matchups on Thursday night
- pro-style offenses
- Qb’s wearing #’s in the 20’s(so cool lol)
- Spurrier always taking shots at UT&FSU

what else guys? Trying to get through this slow off season...

Reactions: fairgambit
- kickoff classic game to open season NYC
- Keith Jackson
- pro-style offenses

I like all of yours, so here are a few to add to the list ...

- No constant announcements in the stadium every frickin minute the game isn't going on
- Big neck pads (last seen on Jason Cabinda)
- Fullbacks
- Wishbone
- Dominating defenses
- Marshmallow fights in the student section
- 'Go Bananas' and 'When I say JoePa you say Terno' cheers

fiesta02.jpg

- Keith Jackson
- pro-style offenses

When cheerleaders were better at cheering than acrobatics and looked less like strumpets.

When the BigTen had only 10 teams and Penn State was not one of them.

Last edited:
- Keith Jackson
- pro-style offenses

'ro beat me to it: Joe.

Some really great points so far, plus, I miss ...

-- linebackers who flat out terrified opposing offenses
-- power-rushing offense and bone-crushing defense
-- 14-10 type games where every snap was contested and the game was exciting without 12 passing touchdowns
-- ESPN not having 40 announcers with Buckeye or wolverine roots
-- not hearing the word sanctions during a Penn State game
-- listening to announcers who had no agenda to push as they simply called the game
-- enjoying a Penn State scoring or critically successful play without expecting the yellow "flag" sign to appear on the screen
-- sitting around with old friends with ties to UT and TAMU, arguing why "Eastern" football was as good as any other
-- expecting (even if naively so) that all games were officiated without blatant bias (i.e., years before there were Honig, Witvoet, Lemonier, and O'Neill)
-- listening to Joe during the Blue-White game

Some really great points so far, plus, I miss ...

-- linebackers who flat out terrified opposing offenses
-- power-rushing offense and bone-crushing defense
-- 14-10 type games where every snap was contested and the game was exciting without 12 passing touchdowns
-- ESPN not having 40 announcers with Buckeye or wolverine roots
-- not hearing the word sanctions during a Penn State game
-- listening to announcers who had no agenda to push as they simply called the game
-- enjoying a Penn State scoring or critically successful play without expecting the yellow "flag" sign to appear on the screen
-- sitting around with old friends with ties to UT and TAMU, arguing why "Eastern" football was as good as any other
-- expecting (even if naively so) that all games were officiated without blatant bias (i.e., years before there were Honig, Witvoet, Lemonier, and O'Neill)
-- listening to Joe during the Blue-White game

True dat. Such a rarity these days.

When conferences were small enough that everybody could play everybody else every year (and twice in hoops).

When you could watch a game and have the coverage but just that of the game you were watching instead of also interviews with the left guards 3rd cousin while a play was happening and the announcers telling you what was going to be on the network later and going back to the studio for highlights of other games instead of showing me a replay of the interesting play that just happened, etc.

Reactions: psu00
Watching a full game, without the highlights of some other game going on, i don't care.

Last edited:
- Keith Jackson
- pro-style offenses

what else guys? Trying to get through this slow off season...[/QUOTE]
I formation blast / lead and toss sweep plays...

- Keith Jackson
- pro-style offenses

No domed stadiums. Games played in mud, ice, snow, cold, rain.

football-nfc-playoffs-view-of-groundskeeper-using-flame-thrower-to-picture-id139023227

Kashmir from Led Zepplin during Penn State pre-game warmups

When Monday night football was special as opposed to NFL games 4 days a week

The Football Follies NFL films - specifically those voiced by Mel Blanc.

Not having to think which of a dozen channels could a PSU game be on. Honestly ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, Fox, FS1, FS2, BTN, BTN2 etc. And in a few years we could potentially have to look for games on social media platforms and/or Amazon Prime.

Reactions: nittanyjoe
Sports "news" being about on-field topics instead of all of the off the field crap we hear about these days. Lead stories seem to be more about legal issues, transfers, accusations, rumors, etc. I miss when it was mostly boxscores and team/player performance commentary.

Linemen under 300 pounds.
2 wideout sets
9win teams not making bowls
No graphics on the screen
Viewing without fantasy football
Keith Jackson
Irv Cross
Hearing the phrase “You are looking live . . .” at 12:55 pm

No graphics on the screen

Sometimes I like the graphics on the screen but sometimes I don't. You'd think with all the tech they have now they could give you a choice. Push a remote button and the graphics come on, push it again and they go off.

What especially bugs me are the crawl at the bottom of the screen, as if it's 1975 and there is no other way for me to know what the scores are in other games going on. And it's especially bad when it starts giving you info on golf and tennis and exhibition hockey and basketball, yadda, yadda. Big distraction.

Reactions: Nitwit97
This might be controversial but I miss the 1980’s era Penn State Pitt games.
Back when Pitt still had a viable program and a decent amount of fans around to fuel the rivalry.

But the schedules now are fine, we still get plenty of big games at home. And there is nothing like a white out game at the Beav.
Overall, it’s a great time to be a football fan. For example, back in 82 the PSU Bama game wasn’t televised in my area of PA.
Now every game is on HD in surround sound.
Yea the interviews are annoying but it’s better than not watching the game at all.
The boatload of commercials during Home games is annoying too but those commercials pay the bills and allow me to watch away games.
I don’t mind the piped in music in Beaver Stadium but at times they need to dial it back a bit.

Sneaking 6 cans of beer into Beaver Stadium, stuck in the sleeves of my jacket that was slung over my shoulder.

Knowing to wait to remove said brews from the jacket sleeves until I got into my seat and had a few folks around me.

Being able to hear and enjoy the Blue Band during the game breaks - I know, I;m an old fart.

Reactions: nittanyjoe
1. Being able to see Mount Nittany from the inside of Beaver Stadium. I know why we did it. But the South End Zone upper deck took something away aesthetically.

2. High-quality games in the Noon spot (Noon games are typically - though not always - lower-tier games these days).

3. The B1G regular season ending the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving.

4. Colorado and Nebraska in the Big XII, BYU and Utah in the MWC, Marshall in the MAC. We have some weird conferences these days.

5. ESPN's college football theme music from the mid-90s. Ron Franklin on play-by-play for the ESPN Prime Time game (he was fired for a good reason - I still do miss him though, great pxp guy).

Last edited:
Reactions: grinagrin
Friday Nights - high school

Saturday Afternoons - college (with the pass-happy WAC game of the week on Saturday night)

Sunday Afternoons - NFL (and Monday night).

Period.

About eleventy million players from Bama or Texas or whatever running onto the field from beneath the stands.

Sneaking 6 cans of beer into Beaver Stadium, stuck in the sleeves of my jacket that was slung over my shoulder.

Knowing to wait to remove said brews from the jacket sleeves until I got into my seat and had a few folks around me.

Being able to hear and enjoy the Blue Band during the game breaks - I know, I;m an old fart.

You're not old - you're just an alcoholic ;)

Reactions: massimoManca II
  • 1:00 kick offs, Noon is too early.
  • Parking in the area that's now Lubrano Park
  • Marshmallows in the student section. Wouldn't they go well with a whiteout?

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
1:30 kickoffs

Announcers, who talked when it was called, but otherwise kept their mouths closed

College marching bands

Free student tickets, $6-7 non- student tickets

Mark D'Onofrio spitting in Glenn Foleys face after sacking him.
Badass rogue linebackers in the mold of Bauer and D'Onofrio.
And I agree with a previous poster, really miss the horse collar neck pads. Glad to see it back on Cabinda last year. Should be standard equipment issue at LBU!

Football Ambience = no music except from the Band(s) and true sounds of the stadium atmosphere

this post is as a member of the get off my lawn crowd

psuhist7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT