ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The use of "et al. " ....

CF LION

May 29, 2001
I sometimes use et al. in an email when addressing a large group that has a primary recipient but am including others as a courtesy or for informational purposes.

For example, I may start an email with:

Michael et al. -

Blah, blah, blah.....

Best,
CF Lion

Not sure if this is correct/proper/appropriate.

Whaddya think? I have an email written with this salutation waiting to send ......

I sometimes use et al. in an email when addressing a large group that has a primary recipient but am including others as a courtesy or for informational purposes.

Michael et al. -

Blah, blah, blah.....

Best,
CF Lion

Whaddya think? I have an email written with this salutation waiting to send ......
It is correct/proper but appropriateness has gotta be your call (suffice it to say it's not a warm term). As an alternative, consider addressing your specific audience last. For example:

Gentlemen and Michael -

:D

Michael et al. -

Blah, blah, blah.....

Best,
CF Lion

Should be fine. Et al means others. Makes more sense than rattling off the list, unless it's only 2-3.

It is correct/proper but appropriateness has gotta be your call (suffice it to say it's not a warm term). As an alternative, consider addressing your specific audience last. For example:

Gentlemen and Michael -

:D

Doesn't take into account gender, and I'm limiting it to two, of the recipients. "Ladies and gentlemen" makes the writer sound like a ring announcer. "Folks?" "People?" How about "you know who you are"?:)

Michael et al. -

Blah, blah, blah.....

Best,
CF Lion

informally and internally, I start with "Team". Outside the company, I just say "good day," "good morning" or "good afternoon".

informally and internally, I start with "Team". Outside the company, I just say "good day," "good morning" or "good afternoon".

This email goes to both internal and external recipients. In this instance, Michael is the guy paying the bills.

This email goes to both internal and external recipients. In this instance, Michael is the guy paying the bills.
If a vendor/customer relationship where you are well aligned, I've got no problem with "team". i try to stay away from gender terms like guys and gals. If more formal, I start with a simple "good day". I send it to one person, the target, and CC in everyone else. I find emails sent to more than one person confuses action items and responsibilities.

Remember the old TV theme song?
"With Gilligan, the Skipper too, the Millionaire and his wife, the movie star, et al."

Michael et al. -

Blah, blah, blah.....

Best,
CF Lion

I wouldn't use this in the salutation (even though it is grammatically correct) because it diminishes everyone who is not Michael. If the email is really only to Michael, then "cc" everyone else (this basically means "just keeping you in the loop here).

I primarily use "et al" when referring to a group in the third person (i.e. they are not part of the conversation but I reference the work of Smith et al), or obviously, in formal reference/works cited lists.

I wouldn't use this in the salutation (even though it is grammatically correct) because it diminishes everyone who is not Michael. If the email is really only to Michael, then "cc" everyone else (this basically means "just keeping you in the loop here).

I primarily use "et al" when referring to a group in the third person (i.e. they are not part of the conversation but I reference the work of Smith et al), or obviously, in formal reference/works cited lists.

Good answer. I'll go with that.

I usually include “and people who look like you”.

Then I end with :eek: so people know I mean business.

Dear Hortense and people who look like you,

Blah, blah...

:eek:

Bob
tumblr_inline_n10gn28D661qgt12i.gif

Reminds me of one of those crazy offbeat overly expensive t-shirts that Fairgambit Enterprises might sell:

“Al’s wife was hungry so she et Al!”

Blah, blah...

Bob
Always add in "I have friends that look like you". That is always a good addition. I might suggest "and the horse you rode in on" depending on the mood of the email correspondence.

Blah, blah...

Bob
Always add in "I have friends that look like you". That is always a good addition. I might suggest "and the horse you rode in on" depending on the mood of the email correspondence.
Let's throw it on back to 2013 #TBT style

UPDATE: An analysis of Frazier's ensuing apologies can be found at this link: https://www.bkconnection.com/bkblog...stee-and-merck-ceo-kenneth-frazier-apologizes

Last edited:
Obli: Re your quite entertaining sig pic, are you sure that's a pan in front of the chef's midsection?

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT